IMDb > History of the World: Part I (1981) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 9 of 14: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

You have to watch this

Author: maciejc from United Kingdom
6 April 2006

There's no way you can hope to catch all the jokes in this movie (visual or verbal) without watching it multiple times. I have seen it at least 20 times and I still see things I missed before. This is one you have to see.

You expect to see many gags in a Brooks movie, but this has to be one of his greatest ever.

The whole cast is wonderful, with Hines and Kahn spectacular. Brooks is his usual self-effacing, brilliant self.

It's just such a shame that Part II was never made - Hitler on Ice and Jews in Space would have been phenomenal !

The Roman and French eras are the best, IMHO, but there's not a weak minute in the movie.

Watch out for the bit where Comicvs and Swiftvs meet Oedipus -that's just a scream.

And as for the stand-up Philosopher at Caesar's Palace, well that is the icing on the cake.

Funny, but dirty.

Author: Brady Redfearn from United States
5 April 2006

First off, I've always been very appreciative of the hilarious genius of Mel Brooks, and this movie is no disappointment. Now, I didn't really know anything about it other than everyone has told me it is funny. So we watched it in my Honors-3 class this morning and there was some amazing genius in it. I especially love how Brooks, in all his movies, plays several different roles. I figure, if you want it done right, sometimes you just have to do it yourself.

However funny it might be, there are definitely some raunchy parts. Which were pretty uncomfortable in a class setting, especially when we had several young folks in the room. I found out when I got home today that it was rated R. Woops. There is no way that it would be rated that today though. There isn't any nudity, its just a WHOLE lot of sexual jokes. It wasn't any worse than the play version of The Producers that I saw in New York last August, if that's any measure.

One of the funniest parodies ever!

Author: bartonim from Japan
3 April 2006

Mel Brooks may have reached his peak with this one. Nothing he's been connected with since has equaled History...Part 1. There are some great comic performances here, not least by Brooks himself, but also the always brilliant Madeline Kahn, Dom DeLuise (as a belching, flatulent Caesar) and the late Gregory Hines. Sid Caesar, Cloris Leachman and Harvey Korman turn in some hilarious bits to this brief history of western civilization.

Orson Welles narrates, adding an air of subsection to the whole affair--but never too much to dampen the humour, which is often quite bawdy and risqué.

A classic comedy worth seeing again and again. Perhaps not quite as good as Blazing Saddles or Young Frankenstein, nonetheless History...Part 1 will satisfy anybody's need to have their funny bone tickled.

watching Mell Brooks movies

Author: bykos10 from United States
16 March 2006

at the end of the movie,Mell Brooks talks about a sequel to the movie called history of the world part 2.will it ever get made? or was this just another comedy statement made to either throw us off or to be sarcastic??-let me know.i loved the movie,and thought after i saw the ending that there was going to be a part 2.Mell Brooks a funny man and a good writer.i am hoping that there will be a part 2 soon.i am hoping that it will also contain the same cast that was in the first movie.i have loved all the movies Mell Brooks has made.He is also a good director.I have watched all the movies Mell Brooks has made many many times.I will never get tired of watching them.

History can be fun

Author: MAUREEN from Philadelphia, PA
3 October 2005

If you are expecting an astute account of world history, you'll be disappointed, though not sadly. Mel Brooks puts together an outrageous array of characters who portray early history and speak their minds with silly lines and double-entendres. Dom Deluise is a stand-out as Caesar -- I would say his part is almost the best reason for renting the film. Madeleine Kahn is also excellent as Empress Nympho. The movie is corny at times, pokes fun at itself, and sometimes goes too far.... or does it? Nothing is going too far for Mel Brooks! The urinating scenes are a bit much, but if you take it in the spirit intended, it's quite funny. Maybe we'll be a little more grateful we have modern plumbing! Mel Brooks makes us feel like we're really at the time period portrayed. Surely the folks back then told dumb jokes, wore some silly clothes, and had some strange customs. History had some lively characters we can relate to today.

Finally, if you're easily offended, you'll be very offended watching this movie. Perhaps rent the movie and try not to take things so seriously!

"Knight jumps queen! Bishop jumps queen! Pawns jump queen! *Gangbang*! " - King Louis XVI

Author: Michael Margetis (pmargetis@cox.net) from United States
16 September 2005

'History of the World Part I' might not be Mel Brook's best cinematic achievement (Young Frankenstein probably is), but it definitely one of the funniest. 'History of the World Part I' pokes fun at the history of the world from the caveman days to the future featuring 'Jews in Space." The film is so jam-packed with cheeky puns and non-stop hilarity, you would have to be a eunuch or dead not to get a kick out of it. Mel Brooks plays the majority of the characters including Comicus - a stand-up philosopher in the Roman times, Abraham from the Old Testament, the voice of God, Torquemada - a ruthless conquistador in the Spanish inquisition with a knack for song and dance, King Louis XVI, and a servant boy who collects other people's urine. The movie features a lot of comedians including Cloris Leachman as a rebellious leader of the poor in 18th century France, Dom DeLuise as Nero, Madeline Kahn as his promiscuous wife, Empress Nympho, Gregory Hines as a black Jewish slave in the Roman times and Harvey Korman as Count de Money (MONET!!!!). If you are looking for a hilarious comedy that will both entertain you and excite you, make sure to pick up Mel Brooks' comedic gem 'History of the World Part I'. Keep an eye out for 'History of the World Part II' featuring Hitler on Ice and Jews in Space. Grade: B

Mel Brooks actor, writer and director.

Author: Joseph P. Ulibas (sirjosephu@aol.com) from Sacramento, CA
27 August 2005

History of the World: Part One (1981) is a funny and hilarious comedy that chronicles the history of western civilization from the stone age 'til the French Revolution. Mel Brooks knows his history and he adds a lot of odd references that a history buff will easily pick out. Mel Brooks also stars in this film as Comicus, Moses, King Louis XVI, Torquemada and a Royal employee. Dom De Luise co-stars as Emperor Nero, Madeline Khan as Empress Nympho, Gregory Hines as Josephus (a part clearly written for Richard Pryor who bowed out early in pre-production due to personal demons), Harvey Korman as Count De Money are some of Mel Brooks regulars who appear in this film. Watch out for a lot of stand-up comics who have cameo roles in this film.

The title (a funny gag for history buffs as well) references the only volume of "The History of the World" that Sir Walter Raleigh wrote before he lost his head (figuratively and literally). A film that is highly overlooked in Mel Brooks' resume. If you love parodies and history then this one's just for you!

Highly recommended.

The best comedic movie I have ever seen

Author: Jessie Dias (diasjessie@hotmail.com) from Malaysia
23 September 2004

I absolutely love this movie. I saw in 1984 and went everywhere searching for it as I watched a rented tape. I finally managed to get it in 2001 when I went to Las Vegas and I was so happy. It is indeed the best comedic movie I have ever seen and I laugh my guts out every time I see it. Mel Brooks is a genius because he turned history into a comedy. You learn something about the past plus you get a really good laugh out of it. The cast blend in so well that everything fits amazingly. My favourite parts are when they were in Rome and France. When you read about past history, the story tellers leave out the small bits which Mel made sure was added into his story. Who knew history could so interesting. If you have not seen it, get the DVD or rent it. You will not regret it!

Great film. Endless Satire. Musical scenes tiring.

Author: Sean McNamara (EskimoBobGuy) from Massachusetts, USA
8 May 2004

I really enjoyed History of the World, Part I. I had the opportunity to view it on the AMC Channel last night. As with most movies, I'm sure its even better on video/DVD. I loved it though. The only problem I had was this: The Inquisition scene was too cheesy. corny and tiring. Had this scene been shorter and funnier, I would have rated it a perfect 10, rather than 8. It still scores very high in my book, however, as does most Mel Brooks works. I'd like to recommend this movie to anyone who enjoyed Robin Hood: Men in Tights, or Monty Python and the Holy Grail, as the comedy in them is much similar. Anyone who enjoys satire, even, would love this movie. I plan to get it on DVD or video if I get the chance, too! My one regret is I have yet to see even a preview for Part II. :(

Very Funny Film

Author: domino1003 from United States
12 December 2003

History as told by Mel Brooks is pretty funny. We go through several periods (The Dawn of Man, The 10 Commandments, The Roman Empire, The Spanish Inquistion, and The French Revolution). The best part is The Roman Empire because of the late, great Madeline Kahn as the Empress Nympho (And got some of the funniest lines, too!). The Inquistion musical number is a hoot, too. The French Revolution has Harvey Korman and Cloris Leachman, and has a very twisted ending. It is too bad that they never made a sequel(You'll just have to settle for the faux sequel at the end). One of Mel Brooks' best, along with Young Frankenstein, High Anxiety and Blazing Saddles.

Page 9 of 14: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]