IMDb > Endless Love (1981) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Special memory for me

Author: mylarstar from United States
19 October 2006

This movie has special meaning for me. I remember being 16 when I took the "love of my life" (who was 15) to see it. I had not seen it since...until tonight. For some reason, I had been thinking about this movie lately and looked on EBay and got it yesterday. I watched it tonight and cannot believe the memories it brought back. I was surprised to remember a lot of the scenes and lines throughout. It also made me terribly sad to remember that my "love" passed away in a car accident 3 years after we saw it together. The title song gets me every time. I cannot honestly say whether or not this is a "good" movie as far as "good" movies go. But I can say without a doubt that after watching this tonight for the first time in 25 years, this movie takes my heart to a place it hasn't been to since 1984 and made me remember an unforgettable night in 1981.

I guess that's what certain movies do, be it "good" or "bad".

If it weren't for the book....

Author: violetta1485 from United States
15 April 2006

This film wouldn't seem so awful if the book hadn't been so moving and extraordinary. Zeffirelli said in an interview that he was changing it so the love of the two teens was mutual, and not one-sided, and that I believe was his mistake. The book is not about love at all, it's about obsession. Readers have complained that we don't meet Jade until halfway through the book and she hardly seems to merit all that fixation, but that's the point. It's all in David's head.

In the book, when they reunite, he's trying to make them have sex exactly the way they did years ago. The opening pages show him looking through their window, feeling banished from this "wonderful perfect family," but he ignores all the clues that they are nothing of the kind: when he sets the fire, they can't cope because they are all on acid, in what the mother later describes as a last-ditch effort to bring the family together. The mother watches her daughter have sex in order to live vicariously, because her own marriage is falling apart. The father sneaks stimulants into his daughter's food because he believes in homeopathy. The brother, we later learn, brought David home as he brought other classmates home, mostly to impress them with how cool and hip the family is and then dump them when he gets bored (we learn later from an old classmate David meets on the plane that the brother did the same thing to him). David is obviously emotionally fragile to begin with, but these horrible poseurs are exactly the people he doesn't need to meet. They exploit him as an audience for their Coolness Quotient and then dump him without regard for what they might be doing to him. He's a psycho alright--but if he weren't, he might see through them, which he obviously hasn't done, even by the end of the book.

Little of this was conveyed in the movie, which also did not keep Spencer's late-'60s setting, which would have made the Butterfields' boho weekend-hippie aspirations more understandable. A lot of suburban people were trying to prove how groovy they were back then: look at mainstream magazines like Ladies' Home Journal or Newsweek and you'll see articles on open marriages, the pill, and symbolic meanings of Beatles Album covers. The respective talents (or lack thereof) of Shields and Hewitt have been the subject of much debate and jeering, but I don't think much could be done with a script that jettisoned the essential unreliable narrator aspect of the book (i.e., what David *thinks* he's telling us about the Butterfields and himself is not necessarily what we decide to believe after we've heard some of the details). All we have left is the star-crossed lover thing, and that has been done by Zeffirelli himself in R&J, and modernized in West Side Story. Without Shakespeare's words or Bernstein's music, or any novel element or perspective, it's hard to justify doing it again.

This movie gave me my first lesson in Love

Author: scoobyg69 ( from America
28 December 1999

I was just a young teenager when I snuck into the theater to see this one. This was the first "Love Story" I really ever watched, and I was touched. I was snatched away into the world of Jade and David, and seduced by the emotion and feelings. By the end, when the movie reaches it's climax, I was in tears. My heart was breaking for each of the charactors. Yes, I was young and emotional, but this movie made an impression on me and gave me my first lesson in Love. I snuck in two more times, just to feel those tears again. I Loved it!

love this movie

Author: Linda (happy3563) from PA
2 March 2002

I just saw this movie again for the first time in almost 20 years. This was the greatest, it really touched me when i was a teenage. I saw it with my first love and still to this day I think of him when I see it or think about it. After reading the other comments on this movie it is hard for me to understand how some people dont love it. I think i love it so much because of when i first saw it, I was a teenage in 1981 and it was like nothing i ever saw before. People who are seeing it for the first time now might not get it the same way. My daughter is a teen now and I would like to watch it with her and see what she thinks. this movie will always have a special place in my heart.

endless bore

Author: Caitlin from California
9 June 1999

It's not a terrible movie, despite the wooden performances of the two lead actors. But this story of obsessive love and tragedy never becomes involving or interesting, and feels like it's much too long despite the relatively short running time.

The film does have two redeeming factors: beautiful cinematography and the legendary title song.

An endless amount of flaws is more like it.

Author: brandon sites ( from USA
5 July 2000

Based on the praised novel of the same name, this film deals with the obessive love between two teenagers during a span of about 5 years. With all the talent behind this, including the director, Brooke Shields, and the source of the material you would think this would be a terrific movie, but don't be fooled. It is awful. The two leads are OK, but the rest of the cast just hams it up in a most embarrasing way, the script is really lumpy, the editing perfectly awful, and the direction nowhere near as good as the directors previous efforts (which include Romeo and Juliet and The Taming of the Shrew). Some people may find it good on a so bad its good level. Others beware. My rating: 3 out of 10. (because the title song is excellent)

A little clarification; and Martin is still gorgeous!

Author: barbiegal7 from Richmond, VA
14 June 2004

Okay, okay....just a little bit of clarification here for the nay-sayers who don't like this film (OBVIOUSLY folks who never had an intense first love in their teen years - and you DON'T need a burning house to have felt that....)

1. WHY DID David BURN DOWN THE HOUSE? A lot of commenters have said they don't know why David "burned down the house." It was not his INTENTION to burn down the house. David's friend (played by Tom Cruise in his acting debut - which I thought would have made his lines more memorable to most folks!) explains how a friend (or it may have been his brother) wanted to get a girl's attention that had broken up with him. He lit some wet newspapers on her front porch which "smoked like hell" - NO FIRE. The friend (or brother) then yelled to everyone in the house that there was a fire and got everyone to "safety" - without there ever having been a real fire. This made him a hero in the eyes of the family. Problem was - the newspapers at Jade's house weren't wet enough, so the house actually caught fire.

2. WHY DOES JADE'S MOTHER SIT ON THE STEPS AND SMILE AS HER 15-YEAR-OLD DAUGHTER HAS SEX? If you've watched the movie up to this scene, you'll know why. Jade's mom is a complete hippie - all about free love, expressing yourself, living in the moment, etc. etc. It is blatantly obvious that she is not the typical "mom" who would scream in hysterics at the site of her daughter having sex. She finds it beautiful, she feels the love that David and Jade share and leaves them to their "free love." "Daddy" doesn't feel quite the same way, of course.

Rotten Romance

Author: Madame Monster
20 March 2015

I remember reading the book about 4 years ago and really liked it so if I forgot something from it I apologize. I understand that certain things in the movie must change from the book but sadly it you make changes the change has to make sense. This didn't happen.

1. These two leads are terrible! I can honestly say that Edward and Bella had more things to say than this. They at least had a conversation about science together. David and Jade just like saying how much they love each other and how they couldn't be apart from one another. That's it. There is no character development from them and no reason for them to stay together. Plus no offense to the actors but there not good at playing these roles. Maybe it's the directors fault but it still is terrible. David is unpleasant to watch which was part of the book but they should have at least made him understanding enough for the audience which sadly he isn't and makes his role as leading male disturbing. Jade is just a whiny teenage girl that I've seen before.

2. The side characters are obnoxious and eerie to watch. The dad is totally crazy, the mother is honestly one of the more frightening mother roles I've ever seen, the other characters are dull and the only one who deserves the one star I'm giving this movie is James Spader. He did a pretty good performance for what he was given.

3. The story is just a mess of problems. Why didn't the dad throw David off his property since technically he was trespassing and refusing to leave? Why did the judge say he couldn't contact Jade yet David is seen sending her letters? Why didn't the dad do anything when he saw naked David in his daughters room and then she went in with only a towel on? Yeah, motivations in this movie are apparently just silly myths.

This could've been a good movie. I could see potential behind it but sadly this movie fell flat on its face. The romance doesn't work, the characters don't work and sadly the story doesn't work. When those three things don't work in a romance movie you sadly have a bad movie.

A great film for certain people,maybe horrible for others

Author: Talita Ferreira from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
15 May 2000

I really loved this movie, but I'm a teenager(15 year-old). This maybe the difference... Older people would believe this film is horrible, stupid.Yes, it contains a history more similar to the teenagers life, which deal with these kinds of difficulties through this period. The passion that the couple lives together made me think that, who knows this still exists nowadays. A thing that really made me "angry" was the attitude of Jade's father,you can't give liberty and take it off all of a sudden, and talking about teenagers, it's even worse! Oh,the love theme is lovely,just perfect for the film...the only thing is that stays forever in your ears(I'm not sure if you get it..:P).

Endless Love 1981 - Why is this not out on DVD?

Author: jeannineponto from United States
19 September 2006

I am a big fan of movies that were released in the 80's. I can't believe that this movie has not been released in the United States on DVD as of yet??? I have been searching for it and found out it has been released in other countries, but not here yet. I really enjoyed this movie when I was younger and know that even this generation would really enjoy it. I think it would be a great seller and rental. This movie was aired on television several times after it's release at the movie theaters and I know it was a big hit. I hope the production company considers releasing this great movie. I hope that maybe if enough people request it they will listen. This movie was a great coming of age movie that shows a great love story of two young people who have to fight to stay together. It reminds me of a modern Romeo & Juliet. I know it was released on VHS, but never on DVD. It you come across it I recommend you watch it.

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]