IMDb > "Only Fools and Horses...." (1981) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Only Fools and Horses...."
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Only Fools and Horses...." More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

One of the best

Author: Robert Panting from United Kingdom
21 April 2005

This truly is the greatest comedy to hit the screens in the UK. Some of moments of comic genius written by creator John Sullivan are on a completely different level to anything else seen on British TV. Yes, you can talk about Del falling through the bar, and yes you can talk about the blow up sex dolls. They are classic moments, but there are so many hugely funny scenes that are so advanced, it really is amazing how JS thought of them. For example, my personal favourite is in the episode Heroes and Villains when Del Boy and Rodney go to a publican's ball dressed as Batman and Robin - a good idea for a fancy dress party. But then comes a catalogue of comic brilliance. Firstly, (already dressed in their outfits) the van breaks down in the middle of Peckham. DB and R do a runner and scamper through Peckham only to confront a group of muggers. The muggers leave their intended victim convinced it's the real Batman and Robin! Then comes Rodney's wonderful clench fist (ala Robin) before shouting to Del "Let's go" - in my opinion it's the perfect line and one of British comedy's greatest moments. And to top it off, they finally get to the ball only to find the landlord has 24 hours earlier died. Everyone is dressed in their funeral outfits except for our 'caped crusaders' who stand out like a sore thumb.

John Sullivan's achievements of rattling up 25m viewers is fully justified. Not only does he produce perfect comedy, but he couples that with real drama such as the death of Grandad, Cassie's miscarriage, and Rodney's wedding.

We have grown up with the Trotters - and we have died with them in some cases. But the true brilliance of David Jason, Nick Lyndhurst, Buster Merryfield and of course John Sullivan will live on.

Can I give it 11/10?

The Greatest British Sitcom in History!

Author: riddler_1138-3 from Broken Arrow, Ok
19 November 1999

`Only Fools and Horses' is by far the most funniest, original, and well developed British Comedy ever. Myself being a British citizen, I have to say that there is no other funnier show. Derrick "DelBoy" Trotter and his brother Rodney are put together, two of the funniest British actors to ever grace the Television screen. While there were many visual jokes on-screen, there were also many verbal assaults and comments that made this show legendary. Famous mostly for it's Cockney accents and truly original characters, this show was the Best of the Best. Even though it ended sadly in 1991, you can still buy the shows on video and watch them over and over again. They never grow old.

Out of 10.......11/10!

Nice and cool Trig, Nice and cool!

Author: Jenni G from United States
10 August 2008

It is time that Americans got to have this syndicated! This is the funniest sitcom I have ever seen. Thank goodness for the trips to the UK when I can sit around with my friends and watch it. I am a Rodney fan. My favorite episodes are the Chandelier episode, the Batman and Robin one, and Del and Trig in the bar where he falls down. This is top notch comedy. I recommend it to anyone who wants a good laugh! I want to buy the DVD set of this if I can get it in American format. It's a shame other Americans have not seen this. I have not met one person here in the States that has seen it. All I can say is they are missing out on the world's best sitcom. American sitcoms are boring, British rock! God Bless Hooky Street!

"You Know It Makes Sense"

Author: greg-233 from Australia
8 January 2002

"Only Fools and Horses" is definitely one of the funniest shows ever written. David Jason plays Derrick (Del Boy) Trotter, a likable rip-off merchant who runs Trotters Independent Traders. Although Del Boy's cockney speech is riddled with malapropisms (such as saying goodbye with words like "bonjour"), he manages to con the public into buying (stolen) goods they don't really want, pay for services they don't really need, or basically give up large sums of money for whatever doomed enterprise he happens to be peddling that week.

Del Boy's gift of the gab comes in handy whenever he has to placate his gauche brother Rodney (Nicholas Lyndhurst), who, unlike Del Boy, happens to have principles. Rodney allows himself to be talked into the most ridiculous, humiliating situations, thanks to Del Boy's twisted logic and specious arguments.

Grandad is the third member of the team; often the butt of Del Boy's pranks, his cookery skills leave a lot to be desired. He spends most of the time taking care of the flat (filled with all kinds of gaudy junk) and watching two televisions. Grandad was later replaced by Uncle Albert, whose experiences in the Navy have provided him with a limitless store of anecdotes that invariably begin with "During the war..."

Among my favourite episodes are "The Yellow Peril", where Rodney has to paint the grotty kitchen of a Chinese takeaway. "The Russians Are Coming" is (or was) a timely episode where the Trotters spend time in their own nuclear fallout shelter and Del Boy ponders the idea of procreation with mutants. "A Touch of Glass" has the team cleaning 17th Century chandeliers. That episode also proves that the best solution to a problem is to run away from it.

John Sullivan was originally going to call this show "Big Brother". But then he decided that people take more notice of long titles. Sullivan also sings the catchy theme song. Each episode of "Only Fools and Horses" is laughter guaranteed.

The best? Man, it certainly seems like it!

Author: fibreoptic from England
21 June 2004

Only Fools & Horses has never really been one of my favourites but for over 20 years i have enjoyed it when it has been on television and has gave me many a laugh. My life at the moment isn't actually what you would call sweet so a lot of the time i mope around like a miserable git and laugh at few things. Couple of weeks ago i decided to sit down and watch Only Fools & Horses on UK Gold and you know what? I haven't laughed so much in years! I was laughing so much my sides were splitting which not even top comedies like Fawlty Towers or Red Dwarf could do. Now the episodes i've been watching were the ones from the eighties which are by far the best of the bunch and the last time i seen them i was a kid so i didn't fully appreciate the humour but now i'm in my late twenties it's like ten times more funnier! The episode where Del wins Rodney a holiday and Rodney has to pretend to be 14 is absolutely priceless. That cheered me up no end. I would never ever buy Only Fools & Horses on DVD for the main reason that comedies of this calibre shouldn't be watched over and over again. I'll catch the episodes in another few years time so i can laugh just as hard once again. I never thought that Only Fools & Horses was this good but me uncontrollably laughing proves otherwise. HAHAHA Rodney's expressions when Del does something he doesn't like! Man, you all have to watch this brilliant British comedy. By the way, Trigger ROCKS!!!

Classic!!

Author: darkman-1 from Los Angeles
18 October 2001

I'm a Yank who loves OFAH. The characters are charming, the dialogue hilarious & there's usually a nice twist at the end. The way writer Sullivan weaves call-backs into the stories is impressive. A must see for any fan of great British sitcoms. Be wary of the post-domesticated years, however. As much as Del & Rodney deserved steady girlfriends, it changed the dynamic of the show for the worse & diminished its off the wall appeal. The longer episodes also diluted the sharp, compact punch of earlier seasons. Start with the "holy Trinity" years (Grandad & Uncle Albert are both great) to appreciate OFAH at its finest. Cushty!

Simply the best

Author: markbak76 from Dublin Ireland
4 October 2005

Classic comedy is a term which is often overused but it fits Only Fools & Horses perfectly. In particular series 1-4 are absolutely brilliant. John Sullivan made you fall in love with the characters so that you could laugh and share in their experiences down through the years as if you actually knew them. The creation of Del Boy as a character was inspired and played faultlessly by David Jason. I felt the later episodes and specials were vastly inferior to the earlier ones but were still well worth a watch.

My favourite programme ever ..............

Trigger for prime minister

Author: Butterworthp from Leicester, england
20 January 2003

This show is by far the greatest show in history with out any doubt at all. When it began in 1981 before i was born it was a instant hit but i got to see the videos from thr first couple of years which are good but the best episdoes are from 1985 onwards with the introduction of the bearded uncle albert and his famous quote 'DURING THE WAR'. But the best thing about this show is trigger who is the best tv character of all time even funny than chandler bing from american sitcom friends, he is so stupid it is so funny. In one episode he is talking about his brush which he has used for twenty years and how it is the same brush and then he says that he has changed the head 10 times and 7 new handles CLASSIC.I just hope they still give us the adventures of rodney and del for some time to come.

Excellent

Author: Paul Barrett (baza666@hotmail.com) from Hull, England
8 September 2001

I will agree with almost everyone else who has posted a comment, this is probably the best comedy show ever!! Its funny though how there are no Americans commenting on it, I presume its shown in America. Anyway, its great. I didnt really like the first few series much, but once the nineties hit, it became really funny, i have lost count how many times I have watched each episode, but they are still funny. 9/10

Fantasticly original and hilarious

Author: SoulAngel7
26 May 2003

I wasn't born when it began and its only been in the 90s and through repeats of old episodes have I been able to watch the progression of this unique and hilarious comedy show. As a British person I can relate to the humour and characters and there are some real people like this. I adore the show and its wonderful timeless classic humour from Trig and his "alright Dave" to the warm, but annoying Uncle Arthur who somehow completed the show more than poor old Grandad. This story of two brothers really is made so that people can warm and relate to their struggles in life, because we are all looking to make money and be accepted and loved. Del Boy is a chip off the old block with his "one day we'll be millionaires" and then they were!! Del has some bad schemes, legal and illegal mainly, but he has a generous heart and loves his younger brother Rodney, but his terrible French is always a classic in the joke stakes. Rodney is a little dopey, but always a warm and great character who interacts well with the others and finally found love the lovely Cassandra. All the other characters have an immense dose of the right humor from the ever stupid Trig, to the untrustworthy and sly Boycie to the good mate Mike the landlord of the regular pub the Nag's Head.

This is sublime and classic British comedy at its best.There are easily funny and memorable lines and each episode has a great sense of humour. The show never fails to impress and is one of the superb shows of all time. My particular favourite moments are the episode where they pretend to be chandelier cleaners and Uncle Albert unscrews the wrong one and crash goes an expensive chandelier, the episode where Trig and Del are out on the pull and Del eyes 2 females and says "play it cool Trig, play it cool", goes to lean on the previouly complete bar, which has now been lifted and falls down and the expression on Trigs face is priceless and also the time Del stops the lift to make Rodney open up his pent up anger and sadness after the loss of his and Cassandra's baby. Absolutely a wonderful show that can be repeated endlessly and never fail to make me laugh.

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]