IMDb > "Dynasty" (1981) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Dynasty"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Dynasty" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Dynasty: Crazy, Campy and Way Over-the-Top!!!

Author: Greg Phillips-Hernandez (gregory1967@mw.net) from United States
24 April 2005

I watched Dynasty from episode one and very rarely ever missed the Wednesday night saga of the Carringtons. Having recently purchased the DVD set of the first season, I've been giving the show a lot of thought... Like many other TV shows both past and present, Dynasty started without a clear focus and eventually matured into something unique and far removed from what the producers originally intended. The show had two distinct eras: pre-Alexis and post-Alexis. No, Joan Collins didn't make or break Dynasty, but she gave it a heck of a fun "flavor." At its inception, Dynasty was a serious, almost somber account of the lives of the super rich Carringtons of Denver, CO. There was patriarch Blake, confused son Steven, spoiled brat Fallon, and Blake's new and very overwhelmed wife, Krystle. Having now watched a little of that first season, I find myself eagerly waiting for Alexis to turn the family on its collective ear! Dynasty's ultimate strength, and also its downfall, was in its becoming campy and larger than life. While some of us may expect the super-wealthy to act crazy, Dynasty added plot lines and characters that were the traditional soap-opera themes magnified with a huge budget, and beautiful people... illicit affairs, long-lost children, traumatic pregnancies, murders, trials, etc... There were frequent mis-steps (the Moldavian Prince, Michael, comes to mind as well as the entire 'The Colbys' series) and there were truly fun characters like Alexis and son Adam whom we loved to hate. But to me, the bottom line will always be that Dynasty was campy and much larger-than-life. It was a lot of fun those eight years, always wondering what would happen next...

happy memories of the '80s

Author: blanche-2 from United States
23 November 2005

Dynasty was a huge favorite of myself and my friends, and I have many memories of discussing the show with them either over the phone as it was happening or the next day. The Carringtons were created to compete with the highly successful Dallas and Ewings of South Fork, but Dynasty was never a copycat show. While Dallas certainly focused on the soap opera elements common to all these programs, J.R.'s sliminess in business was a focal point. Dynasty was about obvious, over the top luxury and family with some camp elements included that made it special. What I loved about Dynasty was that, at least in the beginning, it was never camp for camp's sake - the camp was part of the show. For instance, when the casting of Fallon changed, the portrait of the old Fallon that hung over the fireplace was quietly replaced with a painting of the new one, Emma Samms, that looked like a paint by the numbers from Woolworth's. And of course, Joan Collins' Alexis had camp built right into the character. And there was Steven's plastic surgery...so many happy moments.

And no other show could boast the wardrobe of Dynasty, or the beauty of Linda Evans. I can still see her, bedecked in diamonds, walking toward Blake in a blue gown slit all the way up her thigh.

For me, once they had Alexis disguised as a nun and the whole Moldavian thing started, the show became self-conscious camp, as these shows often do, and I lost interest. But certainly Dynasty was a bright spot in the '80s and for a time, you couldn't beat it.

Dynasty - My dream and my reality

Author: Goran Markovic (goma_x@ptt.yu) from Cacak, Serbia
24 January 2002

My name is Goran Markovic, I'm a 35 years old professor from Serbia. My life consists of various activities but through out the years I kept a special place in my heart for Dynasty. It is my connection to the past, time when I was growing up, finding out about the facts of life, when I was exchanging impressions on Dynasty with some great people, and today, we still share memories of our favorite characters and events. I hope you learned a lot about me, my thoughts about Dynasty through Ultimate Dynasty site. But memories are something personal, hidden deep within us, and I wanna share a part of it with Dynasty fans world wide.

In 1984, when the news of broadcasting Dynasty in Serbia was announced, there was a lot of commotion because the communist government thought the show will have a negative influence on the nation by spreading capitalistic ideas with the story about wealth and luxury and this way destabilize the communist regime. It only made the nation more intrigues and with a lot of dust, Dynasty began airing. I remember sitting with my parents and my sister at our home when the first episode was on. No one said a word until its end. It was a beginning of a ferry tale in my the live of my family but also, the beginning of incredible euphoria in all country. It was the most popular show for years, and I couldn't face missing an episode.

Years went by and my country and the surrounding area was struck by war, bombarding and terror, communists fell, now my country lives in freedom with hope of a better life ahead, and all this time Dynasty was a refuge from problems, difficulties of every day's life. The show especially marks the period when I went to school to another city. Season 4 was on, I was in the dorm. We stayed awake even after our bad time because the show aired in late hours and my roomies and I watched it in secrecy sop that our teachers wouldn't catch us. We stayed awake 'till morning, talking about events and characters.

My imagination went wild, I pretended to be one of the characters, I imagined I was in the Filoli mansion, checking its every corner. The world of Carrington's was my world. It is still my great wish to visit America, meet some of the actors, visit the Filoli mansion. I spend years collecting pictures and episodes of the show. I almost have all Dynasty and the Colbys episodes taped, and it was time to create and present this site to you which is my all time wish coming through.

The memories today are still very much vivid and alive, I share them with my family, friends, fans. Dynasty is my dream and my reality.

Sincerely, Goran Markovic

Makes you feel good!

Author: sexysalonikon from Australia
4 May 2006

Where else can you find the bitchiest 50 year old, dressed in the most extravagant gowns of all time? Sounds like the perfect show to me! Yes, Dynasty was without a doubt that one show that basically encouraged fans to sit back, put up their feet and watch how these "rich bastards" are living! No other show, not even the ultra popular Dallas, could take fantasy to that level. The show made you feel as though you too could be a Carrington living in a mansion and drinking champange. The "storylines" or perhaps lack of, left plenty of room to emphasize what audiences really wanted to see: sex, power, vanity and the most expensive jewels in all the world! This is Dynasty and the 80s at its very best!

Dynasty... a REAL soapy opera

Author: Greg Phillips (gregar@indy.net) from Muncie, Indiana, USA
11 September 2000

Dynasty concerned the goings-on of a wealthy Denver, Colorado family, the Carringtons. While it was surreal, campy, and wayyyy out to the left of reality, it was still FUN. It still caught and kept your attention and left you wanting much more. John Forsythe's Blake Carrington was the family's patriarch, always seeming a little bit confused about what was going on. His lovely young wife, Linda Evan's Crystal, was always getting stuck in some kind of trouble. Joan Collins as Alexis was sheer delight! A campy witch who was always causing trouble. The cast was large and the stories grand and fun. I never missed an episode of Dynasty during it's original run. Not until I went to college during the 1987-88 season... What I wouldn't give to see it all again!

Dynasty Loved it Dynamic

Author: SandraOmnp (SandraOmnp@aol.com) from Brooklyn, NY USA
13 November 2003

I loved Dynasty. It was and still is my all time favorite show. Given that it aired once a week for an hour, I found this show both entertaining and informative, the story lines may have seemed far fetched but, only due to the time given to tell them. For the time the show aired people found it unbelieveable, but if Dynasty aired today I am sure it would not seem as far fetched. If these same producers came out with another show I am sure it would be just as ground breaking in its story lines as Dynasty was. This show brought out a whole new fashion trend, a more acceptable view of the gay life style a look in to the future of corporate take overs, the awareness of casual relationships, the increasing lack of committment and faithful in marriages, the total disregard of others rights to own businesses due to greed and the need to have more. Dynasty gave more than just campy soap it also told of what to expect in the future as a result of current actions. Great work Mr. Spelling, any time one gives a view of future events he will be condemed. And since Dynasty addressed so many tabu issues the powers that be were afraid to allow it to continue. Hopefully Mr Spelling or some other producer will be bold enough to give the public a view of the future through entertaining drama. BRAVO

Vastly underrated first season best of all.

Author: brendanchenowith from United States
14 April 2005

When it was in production, I only began to watch Dynasty in the middle of the second season, the night of the big pillow fight, and I was hooked. VCR's were only a week away at that time and there was nothing like this sort of availability. Anyway, I later viewed the first season on FX in the mid 90's (I think) and wasn't very impressed with it at first, but I was taping them and decided to go back and see the occasional episode. May I say the first season not only grew on me, but it was its very best. No outlandish plots, both rich and "getting-by" classes were depicted as actual human beings. No suspension of disbelief, this was a very credible drama, only to later become a very INcredible circus! I was very well addicted to this circus, and it was very amusing and there were a lot of great lines, etc., not to mention the actors and actresses. I didn't like it when we were pummeled by the cast revolving door, so to speak, and upon Pamela Sue Martin's departure, I didn't think I was going to watch it anymore, but I thought, "what the hay! I didn't have anything special to do on Wednesday nights, anyway, so.....".

Very happy to hear there will be interviews with my two favorite Dynasty-ites, Pamela Sue Martin and Al Corley.

Fallon and Steven aren't number 1 and number 2 favorites, more like 1-A and 1-B Can't wait to get this - the digital transfer ought to be a stunner - I'm sure my two-year-old videos from SoapNet are fading just a little. Did I mention I taped all of these in slow speed?

A show that made its own mark in television history

Author: Billie Rae Bates (BRBTVcom) from United States
11 June 2005

Although ABC's "Dynasty" really began as a response to the wildly popular "Dallas" on CBS, the show became so much more over its original U.S. run, from 1981 to 1989.

While "Dallas" had a bit of the earthy element of the ranch and the land and their value (think Miss Ellie) mixed in with the big-bucks oil industry, "Dynasty" was all glitz, all the time. After the show found its way during the first season, and Alexis arrived for the second, the characters went great guns in their portrayal of '80s capitalism and high living. We all wanted to watch. Maybe, in a way, we all wanted to live those lives. But would we, really? Hmmm ...

Being a chick, I enjoyed the **fashions** and the intrigue as I watched the show originally in the 1980s. I was a teen who hadn't yet experienced the big world out there yet, and I think the show appealed to a lot of people my age for that same reason. I'm thankful that the show has been released on DVD now, because I talked to so many fans over the years who desperately longed for the videos (back before DVD)!

Probably my favorite show, I have 'em all on tape

Author: cmichaud from United States
31 August 2004

A few thoughts to add on this classic series: I was hooked from the very first episode, when Blake was driving his limo across the estate and Fallon raced him on her horse and got thrown. She got dirty and wet, so she put on Blake's sport coat when he stopped to help her. Then she got back on the horse and rode it to the stable, presumably WEARING NOTHING BUT THE COAT!!! Daddy's girl indeed, clearly this was like nothing that had ever aired before! The elaborate, preposterous plot twists, like Adam's using poison paint on Jeff's wall, were all part of the fun. The Moldavian massacre was brilliant -- practically Shakesperean as the camera pulled back to show a heap of bodies, worthy of Hamlet or MacBeth. There were however some major miscalculations, such as Emma Samms' replacing the brilliantly snippy Pamela Sue Martin. The less said about her the better. Than there was the plot twist (Steven's disappearance) that had Fallon become buddies with Krystal. "OH Krystal!" she wailed as they embraced. This was a really, really bad turn. The tension between those two had been one of the few things that made Krystal even moderately interesting. And it made Fallon seem dull once she teamed up with Krystal. Yecchh. Then there was Blake's evolution from a heavy into a wooden, semi-decent dullard. This, as I understand, was at John Forsythe's behest, as he didn't want to play such a heavy. MISTAKE! Bringing in new characters wasn't always so awful, I don't think. Adam became one of the show's most fun, interesting villains. Often, the show's silliest bits were its best: Paul Burke, as Cong. McVane, dressed in full drag (with wig and gown) so that he'd be mistaken for Alexis if anyone spied him tossing tennis pro Mark off the balcony -- how can you not love that? And perhaps my favorite all time moment, which I still show at parties: Claudia (poor dear..) cornered on the roof with Fallon's baby (or so we thought). When she lurches away, the baby , in a long shot, flies out of the bunting , through the air, and the camera changes angle to just below the edge of the roof, looking UP, and you see the 'baby' , in SLO MO, yet, sailing through the air, down towards the camera! WOW!!!! (No dead baby jokes here, it turned out to be a doll. Claudia really was whacked at the time...) Sigh. I miss it all , even with the tapes. The latter years weren't worth much, but those first five seasons or so were unmatched. I disagree wholeheartedly that it was only good for a year or 2 before going down the tubes.

Dynasty 80s Revisted!

Author: gregoryshnly from United Kingdom
19 January 2007

"Dynasty" started off as a drama series about the rich Carringtons,headed by Blake,(John Forsythe)gay son Steven(Al Corley),wayward daughter Fallon(Pamela Sue Martin)and new wife innocent Krystle(Linda Evans) The poor family were Matthew Blazidel(Bo Hoskins)Claudia(one of my favourite characters played by Pamela Bellwood)just out of a mental ward and daughter Lynsey(Katy Kurtzman) After thirteen episodes,the ratings were poor,the arrival of Joan Collins as super-bitch Alexis,bitter ex wife of Blake sent the ratings through the roof as did the cat fight between Alexis and Krystle. Claudia was the only Blazidel to return in the 2nd season but several seasons later,Matthew made a dramatic return when he tries to kidnap Krystle,Steven(Jack Coleman by this time)saves them all by stabbing Matthew. The show continued to get glossier and glossier,Pamela Sue Martin was a big loss to the series,when she left after season 4 as was Al Corley,who left after season 2,unhappy at gay Steven suddenly and unconvincingly getting a glamorous young wife.,Sammy -Jo(Heather Locklear) The storyline that haunted Dynasty was the Moldivan Massacre when the entire cast were shot at Amanda's(Catherine Oxenberg)wedding to Prince Michael (Michael Praed)with only Steven's lover Luke(Bill Campbell)and Lady Ashley Mitchell(Ali McGraw)perishing. Although this cliffhanger caused the show to get to no1,the follow up episodes were disappointing and it was the start of the end of Dynasty,the double of Krystle storyline was just plain mad really! I did like the show though with special credit to Joan Collins for turning it around,Dianne Carroll as Dominique was also a great character,Stephanie Beacham adding a new nemesis for Alexis as Sable when Linda Evans left in the last season. I look forward to seeing the rest of this great show on DVD soon.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]