IMDb > The Incredible Shrinking Woman (1981) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Incredible Shrinking Woman

Great 80's cheese

Author: Larry (artguylarry@yahoo.com) from Oklahoma City, OK
25 April 2003

Lily Tomlin has so many comedic talents. And they are all here in this film. Dry wit, dual roles (she's good at that), Ernestine the operator, Edith Ann, the little brat (in a deleted scene). Pure enjoyment. I remember seeing this as a kid. Now as an adult, I enjoy it again, being able to catch little pieces of the humor I never understood as a child. An adorable comedy is all this is. I read so many of these user comments and find too many people looking for some sort of message or spiritual enlightenment or an answer to the meaning of life. Get real. It's cute. Just enjoy it.

I loved this movie!

Author: sarahchew1212 from United States
4 November 2005

Granted, when I last watched this movie, I was probably no more than 10 years old, but it has stuck with me and I would love to see it again! Though others may think the graphics and effects were lame, I look at it this way: it was the 80's...all movies that have effects and such look lame now that we've gone digital and become more technologically advanced. To me, the premise and the antics are what carries this movie in a way that it's a must have in any comedy fan's video library. The physical comedy that stems from Lily Tomlin's vertically challenging situation is pure fun. C'mon, how could the antics from shrinking at a rapid pace NOT be funny?!?!? Now, just have to find it so my daughters can share in the experience...

Great 80's Movie

Author: irsheyes from Albany, New York
26 January 2003

Captured that turn towords the 80's average subburban family, as captured in so many movies like Close encounters, E.T., Poltergeist, Goonies, Mr.Mom and so many other great films of that era. When an ordinary busy family meets troubles of great proportions. I recommend this one as a fun family movie. Looking for this one on DVD.

Down memory lane!

Author: Heather Private-Belk from United States
30 September 2005

This movie is pure family fun. I remember watching it when I was very little and look forward to watching it again with my daughter. Very cute and would suggest it to anyone who enjoys a good old 80's flick. I can personally say that these days we need more films like this. Nothing is too inappropriate for children, and it's guaranteed to make you laugh! This is one you will never forget! Lily Tomlin is great in this movie. I personally think she is one of the masters of comedy, and own several of movies she is in. One of my favorite parts in the movie is when she is in the doll house. I can remember when I used to play with dolls and wanting to live inside of their home. This was too funny and cute! I just know my daughter will love it and if you have kids..I am sure they will love it too!

Absolutely wild and wacky fantasy that you will surely enjoy

Author: Grace Zeh (filmgirlgz@gmail.com) from Chantilly, Virginia, USA
17 November 2006

THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING WOMAN, in my opinion, is an absolutely wild and wacky fantasy that you will surely enjoy. If you ask me, the disposal was the scariest obstacle that Pat (Lily Tomlin) encountered. Don't get me wrong, but I thought that it was funny when she shrunk. Some of the obstacles she encountered were funny, too. Only some of them were a little gross. There is just one things that puzzles me. That one thing is how household chemicals could shrink someone. In conclusion, if you like Lily Tomlin or hilarious fantasies, I highly recommend this absolutely wild and wacky fantasy that you will surely enjoy. You're in for a wild ride if you haven't seen it, so hold on tight!

WARNING-May have spoilers within!

Author: alliev82 from Jersey shore USA
17 October 2000

You have to pity Lily Tomlin. In "9 to 5," she was underappreciated and underpaid at work, in "All of Me," she dies and gets trapped in Steve Martin's body, and as if life couldn't get any harder, she shrinks to new heights in "The Incredible Shrinking Woman."

This film was merely an exploitation of product commercialism, and promotes fictionous and strange products, such as Sexpot Perfume, Galaxy glue, and other fascinating products that Judith Beasley hocks to housewife Pat Kramer.

Tomlin plays both Pat Kramer, the incredible shrinking woman, and Judith Beasley, the consumer-minded neighbor with the cool accent and the funky glasses, who knows a good deal when she sees one. Pat is simply a normal woman who comes into contact with various chemicals in her daily life, and suddenly begins to shrink. At first, its a mere two inches, but eventually, its a few inches a day (SORRY ABOUT THIS ONE).

Charles Grodin plays her sex-starved husband Vance, who is scared for his wife. If you've seen "9 to 5" (the greatest workplace film of the 80s), then you remember Violet Newstead calling that lady Roz "General Patton." Well, "Roz" pays Dr. ruth Ruth, and is exactly the same character in both films, mean and sneaky.

If you plan to see this film, you may have to hit the 5 nite rental shelf at the video store with all the other old films, because it is a rare TV find. I was lucky enough to catch it edited on TNT, but I didn't notice much editing, which I can usually detect. Expect a cameo by another great Tomlin character (I won't spoil this one!).

This film may not suit everybody, but if you're a Lily Tomlin fan, you may enjoy it! My word choice is suddenly shrinking, so this is where the review ends.

An incredibly funny movie

Author: nicegirl90247 from Gardena, U.S.A
12 March 2005

This is one of Lily Tomlin's best movies. It's kind of corny, but it's supposed to be. Did anyone notice the bright colors, that satire the 70's, like the lime green? It's charming and amusing, and as a kid, I guess when Pat disappeared it was a little scary, but I knew she would be OK, because she was the star of the movie. It was not that scary, I've seen a lot worse. Most of all, it's very entertaining, and not the least bit tedious if you have a sense of humor and a good imagination. When you watch a movie like this, you have to suspend your disbelief and let your inner child out. This is one of my favorite comedies. Lily is great!

I thought it was good

Author: stephencassidy from Foreverville, Connecticut
24 June 2001

Maybe its because I remember seeing this movie on TV so often when I was younger that I still think its hilarious. Its not the best comedy, but some scenes are really funny in a cheesy, early '80s sort of way. Lily Tomlins smile could brighten up any film, and this was directed by Joel Schumacher. I never could figure out why the cinematography in some scenes is so soft, and he actually employs some of the same visuals he would use in later movies. I like how her entire neighborhood seems to be living in a commercial ("Pat, its BoatSheen!") and I think her narration is particularly funny. Give it a chance, don't expect much, and enjoy it for the character actors in bit parts.

Loved this Lily Tomlin movie from the 80's when I was a kid.

Author: Aaron1375
21 January 2011

If I were still a child I would perhaps give it a higher score, but from what I remember it did get a bit lame at times and the effects while good for a kid would not stand up as well now. Still, it was a funny movie about a woman whose husband is like with an ad office or with a company that makes a lot of different products. Whatever he was, his job made it so his wife came into contact with a lot of different products which in turn causes her to start to become smaller and smaller. At first there are just a few subtle signs like her appearance at a window, but soon it becomes very apparent. While she gets shorter and shorter she gains the attention of a rather dangerous person and ends up imprisoned. The film for the most part is funny, kind of strange turns here and there such as the monkey, but hey it was never meant to be a serious film. It does though get a bit to dark in the end for the type of movie it was up until that point. Still, Lily Tomlin is great in the lead role as the shrinking woman and Charles Grodin does an admirable job as the father, though it is a role he can do in his sleep.

Incredible Stinking Movie

Author: JZvezda
1 March 2003

12 and under cinema.

I saw this in the theater when I was 11, liked it, and filed the memory of it under "good movie" in my mental cache. All of it's socio-political subtext --endless stabs at Madison Avenue, mass marketing and gross consumerism: Pat is a pimped-out product whore in the merciless clutches of her scAmway-pushing neighbor, and it eventually begins eating away at her, quite literally-- these bits of 'wink-wink' adult humor sailed right over my Bazooka gum-chomping, 11 year-old head.

The fun in "Incredible Shrinking Woman" was the ignorance to the script's so-called message. What tickled us kiddies in the audience was the sight of a pocket-sized Lily Tomlin sporting plastic Barbie sneakers, bedding down at night on a cot in the Barbie Dream House, and cruising down the hallway carpet in an out-of-control Barbie Dream Car. And when the 10-inch version of Pat attempts to perform her daily chores, such as washing the dishes...hee hee... fun stuff if you're a kid.

This flick resurfaced on cable recently, I was reminded that most of what we liked as 11 year olds is pretty cringe-worthy to us as adults. But I went ahead and watched it anyway because it has 3 things working for it:

-Lily Tomlin