IMDb > Hardly Working (1980) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Hardly Working More at IMDbPro »

I'm French....what can I say?

Author: Chris Crossont (cgcrossont@aol.com) from Baltimore, MD
13 June 2001

I saw it as a kid and I have fond memories of it. I was 12 years old at the time and it fit perfectly into my world at that moment in my life. Things were so simple at that age and there was no major reality that I had to deal with; the movie was perfectly tuned for an adolescent! I won't watch it again as I may change my mind.

Jerry Lewis' "Limelight"

Author: pbutterfly from United States
23 March 2008

I just saw the Jerry Lewis movie "Hardly Working." I must saw, I was completely floored. I was instantly reminded of Chaplin's "Limelight." Some would say this is an outrageous comparison, but I don't think so. They are both films wherein great aging clowns take a bitter and poignant look at themselves, and at their lives spent as clowns in the midst of a changing audience and landscape.

Lewis' film is an abject fantasy about what would happen if he could no longer be a clown. Here is a middle-aged man who has spent his whole life as a clown, and realizes he has no other skills, there is nothing else he can do. So he takes a bunch of odd jobs where he enacts the clown role by default, hilariously causing havoc and chaos everywhere he goes.

But the genius in the film comes from its "serious" parts. The way he cries when he finds out that he lost his job as a clown, his depression when humiliated by his brother-in-law or mean bosses, etc. There is a strange spirit of defiant anger that runs throughout, from the grotesque depictions of people in the world and their banality and small-mindedness, to Lewis' occasional bouts of defiance towards authority figures. It's all about how humiliating and absurd it is to live in the world and have a job, and about all the little moments that make life unbearable.

In this world of unspeakable awkwardness and grotesqueness, women and girls are his allies, and boys and men his enemies. Women and girls laugh at his jokes, seek to help him, find him endearing, and want to grow up to be like him, whereas men and boys find him to be a pathetic loser and try to oust him at every turn. From the young son of the woman he's dating ("You're happy to see HIM??") to his sister's husband, to his many bosses, males are out to get him, threatened by his affinity with women and animals and jealous of his ability to evade the rules.

When he finally quits his job at the post office (it's the only job he can hold; as one of the character states, "no one loses a civil service job unless he wants to"), it's because he has been asked to "take care of" some rabbits that have ended up in the post office, ostensibly by destroying them. The film thus begins with an act in which his partner is a kitten, and ends with him rescuing rabbits.

In one strange scene in the film, he suddenly stops being klutzy and does everything right when he is being watched by a superintendent. Before this he could not touch anything without making it fall over, now he is perfectly in command of himself. There are more "serious" moments, such as when he is gracious and adult when evaluating the performance of his boss. The tables have now turned. Instead of being the lowest scum of the earth, kicked around by everybody, he is now his own boss. And he proves it by delivering the mail dressed as a clown, freeing the rabbits, and quitting his job.

The film ends with him going back to being a clown, and his journey into the abject world of random jobs remains as a dream, a nightmare. It's as if his perfect performance at his job at the post office was a way of suddenly saying, "All right, the farce is over now. I'm really a professional clown, I'm Jerry Lewis, I'm a physical comedian with full control over my faculties, see, I can do this job if I want to." It's like that moment in the dream where you are just about to wake up, or that moment when the actor takes off his makeup and reveals himself to the audience as his true self. But in this case he is taking off one kind of makeup— the clown he's playing in the film, which is a "non-clown" who's a regular person—and putting on another kind of makeup, his "literal" clown makeup, in which he can finally be himself—Jerry Lewis!

So we have to wonder: who is Jerry Lewis? Is it the actor-writer-director Jerry Lewis we are looking at, or are we simply watching a character in a movie? We see both at once, and that's the genius of the movie. It's an actor watching himself, watching his whole career and also watching the end of a career. As in the move "Limelight," the wrenching sadness we feel is in knowing the history of his earlier work, and how the ugliness of the world he is depicting is a world in which he can no longer thrive, as a clown from another era who is losing his audience to newer tastes, younger entertainers.

Some of the sight gags in the movie are brilliant and get quite surreal, as in one where he delivers mail to a Goodyear blimp and ends up taking the blimp for a ride, and another where a housewife offers him a beer and the Clydesdale-drawn Budweiser truck drives by and tosses him a six-pack. But in spite of its rampant silliness, the movie is strangely subversive and sad, and is Jerry Lewis' comic and reflective tribute to his own brilliant career.

I guess you had to be there

Author: porfle from United States
16 November 2007

I saw this when it was first released, in a theater filled to the gills with rabid Jerry Lewis fans (of which I am one) who were all ecstatic to be seeing a new Jerry Lewis movie after all those years. The opening montage of scenes from his earlier films was greeted with cheers, and this giddy enthusiasm carried over for the rest of the film. (The donut scene was a particular favorite--everybody there totally "got" it.) Good spirits and joyous Jerry Lewis fandom abounded in that theater that night, and I had a wonderful time.

Whenever I see this movie now, I recall the feelings I had when I first saw it that night. Maybe you had to see it in that context and that frame of mind to truly enjoy it. Anyway, I'm still a huge Jerry Lewis fan as I have been all my life, and I enjoy all of his movies from the highs of THE NUTTY PROFESSOR and THE LADIES MAN to the lows of WHICH WAY TO THE FRONT? and HOOK, LINE, AND SINKER. Now if I could just see THE DAY THE CLOWN CRIED, my life would be complete.

George Litman...did you actually WATCH this movie??

Author: LuvJerry from Lancaster, Ohio
6 September 1999

I watched this movie and LOVED it!! It might not be Jerry's best but it is still a very good movie. Just because one person viewed the movie and did not care for it does not mean that everyone should write it off as a bad movie...Please, watch this movie and form your own opinion. I LOVE JERRY LEWIS!!!!

Overall Funny

Author: aadue-186-652060 from United States
3 December 2011

First off, don't watch this expecting it to be "INSERT OVERRATED CLASSIC HERE." Having said that-- This movie marks the return of a basically decade-long absence of Jerry Lewis from the big screen. The only problem I really have with the movie is the cheap, late 1970's look to it, which you can get past. There were tons of moments that made me laugh out loud. It's just Jerry Lewis goofing around. If you like him, you'll probably like this, if not then don't bother. A good film overall though and makes for a pleasant viewing experience compared to almost anything today's movies have to offer. This movie sadly isn't on DVD, but if you get ahold of it, it's a nice movie that the whole family can enjoy.

Jerry Lewis as total filmmaker.

Author: yesfan2012 from United States
21 January 2012

This was Jerry in better form then anything he had done since the Patsy or Disorderly Orderly.Nobody can make the donut scene any better, pacing was perfect.Jerry captured the times without getting too overly political.The pacing at times lagged some and the camera work seemed to suffer some from indifference.

In totality the movie has some terrific Lewis moments,the post office is the perfect vehicle for Jerry at this point in his career.If the movie were released in 2012 it would fit in perfectly in the Obama age of government that is Hardly Working.I guess the era of Obama has not improved much on the Carter years,I think Jerry Lewis was about 30 years ahead of time or the more things change, the more they stay the same.The movie holds up surprisingly well.A terrific Lewis vehicle.

Hardly worth it.

Author: Michael O'Keefe from Muskogee OK
6 September 2000

This Jerry Lewis project does not ring with the sound of success. This film is way below the high standards that the legendary star/director has set for comedy flicks. The plot is quite simple and most of the sight gags are over done. A bumbling idiot has trouble keeping a job. He has tried being a circus clown, gas station attendant and even delivering the U.S. Mail. Unlucky in the working world, but lucky in love. Go figure.

Also in the cast are Susan Oliver, Harold Stone and Stephen Baccus.

Hardly worth it

Author: jrs-8 from Chicago
20 February 2004

"Hardly Working" was heralded for being Jerry Lewis's first film in a decade. After seeing the final results maybe he should have waited longer. I loved Lewis films as a kid and wondered if perhaps I had just outgrown him. Watching some of his older films up against this one convinced me that it was the movie and not my maturing. "Hardly Working" is a bad film. It's poorly written and ineptly directed.

The film's best scene is its first as we see a brief montage of clips from past Lewis movies. Trust me there is nothing close to being this amusing once the film gets going. But it does get going and we see Jerry as the lovable loser who can't hold a job. He starts as a circus clown and soon gets fired and for good reason. The one scene we see him as the clown is painfully unfunny. He then moves into a succession of jobs that he gets himself fired from. One scene in particular shows how clumsy the script is. He has been hired to work at a gas station. His new boss is setting up a pyramid of cans that Jerry (of course) keeps knocking over. The exasperated boss finally sends Jerry out to serve a customer and (of course) can't even fill the gas tank without causing havoc. What does the boss do? He knocks the same pyramid of cans over that he has struggled over and over to build. Why? You tell me.

The bulk of the film has Jerry as a mailman. Certainly there are funnier things they could have come up with then sagging pickle spears and donut jokes and multiplying rabbits within the postal service. "Hardly Working" is a lame comedy that picks up where Lewis left off with his lame comedies of the late 60's.

Finally, a funny movie from Jerry Lewis

Author: Anthony De Vito, Jr (tonyd11763) from United States
24 May 2013

Circus Clown Bo Hooper knows no 'normal' jobs and finds himself out of work when the small circus he works for shuts down in mid season. With that as a premise, all his failures since being out-of-work make sense. He's totally and completely lost. The story does end happily in spite of all the obstacles as he finally sees light at the end of the tunnel.

One of the things that made this enjoyable to me was that Bo's first failure, at the gas station, involved two people who are related to his final boss.

This movie is enhanced by the fact that Jerry Lewis 'plays it straight'. He makes no funny noises or funny faces and all the mishaps are believable with the premise that he knows NOTHING about regular jobs in the real world.

The comic workings of a genius who plays a clumsy klutz

Author: PeterMitchell-506-564364 from Australia
20 December 2012

I remember how I wanted to see this movie for years. When I finally saw it there on video, I hired it. It's very funny and a lot of fun. This guy knows funny, although Smorgasboard, that I saw later, is even funnier. Bumbling Lewis, a clown entertainer, who proves true that saying "Once a clown, always a clown" loses his job as the company is shut down. We even see midget, Billy Barty, that constant farting captain from that superior Night Patrol among the troupe. Lewis who stays with his Sister makes a grand entrance, much to the disapproval of his brother in law who among offering him drinks, manages to get him a job at the postal office. But first let go to the jobs prior, that last as long a Kevin Costner Epic. Job 1: Gas station. Jerry actually wipes down the oil cans, etc, inside the gas station, but also causes his first hot customer, who has the hots for him, a bit of car trouble where her and his son are killing themselves. The most forgiving people you'd ever see in this situation. But it's only a movie. Job 2: At the glass factory. We only hear the sounds of glass raining down, or either 99 mirrors shattering, where Jerry, whose obviously caused an insurmountable amount of damage, is gladly escorted back to his car. The other guy's "I knew it" expression, says it all. Job 3: Strip club. Jerry gets a little carried away with the female company, his eyes eating up the dancers, that ends up him, groping one girl's legs. Not staff etiquette. Job 4: My favorite scene has Jerry taking the p..s out of a Japanese sushi chef, equipped with buck teeth and all, working a frier, chopping up onion, unloading a tonne of alfalfa, bean sprouts, onto the grill and successfully cooking a measly strip of meat, ready to serve. He even brought his mini fan to kill off the steam. His unhappy diners, actually jump the grill to smash him, but he fends them off with some laughable judo moves, and a faux accent. The last job has Jerry working at an antique store. He tries to unlock this ball shaped mirror, oh no, not another mirror, for a old woman who talks five hundred words per minute, and can't let Jerry get a word in edgeways. When he finally unlocks a mirror, a tonne of water splashes out and drenches the two. Young or old, Hardly Working is great slapstick and Jerry fits this role with the least amount of effort, backed up by a great supporting cast, and the hot sexy Deanna Lund, who's son of course, doesn't approve of this guy, after seeing him in action at the gas station. After saying goodbye at a tennis game, Lund's car runs over Jerry's feet. Jerry knows how to through constant gags in. That's his genius, and while some may think this movie is stupid, which it is, it's bloody funny nonetheless, and smart if you can grasp Jerry's genius. The film is brought down a little, taking a bit of a turn, in it's last half an hour, losing it's pace, where there's laughs a few. Lewis and his mail driving partner, lumbered with all these rabbits, have to get rid of em. Oh did I mention, the mess and chaos Jerry made in the mail room.