IMDb > "Danger Mouse" (1981) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Danger Mouse" More at IMDbPro »

"Cor, DM!"

Author: grendelkhan from Xanadu
6 April 2003

From a typical Baker St. pillar box came the story of the World's Greatest Secret Agent, Danger Mouse; and the World's Worst Assistant, Penfold. Their afternoon tea has been interrupted by Colonel K, with another mission to stop that fiend, Baron Silas Greenback and the henchiest of henchmen, Stiletto. "Oh, eck" indeed!

I discovered this wonderful and hilarious series one day, while in college. I went into the tv lounge and someone was watching Nickelodeon. There on the screen was a curious one-eyed white mouse. I stopped to watch and became more engrossed. This was side-achingly funny! From that point on, I tried to catch each afternoon's new adventure.

The writing was exquisite, even if the jokes were silly. The voices had a nice blend of the comic and the ironic. The archetypes were brilliant: the cool measured voice of our hero, DM; the blustering old codger Col. K; the cringing cowardly Penfold; the hoarse whispered Baron Greenback; the Cockney thug, Stiletto. Add a daffy mix of guest characters like the alien JJ Quark, Prof. Squackenkluck, Agent 57, Count Duckula, and others; and you had something that rivalled Monty Python for sheer anarchy and laughs.

I was able to tape the series when it was later rebroadcast on Nickelodeon, a few years later. Every once in a while, I pull them out to watch again. They never grow tired; although the earlier episodes tend to be better than the later ones.

And, so; the sun sets on another adventure of the White Wonder and his hopeless assistant. What lies ahead for our heroes on the morrow? Tune in next time for another stirring adventure of....

"Penfold! and, err Danger Mouse."

"Penfold,.....Shush!"

"Oh, eck!"

Please bring this back on television!

Author: dootuss from PA
21 January 2002

I miss this show so much! It was really funny and creative, and I couldn't wait for it to come on everyday when it aired on Nickelodeon back in the 80's. Danger Mouse, and his sidekick Penfold (who is a hamster) would always foil the evil Silas Greenback's evil plans, and have a little humor in it as well. Even though this was a kids show, adults could enjoy it as well.

This was a really cool show. I wish Nickelodeon would air it again. But knowing them, that won't ever happen again (sniffle, sniffle). Nickelodeon has really gone downhill with crap like Spongebob, and Fairly Oddparents and it's a shame since kids won't be able to see cartoons that can be funny without being gross like this show.

This cartoon rules!

Why not Bring back Danger Mouse?

Author: wishkah7 from Brooklyn, NY. (Where I'm from originally.)
9 May 2001

This cartoon was like Monty Python meets James Bond. It was about a heroic mouse named Danger Mouse who was the best secret agent and he had an inept and cowardly sidekick, a hampster named Ernest Penfold who was like a cross between Stan Laurel and Peter Lorre. Together Danger Mouse and Penfold went on vivid and wildly hilarious adventures and had to save the world from a mafia-like syndicate presided by the villainous Silas Greenback.

Besides Garfield and Friends this was another one of my favorite cartoons from my childhood! It wouldn't hurt to bring it back to television with reruns! Danger Mouse had something in it for both kids and adults alike. And Danger Mouse is way better than all those cartoons they have out nowadays that have kids who 'save the world' with the help from their pocket/digital monsters. And on top of it all, it's non-violent!

So, if you're missing Danger Mouse, just order some video tapes of it! Check out your local video store one of these days! Danger Mouse was a true classic cartoon. Animated British humor which will leave you in stitches!

He's the strongest. He's the quickest. He's the best.

Author: DragonMasterHiro from USA
7 July 2003

Another great show from my younger days, Danger Mouse used to pop up on Nickelodeon. I first saw Count Duckula before also stumbling onto this cartoon. Secret Agent Danger Mouse, looking heroic with his DM emblem and tough with his eyepatch, lived in a red mailbox on a street corner in London. His sidekick, the lovable but cowardly Penfold, was a blue suit wearing mole who would run behind Danger Mouse screaming "Oh, eck!". Colonel K, who I think was an old beaver or something, would call in and send Danger Mouse on all his dangerous missions to thwart the evil Baron Silas Greenback, a large frog petting a fuzzy caterpillar. DM would also drive around in his own super secret agent car, escape from snapping alligators and always saved the day. I also remember a lot of bombs exploding and that great theme song.

My favorite Cosgrove-Hall series

Author: Julia Arsenault (ja_kitty_71) from Canada
4 April 2011

I had watched this show - well the first five episodes on YouTube, and already I love this show! I'm starting to like the espionage motif.

And already I have ten favorite episodes. I always love the idea of a mouse as a hero. For example: books like Brain Jacques' "Redwall" and "The Tale of Despereaux" by Kate DiCamillo. My favorite characters are the titular character himself and Nero the caterpillar. I know he's the "cat" of that maniacal, evil genius of a toad Baron Silas Greenback, but I love him! He makes such amazingly cute noises! Also it was a clever idea to use a caterpillar as a cat for a small creature like Greenback.

So anyway, that is all I have to say about this cartoon series, folks and that the animation and voice-acting are top-notch. And off-topic: no other actor could do Baron Silas Greenback than Edward Kelsey.

Amazing! Astounding!

Author: didi-5 from United Kingdom
27 February 2005

'Danger Mouse' cashed in on the heights of 'Danger Man' and the Bond films to create a mouse superhero (voiced by the versatile David Jason).

In a tale of good versus evil (the usual cartoon simplistic stuff), Danger Mouse and his hamster sidekick Penfold (voiced by the much missed Terry Scott) battled against the wonderfully named Silas Greenback (voiced by Edward Kelsey). Danger Mouse was a master of derring-do and wore an eyepatch! Written by comic Mike Harding and kids' TV regular Brian Trueman (who presented Screen Test amongst other things) it was funny, clever, and hugely enjoyable for all age groups.

My Favourite Cartoon Of The Early 1980's

Author: Big Movie Fan from England
1 June 2002

The early 1980's was quite an exciting time for cartoons-Danger Mouse was one of the many great cartoons out there and it gives me great pleasure to see it getting released onto DVD here in the United Kingdom recently.

Danger Mouse was pure fun. It had a great tune, a great hero and a great villain. What amused me at the time was the animals used in this show. I don't particularly like mice and wouldn't want a mouse as a pet but I found myself rooting for Danger Mouse whenever he fought evil. As for Baron Greenback, well he was just disgusting. I don't mind frogs actually but whenever cartoon shows want a villain they usually choose a reptile or an amphibian. Baron Greenback was evil and his voice was just horrible.

Danger Mouse and Penfold had some exciting adventures although I wouldn't have trusted Penfold with my life. It was a great show with some great moments and one which I would urge young fans to track down on video. I have great memories of this show.

Now if only I could remember the name of Danger Mouse's girlfriend who he used to talk about.

What cartoon legends are made of...

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
29 September 2009

What a gem of an animated show. This was part of my childhood when I was little, and I still adore it now. Seriously, it should be brought back, so that children nowadays could enjoy the childhood gems like this, Talespin, Count Duckula, Darkwing Duck and Peter Pan and the Pirates, that are ignored and replaced with (save a couple of rarities) awfully animated shows like Shaggy and Scooby Doo:Get a Clue. Back on target, Danger Mouse is an absolute gem. The animation is fantastic, very colourful and vibrant, not shoddy and flat. The theme tune is one of my all time favourite animated show theme tunes, I can't help it, it is so catchy and wholly memorable. The scripts and story lines are funny and original, and the characters are great, not only Danger Mouse and Penfold, but also Baron Greenback is such a convincing villain. The voice acting is just brilliant from everyone involved; David Jason is an enormously talented actor and he was just superb as the iconic title character. All in all, a brilliant animated show, that should be brought back. 10/10 Bethany Cox

One of the best Cartoons

Author: kam-wing pang (kamwingpang@hotmail.com) from Hong Kong
13 May 1999

This is my childhood cartoon, and I miss it.. David Jason was great as the various voices. The stories were funny and the characters were classics.

I lay in wait when they will re-show this cartoon...

Brings Back To Fond Memories Of Childhood, When I Used To Wait For The Show On Telly!

Author: Vivekmaru45 from Kenya
17 October 2011

The pint-sized Secret Agent Danger Mouse and his wisecracking sidekick Penfold are thrown into mission after mission by the absent-minded Colonel K., where they either battle the dangerous Baron Greenback and his right-arm man Stiletto, or face the maniacal Doctor Augustus P. Crumhorn III, or some other out-worldly threat! D.M. as I fondly refer to him has an arsenal of hi-tech gadgets and an super-fast vehicle that can fly as well as drive over land.

The script for the series was excellent, the action and comedy mixing superbly. Penfold and D.M's one-liners are legendary. We always have those at the end of the cartoon after he completes his mission and talks to Colonel K. about it.

Verdict: Very good for children and general family viewing. I here the complete collection is available to buy on DVD. So what are you waiting for?

Some Memorable Episodes:

Season 1, Episode 6, The Dream Machine: Baron Silas Greenback has created a dream machine. The device resembles a colorful cloud. The dream machine descends upon DangerMouse and Penfold. They see no possible escape. Within the dream machine, whatever Penfold says is created. Terrified for a few minutes, DangerMouse and Penfold find a way to create just what they need to confront and defeat the villainous Greenback.

Season 2, Episode 2, Close Encounters of the Absurd Kind: Penfold is practicing Kung-Moggie when he and, more importantly, Danger Mouse are send to Eaves Drop Island (near the Bermuda Triangle) to safeguard the Big Ear tracking station from Baron Greenback. Once there, they are abducted by aliens and probed by Dr. Zock. However, DM refuses to believe Zock is nothing more than Greenback wearing a silly purple mask.

Season 9, Episode 1, I Spy with My Little Eye: Greenback is smuggling sunlamps to the Eskimos to melt the polar icecaps flood the world. Unfortunately, Dangermouse and Penfold lose the Mark 3 and soon get lost on the North pole.

Season 10, Episode 1, Crumhorn Strikes Back!: DM and Penfold are taking a holiday in New York provided by the nice folks at the FBI. Doctor Augustus P. Crumhorn III takes the opportunity to get his revenge on Danger Mouse by swallowing his transformation pills and posing as a terminally cute young girl who claims her father has been kidnapped.