IMDb > "The Smurfs" (1981) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Smurfs"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Smurfs" More at IMDbPro »"Smurfs" (original title)

One of the best cartoons ever!

Author: Tanzim Husain from England
26 March 2002

I'm really surprised when I see that so few user comments on such a hallmark show. To me the Smurfs defined the 80's. And most importantly, it was what a cartoon should be - plain and simple fun, a touch of morale lessons and most importantly, very little violence.

When you consider other cartoons that were popular in the 80's like Thunder Cats, the Smurfs come out way up ached, in all departments. What makes the Smurfs more interesting than its counterparts is the fact that it also was intellectual, not just a shallow action adventure cartoon, so even grownups can have fun watching it.

If you ever get a chance to watch it, don't miss it.

Trust me.

Great Smurfs we're on IMDb

Author: Matthew from Orlando, Florida
17 January 2003

I like the show, who can forget Gargamel and his sinister laugh, his theme music, the Azeral's meow, and his sidekick Scrouple. Who can forget the background music to the show (depending on the scenes). Who can forget the Smurfs theme song "La La La La La La. La La La La La." You were an 80's child that you were pondering why Smurfette is the only female Smurf and why did baby Smurf never grew up. My brother and I read the comic when the show was big. Do you remember the Smurf Volcabulary. "Let's pick some Smurf-berries!" "It's a Smurfy day." "Great Smurfs!" "Smurf-a-roo!" Remember Papa, Grandpa, Clumsy, Hefty, Handy, Clockwork, Grandma, Tailor, Brainy, Clumsy, Grouchy (reputated for saying "I hate..."), Slouchy, Jokey, Lazy, Poet, Vanity, Wild (a la Tarzan), Scaredy, Push-Over, Barber, Nobody, Greedy (or Baker), Painter (the Smurf with a French accent) and the Smurflings. Jokey p***es every Smurf off with his presents that when opened they explode. Who can forget Jokey's laugh. There are some unusal episode I watched, one called "Purple Smurfs", "The Trojan Smurfs", the episode where there is a giant Smurf that captured Gargamel in a sac, and where the Smurfs had television by a chrystal. Remember Big Mouth and his wife Big Nose. You can't forget the Stalker, and Yojan and Peewit, and the stork they fly Papa Smurf flies with. I will never forget the episodes where they warp in time with the magic chrystals. And some episodes end with Brainy getting Kicked, and landing on his head upside-down. Remember Puppy, he was cute. Sigh. Memories, memories, memories. Nowadays, I get to see them referenced/spoofed/homeaged in some shows. Like THE FAMILY GUY. Stewie is watching it and one Smurf said "We had a Smurfin' good time!" and the other say, "Shut the smurf up!" When you look at a show like that and compare it to a show like DEXTER'S LABORATORY, COURAGE THE COWARDLY DOG, JOHNNY BRAVO, ED, EDD, AND EDDY, or THE POWERPUFF GIRLS. You'll be saying, "The don't make cartoons like the way they used to." From carefully drawn to wackily drawn with plots that put the fun in funny.

Still very smurfy.

Author: Jusenkyo_no_Pikachu from Cyberspace
11 June 2002

I used to watch the Smurfs back when I was at least 5. And the appeal of the show hasn't dimmed. BTW: I'm 18 now.

Recently I read (or should I say "smurfed"?) one of the original Belgian comics, "L'Oeuf et les Schtroumpfs" ("The Smurfs and the Egg", where a giant egg begins to grant wishes), which also featured "Le Centième Schtroumpf" ("The 100th Smurf", where Vanity's mirror creates a new Smurf) and "Le Faux Sctroumpf" ("The False Smurf", where Gargamel disguises himself as a Smurf). And I enjoyed them all, despite the fact that they were in French (a language I studied in school)

And the cartoon is still a "smurfy" cartoon. Worthy of a smurf next time it comes on.

cartoon classic

Author: mattkratz (themattk@hotmail.com) from Richardson, TX
15 December 2005

I used to love The Smurfs when I was a kid. They were a true highlight. I've been hearing lots of stuff lately that they were socialists and all the stuff about stereotyping, but I think that's digging in a bit too deep. The show was obviously aimed at kids. What do kids care about such things? I didn't. I thought the Smurfs were cute and the episodes were all good. For some reason, I've never been able to get such episodes as "The Purple Smurfs" and "Forget-Me-Smurf" out of my mind. Those episodes made huge impact on me. I think every kid would be enchanted by these little blue creatures. I loved them.

*** out of ****

One of the best toons

Author: Bill H-2 from Twin Cities, Minnesota USA
20 October 2000

I am in my 40's and loved to watch the Smurfs when it was on. I see all the new stuff on Saturday mornings now, and just shutter to think that some parents allow their kids to watch. Smurfs had good story lines that taught respect and good values to our children. I wish they would make more toons like the Smurfs!

THE animated series of my childhood

Author: Michael Bregman (mickey@mickey.net) from Gan-Yavne, Israel
15 January 2001

There's no competition there. This is THE series of my childhood. I considered myself the biggest fan ever. I bought every kind of Smurfs merchandise I could afford and even dressed up as Papa Smurf at Purim (the Jewish equivalent of Halloween).

The series was cute without pushing it. The Smurfs were charming and adorable. The storyline were child friendly, but still clever and inventive. I will never forget my favorite episode where a spooky mosquito bites a smurf and turns him to a purple zombie who then bites other smurfs, turning them all to zombies one by one. It was quite spooky and the climax was better than many horror-thriller movies I've seen. Classic magical stuff.

*Sigh* Today's series are either too quirky or too mushy.

Smurfs- gotta love 'em!

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
1 May 2010

I used to watch "Smurfs" every day as a kid, and at 18 I remember the show with such fondness. It is a real shame I haven't seen Smurfs on TV for such a long time, it was a cartoon classic. It had great animation with nice, clean colouring and well drawn characters, a catchy theme tune and clever background music, fun, gripping story lines that often taught something, strong writing and most of all unique and endearing characters. Who can forget Papa Smurf, Handy, Clumsy, Smurfette, Greedy, Smurfy, Vanity and Baby? And of course villainous Gargamel and his somewhat cute feline sidekick Azrael? These are great characters and are well voiced by the likes of June Foray, Don Messick, Frank Welker, Alan Oppenheimer, Alan Young and Lucille Bliss. Overall, a cartoon that I will always revere as a classic. 10/10 Bethany Cox

Good show

Author: Grace Zeh (filmgirlgz@gmail.com) from Chantilly, Virginia, USA
21 May 2014

I used to watch this show when I was a little girl. When I think about it, I only remember it vaguely, though. If you ask me, it was a good show. Two things I also remember vaguely are the opening sequence and theme song. In addition, everyone was ideally cast. Also, the writing was very strong. The performances were top-grade, too. I hope some network brings it back so I can see every episode. Before I wrap this up, I'd like to say that I'll always remember this show in my memory forever, even though I don't think I've seen every episode. Now, in conclusion, if some network ever brings it back, I hope that you catch it one day before it goes off the air for good.

They don't make cartoons the way they used to

Author: afijamesy2k from Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 June 2010

This was one of my favorite cartoons in the history of TV, I Watch it on NBC when I Was about the age of 4, I Still remember all of the smurfs and every episode, including the time traveling episodes which sadly jumped the shark, it's a shame that most cartoons of today (except for spongebob) aren't as good as the classics like these when I Was growning up and it's a shame that actors like don messick (who also voiced scooby doo and later papa smurf) passed on and others have either retired or died, but one thing remains the same, this show will remain a classic for even the next generation which sadly is lost.

The Smurfs is a cartoon classic and I Still have the first season.

I "smurf" the Smurfs!

Author: Julia Arsenault (ja_kitty_71) from Canada
27 September 2010

Let's just say I "smurf" the Smurfs! Thought I was shocked by the negativity I heard on Keyframe.com, I thought the series is really good. My favorite smurf characters are Clumsy Smurf, he's funny; Smurfette (who doesn't love Smurfette) and Handy Smurf because...well because I love Handy and Marina the mermaid, they're my favorite TV couple.

And after watching the TV show, I even read the original comics from Peyo, and now the Smurfs is my favorite European comic along with Rene Goscinny's Asterix the Gaul from France. Overall I really love the Smurfs; that is all I could say about this cartoon series, folks.