IMDb > Underground Aces (1981) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Underground Aces More at IMDbPro »

A real curio!

Author: (cfc_can@yahoo.com) from Toronto, Ontario
4 July 2002

This was a minor comedy that I'm pretty sure never made it to theatres. It is basically a Car Wash style comedy only with parking valets instead. It may have sat on the shelf for awhile as the opening theme song is very mid-70s ish. Most of the plot deals with the zany PG and PG-13 slapstick shenanigans of the guys and an obligatory romantic subplot involving a shiek masquerading as one of the valets in an attempt to win over a girl. There's plenty of knockabout humor and stunts. What really makes this film a curio is the cast: Dirk Benedict (The A-Team) Melanie Griffith (who would be a major movie star in a few years) Robert Hegyes (Welcome Back Kotter) Frank Gorshin (the Riddler) Michael Winslow (Police Academy,yes he does get to do his sound effects in this movie as well) and TK Carter (Punky Brewster) It's fascinating to see all of these actors together in one movie, mind you, Gorshin has an awful role. Another odd thing is that the actor playing the shiek, who is far less known than the other cast members, seems to get more screen time than them. The film as a whole isn't much and is fairly predictable. Oddly, the film doesn't turn up very often on TV and few seem to remember it, or even know of it's existence. Though no comedy classic, Underground Aces deserves a better fate.

I saw it!

Author: Patrick from United States
15 May 2006

"Underground Aces" was released to movie theaters...I saw it as a youngster. Remember, this was back in the day, as cfc_can mentioned, of movies like "Car Wash"...which were a dime a dozen. Comedy ruled the day. I agree, though, that this film can be a guilty pleasure, just like "The Gumball Rally." (Another obscure 1976 film.) I went to see "Underground Aces" because I loved "Battlestar Galactica." Worth noting is "Underground Aces" director Robert Butler, who cut his teeth on many a Disney film and television show. Another star of note (and a staple of television) in an early film role (after her appearance in "1941") is Audrey Landers.