IMDb > History of the World: Part I (1981) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
History of the World: Part I

History of the World: Part I More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 14: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Mel being Mel

Author: nZulauf71 from United States
6 June 2010

I am a guy that enjoys all of Mel Brooks movies that I have seen. That includes The Producers, Young Frankenstein, Blazing Saddles, Robin Hood, and Spaceballs, this is my second favorite out of this great group of comedies. This movie for me was a non-stop laugh from the stone age all the way to the French Revolution. I like Mel Brooks acting in his movies I think he is the funniest character in all the movies he acts in, this is no exception. Brooks is a mastermind in his writing of this movie and the acting. And Harvey Korman and Madeline Khan both give great performances like usual. This is a great spoof of the history of the world. Like Brooks says "I copy a lot of my jokes from other movies and make them better." The jokes made me laugh hard either when he gives his performance at Ceasars palace or when he is a waiter at the last supper. But my personal favorite is when he turns a serious subject (The Spanish Inquistion) into a laugh out loud music number. A History of the World is a good laugh. I recommend you watch the movie, I bought the movie on blu-ray without watching it and was deeply pleased. In Mel I trust!

i didn't find it funny except for one gag

Author: disdressed12 from Canada
7 February 2010

i may have managed a few few smiles here and there throughout the movie,but there was nothing about it would consider funny.actually,scratch that.there was one gag i did find a bit funny the fist couple of times.after that,it worse thin,though.i didn't find the movie boring though,and it was watchable.as a movie,it's not had bad.as a comedy,it's a different story if i hadn't known it was supposed to be a comedy,i would have had different expectations.i'm not sure why i didn't like it.maybe once you hit a certain age,Mel Brooks and his brand of humour doesn't work.anyway...for me,History of the World Part I is a 4/10

Mel Brooks' history lesson

Author: Petri Pelkonen (petri_pelkonen@hotmail.com) from Finland
8 January 2010

This Mel Brooks comedy takes us into different time periods.First we see the Dawn of Man, then we see the history of the Old Testament and some stand-up philosophy of the Roman Empire, singing and dancing of the Spanish Inquisition and finally the French Revolution with the nutty king.History of the World: Part I is from 1981.Where is part II, Mr. Brooks?! I was really waiting to see Hitler on ice.Orson Welles does the narrating.Sid Caesar is hilarious as the caveman.He doesn't have too many lines, but it's amazing what he can do just by grunting.Dom DeLuise, the great comedy talent who we sadly lost last year at 76, does brilliant job playing Emperor Caesar.Harvey Korman, who we lost the year before, does great job playing Count de Monet.The late great Madeline Kahn is Empress Nympho and the late great Gregory Hines plays Josephus.Ron Carey portrays Swiftus Lazarus.Pamela Stephenson plays Mademoiselle Rimbaud.Spike Milligan is Monsieur Rimbaud.Shecky Greene is Marcus Vindictus.Bea Arthur (1922-2009) plays Woman in Unemployment Booth.Mary-Margaret Humes is Vestal Virgin named Miriam.Hugh Hefner is seen as Roman outside Temple of Eros.Paul Mazursky is Roman Officer.Barry Levinson is Column Salesman.Jackie Mason is Jew #1.Phil Leeds is Chief Monk.John Hurt plays Jesus Christ himself.Carl Reiner is the voice of God himself.Mel Brooks himself hasn't settled for one role only.He plays the parts of Moses, Comicus, Tomas de Torquemada, Louis XVI of France and Jacques le Garcon de Pisse.He does exquisite job as all of those.This isn't the best Mel Brooks has come up with.But this is entertaining that makes you laugh quite a few times.Did you know that God originally gave Moses 15 Commandments, but then he dropped one of the tablets and it became 10 Commandments? That's what we learn in this movie in a hilarious way.In the Last Supper scene Comicus keeps interrupting Jesus repeatedly, and Leonardo da Vinci (?) comes to paint the group's portrait.The jokes performed at the Caesar's Place of the stand-up philosopher are quite funny.Maybe he goes a little over the line joking about Caesar's obesity and the corruption, and he finds himself fighting to the death in a gladiatorial manner with Josephus.The pissboy becoming the king...Hilarious."It's good to be the king".You don't have to pay too much attention during this history lesson.But you are allowed to laugh, though.

In the history of Brooks' films, my fav is still Spaceballs but this one is funny and breezy

Author: Amy Adler from Toledo, Ohio
13 April 2009

Starting with the Stone Age and ending with the French Revolution, this film has some very amusing vignettes. Caveman (Sid Caesar) learns about fire and vaudeville, when one of his fellow cavers gets hauled off a stage by a dinosaur. Next up is Moses (Mel Brooks himself) who is bringing down the "15 Commandments" but ends up dropping and pulverizing the tablet with five of the biggies on it. Much time is spent telling the "true" story of Ancient Rome, where Nero (Dom DeLuise) is still crazy as a loon but likes stand-up routines and where his wife, Nympho (Madeleine Kahn) can make decision or two behind his back. Slave Josephus (Gregory Hinds) dodges a few swords but ends up on the road to freedom, where he and others find a nice patch of weed and decide that the collapse of the empire is nothing serious. And, so it goes. Brooks has created a nice little humorous movie, sending up some of the more heinous periods of world history (The Inquistion, Madame LeFarge (Cloris Leachman) and creating mirth. The cast is the greatest asset, for the members are truly legends who could make a stone giggle. The sets, costumes, and production values are also quite wonderful and the script and direction are zesty and humorous. While my personal favorite of Brooks' movies remains Spaceballs (my hair, they shot my hair!), this one will do more than nicely when comedic relief is greatly needed. It might even send viewers to the library or the internet to learn the historical facts about the real events behind the laughs. In any case, make it part of your personal history to record a viewing of this funny little flick.

You flunked flanking?!?

Author: abgkasjlkasjla from Denmark
7 January 2011

This is a series of sketches(and they're frankly quite hit and miss), detailing(well, spoofing) historical events(I have a feeling the Moses bit is what actually happened if The Old Testament wasn't a collection of poorly written, hateful fiction), starting at the dawn of man and ending with The French Revolution. Other than the longest portion, set in ancient Rome, there is no continuous plot, really. It's a nice satire, with plenty to laugh at, with silly stuff, cleverness, plays on words, smut, some slapstick, crude material, weirdness. We do get the, for the period mandatory, annoying "sassy black dude"(on the plus side, it makes fun of Christianity). This is quite sexually suggestive, and features some rather nice cleavage. It's *very* Jewish and Brooksian. There are a few ill-shot and/or –edited bits, though on the whole, it is put together well(in spite of the occasional obvious matte painting). The central musical number(about the Inquisition!) isn't half bad. There is a bunch of mild violence and disturbing content, and a moderate amount of strong language. I recommend this to any fan of Mel. 7/10

Mel Brooks: quotable

Author: LivingDog from NYC, NY
16 August 2007

Many lines in this movie are not well delivered; some are. This is not as funny as it should be. In my opinion they knew they had an audience and they were forcing the comedy - as if to make it the comic genius it already is. This failed. However, after you see the movie you will recall many many lines and have hours of classic Mel Brooks comedy over the years. When you finally go back to see it again ... and you will ... you will laugh the way you should have laughed when you first saw it but didn't b/c you noticed how hard the comedians were pushing to make this a comic icon. 9/10.

-LD

________

my faith: http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/jbc33/

Humorous look at an erratic world.

Author: raymond-15 from Australia
11 July 2007

Mel Brooks who wrote and directed this film pokes fun at some of the past events that rocked the world. In rewriting history from his suggestive and bawdy view point, he introduces us to some hilarious moments. Despite the exaggerations there is probably an ounce of truth in some of the questionable scenes he has portrayed.

Film goers with a long memory will recognize scenes, music and dialogue from the flicks they enjoyed years ago and now with the passage of time wonder why they were so enthralled at those Saturday night movies. It's a part of the fun to recall the old films and a second viewing is probably needed to ensure that none of the funny bits are missed.

The scenes are well mounted and I have a suspicion that the large sets are snippets of past films with garrisons of Roman soldiers filling the screen and crowds of French on-lookers for the scenes of the guillotine. I think my favourite segments are the surprise entry of the nuns in the Spanish Inquisition (possibly because I had a few days earlier watched the Secret Files of the Inquisition) and the French Revolution in which a portable pissoir adds to the bawdiness of the times. Could there ever have been such an enterprising invention? Mel Brooks' humour is not subtle and the slap-stick approach could probably be best enjoyed after a few drinks with friends. I have to admit I was not rocked with laughter but have to conclude he shows a degree of cleverness and originality in the writing. Yes, I did laugh a couple of times It's an awesome project to write the history of the world and a lot more has happened since the French Revolution. Will he put his pen to paper again and enlighten us on the era of nuclear weapons and global warming? Heaven knows the world could do with a little more laughter. Over to you, Mel.

Hit-and-miss comedy

Author: Pucki from Berlin, Germany
20 December 2001

The master of parody strikes again and this time he takes on the entire history of the world, no less...

While I found the concept of several segments from short skit to half-feature length mini-movie just to be the right one for this kind of film, the segments do differ in quality very much (and, sadly, quality gets poorer towards the end).

Although the film does have its weak points (the French Revolution segment drags, despite some good gags every now and then, the Stone Age sequence)some material is hilariously funny with the Spanish Inquisition musical number being the showstopper. The Roman Empire story also comes off good (especially the great supporting actors in this segment) and be sure to stay tuned for the trailer for "Part 2".

As a whole, the film cannot hold ground against "Spaceballs", "Blazing Saddles" or "Frankenstein Junior", but for a decent viewing and some good laughs, tune it in when it appears on TV.

Still pretty funny

Author: Joseph Jones from Clearwater
8 December 2001

I remember watching this on cable as a kid, probably not getting all the jokes, but still enjoying it cuz I love history. Now, I've got a DVD player and I wanted to see it in it's original widescreen presentation.

The movie is a mixed bag, really. Not anywhere near the classic that "Blazing Saddles" and "Young Frankenstein" are, "History of the World Part I" still offer plenty of good, strong laughs. The script, which never really hits a stride or rhythm, bounces from the Stone Age to The Old Testament to The Roman Empire to The Spanish Inquisition to The French Revolution, skewering all the legends and myths and mostly throwing the facts completely aside. The comedic highlight is without question The Spanish Inquisition--appallingly offensive and gut-bustingly funny. The Roman Empire sketch has the most consistent laughs, with especial thanks to the legendary Madeline Kahn. Harvey Korman and Cloris Leachman are the sole redeeming aspects of The French Revolution segment, which is a rather tired parody of "A Tale of Two Cities"--though I'll never be able to look at Blanche Yurka without laughing ever again.

A great movie, if you don't want to think.

Author: Sparklingdiamond_25 from Louisville, KY
30 June 1999

This is another one of those stupid Mel Brooks movies--I love it, personally. When you're tired or upset, you don't want to watch some boring movie that you have to spend hours analyzing. You want straight out gags and something that will keep you laughing. That's what this movie is for, my friend. That is, if you like tasteless humour, some of which you have to have *some* education for. But overall, it's just a dumb movie that you have to love. Why can't history class be so fun?