Looney, Looney, Looney Bugs Bunny Movie

The Looney, Looney, Looney Bugs Bunny Movie More at IMDbPro »Looney, Looney, Looney Bugs Bunny Movie (original title)

EXCELLENT FOLLOWUP TO BUGS BUNNY/ROAD RUNNER MOVIE

Author: Bill Treadway (treads22@hotmail.com) from Queens, New York
8 August 2001

Friz Freleng's "Looney Looney Looney Bugs Bunny Movie" is an excellent followup to Chuck Jones' "Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Movie" which itself was a surprisingly good feature. This film follows the same formula as the 1979 film: classic shorts are combined with new bridging material to create a new feature.

Freleng's film is even better than the Jones film. The structure is actually very clever for a cartoon. Freleng divides his film into three parts. The first part showcases Freleng's classic Yosemite Sam/Bugs Bunny shorts. The story is that Sam makes a deal with the Devil to bring Bugs to hell. Included here is Sam vs Bugs in Rome (with the classic scene where Sam crosses the lions pit on stilts and Bugs tosses tools to the lions)and the unbearably funny short where Bugs impersonates Granny to save her fortune from a lecherous Sam. This segment is so well edited and timed that it could work as an episode of a Bugs Bunny sitcom.

Part Two showcases Freleng's Rocky shorts, the small gangster who Bugs tangles with. It's funny, but a comedown from the previous segment. Still, as a spoof of "The Untouchables" and "The Goose That Laid the Golden Egg" (with Daffy Duck as the goose), it scores.

Part Three is the best of them all. "The Oswald Awards" is a vicious satire of the Oscars. The ceremony, undeserved wins, the false glamour, it's all here. Included here are four of Freleng's all time best shorts: Birds Anonymous (the best Tweety/Sylvester cartoon), Three Little Bops (in its' entirety), High Diving Hare and Show Biz Bugs, the definitive Bugs/Daffy showdown with a memorable finale.

This is an enormously entertaining movie. Kids will love it because of the onscreen antics of Bugs Bunny and his cohorts. Adults will love the hidden injokes and innuendos that are laced in these cartoons. True, while it is better to view them as individual shorts, this works extremely well for a compliation and it is better to see them this way than to not see them at all.

**** out of 4 stars

there are many ways to arrange classic cartoons

Author: Lee Eisenberg (lee.eisenberg.pdx@gmail.com) from Portland, Oregon, USA
19 April 2007

I personally wouldn't say that "The Looney, Looney, Looney Bugs Bunny Movie" was the best Looney Tunes compilation ever, but it's still pretty entertaining. It starts with "Knighty Knight Bugs" (in which Bugs tries to steal the Singing Sword from black night Yosemite Sam), and then Bugs explains that the cartoon was directed by Friz Freleng, who directed this movie. In fact, Friz got an Oscar, but Bugs only got a carrot.

Then, we go the compilations: Yosemite Sam tries to kill Bugs but keeps getting sent to Hell (Satan is only too happy about this); Bugs becomes a cop and busts gangsters Rocky and Mugsy; and then, an Oscars-style awards ceremony at which the characters arrive in the most ostentatious limos imaginable. Nominees include the wolf and three little pigs ("Three Little Bops"), Sylvester and Tweety ("Birds Anonymous"), and others. But sure enough, Daffy believes that he and only he can win...or can he? I guess that if I have a problem with what they portray here, it's that the whole thing seems sort of like self-congratulation. Then again, the Looney Tunes cartoons often made fun of Hollywood - just look at "The Scarlet Pumpernickel" - so they might be poking fun at the pomp and opulence inherit in the numerous award ceremonies every year.

Overall, I pretty much liked "TLLLBBM". As far as I'm concerned, as long as they still had Mel Blanc providing the characters' voices, it was worth seeing. Still, I can't help but wonder why they stressed Friz Freleng's cartoons; they should have had at least something about Chuck Jones's works.

All in all, pretty worthy.

Some good cartoons in here but there are much better ways to see them that this messy presentation

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
3 May 2004

In a three-act presentation, Bugs Bunny presents some old stories in a modern film. Act I sees Yosemite Sam deep in Hell with Satan. His only way out is to replace himself with another victim - and he picks Bugs bunny. Satan lets him out of Hell for several attempts to capture Bugs. In act II we see crime waves at a new high and Elegant Mess (Bugs) trying to stop the activities of mobster Rocky. In act III, the Oswald Awards (Warner Brothers gave up on trying to win an Oscar and thus made these instead) are presented to the actors who have made the most difference in the world of animation - an award that Daffy would give his beak to get.

I love the Warner Brother cartoons a great deal and will use any excuse I can get to watch the cartoons if I'm around - whether it be a hangover cure or entertaining kids when babysitting, I'll generally give them a try and find them funny. With this being a `proper' movie I felt I needed no such excuse and decided to sit and just watch it. Very quickly I realised that this cartoon was a barely concealed attempt to just show about 8 or 9 cartoons that had been edited together to roughly fit within each act. Of these cartoons, 4 or 5 are worth seeing, 1 or 2 are pretty poor and 2 are really great so, for my money, the film was just about worth watching. I have seen most of these cartoons before and my reviews are up for them on their specifics pages so I won't review them aside from my last comment, however what spoils them is the modern touches.

Most of the linking stuff is poor at best and doesn't really work. The animation is of a noticeably lower quality and it is forced to fit the cartoons they had available. The `stories' are pretty poor and it would have been much better just to do this as a sort of flashback film where the cartoons are just honestly presented rather than twisted. The cartoons are trimmed to fit the story but, worse than this, there are points where they have been undated to get rid of violence. The worst is the bit where Bugs throws a can up to shot it and ends up shooting Sam in the face - here they remove that and have him shot the can full of corks. Rubbish.

Overall this is just about worth seeing because the majority of the cartoons are enjoyable. However the presentation spoils some of them and is really stupid and disrespectful to the material. If this is your only way to see these cartoons then it is worth it but the question would be why not just go out and rent any of the dvd/video compilations that already exist and enjoy them as they were rather than as part of this last compilation.

Entertaining but my least favourite of the compilation films

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
10 July 2011

I do like these compilation films a lot, my favourites being QuackBusters and Bugs Bunny/Road-runner Movie. Looney, Looney, Looney Bugs Bunny Movie is entertaining but it is rather uneven too, part of the reason why this is my least favourite of the Looney Tunes compilation films.

I admit I quite liked Looney, Looney, Looney Bugs Bunny Movie's story structure, which is done in the equivalent of three acts. Act 1 involves Yosemite Sam and the Devil. I confess I dislike Devil's Feud Cake as a cartoon intensely finding it unfunny, unoriginal and little more than recycled material. However, it served perfectly as a premise and in the context of this film, and the result is actually is an entertaining, well-timed and in general well-edited segment, if rather high on predictability.

Act 2 focuses on Bugs and Rocky. For me this was the least effective of the segments making up the film's structure. Nothing's wrong with it as such, it is very clever and funny and less predictable than the previous segment. What lets it down, is that as an overall segment it is not as well-timed or edited. What elevates it though are the spoofs based on the Untouchables and the Goose that Laid the Golden Egg, which were among the highlights of the film.

To coin the phrase save the best until last. That is the case with the last act. Using an Oscar awards ceremony as the premise of the segment, it is quite a vicious but overall hilarious satire. And also I think the best animation of the film is in this segment.

The animation is mostly good, more in the cartoons featured than in the links, but there are some inconsistencies. The links sometimes do look cheap and lack the feel of the original shorts, something they'd perfect later. While the cartoons are beautifully animated mostly, there is one exception, and that's Devil's Feud Cake, it does look cheap compared to the rest and in all honesty despite having a cool idea and that it has Bugs and Sam in it it is one of the main reasons why I don't like that cartoon.

The music however is absolutely wonderful, the writing funny and witty and the sight gags in general fresh and inventive. The cartoons(Devil's Feud Cake excepted) range to good to outstanding, High Diving Hare and Birds Anomynous belonging in the outstanding category, while the characters are delightful. Bugs is undoubtedly the star, but that is not to dispute Rocky and Yosemite who are both excellent as well. The voice acting especially from Mel Blanc is brilliant. All in all, nice and entertaining but it was lacking a tad for me. 7/10 Bethany Cox

Just a Childhood Gem!

Author: VirtualSide from Illinois
8 November 2011

The first time I saw this movie was in the 90's, as a little kid. My dad saw it on TV and taped it so I watched it over and over many times. Needless to say, I loved it. In my opinion, it was everything that the Looney Tunes should be, and more. The new Looney Tunes show that is currently on Cartoon Network just does not compare to the classics. Even now, although I'm in my 20's, I still enjoy watching this movie (along with Quackbusters) any time I get the urge to watch Looney Tunes.

If you are a fan of throwback episodes of the Looney Tunes like Yosemite Sam/Bugs Bunny, Sylvester/Tweety or Bugs Bunny/Daffy Duck, then I strongly suggest that you watch this movie if you haven't already. You won't be disappointed!

That's NOT all, folks!

Author: Scott LeBrun (Hey_Sweden) from Canada
19 September 2016

This is a decent, at times uproarious Warner Bros. cartoon compilation, with all the beloved characters delivering the expected laughs. It showcases some classic moments for legendary animator Friz Freleng, while linking it all together with new material.

Bugs kicks off the proceedings by introducing the short that won Freleng an Oscar, "Knighty Knight Bugs", in which the unflappable rabbit sets out to steal back the wondrous "Singing Sword" from the dastardly Black Knight (a.k.a. Yosemite Sam).

From there the action is divided into three acts: "Satan's Waiting", in which great Bugs vs. Sam moments are interwoven into a tale of Sam desperately trying to weasel his way out of Hell by offering Satan a replacement. Sam was always my favorite Looney Tune character, and watching him stew and rant and persistently try to get back at Bugs is hilarious stuff.

"The Unmentionables" prominently features gangster character Rocky, as Bugs plays Eliot Ness parody Elegant Mess, crack Federal agent assigned to bring him down. Warner Bros. had had such success with gangster classics like "Little Caesar" and "The Public Enemy", so it was only natural for them to use the Looney Tunes to make fun of this particular genre. This is fun stuff, but this viewers' least favorite segment of the movie.

Finally, we get to a cracking conclusion, "The Oswald Awards", a spot on skewering of Hollywood awards shows. The rivalry between Bugs and foul tempered Daffy Duck reaches a real fever pitch here. There's some good material with Sylvester and Tweety, and viewers are treated to an especially amusing short, "The Three Little Bops", which offers up a catchy ditty / spin on the old Three Pigs and the Big Bad Wolf tale.

It's still a treat to revisit these cartoon characters years later as an adult. Of course, with age and experience, one does appreciate more than just the priceless visual gags. There's some good material for adults, too, ex. a knight named "Sir Osis of the Liver".

Overall, a reasonably sharp and pretty funny collection of Looney Tunes insanity.

Seven out of 10.

A nice spoof to the academy award!

Author: tankace from athens
26 June 2016

This film is the equivalent to the Oscar nominations for the Looney Toones and it is nice to see who them are judge their work and the fun of seeing Daffy Duck trying desperately to win an award. So what did the flick made right?

First it understands it audiences, because even I ,who I was born in 1996 I had seen the majority of the short that are shown in the "theater". In other words it doesn't bother to give us expansions why these shorts are fun, we all know it ,the great part is when you these characters seating and watching themselves get hurt in more ways than one. SO meta that I wander,if Deadpool has this flick in DVD!)!

Secondary after we see for instance Sam try to kill Bugs Bunny in the scenes ,we see them after words in the theaters joke to each other that many think that are moral enemies, when they are just acting. THis true even now thirty five years after the opening many fans still are convinced that the actors who try to kill each other on the screen act the same way in the real world, when just do normal stuff like, go to the market and sped time with their loved ones.

Last but not least, apart from parodying the norm of Hollywood ,like Horror, crime and action clichés, the animosity between Duffy Duck and Bugs Bunny is funny as heel and we also see in what length are some people willing to go in order to win an award( What had to suffer poor DiCaprio with that Bear!!). In the end,it is a must what.

An unnecessary condensation...

Author: wrightiswright
29 August 2015

You can't go wrong with Looney Tunes, right? Before 1960... A definite NO. Afterwards... The answer isn't so clear.

Here we have some anarchic, action-packed, classic 5 minute long cartoons from the Golden Age of the studio... All hacked up, and stuck into a peculiar three act storyline involving Yosemite Sam trying to avoid getting sent to Hell, Bugs Bunny as an FBI agent and an animation award ceremony.

So, basically it's a clip show, with some newly added material... The problem is, you can tell where the old stuff ends and the modern animation starts... Due to the blatant difference in style and voice-over. It's all very distracting, and only succeeds in taking your attention away from the film to trying to spot the discrepancy. It isn't difficult, put it that way.

It would help if the framing device for the old cartoons was better, as well... But, as common with a lot of the more recent Looney Tunes output, it simply lacks any kind of spark compared to the inspired chaos of the studio's heyday. In the end, you wish you were watching the classic shorts as a standalone product, instead of bothering with this diluted, overlong imitation.

To calculate it up... The original cartoons 8/10 Everything else 4/10 OVERALL 6/10 Great, now I can have me dinner...

Excellent showcasing of a great animator's work.

Author: TheOneManBoxOffice from United States
16 August 2013

The late and great Friz Freling was without a doubt one of Warner Brothers' best animation directors in the studio's history. With a total of 5 Oscars and 2 Emmys under his belt (according to the film) while working for the Warners, he has created some of the most memorable animated shorts in film history, such as the Oscar-winning short "Knighty Knight Bugs" and the incredibly jazzy "Three Little Bops". Since the success of Chuck Jones' "The Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Movie" in 1978, it would only be fair if director Friz Freling had his own showcase film featuring some of his best work with the studio, thus the creation of "The Looney, Looney, Looney Bugs Bunny Movie" in 1981.

As I mentioned before, this film is a showcase of Friz Freling's best work while working for Warner Brothers Pictures. The difference however, between this and Jones' film is that story arcs are inserted in between the different shorts specifically chosen for this feature film. Because of this, the movie is split into three separate acts: "Satan's Waiting'", which focuses on Yosemite Sam's numerous failed attempts at catching/destroying Bugs, "The Unmentionables", which focuses primarily on shorts featuring the gangster Rocky, and finally "The Oswald Awards", which focuses on a fictional award ceremony specifically made for cartoon characters. In-between the shorts are animated story arcs made for the movie that are also directed by Freling, which is always welcome. However, a person who has viewed many a Looney Tunes short will notice that some of the shorts have been edited either for time constraints or to blend in with the current scenario, which I can understand. Thankfully, all of these shorts in their complete form can be found on numerous Looney Tunes compilation DVDs and Blu-Rays.

The main question is this, however, does this work in the movie's favor? The answer is a definite yes, because this is the studio's own special way of saying "thanks" to one of their own for their dedication and hard work that got them to where they're at today as a motion picture studio that specializes in entertaining audiences of all ages, and since Looney Tunes shorts are viewed by both children and adults all over the globe, this would work extremely well as a family feature. As a fan of animation myself, I really dug this flick. Anyone who is a dedicated fan of the Looney Tunes franchise will most likely enjoy this flick for what it is, and it is also a great addition for family movie nights.

Just another compilation of things we've seen a million times

Author: Arlis Fuson from United States
14 April 2010

This time we focus on more of the Friz Freleng shorts. It's just a compilation of shorts we all grew up with and not really a movie.

Here they try more of a theme as opposed to the first one. I love these cartoons, but I like to see something new and original when I see the word "movie" attached.

I liked this movie a lot more than the BUGS BUNNY/ROAD RUNNER MOVIE but I still give it 4 out of 10 stars.

Some highlights here include the infamous gangster, that was short in stature and based on gangsters from the 30's. Yosemite Sam and his many trips to Hell, he even says the word "Hell" which I always thought was cool.