IMDb > Xiao lao hu (1973) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Xiao lao hu More at IMDbPro »

Rather slow, and doesn't really star Jackie Chan.

Author: antiwolf ( from Minneapolis, MN
26 May 2002

Jackie Chan is credited as the star of this movie, but he really is not. He is a major supporting actor, but not the star. It's just been packaged to highlight his name. I found the movie slow and rather boring. I enjoy watching Jackie Chan movies, but this one just did not hold my interest. Possibly because the movies he starred in were a lot better than ones where he merely appeared in.

Not a great kung fu movie, but far from the worst

Author: obloco from Gallup, New Mexico
22 November 2009

I got this movie as part of a three pack, with the other two titles being Snake Crane Secret (which is on at least half of the compilation kung fu DVD's), and Breathing Fire (which as one reviewer here said is "Crap-tastic!"). Bargain Bin.

The blurb on the DVD box incorrectly states Jackie Chan is the taxi driver/hero of the movie. He actually plays one of the thugs, with a bad mole on his face, and is only a supporting actor - which means less screen time, and less of him in the fight sequences. Too bad.

Some of the fights are good, but most are only average for a kung fu flick: better than the Phillipino stuff, but not by much, and definitely not up to the Chinese Movie Village standard. The car chase scenes are almost bad enough to be funny. Almost.

I have to agree with the other comment, for an action movie this is quite slowly paced, and seemed like much longer than 90 minutes.

I wouldn't avoid seeing it, but I'd avoid paying money for it unless you are a Jackie Chan complete-ist - and be ready for Chan to take a back seat, not center stage.

images from a clash

Author: ( from Düssledork
11 July 2012

faith. fear. a mission. religions as bricks for two boys. and the need of Heaven. a touching film about ordinaries realities. nothing new. nothing strange. only exercise of a new vision about old things. and new form of Don Quijote adventure. sure, it is not extraordinary. boring - in few parts -, common, just pink. instrument of ecumenism. story about innocence and world of adults. but not colors are important. but nuances. a friendship, an ideal, a ladder for conquer the Heaven, Brian Dennehy as Father Kelly, Aidan Quinn as fireman and father of eight children, full of frustration, the boys on beach and the confession of faith.a movie like many others. but different in few aspects. like every man. like every family. like every religion.