IMDb > The Fox and the Hound (1981) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

Adorable

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
11 February 2004

The Fox and the Hound, one of Disney's forgotten treasures, I honestly don't know why this movie is more noticed by people. This is one of my favorite animated movies of all time, it's innocent, it's simple, it's lovely, and just a wonderful tale about the most unlikely pair becoming the best of friends. The Fox and the Hound, yeah, it does go a little overboard on the cuteness factor with baby Tod and baby Copper, but this is when Disney really did mean well and came up with such a sweet and wonderful story that is classic.

After a young red fox is orphaned, he is adopted the Widow Tweed, she names him Tod. Meanwhile, Tweed's neighbor, a hunter named Amos Slade, brings home a young hound puppy named Copper and introduces him to his hunting dog Chief. Tod and Copper become playmates, and vow to remain "friends forever." Slade grows frustrated at Copper for constantly wandering off to play, and places him on a leash. While playing with Copper at his home, Tod awakens Chief. Slade and Chief chase him until they are stopped by Tweed. After an argument, Slade says that he intends to kill Tod at his first opportunity. Hunting season comes and Slade takes his dogs into the wilderness for the interim. Meanwhile, Big Mama explains to Tod that his friendship with Copper cannot continue, as they are natural enemies, but Tod refuses to believe her. Months pass, and Tod and Copper reach adulthood. On the night of Copper's return, Tod sneaks over to meet him. Copper explains that he is a hunting dog now and things are now going to be different between them.

The Fox and the Hound is such a great movie, honestly if you don't like this film, I don't know what's wrong with you, but you need to get something checked because everything about this film is just wonderful. The songs, animation and characters are just lovely. Plus there are some fun jokes, I loved seeing Chief constantly chasing after Tod and then Slade runs over to Tweed's house to scream about the fox but she just kicks his butt and tells him to get off her property. This is such a great movie, I highly recommend you see it if you get the chance.

Good clean fun with a touch of heartache

Author: Mario Rodgers from San Antonio, TX
8 September 1999

This is my favorite Disney movie of all time. It is, in my opinion, one of their finest. Why do I think so? First, I like its realism. It is not some fantastic fairy tale, nor is it some good-against-evil-good-eventually-triumphs story. There are no heroes or villains in this story. This lack of good and evil made the story and the characters seem more alive than the ones you usually see.

I also like the message this movie gives. It is simple yet powerful. The two main characters wanted only the most innocent of things - friendship. Yet society couldn't allow this friendship to be. This movie tugs at your heart, and it doesn't stop tugging. And the realism didn't diminish any by the movie's close. The main characters' problems remained unresolved, yet each finished the movie in contentment. I feel that this lack of a "everything's okie-dokie again" finish like you see in traditional animated movies gave this story a powerful element.

If you're looking for songs your children can sing over and over again, you've come to the wrong movie. Each song is sung in a flavorful yet discreet manner. Little orchestration. Yet if you're looking for memorable characters, you've come to the right movie. Each character is very well developed, motivated by true emotions and the things that the everyday person wants - love, food, companionship. Each character is vibrantly drawn, and this vibrancy is matched by the character's personality. I saw a real person within the animal. Nobody is created in an idealistic image.

From realistic characters come a realistic story. Nothing felt written or hacked. Everything felt like it was supposed to happen. There was nothing outlandish about the entire story. And if you're looking for comedy, you'll find none. This is pure drama, yet it's drama that kids can easily understand. This movie had a story that seemed like it could've easily happened to the average person. This is a rare and endearing quality.

Basically, I loved this movie for what it had, a heart of gold, but also for what it lacked, a traditional formula. If you're looking for a story with a difference and a bittersweet flavor, this is the movie for you! It is nice, quiet, yet provocative and emotional. To sum it up, it is good clean fun with a touch of heartache, a true drama!

One of the most, if not only, adult Disney movie

Author: Jecht from United States
28 October 2007

Looking back as child having watched this film, it never struck me for anything more than fuzzy/singing/talking animals that pandered to all my childish wants and needs. After all, that's why you watched Disney movies as a kid, right? It's just what you did in your childhood.

Now, watching it again, about to embark on adulthood and all that it entails, it really moved me. How Todd and Copper, a young fox and a hound were the best of friends. Todd having been taken in by a kindly old women and nursed backed to health while right next door, Copper, owned by a mean and bitter old hunter, is being groomed as hunting dog.

Yet, like children, they don't judge. They don't know about the differences between each other and they don't care. They just want to play hide and seek. It is when they grow older that they realize that it was never meant to be. How sometimes societal rules can stamp out the most innocent of ventures. Much like becoming an adult, reality sets in. Life is unfair.

It's a truly beautiful movie, for it's simplistic yet universal message and unlike the vast library of previous Disney inventions, as stated before, it lacks the happy ending. The proverbial feel good formula that is the frame work for all Disney movies. It's because of it's bittersweet delivery and surprising realism, that it's become a lifeline to my childhood that I will carry with me for as long as I live.

Hold on a second: This isn't even rated a 7 on the IMDB?!

Author: tiyusufaly
15 November 2002

This has got to be one of the most underappreciated Disney classics yet. The Fox and the Hound is probably the most heartwarming Disney film yet. It mixes humor, action, and romance as well as any other Disney film, except for a select few such as Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, Mulan, or Tarzan. Nevertheless, I cannot believe this is rated only a 6.6. Several Disney films that are rated above this movie come nowhere near close to it in quality (i.e. Snow White, Bambi, Sleeping Beauty, etc...). I cannot comprehend how it is rated so low...9/10 (Ranks right up there with the likes of Robin Hood and Pinocchio).

One of the most heartwarming and bittersweet cartoons in years.

Author: andy-227 from Sterling Heights, Michigan
18 May 1999

This is a film that both delighted me and deeply upset me, because it seemed so happy, and yet, so unfair at the same time. The two best friends, the "Fox and the Hound", meet again after they are fully grown adults, or, when they are old enough to face the fact that their friendship was never meant to be. That broke my heart, because it was such a beautiful friendship, unfairly tarnished by a cruel world. If only our world was a happy place, where races and cultures didn't matter, and if only we could recognize those characters as our friends, and not our enemies simply because of our ethnic differences. Years later, Spike Lee's "Do the Right Thing" brought up that same point with a vengeance. And, like "The Fox and the Hound", it shows how much that beautiful friendship between people won't last because of how society determines our friends and enemies. It makes no sense, and it's unfair. What's more, Tod, the fox, endures more than any other character in the film. Other characters, and especially the hunter, discriminated against him without thinking. And we the audience had to endure seeing him go through this misery, all because he was born a fox! It's insane! Sadly, it's true to life. And that is the main reason it was made for kids, to point out how wonderful a friendship is, and how ridiculous it is to tarnish it because of a racial or ethnic difference! And although this film runs on the standard Disney formula, with the songs, the comic relief, the love interest, and the villain, this film really touched me, because I wanted to see their friendship go on. And although it did go on in some form, there is always that feeling of "he doesn't belong" being uttered by many of the other characters. Why? Well, this film asks children and adults alike, that very question.

One of the best Disney films ever created and one of the saddest films also

Author: OriginalMovieBuff21 from United States
29 September 2004

The Fox and the Hound is such an excellent Disney film, being on one of the tops of my list. I couldn't of asked for a better Disney film either. This movie made me cry a lot and I'm a guy. It was like the only movie I cried to except The Return of the King. The movie is bittersweet and heartwarming and the movie also gets into your heart and rushes out. The movie is quite underrated to my belief. Getting a 6.5 rating and 3 stars is just not in my books. Well, I guess the critics do it call a classic so I don't know. I highly recommend this movie and if your looking for a film to cry to this is the movie to get. A very stunning picture

Hedeen's outlook: 10/10 **** A+

The best Disney Animated feature of its generation

Author: Lupercali from Tasmania
31 August 2004

Halfway through production, Don Bluth mutinees, taking most of Disney's best animators with him. Another bunch resign. One dies. Drawings are stolen. Production is delayed endlessly. You would think that if ever a Disney feature were destined for disaster, this was it. Instead, 'Fox and the Hound' is probably the best Disney animated feature of its generation. You could clear a space about 10 years either side of it before you ran into something that gave it serious competition.

We start with an orphaned fox kit - pardon me as my jaw doesn't drop in amazement. There have been, what - TWO Disney films where both parents survive? And, well, he is adopted by an elderly widow named Tweed, he develops a friendship with a hunting dog owned by Widow Tweed's crochety neighbor, and he starts to grow up, and life suddenly becomes very difficult, dangerous, and emotionally complicated.

I won't give it away, in case you haven't seen it, but for my money this movie has close to the saddest, most desolate, tear-jerking scene in any Disney film I can think of. But don't worry, it bounces back well and truly. This is a long way from being a morose film. In fact it's an excellent balance of drama, action, pathos and humour. My only minor complaint is that there are a couple of comic sidekicks in this movie that are pretty annoying and contribute just about nothing to the story.

Coming after 'The Rescuers', 'The Fox and the Hound' might have been the start of a Disney resurrection, but perhaps Bluth's departure really was a body blow. As it is, 'Fox and the Hound' is a moment of beauty and brilliance in the otherwise pretty murky first 20 or so years after Walt's death.

Although it didn't cause much of a stir at the time, it has developed a deserved base of loyal fans in the twenty-three years since it was made.

The film tackles themes of conflicting loyalties, friendship, love, identity, and somehow does it with a minimum of schmaltz and a maximum of heart. It's one of Disney's best, and you owe it to yourself to see it.

9 out of 10

Historical Note: Mickey Rooney plays the adult Tod, the fox in 'Fox and the Hound'. According to Rooney's 1991 autobiography, when he was 5 years old he wandered into an office at Warner during breaks between shooting in one of his child-star films, and introduced himself to a bloke who turned out to be Walt Disney, and who was in the process of drawing a new mouse character, who he decided on the spot to name after Mickey. It just tops it off nicely, doesn't it?

Vastly Under-rated Disney Classic

Author: druryd
20 October 2002

This is without a doubt one of Disney's most under appreciated classics. Great animation, fantastic voice acting and lovable characters and before all the PC nonsense that bogs down most newer Disney productions. This is Disney at its best, much better than the likes of Hunchback, Tarzan, Pochonatas, Hercules, Aladdin etc. If you haven't seen this one, give it a try, you'll be in for a pleasant surprise!

A beautiful story that is very rewatchable...

Author: MovieAddict2016 from UK
15 July 2003

One of Disney's finest motion pictures, extremely underrated and forgotten to a pulp. Kurt Russell, Mickey Rooney and even Corey Feldman all give their talent to this story of a fox and a hound who become friends, only to turn on themselves in later years because they are expected to. Not only is the film engaging, but it also has a metaphorical story going on. I understand it is supposed to represent humans and racism, but apart from the preachiness of it all the film is quite good on the level of a whole. A definite must-see. The ending is bittersweet and at many times during the film you will actually start to feel for these creatures. On a sidenote, I used to have a dog just like the one in this movie. It was just like the one in this film.

**** 1/2 out of *****

what a great movie!

Author: tama_otaku from United States
24 January 2006

This is a wonderful film that is a true classic and a must own for anyone who loves dramas.

This movie like the title implies is about two young friends(fox and hound) that when they meet are too young to realize they're supposed to be mortal enemies.

the film follows they're story over the course of a year in which the two grow up and realize the friendship that was once so strong between them is forbidden, one is a fox, and the other a bloodhound that hunts foxes.

so the dilemma is inherent from the get-go, and at one point the hunter who owns the hound says to the widow who owns the fox that her fox has attacked his chickens and he implies that he'll kill the fox if he ever sees it again.

this leaves the widow with only one heartbreaking choice, to let the fox go in an animal preserve(a real tear jerker folks).

the hunter hot with rage decides he is not satisfied and intends to find Todd(the fox), and kill him.

copper(the hound) and the hunter chase Todd until suddenly a vicious bear appears out of nowhere and attacks the hunter.

copper attacks the bear trying to protect his master when the bear turns on him.

then its Todd to the rescue as he lures the bear over a cliff to it's death, only Todd falls too.

at this point copper having been saved by Todd sees how foolish it was to end they're friendship and rushes to Todd's aid at the bottom of the cliff, the hunter close behind.

copper stands over Todd and when the hunter points his gun at Todd he exclaims "get out of the way boy(copper)" ... copper stands fast.

the hunter angered prepares to fire when copper lets out a mournful whine... the hunter realizes the error of his ways and lowers his rifle saying to copper "c'mon boy, lets go home".

the movie ends with the widow mending the hunters broken foot, the hunter crying like a baby when she touches it.

I'm a rather jaded 17 yeah old guy and i still cry when the widow leaves a bewildered todd at the animal preserve.

this is one of my very favorite movies and i'm sure you'll feel the same.

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]