IMDb > Enter the Ninja (1981) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

The Daddy of the Golan-Globus Ninja series

Author: cheeks2k from London, England
20 January 2003

Anyone like myself who is a great fan of poorly-acted Ninja movies - especially the ones produced by Golan & Globus - will enjoy this, the Daddy of the series.

The acting is wooden, the humour flat, the jeans tight; the fight scenes make no sense whatsoever and everyone dies dramatically.

But that's the point; if you can't pass an evening laughing wildly at this, there must be something wrong with you.

And any film which ends with a freeze-frame of the main character winking at the camera justifies its price fully.

fantastic crap

Author: waldosanmiguel from Puerto Rico
7 March 2005

I still remember watching this movie with my friends in the 6th grade and walking out of the theater like we had just seen the greatest martial arts movie ever. I was one of the first kids on my street to have a videocassette recorder and i would rent this movie every week for at least a year. We would look at the film like investigators probably looked at the Zapruder film.I don't like to trtash it because every time i see something associated with this movie i remember my childhood and a feel very nostalgic about those memories. It is my first writing here so excuse my English if there are errors or there is a lack of sense to what I'm trying to say.

A Must See for Ninja Fans

Author: Almighty Banyan from United States
8 September 2005

As far as Ninja movies go, this is THE Ninja movie. All of the classic elements are here: smoke bombs, climbing claws, shurikens, villainy... you name it, it's in there.

The movie opens with an excellent trial, where Cole must defeat legions of opposing ninjas (fellow students), then make it back to base and calmly recite the Nine Levels of Power in front of Master Komori. To this day I have a .wav file of the Nine Levels of Power... it is a cool scene.

MINOR SPOILER FOLLOWS

The bulk of the movie is setting up the rivalry between Hasegawa and Cole. Hasegawa, being the evil, black-clad Ninja that he is, causes as much mayhem as possible culminating in the killing of Cole's buddy Frank. Cole, being the good white-clad Ninja, must now (of course) avenge his buddy's death and face Hasegawa one-on-one.

I won't tell you the outcome of the final battle, but I will say that it is a classic Ninja battle. You won't be disappointed.

Sure it is a silly movie, but you aren't watching it for its screenplay, are you? You may never want to see it more than once, but Enter the Ninja is definitely worth seeing.

"Surrender or Die!"

The most underrated, and little known gem of the 80's Ninja movies

Author: edward gott from United States
26 April 2005

This one is not easy to get a hold of, but if you can and appreciate Ninja flicks, I highly recommend it. It may seem a little cheesy to today's younger generation, but in the hype of the 80's Ninja movies - this one has got it all. Great fight scenes and the most Ninja weaponry skills that I've ever seen displayed on film to this day. Sho Kosugi was great as the bad guy, Hasegawa,(along with playing many of the masked bad guys chasing the lead through his final Ninja test in the opening of the film)and actor Franco Nero's (Cole) efforts were pretty convincing as the newly graduated American Ninja (with a lot of help from Martial Arts great and writer Mike Stone behind the white mask). The opening of the film with Kosugi doing fantastic Katas with weapons to the Ninja test was too cool. All scenes were beautifully shot and the chase/battle between rivals Hasegawa and Cole through the test was awesome. The landscape,weapons,and uniforms of the Ninjas in this film had the appearance of authenticity. Along with many neat fights in between, the final battle is still one of my personal favorites, as jealous Hasegawa is hired out (with evil pleasure),by badger tycoon Mr.Venarius, to assassinate his rival. A must see!!!!!

ninjas take the elevator

Author: transient-2 from uk
23 June 2005

As B-movies go, this movie is hilarious and absolutely entertaining. The renegade macho posturing, over-the-top costuming and sound effects, and the genuinely comic manners of death can easily coalesce to something transcendent for you; if you're worried that a camp film will leave you feeling that you've merely wasted your time, worry not. This film is much funnier than anything you've seen on MST3K, and would be delightful even without irony for anyone who likes to watch lost paint-ballers, Chuck Norris movies and/or right-wing survivalist nut-jobs. After this movie, I like to slap on some "Brut" cologne, do squats and hold my breath until laughter prompts release.

great!!

Author: tnman26 (tnman26@yahoo.com)
6 November 2001

Lets see what can i say about this one....when i saw it for the first time especially the first 15 minutes during the first action sequence of the ninja test...with the white ninja against all the rest, I wanted to go to japan and be a ninja my self..great action movie..

A fun ninja flick for the tolerant viewer

Author: banzai-3 from Hopewell, NJ
26 April 1999

This movie has two sides. The ninja side is very well done, with tons of ninja weaponry, fighting techniques, and violence. The other side is cheesy 1980-esque humor with the occasional barroom brawl. If you can tolerate a few corny jokes and guys in tight jeans, then maybe this is the movie for you. I give this movie four shurikens (****) out of five.

Exit the room

Author: Zeegrade from Doomed Theater of Despair
16 April 2010

Do you like ninja movies and taking naps? Well have I got a movie for you! Anyone, and I mean anyone, who uses the word "classic" when talking about this movie should be banned from martial arts films for the rest of their lives. Boring, boring, boring! Franco Nero is Cole the only non-Japanese to been trained in the arts of the ninja. When he completes his training and is granted full ninja status (I guess they must serve an apprenticeship) his inclusion is rejected by Hasegawa (Sho Kosugi) who refuses to accept the American as part of their clan. I wouldn't either as the wooden Nero clearly has no martial arts training as every action scene conveniently never shows his face. It's sickening to watch Sho Kosugi play second banana to this empty suit. Cole travels to the Philippines to meet an old Vietnam buddy Frank who REALLY likes cockfights. Frank has become more of a lifeless drunk, at least when he's not cockfighting, which opens an emotional bond between Cole and Frank's bug-eyed wife Mary-Ann. The locals are terrorized by thugs under the control of Charles Venarius who Christopher George takes to cartoon levels of absurdity. When Cole easily dispatches Venarius' men he demands a ninja as if they can be had at any corner store. Turns out Hasegawa has left the clan and has become a mercenary ninja for hire. Slow buildup to the inevitable fight to the death between the former students. Uninspiring action sequences are hampered severely by Nero's lack of fighting ability as well as his complete lack of screen presence. His rigid performance makes Christopher George's so over-the-top that he joins William Beckwith from "Prime Evil" as two of the most campy badguys ever. There a so many movies out there that deliver the true ninja experience better than "Enter the Ninja" that it defies belief that this was even made for the American audience. One of the rare disappointments from the Golan-Globus duo that gave us so many cheesy actioneers in the eighties. Rather take a shuriken to the eye than watch this again.

The inception of Ninja mania!

Author: HaemovoreRex from United Kingdom
2 May 2006

Well here it is – this is the catalyst for the 1980's 'Ninja Craze' that swept the west by storm and spawned literally hundreds of similar themed movies from all around the world.

In addition this also happens to be the film that propelled its REAL star (an actor who was actually playing the role of the movies main villain!) to super stardom literally overnight (if only for a modest while) and made him forever synonymous with such roles. Who was this actor? Well it was of course the legendary Sho Kosugi!

While ninja had previously reared their heads on a number of occasions in western cinema, (probably most famously in the classic James Bond outing 'You Only Live Twice') THIS was the film that really catapulted them into the movie going publics eye. Such was the demand for ninja themed shenanigans following this films initial release that producers Golan-Globus were sagaciously swift to rush two sequels into production, namely The Revenge Of the Ninja (probably THE seminal 1980's ninja flick) and the sadly embarrassing Ninja 3: The Domination, again, both starring Kosugi (albeit in the more welcome role of the good guy)

But enough of the history lesson…..what of the quality of the film being reviewed here I hear you cry? Well as it happens, it's rather solidly entertaining stuff!

Franco Nero plays Cole, a westerner who through hard work and determination has against all odds (not to mention certain persons wishes) ascended to the top ranks of his ninja clan. Traveling to the Philippines to visit an old friend Cole finds that his deadly skills come in mighty handy when he is forced to stand against some local hoodlums. (In a morally ambiguous subplot he also manages to sleep with his best friend's wife – but we won't go there…..!!!)

In fact these hoodlums are merely puppets belonging to a much larger crime syndicate headed by a particularly ruthless boss (the always fun to watch Christopher George hamming it up wonderfully!)

Seeing that Cole is laying waste to his plans, the crime lord takes drastic measures and hires Cole's old nemesis from Japan (Kosugi) to take care of him.

Inevitably the two ninja must square off at the films climax with only one left alive by the final credits but which one shall be triumphant? Well you can probably guess…..

Aside from the odd casting of Nero in the lead (a great actor in his own right but woefully miscast here owing to the fact that he has blatantly no martial arts skills whatsoever) – it has to be said that this is a great movie and is intrinsic viewing for fans of the genre.

Of course the main attraction here though, is undoubtedly Kosugi himself, who succeeds in carrying a wonderful silent air of extreme menace in every single scene he appears in, in addition to entertaining us with some excellent martial arts demonstrations.

Great stuff!

A Good film

Author: Filmbuff-55 from United States
4 October 1999

This action film is about a westerner named Cole(Franco Nero) who has learned the ways of the Ninja, until a Hosagowa(Sho Kosugi) has bitter frustration against him after he realizes that Cole having the right to be a "Ninja Warrior". He later visits an old army buddy Frank(Alex Courtney) who is having some personal problems of his own with a greedy landgrabber named Charlie Venarious(Christopher George). However Cole has to take the matter of taking on the landgrabbers as well as Hosagawa who was just recently hired by Venarious to help eliminate Cole. The ending is very fascinating and the battle scenes between the Ninja warriors is the best sequence in this film. The cast is excellent in the film. I give it ******** out of **********.

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]