IMDb > The Great Muppet Caper (1981) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Great comic shenanigans

Author: BadWebDiver from Perth, Australia
16 June 2002

This film is definitely a comic masterpiece. A great improvement over the earlier MUPPET MOVIE, which seemed more like a faltering first step into feature film techniques; this has a strong plot, bright characters and keen timing. It also has great support from the comic greatness of John Cleese, Joan Sanderson, Jack Warden, Robert Morley and Peter Falk.

Diana Rigg and Charles Grodin (in his best movie) manage to hold the central human characters together, up against the bright lunacy of the Muppets. Lady Holliday's expression on seeing Miss Piggy enter in her swimsuit is worth the price of admission alone!

PS: My mum just loves the bit where Kermit does up his zipper!

"The First Time It Happened..."

Author: happiscotsman from Chicago, IL
15 April 2002

This is one of my all-time favorites! I am 23 and I still need to view this movie at least once a year. Jim Henson was at the height of his creative powers when this was made, and it shows brilliantly. As opposed to "The Muppet Movie", the songs aren't as dated, and the celebrity cameos have been cut back which lessens the distraction from the Muppets themselves. The cameos of John Cleese, Sir Peter Ustinov, Sir Robert Morley, and Jack Warden all are funny and fit the plot's movement. The highest performance praise though, must go to Dame Diana Rigg and Charles Grodin, who may have deserved an Academy Award for being the only human ever to attempt to make love to Miss Piggy! ("Miss Piggy, don't put a wall between us...we could have had the world on a silver platter") I also love the music, especially the number in the Dubonett Club, which harkens back to the old-time musicals, with just a hint of satire. Even after seeing "The Score" and "Ocean's 11", the Muppet heist scene is still the most entertaining I've ever seen! My advice is swallow your pride, grab the kids, and "check right in, to the Happiness Hotel"! (SAY CHEESE!)

The Muppets Take Big Ben

Author: evanston_dad from United States
28 December 2007

Anglophile that I am, I love "The Great Muppet Caper," and think I might like it even more than the original "Muppet Movie."

The gang find themselves foiling the plot of a group of crack diamond thieves led by Charles Grodin, and it's a hoot to watch the slick, professional thieves' preparations and actions juxtaposed to the loud, crude antics of the Muppets. There's a pretty funny musical number that finds Miss Piggy ripping off Esther Williams, and another lovely song performed while the entire group goes bike riding. Long before the days of jacked up special effects when anything can be done using a computer, I remember being astounded by the fact that this special effects team could make the Muppets ride bicycles. Ah, what a more innocent time....

Grade: A

That's a frog. Bears wear hats.

Author: Op_Prime from Ardmore, PA
25 October 2000

The Great Muppet Caper is great family movie. They're are very good songs in this movie and it's just as witty as the others. Features several cameos (John Cleese, Oscar the Grouch). I love the seen where the Muppets are going over the check list of items. Priceless. One of the best.

Lots of fun!

Author: preppy-3 from United States
17 February 2012

The Muppets are in England and get involved with Lady Holiday (Diana Rigg), her brother (Charles Grodin) and jewel robberies. Who cares about the plot though. It's just an excuse to see the Muppets perform--and they're great. The script is fast and very funny--one-liners go flying all over the place and every single one works. There's a constant breaking down of the fourth wall with the Muppets addressing the audience and poking fun at their own movie! Also there are elaborate musical numbers! The songs are instantly forgettable but the dance in the restaurant and the water ballet (!!!) really work.

Also you see the Muppets walking, dancing (Miss Piggy's tap dancing looks realistic!), riding bikes, swimming AND riding a motorcycle! This was all done before we had CGI but it works. I can't figure out how they did it--and I don't want to know. Acting is very good. Rigg is having a whale of a time in her role and it rubs off on the audience. Grodin appears drugged but it DOES fit his character. A few other actors do cameos but you have to see the movie to find out who they are.

Ten stars may be excessive for this movie but I loved it. I was never bored and thoroughly entertained. Highly recommended.

Loved reliving my childhood rewatching The Great Muppet Caper

Author: tavm from Baton Rouge, La.
27 November 2011

Since I rewatched The Muppet Movie yesterday in anticipation of going to see The Muppets sometime this week, I thought I'd do the same with The Great Muppet Caper. Another very entertaining movie almost from beginning to end with only a slightly underwhelming opening number and partially amusing newspaper office scene with Jack Warden the only minor blips. Otherwise, Jim Henson as director keeps things entertaining throughout especially when he has Miss Piggy do her tribute to Esther Williams and when he has the whole Muppet gang on bikes which was impressive enough in the last movie when only Kermit was doing it. Oh, and how awesome to have seen him in a very recognizable cameo in the nightclub scene! It's during that scene that the Oscar-nominated song, "The First Time It Happens" is performed. It lost to the just as good "Best That You Can Do" from the original Arthur. In fact, all the songs by composer-lyricist Joe Raposo have such a feel good quality that you'll want to listen to them over and over again. No surprise knowing he was the resident "Seseme Street" songwriter with such classics like "Bein' Green" and "Sing" among that show's highlights. Once again, such human celebrities like Diana Rigg and Charles Grodin add their own touches to the proceedings not to mention cameos by such luminaries like Peter Falk, Robert Morley, Peter Ustinov, and especially John Clesse their own sense of humor. There's another Muppet cameo here that I don't feel like revealing that I was amused by but I'll just now say that The Great Muppet Caper is highly recommend by me. Next I'll either review The Muppets or something else-TV or movie related to the creatures-in this site. Stay tuned...

It starts strong and then slowly fizzles.

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
5 December 2014

"The Great Muppet Caper" had a fantastic start, as Kermit, Fozzie and Gonzo fly about in a hot air balloon. During their flight, they see the credits and make comments about them--priceless. And, the first 15 minutes or so of the film is great. However, when the actual plot begins, the show starts to drag. Much of this is because I wanted to see Muppets--not Charles Grodin, Diana Rigg and other human actors as well as some uninteresting plot about jewel thieves. And, because the Muppets are best when not over-burdened with plot and are allowed to just cut up and be silly, the more there was plot the more the film lost my attention. Now this is not to say that the film is bad or not worth watching--but as it progresses, the laughs do become less and less frequent. For my time, the best of the Muppet films were "The Muppet Movie" and "The Muppets".

A really good, fun movie

Author: MisterWhiplash from United States
15 September 2000

For kids, this film is like a kind of methadone for the heroin that is known as Pokemon (in other words, watch the muppets to get off of Pokemon even though there is no comparison to the muppets). For some of us adults who grew up with the muppets, and this movie in particular, it's a kind of small-scale piece of homage heaven. This is a fun movie, plain and simple, which parents won't find too bad either. Story takes the trio (Kermit, Fozzie and the Great Gonzo) to London as journalists who have to investigate dastardly jewelry robberies. There's plenty of great gags, horribly awesome puns, the cool flavor of the 'Jewel of the North Atlantic', and a few cameos (John Cleese and Peter Ustinov notably) surrounded by the nut-house that is the muppet world make this a near must see. The musical numbers, by the way, are close to perfect. Jim Henson's first feature length film as director is close to being his best, though not quite.

"I hate to be rude but we're trying to do a movie here."

Author: utgard14 from USA
20 December 2015

Kermit, Fozzie, and Gonzo are reporters investigating a jewel robbery in England, when Miss Piggy finds herself accused of stealing a diamond necklace from her employer, Lady Holiday (Diana Rigg). The second Muppets feature film (and the only one directed by Jim Henson) starts out strong but, as other reviewers before me have pointed out, it doesn't sustain. Part of the problem is too much focus on the jewel thief plot and an especially annoying Charles Grodin. The Muppets are lots of fun here but there's only so much they can do when competing against a ham actor desperately trying to steal a movie about Muppets away from the Muppets. It's not called The Great Grodin Caper, after all. Anyway, the jewel thief plot is dullsville and the movie should not have spent so much time on it, in my opinion. A significant part of the film drags because of this. I appreciate the attempt to pay tribute to movies of the 1930s and 40s but a little goes a long way.

Still, there are some funny moments. Fozzie adding sugar to champagne to make it taste like ginger ale is probably my favorite scene from the movie and it's what many would consider a minor gag. Some of the best jokes are the ones that break the fourth wall, like that clever opening with Kermit, Fozzie, and Gonzo in a hot air balloon commenting on the opening credits, Diana Rigg pointing out her expository dialogue, Miss Piggy complaining about doing her own stunts, and Kermit chastising Miss Piggy for overacting. The celebrity cameos this time include John Cleese, Robert Morley, Peter Ustinov, and Peter Falk. The Cleese and Falk scenes are the funniest. The songs are cute but not as memorable as the ones from The Muppet Movie. Most die-hard Muppets fans will probably love this despite its flaws. I liked it but didn't love it.

love the Muppets but less for the caper

Author: SnoopyStyle
10 October 2015

Kermit, Gonzo and Fozzie float in on their balloon. Kermit and Fozzie are reporters and Gonzo is their photographer. The guys miss a jewel heist against Lady Holiday (Diana Rigg) happening right in front of them. They travel to London to interview Lady Holiday. They stay at the Happiness Hotel where they find many of the other Muppets. Miss Piggy wants to be a Holiday model and gets a job as the receptionist. Nicky (Charles Grodin) is Lady Holiday's irresponsible brother. Kermit mistakes Miss Piggy for the real Lady Holiday.

I love the Muppets and they know enough to highlight the stars. The caper is nothing special and it's an excuse to have a plot. It doesn't add much to the Muppets. Nevertheless the little guys are still full of charm. Also sending them to London doesn't do much to add to the comedy. This is good for anybody who loves the Muppets (which should be everybody).

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]