IMDb > Endless Love (1981) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Special memory for me

Author: mylarstar from United States
19 October 2006

This movie has special meaning for me. I remember being 16 when I took the "love of my life" (who was 15) to see it. I had not seen it since...until tonight. For some reason, I had been thinking about this movie lately and looked on EBay and got it yesterday. I watched it tonight and cannot believe the memories it brought back. I was surprised to remember a lot of the scenes and lines throughout. It also made me terribly sad to remember that my "love" passed away in a car accident 3 years after we saw it together. The title song gets me every time. I cannot honestly say whether or not this is a "good" movie as far as "good" movies go. But I can say without a doubt that after watching this tonight for the first time in 25 years, this movie takes my heart to a place it hasn't been to since 1984 and made me remember an unforgettable night in 1981.

I guess that's what certain movies do, be it "good" or "bad".

If it weren't for the book....

Author: violetta1485 from United States
15 April 2006

This film wouldn't seem so awful if the book hadn't been so moving and extraordinary. Zeffirelli said in an interview that he was changing it so the love of the two teens was mutual, and not one-sided, and that I believe was his mistake. The book is not about love at all, it's about obsession. Readers have complained that we don't meet Jade until halfway through the book and she hardly seems to merit all that fixation, but that's the point. It's all in David's head.

In the book, when they reunite, he's trying to make them have sex exactly the way they did years ago. The opening pages show him looking through their window, feeling banished from this "wonderful perfect family," but he ignores all the clues that they are nothing of the kind: when he sets the fire, they can't cope because they are all on acid, in what the mother later describes as a last-ditch effort to bring the family together. The mother watches her daughter have sex in order to live vicariously, because her own marriage is falling apart. The father sneaks stimulants into his daughter's food because he believes in homeopathy. The brother, we later learn, brought David home as he brought other classmates home, mostly to impress them with how cool and hip the family is and then dump them when he gets bored (we learn later from an old classmate David meets on the plane that the brother did the same thing to him). David is obviously emotionally fragile to begin with, but these horrible poseurs are exactly the people he doesn't need to meet. They exploit him as an audience for their Coolness Quotient and then dump him without regard for what they might be doing to him. He's a psycho alright--but if he weren't, he might see through them, which he obviously hasn't done, even by the end of the book.

Little of this was conveyed in the movie, which also did not keep Spencer's late-'60s setting, which would have made the Butterfields' boho weekend-hippie aspirations more understandable. A lot of suburban people were trying to prove how groovy they were back then: look at mainstream magazines like Ladies' Home Journal or Newsweek and you'll see articles on open marriages, the pill, and symbolic meanings of Beatles Album covers. The respective talents (or lack thereof) of Shields and Hewitt have been the subject of much debate and jeering, but I don't think much could be done with a script that jettisoned the essential unreliable narrator aspect of the book (i.e., what David *thinks* he's telling us about the Butterfields and himself is not necessarily what we decide to believe after we've heard some of the details). All we have left is the star-crossed lover thing, and that has been done by Zeffirelli himself in R&J, and modernized in West Side Story. Without Shakespeare's words or Bernstein's music, or any novel element or perspective, it's hard to justify doing it again.

love this movie

Author: Linda (happy3563) from PA
2 March 2002

I just saw this movie again for the first time in almost 20 years. This was the greatest, it really touched me when i was a teenage. I saw it with my first love and still to this day I think of him when I see it or think about it. After reading the other comments on this movie it is hard for me to understand how some people dont love it. I think i love it so much because of when i first saw it, I was a teenage in 1981 and it was like nothing i ever saw before. People who are seeing it for the first time now might not get it the same way. My daughter is a teen now and I would like to watch it with her and see what she thinks. this movie will always have a special place in my heart.

This movie gave me my first lesson in Love

Author: scoobyg69 (scoobyg69@aol.com) from America
28 December 1999

I was just a young teenager when I snuck into the theater to see this one. This was the first "Love Story" I really ever watched, and I was touched. I was snatched away into the world of Jade and David, and seduced by the emotion and feelings. By the end, when the movie reaches it's climax, I was in tears. My heart was breaking for each of the charactors. Yes, I was young and emotional, but this movie made an impression on me and gave me my first lesson in Love. I snuck in two more times, just to feel those tears again. I Loved it!

An endless amount of flaws is more like it.

Author: brandon sites (bigpappa1@spinfinder.com) from USA
5 July 2000

Based on the praised novel of the same name, this film deals with the obessive love between two teenagers during a span of about 5 years. With all the talent behind this, including the director, Brooke Shields, and the source of the material you would think this would be a terrific movie, but don't be fooled. It is awful. The two leads are OK, but the rest of the cast just hams it up in a most embarrasing way, the script is really lumpy, the editing perfectly awful, and the direction nowhere near as good as the directors previous efforts (which include Romeo and Juliet and The Taming of the Shrew). Some people may find it good on a so bad its good level. Others beware. My rating: 3 out of 10. (because the title song is excellent)

Endless Love 1981 - Why is this not out on DVD?

Author: jeannineponto from United States
19 September 2006

I am a big fan of movies that were released in the 80's. I can't believe that this movie has not been released in the United States on DVD as of yet??? I have been searching for it and found out it has been released in other countries, but not here yet. I really enjoyed this movie when I was younger and know that even this generation would really enjoy it. I think it would be a great seller and rental. This movie was aired on television several times after it's release at the movie theaters and I know it was a big hit. I hope the production company considers releasing this great movie. I hope that maybe if enough people request it they will listen. This movie was a great coming of age movie that shows a great love story of two young people who have to fight to stay together. It reminds me of a modern Romeo & Juliet. I know it was released on VHS, but never on DVD. It you come across it I recommend you watch it.

endless bore

Author: Caitlin from California
9 June 1999

It's not a terrible movie, despite the wooden performances of the two lead actors. But this story of obsessive love and tragedy never becomes involving or interesting, and feels like it's much too long despite the relatively short running time.

The film does have two redeeming factors: beautiful cinematography and the legendary title song.

So-So Teenage Film about Love...

Author: Jack_Rabbit_Slims91 from Arroyo Grande, California.
24 December 2008

David Axelrod (Martin Hewitt) and Jade Butterfield (Brooke Shields) are two teenage lovers. He is 17, she is only 15.

One night the two, after a party held at the Butterfield house, have sex by the living room fire, witnessed by Jade's mom (Shirley Knight). What follows is a story of strong love and separation that follows David's life as he is banned from seeing the one that he so badly loves.

This film is no way a fantastic film, but it also isn't terrible. Brooke Shields is absolutely stunning in this film (her acting on the other hand...) and her co-star Hewitt does a reasonable job as the lead. Although the film does have its faults and flaws, it is also a tender tale some can relate to... to some point.

Shirley Knight is touching as the mother and Ian Zeiring and James Spader also star as Jade's brothers. Look out for a nerdy and quite irritating Tom Cruise (with a high pitched voice) in a small scene.

I only rated it 10, because it doesn't deserve its 3.9 rating. I would give it a 6 or 7.

Just strange...

Author: MarieGabrielle from United States
14 April 2007

I will have to read the novel this is based on because, overall the effect of the story in unrealistic, and frankly, strange.

Yes, Brooke Shields looks lovely. Her sometime boyfriend is apparently obsessive. We see the usual nebulous references to psychiatry, which was a prevalent plot twist during this time period. When a story plot could not gel, the psychiatric angle would be thrown in to the story (Think: "Prom Night", "Halloween" or "Lipstick").

Don Murray as the ever concerned but clueless father, once again. Disjointed families, divorce and early 80's drama. Not the worst, but certainly could have been better. The hospital and diagnosis of the obsessive boyfriend were completely surreal. 4/10

Too creepy to be a love story. (spoilers)

Author: Pepper Anne from Orlando, Florida
12 March 2005

'Endless Love' may seem like the usual story of teenage romance, carrying on a little too far and too much in that way that teenagers might when they first fall in love. But, this surpasses a tale of romance and instead is the story of young love and desire turned into a psychotic fixation.

Brooke Sheilds plays Jade, the impressionable fifteen year old who's parents forbid her from seeing her boyfriend, David. Only destined to defy her parents, David accidentally burns down the family's house (oh yeah, that's going to go over smoothly with her folks), and is put in a psychiatric hospital. Years pass, and once he is released, David goes looking for Jade, trying to pick up exactly where they left off years ago. But, he is not merely a character who lost his love, but instead, turns things into an unhealthy fixation that borders on the psychotic, gradually making this a very creepy "love story." For me, this was terrible 80s material, and will most likely pique the interest of those who wish to see it merely because of the cast of young familiar 80s favorites (James Spader, Ian Ziering, Tom Cruise, Jami Gertz, etc.).

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]