Without Warning (1980) Poster

Bloodsucking Frisbees Thrown By Man with Lampshade For a Head
GroovyDoom9 August 2000
This very weird drive-in flick directed by Greydon Clark is pretty creepy, in a brainless sort of way. Predating the "Predator" concept by a number of years, "Without Warning" involves a mysterious alien presence lurking in the woods, claiming campers and backpackers with the use of living, tentacled flying discs it hurls at potential victims.

The fact that the killer is an alien gives it a faux sci-fi twist, but in reality this has more in common with "Friday the 13th", albeit with flying alien discs. The alien itself spends most of the movie offscreen, throwing its frisbees at people, then harvesting them and storing their bodies in a convenient old shack normally used by the water department (who are marginally less frightening than murderous aliens).

The obnoxious characters might get on your nerves, particularly the stereotypical shell-shocked vet portrayed by Martin Landau. The young male lead is also pretty irritating (bad-movie junkies may recognize him from "Roller Boogie"). One of the biggest pleasures of the film is the presence of numerous b-movie personalities and character actors, a number of whom also appeared in Greydon Clark's second alien thriller of 1980, "The Return". Palance and Landau, light years away from their Oscars, really ham it up big time alongside Larry Storch, Neville Brand ("Eaten Alive"), Ralph Meeker ("The Night Stalker", "Food of the Gods"), Cameron Mitchell (God, where to begin??). Look fast for a very young David Caruso as an early alien snack. Further linking the film to "Predator" is that the alien in this film is played by the same actor who played The Predator, the late Kevin Peter Hall.

It's definitely a low-rent affair, but there is some good stuff here. The atmospheric photography helps, although the low quality video transfers that are circulating out there do a lot to detract from it. The script takes some welcome short cuts in the early stages, wasting no time in getting one half of our dual teenage couples bumped off and leaving the remaining two on the run. The action takes place in a number of dark, desolate places. At least the counselors at Crystal Lake had a few bungalows to take refuge in. The protagonists of "Without Warning" scurry through old shacks, dark open fields, abandoned cottages, and rundown redneck bars. Brrr. The "bloodsucking frisbee" effect is fairly well done, too.

Then there's the matter of the alien. It's very silly looking in full light, but they don't really let you get a good look at it, and it's vaguely creepy the way it's photographed. In one scene, we catch our first real glimpse of it as it's approaching on the other side of a swinging pendant lamp, a la "Psycho". The lamp swings up and momentarily illuminates the weird, grasping figure. Eerie. There's also a great shot at the conclusion where Jack Palance exacts his revenge on the visitor by planting dynamite outside the shack. He grapples with the deranged Landau, until suddenly they both look up, and standing there in the distance is the alien, watching them. Unfortunately, the scene is defused by the campy overacting and dialogue.

We have yet to get a quality home video release for "Without Warning", at least in the United States. It seems to have slipped through the cracks, or is tied up in a matter of studio ownership. My only regret is that I never got to see this one at the drive-in, which is obviously where it was meant to be enjoyed. It meets that lofty goal very nicely.
18 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
They're coming to take you away!
Mikew300115 April 2004
"Without Warning" is a cheap American b-movie horror from 1980 about the terror striking the beautiful American countryside... some people are brutally killed and mutilated by an unknown stranger, and it's the turn of a bunch of teenagers and war veterans to find out that an illegal alien has landed and is hunting for humans for his horrible collection...

Although this movie shows lots of stereotypes and well-known topics from many horror movies from the 50's to the 70's like "It Came From Outer Space", "The Thing", Jack Arnold and Roger Corman cheapos, "Night of the Living Dead", "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre", "Three on a Meathook" and even "Alien" and the new wave of high school slasher movies like "Halloween" and "Friday the 13th", it's an entertaining and thrilling affair.

There are some old movie veterans like Jack Palance, Martin Landau, Ralph Meeker, Cameron Mitchell and Neville Brand involved with Palance and Landau playing the mad alien hunters, and a young David Caruso in his very first movie role. The alien is played by Afro-American actor Kevin Peter Hall who also played the monster in "Predator 2" (1990). Director Greydon Clark never had a big break-through movie, but photographer Dean Cundey had a big time in the nineties with jobs for "Apollo 13", "Casper", "The Flintstones" and the Spielberg hits "Hook" and "Jurassic Park".

All in all it's a nice midnight movie and a small highlight for fans of seventies' paranoia horror films in the wake of the remakes of old alien, monster and disaster film productions. No more, no less.
14 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Steven Spielberg = OWNED
Steve Nyland (Squonkamatic)4 September 2006
This movie RULEZ. Don't listen to the negativists: they seem to be patently refusing to get into the spirit of things, probably turned off by the low budget, utterly ordinary & banal settings, ludicrous plot twists and unhinged performances. But trust me, this is what I do for a living: Anyone with a taste for outrageous, low budget Amercian made regional horror will find a masterpiece here waiting to be unleashed.

The plot is already summed up well by other admirers: Alien being decides to go hunting in the woods of what looks like rural Oklahoma using an elaboration on those flying pancake monsters from the old "Star Trek" series that would smack onto someone's back and drive them insane. These have revolting little teeth, pincers and claws, glom onto people and suck the ooze out of their brains. The Alien himself is right out of Whitley Strieber -- a 7 foot tall gray who's motives are never explained and who's demise is one of the most satisfying conclusions to a "horror movie" I have seen in months. The Alien's flying pancake killings are gory, inventively staged, unpredictable in occurrence and made to create squeals of disgust from viewers, who if they allow themselves to get caught up in the proceedings will feel like they are 10 years old again & watching Creature Feature matinée when they should be outside doing chores. Even without any exploitational nudity, this movie is a guilty pleasure dream come true.

BUT, the thing that entranced me the most about the film was -- amazingly -- the performances, or rather the job of the actors in personifying the community of individuals depicted, all of whom come across as real people in the same way that "The Simpson's" characters also feel real. And what an amazing, once-in-a-lifetime cast!! It's almost worth it just to see all these people involved in the same movie project: Cameron Mitchell at his grizzled, method acting best. Martin Landau immersed in another role that absorbs him whole like a sponge; Landau's Oscar for ED WOOD was no mistake. Ralph Meeker as a bar patron who's bemused indifference to the proceedings is only matched by film legend Neville Brand, who's response to being informed that he is in the middle of an actual alien invasion is to order up another beer. Darby Hinton, Lynn Theel, a pre-fame David Caruso, former child actor hearthrob Christopher S. Nelson, a wacky Larry Storch and frequent monster movie monster Kevin Peter Hall all contribute wonderfully. And the under-seen Tarah Nutter makes a very believable young heroine shoved into the role of saving her planet whether she wants to or not.

But the movie is stolen lock, stock and smoking barrels, by Jack Palance, God bless the man. Usually cast as a scheming, duplicitous villain, here he plays a completely unhinged local hunter who happens upon the invasion and decides to go Mano-a-Mano with the Alien, weathering no less than three close encounters with the flying pancakes & surviving them all by slicing the things off his body with a knife. Anyone else (except maybe Cameron Mitchell) would look ridiculous while cutting off a goo spewing alien pancake monster from their thigh but somehow Palance manages to find a performance in the routine. And again, here is evidence that his Oscar for CITY SLICKERS was no accident either: He is a national treasure who's distinctively scarred face should be added to Mount Rushmore & his story enshrined in a monument.

How else can you put it? WITHOUT WARNING may be the ultimate Jack Palance movie (aside from maybe SHANE and CAN BE DONE AMIGO) and is so utterly perfect in it's execution that I was howling with glee at finally encountering a movie that pushed nearly every geek nerve button in my skull. I love the low budget effects, offbeat performances, totally unremarkable settings, the unpredictable story arc and the climactic ending which got a round of applause from the house. The movie looks like it was filmed in & around the woods down by the drainage ditch about three blocks away, and is proof that you don't need a huge budget, a moron A-list face like Tom Cruise or Brad Pitt or flashy computer generated effects to make a very satisfying little creature feature. All you need is enough imagination, guile & ingenuity to make such happen yourself, though having a Jack Palance and a Martin Landau handy will certainly help.

And that leads me to my one problem with the film: Landau's crazed Vietnam veteran character. It's not that his actions were implausible, it's just that it would have been more fun if he and Palance's equally grizzled hunter character had "teamed up" and pitted their combined mental instabilities, paranoia and capability for violence against this thing. Someone goofed on the screenplay level and missed an opportunity there and as such my rating for this is diminished from the 9 star affair it really should have been. But make no mistake & listen not to the Negative Nellies from Sector Nine: You won't regret investing your 90 minutes into this movie if low budget horror alien invasion and wacko backwoods regional quirk films are your cup of tea. If they aren't go rent the comparatively vacant WAR OF THE WORLDS with Mr. Cruise, who compared to Mr. Palance does not even come across as being convincing at playing a guy who holds a day job & owns a cat. Give me junk like this any day of the week and use your $105 million dollars to feed the continent of Africa next time, Mr. Spielberg: You have been OWNED.

20 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Overacting, name-value stars vs. An evil, bald alien visitor!
capkronos11 May 2003
An alien has landed and it's killing innocent humans! Why, you ask? If you're looking for a feasible explanation like harvesting humans for food or cleaning off this planet for future alien use, forget it. Here the bad guy is just looking for a fun time hunting humans to add to his burgeoning trophy collection. Aiding in his sport are hairy, fanged little parasitic suction-cup Frisbees he flings at victims that drink their blood. The fun and gooey make-up FX are by Greg Cannon.

If the campy, silly plot isn't enough to get you tuned in, keep in mind it costars Jack Palance as a grizzled gas station owner, Cameron Mitchell as a sadistic hunter and an out-of-control Martin Landau as a ranting, raving, insane Vietnam vet! David (NYPD BLUE) Caruso also puts in an early appearance and the alien is played by giant Kevin Peter Hall, who went on the play the monster in the PREDATOR films.

Fun flick!

Score: 6 out of 10
18 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This horror was just the beginning for Kevin Peter Hall!
I remember seeing the movie trailer one time when I was living in Long Island. Though I was way too young to see it. The movie may have been a limited premier in some places, it should have been nationwide later on. It has a great cast. Martin Landau ( Mission: Impossible, Space:1999), Jack Parlance, the biggest movie veteran ever. What more could you want? How about the 7'2" star Kevin Peter Hall who would later play BigFoot in "Harry and The Hendersons", and "Predator" ! In this movie, he plays this unnamed alien hunter who stalks the humans on Earth. His first kills are a father and son who are enjoying the outdoors and it would be the last for them as well. And the Scout leader was an unfortunate victim, leaving the Scouts running for their lives. How does this alien hunter kills so swiftly? By using these hideous discs that come alive when it hits the victim. So when the four friends went out to the lake to have fun, only two of them encounter the horror themselves. Later on, they meet a former Army Sergeant who still think he's in the war, feel there is an invasion. The store owner happens to be the most trusting is the one the two seems feel safe with. The whole ordeal with this movie is to survive the terror of being hunted by an alien hunter. A very good movie, just a bit overlooked, though.
9 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
yes ,truly a drive-in classic
grubstaker5812 May 2006
I ,too saw this at a So-Cal drive-in, twenty odd years back.We got there after the film started and one of my buddies remarked "Hey ,isn't that Larry Storch hanging on that hook in the shed?"....It truly was "Magic Time"...AIP provided some kooky, grisly ,over acted gems back then. Where fine , but seemingly "washed -up" actors Palance, Landau, Brand ,Mitchell could still be on the "Big Screen" and show their chops.I remember mostly dark foggy woods and scared kids , and Hey ,don't go in the house! This "AIP Movie Era" was sadly coming to a close and "Without Warning" is a great example of this late lamented(?)style of cinema.I can still hear Jack Palance screaming "ALIEN!!!!!"................sigh..
17 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Drive In Classic
mcdamsten1 July 2005
Saw this one at the drive-in back in '80 and knew as I was watching it that I was watching a drive-in classic. I seem to recall (in my mind anyway)as 1980 being the last great drive-in horror movie year. I had already seen Humanoids From The Deep that summer and Phantasm there the previous year. I recall that the film had a nice updated 1950's sci-fi feel to it (like Humanoids, a little atmosphere, some laughs (frisbees etc.), hammy performances (Landau Palance) and Larry Storch. The ancient grainy Kingston Trio 'Things Go Better With CocaCola' ad at intermission seemed to fit in with it well. I can't recall what was on the bill with It Came Without Warning; but I recall leaving pretty satisfied. I've looked through many video stores to rent or buy it but can't locate it. Nice to see some other folks fondly remember this one and would like to see it on DVD,too.
13 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Its a slightly campy 80's B horror movie.
richbell6 February 2001
I just got a chance to watch this 'classic' B horror movie last night. I had caught part of it years ago and had been looking for it ever since. Well I won't say that it was worth the wait but it was entertaining. The effects were ok a bit hokey and certainly not up to 2000 standards but it was 1980 and this is not a high budget movie. The movie is about this couple that is being chased around this mountain-wooded area by an Alien hunter (a pure amateur when compared to Predator) who hunts with living disks that he throws at his prey. The disks are the best and worst effect in the movie, best being that when stuck to a person or tree or vehicle they look believable, worst when flying through the air. The couple is helped by a fanatic hunter who is trying to kill the alien and dogged by this not so helpful army veteran. On the whole if you like B-horror films this one is worth seeing, if you can find a copy. But if you are looking for good acting, riveting story, and the like look someplace else. This movie is fun but needs to be taken in context.
8 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Surprisingly creepy...
Gislef9 February 2000
Without Warning is kinda odd, what with it's "big budget" stars and all. It's nicely done, although it looks like a Kolchak/Night Stalker episode.

However, the little frisbee/alien/thingies are extremely creepy, and strike me as very effective considering the low-budget.

The alien "hunter" looks like they got the costume from Outer Limits.

Overall, I'd recommend this movie, despite the hammy performances. Turn the lights down and prepare to be creeped out.
11 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Original "Predator"!!! Jack Palance, Actor.
Joseph P. Ulibas16 August 2005
Without Warning (1980) was an interesting movie. The plot was lifted and remade into a lame movie called Predator. This low budget horror film starred a trio of hard living actors (Jack Palance, Neville Brand and Martin Landau). Times must have been hard on these great character actors, sadly Neville Brand never received the recognition that he deserved as an actor. But LAndau and Palance went on to greater fame years later (the two even co-star in the highly underrated horror film ALONE IN THE DARK).

The movie is about a giant alien who likes to stalk humans. One of his weapons is a bevy of flying blood sucking star fish. After stalking a bunch of daft co-eds (led by David Caruso). A haggard and sun baked hunter (Jack Palance) decides to have some fun and hunt the ultimate prey! What will happen when the Alien tangles with a middle aged dude who doesn't care about anyone or anything? You have to watch WITHOUT WARNING.

Not a great film or a classic by any means. It's a fun party movie that gets better when you watch it with more people. Too bad it's hard to find.
27 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Scary and Dark
carey65678 April 2007
I really enjoyed Without Warning. The film used good Locations and good Horror at the right moments. The cast of Actors in the film where all excellent in their roles. I liked the Alien , it looked stupid in some ways and i guess a bit dated with its costume but funny to watch.

Martin Landau , a favorite actor i like to watch , does standout in this film. He overacts a bit as a disturbed Vietnam Vet, sure. Although I still enjoyed his scenery Chewing Performance. He had kind of aged quickly from his Space 1999 Days a few years earlier and looked very old with his wrinkled face and long, Black , gray hair in the film. I think he's the sort of actor that is very good at screaming, Yelling and having that crazy look about him. Its funny to note how he kind of struggled in his film career in the 70s and early 80s but i still think some of his film roles where interesting and enjoyable to watch. In Without Warning he adds to the fear of the young teenagers that are being stalked in an isolated area with not too many people around with his eccentric personality. Jack Palance was great as the strange looking old Hunter that helps the teenagers. Cameron Mitchell was good trying to play a Tough Father who seems to think he's pretty sure of himself. Mitchell might only have been in the film for 5 minutes or so but his character shows interesting glimpses of a perhaps disturbed man. This is evident when he points his shotgun at his son from a distance in the bush and thinks about blowing him away as he is unhappy that his son is not a tough nut like himself that enjoys hunting and killing and maybe that his son was a Mama's Boy. An Interesting scene Anayway. If you can get a copy of Without Warning its worth a look. Watch it in the dark
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Hey, isn't it cool to become a teenager one more time?!
notgonnaregister-18 September 2006
Indeed, if I watch this movie seriously and for the first time now I would give it a 2 or 3 points. However, what a flashback of 80s! Don't you remember the time when Predator seemed to be the greatest and scariest movie ever? Have you tried watching it lately? I tried and fast-forwarded it through, because I couldn't take it. This movie, however, is a different story. Get some popcorn, turn off the lights, close your eyes and press "play" - welcome back to teenagehood with the blood-sucking star-fishes ready to fly at you from every dark corner. This movie definitely has its own time and age cohort. Just don't expect anything to begin with and you will be surprisingly impressed by the movie.
Hard to forget
metilley18 January 2004
This movie was shown on HBO or SHOWTIME around 1980. It is a "B" level film about an alien (from outer space, where else?) that feeds on human beings. The alien throws these frisbee type things (organic) that attach themselves to humans with long tube-like fangs - sucking the life out of them. Sure, it's corny as hell and it was a low budget film - it shows! The sound effects and music are cut off from scene to scene. But the cast is impressive and, although I have not seen this film in almost 25 years, I would love to see it again. So why isn't it available on VHS or DVD? Who knows. There are a lot of movies out there that I cannot find on video. If you can locate this one, be sure to watch it. It will, literally, keep you on the edge of your seat!
An immensely enjoyable early 80's low-budget sci-fi/horror winner
Woodyanders24 September 2007
A tall, shambling, bubble-headed extraterrestrial big game hunter (the gigantic Kevin Peter Hall warming up for "Predator," which shares a lot of similarities with this flick) uses these cool, toothy, glow-in-the-dark bloodsucking pizza monsters to stalk and kill a number of folks in a rural American country hamlet. Guileless vacationing teenagers Tarah Nutter and Christopher S. Nelson run afoul of both the murderous alien and a motley assortment of crazy local yokels as they endure one long, endless, harrowing night ridden with nonstop peril and danger.

Directed with surprising competence by the usually lacking Greydon Clark, this nifty little number stands tall as a great deal of cracking lean'n'linear drive-in fun: there's a goodly amount of skin-crawling tension, snazzy make-up f/x by future Oscar winner Greg Cannom, a few solid shocks sprinkled throughout, a straightahead snappy pace that rarely lets up, typically adept cinematography by the ever-excellent Dean Cundey, lots of suitably gross'n'gory bloodshed, and a rousing, tinny score by Dan Wyman. The sterling cast of familiar B-feature faces attack their roles with rip-snorting hammy panache: David Caruso in his film debut and succulent blonde babe Lynn ("Humanoids from the Deep") Theel are a couple of clearly doomed libidinous adolescent interlopers, Larry Storch goofs it up to an embarrassing extreme as an ineffectual cub scout troop master, Cameron Mitchell contributes a robustly gung-ho turn as a macho, cigar-smoking, camouflage-wearing "real man" hunter who ruthlessly browbeats his timid "sissy" bookworm son (a sniveling Darby Hinton), a very meek Ralph Meeker and a seriously cranky Neville Brand appear as gloomy drunks at a seedy redneck tavern with perky comedienne Sue Ann Langdon as the resident beerslinger, Jack Palance channels the spirit of William Shatner in full-tilt unrestrained histrionic mode as an outrageously demented gas station attendant, and Martin Landau goes hilariously off-the-rails bug-eyed bonkers as Vietnam veteran Fred Dobbs, an absolute dingbat whose delusional belief about an impending alien invasion finds validation in the extraterrestrial hunter's menacing presence.

The script by Lyn Freeman, Daniel Grodnik (who along with Freeman co-produced the film), Ben Nett and Steve Mathis caps things off perfectly by assuming a pungent, bitterly critical anti-hunting stance: The alien hunter gruesomely turns the tables on folks who either actively engage in hunting (Palance, Landau, Mitchell and his son) or are completely apathetic to the idea of hunting as an acceptable sport (e.g., Caruso and Theel), while the spunky, resourceful Nutter, an extremely vehement and articulate opponent of hunting as a worthy sporting activity, ultimately becomes the heroine of the piece. It's this latter element of misguided, albeit sincere social commentary which lifts this picture to the lofty level of a bona-fide sci-fi/horror trash movie contender.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Top Alien Horror Flick From The 80's
andy-flanagan20 June 2005
Well what can I say about this movie? Well firstly this was the first horror film I ever saw, I was only about 8 years old. The plot is very simple. Basically you have an alien hunter on the loose in the woods, killing people at will with the coolest weapons you could imagine..sorry predator you have been well beaten here pal. They consist of flying, pizza shaped discs which the alien launches at various people. For what reason? Well I guess for trophies to take back with him for his own pleasure. The film begins with a hunter and his son out there in the woods hunting for...well anything really. However, out of the blue they are attacked by these creatures and killed. This opening scene sets the tone for the type of movie you are in for. The main plot now consists of 4 kids who are planning to go for a swim in the lake. They are "Warned" beforehand not to go there by a helpful garage owner (Jack Palance) who obviously knows something about this alien lurking about in the remote woods. Do they listen?....well what do you think? The kids are eventually separated and 2 of them, Greg and Sandy decide to go on a search for the other 2, Tom and Beth. Greg and Sandy find an old shack where they discover.....well i ain't telling you...watch the film. After a horrific ordeal Greg and Sandy are reunited with their old friend Joe Taylor (Jack Palance) and an eccentric Vietnam war veteran, Fred Dobbs (Martin Landau) who both have their own ideas on how to deal with this alien who (I'm afraid to say) is not seen until the final scene in the movie. I reckon its worth the wait. The alien, all 7 ft 4 of him is played by the late Kevin Peter Hall, who went on to play the predator in the late 80's. This film was apparently the inspiration for the making of Predator. Why do I like this movie? Well, the setting is great, the acting is mediocre, and the alien is just lethal...believe me he doesn't take no passengers. Being from the UK this movie ain't easy to get hold of anymore but you American viewers wont have a problem I'm sure. Take my word for it folks, if you love cheesy 80's horror, you won't be disappointed. My only criticism is 4 of the killings are off screen..then again I'm just never satisfied. ENJOY!!!
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Predator 0.1
Seven years before Arnold Schwarzenegger got to say "I'll be back" for the tenth time, this low budget science fiction slasher movie introduced audiences to the idea of alien hunters going after human prey. Granted, intergalactic Frisbees aren't quite as exciting as a semi-invisible Predator, but this movie did come first. Without Warning isn't an action movie, and it owes more to Friday the 13th than Extro, but overall it's an enjoyable ride. Lots of familiar faces, including Martin Landau, Cameron MItchell, Jack Palance, a very young David Caruso, Larry Storch for TV's F-Troop, and last but not least, Kevin Peter Hall as the alien hunter, seven years before he got to kick Arnold's butt in Predator.

If you can forgive the low production value and the cheesy script, then you might want to give Without Warning a look.
9 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
No chance. No help. No escape.
Scott LeBrun23 May 2012
"Without Warning" is pretty good fun for fans of low budget monster movies, and as I'm sure has been pointed out numerous times before, works as a B level predecessor to the slicker and grander "Predator". It even has the same actor playing the murderous alien, the late, great Kevin Peter Hall.

The story is basically the same. This alien comes to Earth to stalk and slaughter human prey, storing the bodies in an isolated shack belonging to the Water Department. Only a select few characters will be able to combat the creature in the end.

Filmed in about three weeks for about $150,000, this feature has enough good atmosphere and genuine creepiness to make it an enjoyable viewing. It boasts makeup & creature work by Greg Cannom and cinematography by Dean Cundey, so there is a degree of professionalism behind the camera. The director is Greydon Clark, a prolific B movie director who also gave us stuff like "Black Shampoo", "Satan's Cheerleaders", "Hi-Riders", "Wacko", and "Joysticks". Unfortunately, his work never led to any mainstream success but a number of his movies are now enjoyed as cult favourites.

An amazing cast of familiar faces is fun to watch: Jack Palance as crusty gas station owner Taylor, Martin Landau as the completely unhinged ex-military man Dobbs (these two were reunited for Jack Sholders' "Alone in the Dark" two years later), Neville Brand and Ralph Meeker as barflies, Larry Storch as a Scoutmaster, Cameron Mitchell as a macho hunter and Darby Hinton as his son, Sue Ane Langdon as bar owner Aggie, and David Caruso in one of his earliest screen roles as one of the four young people who venture into the woods for a good time. Co-stars Tarah Nutter and Lynn Theel look quite nice in their bikinis and are very likable as well.

One of the best things about the movie is that for a while we're led to believe that the ugly little miniature Frisbees flying around are the menace when in fact they're used as a means of incapacitating victims by the alien antagonist, who doesn't get a proper reveal until about a dozen minutes from the end. Even then, we don't get *that* good a look at it. The music by Dan Wyman is effectively spooky. "Without Warning" further benefits from its woodsy setting, and builds considerable suspense up until its explosive finish.

It's a good little flick that is worth a look for sci-fi and horror fans eager to check out the lesser known efforts from decades past.

Seven out of 10.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Before Predator came this alien hunter movie.
Aaron137511 July 2009
This movie came out before "Predator", but features the same type of plot of an alien hunter. I saw it a couple of times as a kid and remember a bit about it, I am still kicking myself for not buying the DVD in Suncoast when I had the chance. From what I remember of the movie it had some entertaining parts to it, but it was hampered by this and that. All the kills are basically the same, and the alien is not revealed till the very end of the film and it is not the best looking creature ever to grace the screen (which probably explains why they did not show it through most of the film). Still, the film had some good actors in it and that brought what was otherwise a "b" rate horror film up a notch. The weapon of choice for this alien hunter are this discus type weapons, the catch being they are kind of alive and they suck blood. When I watched this movie as a kid I thought at first it was just the disc things flying around and killing people so the ending had a bit of a surprise to it. To bad that is ruined for most people by the cover of the DVD and description.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
What can I say about this?
japa29 July 1999
I haven't seen this film for a long time, it must be over 10 years when I saw this. I bet if I'd see it today, this films would suck. But in the 80's when I was a little boy, this felt so exciting. There are lot of films that I'd love to see again, but here in Finland they are hard to get. Luckily, I have had a chance to see few horror films, which I liked as a kid, like Incubus, Superstition, The Legacy. I know, they are not masterpieces, but I missed them and I'm glad I had a chance to see them again. This film is one of those, also New Barbarians, Time walker, The dark, Thor the Conqueror and many other B-films.
Old school Horror.
lujafilm14 November 2007
The great thing about this film is when and how it was made. There is not one computer effect in this film at all. Which is wonderful.Films these days are over done and crammed with so many computer effects that it becomes difficult to watch or even care about the characters. Then there's Without Warning. A great little piece of sci-fi horror film-making at it's best. Shot by Dean Cundey before his huge films like Back to the future. Without Warning teams the talent of Jack Palance and Martin Landau. Friggin great!!! To see these two veterans running through the forest fighting flying alien pancakes is more then a good time. The film captures a time when theaters could show two films. I personally remember watching Without Warning on a double bill with Chuck Norris's The Octagon. PRICELESS. I don't want to give too much away, but if you have the chance to watch Without Warning. DO IT!!! Have an open mind and just have fun with it and you won't be sorry. Be sure to look for a young David Caruso in the flick. They don't make them like this anymore and that's not a good thing.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great little alien flick from the 80's
mrlovecraft318 February 2002
Ok this is not the greatest flick ever made but its not anywhere as bad as some say and its much much better than comparison movies like predator, which stunk to high heaven, and makes this look like a masterpiece. The acting alone in this is miles above predator. Its your basic alien taking over the earth, or at least a small town. It has plenty of suspense and some good effects to boot, as well as gore. If you want something nostalgic thats worth the hunt you could do way worse than Without Warning.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
MUST SEE **** GREAT FLICK!!!!!!
coleb131 March 2003
Greydon Clark's WITHOUT WARNING--This 1980 Horror Starring Jack Palance and Martin Landau is one of the best horror movies of 1980. It was released by FILMWAYS PICTURES. FILMWAYS went on to become ORION PICTURES and for some strange reason this film has never been released on video in the USA. I hope that in time someone like ANCHOR BAY ENTERTAINMENT picks up the rights to this rare film and releases a well over due great looking special edition DVD.
8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Good Horror Flick
jcm287121 April 2003
Man I still remember this one and I was around 9 years old. I believe I saw it on HBO one night and it scared the crap out of me. Yes those blood sucking flying disks were very cool. I do not really remember the alien but those disks still freak me out. I have not seen it since but if I ever do see a copy of it on DVD I will add it to my collection. My kids would love it.
9 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
We Ain't Alone!
sol5 May 2006
***SPOILERS*** Low-budget alien from outer space movie where this moon-headed looking alien has a local community somewhere in middle-America targeted to be hunted down and killed for food and, after the humans are processed and eater,trophies.

Starting off by killing a father and son, Cameron Mitchell & Durby Hinton, who are out camping in the wild than a scoutmaster, Larry Storch,who's team of cub-scouts run for their lives the alien catches a young vacationing couple Tom & Beth, David Caruso & Lynn Theel, all by themselves separated from their two friends Greg & Sandy, Christopher S. Nelson & Tarah Nutter. The alien finishes them off putting away all of it's victims in an abandoned wooden storehouse in the woods. The alien uses these strange looking blood-sucking critters tossing them at it's intended victims like Frisbee's that stick to their bodies sucking the life-blood out of them.

With Greg and Sandy running for their lives and for help at a local bar their looked upon as if their kooks by everyone there but Fred "Sarge" Dobbs, Martin Landou. Sarge not only suffers for a bad case of shell-shock syndrome as a result of his service in the US Army in the Vietnam War but is also suffering from a serious case of paranoia from having encountered the same kind of alien years before and has become known by everyone around as the town lunatic because of it.

With the lights unexpectedly going off at the bar Sarge feels that the aliens are on the attack, using the blackout as their cover, and in a fit of madness shoots the town sheriff as he enters the bar. The local gas station owner Tom Taylor, Jack Palance, who earlier warned both couples not to go down by the lake where the alien was also knows that what Greg & Sandy are saying is true but is a cool and calculating hunter who's in control of his mental faculties, unlike Sarge. Taylor knows what the alien is up to and plans to beat it at it's own game by him being the hunter not, like all the alien's victims, the hunted.

The movie "Without Warning" does hold an unusual amount of tension for a low-budget horror film never letting it's audience get as much as a breather as it slowly moves to it's final confrontation between man and alien in the dark and creepy forest outside of town.

Sarge who's mind had snapped after he shot the sheriff starts to get these wild fears about the aliens taking over the bodies off the towns people. It's then when he almost, in his unstable mental state, prevents Taylor from finally killing the alien with the help of Sandy ,Greg was later killed by one of the Frisbee's, as he dynamited it's storehouse and waited for the alien to show up and enter it to blast it to bits.

With Sarge blowing Taylor's plan by stupidly attacking, and thus alerting, the alien and getting killed for his actions Taylor himself is hit by a number of deadly alien Frisbee's. Taylor knowing that he doesn't have long to live maneuvers, by using himself as a decoy, the alien into the storehouse where Sandy, at a safe distance, set off the dynamite blowing both Taylor and the alien to pieces.

One of the better alien from space movies of the late 1970's and 1980's that does the most with it's very meager budget to come across far better then the more expensive and better advertised like-wise films released back in those days after the success of the 1979 alien from space blockbuster "Alien".
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this