IMDb > Smokey and the Bandit II (1980) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Smokey and the Bandit II

Smokey and the Bandit II More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Highly Anticipated and Extremely Disappointing Sequel.

Author: gerard-21 from United States
6 April 2010

The original Smokey and the Bandit was a monster of a film, finishing behind only Star Wars at the Box Office in 1977. It was one of the last movies seen by Elvis, who arranged a private viewing due to it's popularity. I myself, barely a teenager, saw it several times in the theater.

Now, when a sequel was announced, we all just knew it would pick up where the first one left off and follow the gang's exploits up to Boston and back to Georgia in 48 hours with clam chowder for the Enoses. But no, the producers and writers chose to create an entirely new exploit, which is basically a rehash of the route traveled in the first, but going in the other direction and pretty much at the speed limit! First off, the Enoses could have hired anyone for a lot less money, as obviously time was not of the essence. Afterall, after they accept the job, considerable time is spent getting the Bandit back into shape! Or did the writers expect us to believe it only took one day? They may have, considering they also threw in a scene where Burt, during his rehab outruns a racehorse. And what were they thinking having Carrie marrying Junior again? Sheriff Justice said at the end of the first he wasn't giving up his pursuit of Bandit, so he didn't need this motivation, again.

So, obviously, instead of a good ole' boy movie like the first, we have a cartoon with humans! See Jackie Gleason utter sombitch 6 dozen times! Hear Dom Deluise spout nonsensical Italian phrases! Watch truckers run over police cruisers with no regards to consequences (like causing lawman's death)! Become aghast at Jerry Reed turning into a tough guy life coach. Experience Burt Reynolds trying to show he has a heart! Look at Sally Field's expression of disdain for her agent! And don't miss the ending blooper reel!

This was the beginning of the end for Burt as he started becoming a caricature of himself. People began to view his movies as just an excuse for Burt and his buddies to get together and party while not having to bother themselves with any strenuous acting.

Not that great

Author: J from Iowa
21 July 2004

As much as I liked the first movie, I find that I don't really like the second film. While the film had it's moments, especially with Jackie Gleason as Buford T. Justice, there really wasn't much to redeem this film.

Everything about the film seemed rather contrived, especially the comedy. The comedy seemed to be forced most of the time.

While I can watch the first film over and over and it never seems to get old for me, the second film wore out its welcome almost right away. I don't know, but maybe if they hadn't tried so hard with the second film to measure up to the first film it would have been better.

It needed Olivier, it Got Kramden

Author: douglas lally from United States
25 May 2005

OK, I'm kidding. Hey, listen, this film is no strain to the synapses. It's another Hal Needham carwreck fest wrapped up in a really dumb plot that at times tries too hard. However, I find an odd entertainment value in this genus of southern cheese. An aging professional highway show-off, an even more annuated hick sheriff in hot pursuit, an oddly swift and resilient Trans Am, a very talented yet dumbed down leggy sidekick, a country singer turned epitomal southern truck driver, Dom Deluise, and an elephant. Add plenty of incompetent law enforcement officers and marlboro reds and you have the makings of one fine redneck cross-country chase movie. I don't know why but I actually enjoyed this. It's really about the stunts I think and when it comes to Hal Needham you never can have too many car crashes. In the spirit of Cannonball Run and the Dukes of Hazzard there is an odd appeal in watching good IL boys tear up backroads to the tune of Hank Williams and police sirens. And of course there's always a way out leaving a pile of police cruisers in the dust behind. It's an action flick and as such you shouldn't expect it to be anything other than what it is; it's just fun to watch. You may notice it does have some very talented actors so it begs the "what were you thinking doing this film?" question. Perhaps. But on face value it's all about the car chase. And who doesn't love a good car chase?

Narcissism is hardly funny...

Author: moonspinner55 from las vegas, nv
1 January 2008

Fairly dreadful sequel to "Smokey and the Bandit" arrived some three years later, and most of the principal players look a bit sheepish about the entire enterprise--none more so than Sally Field as "Frog", the Bandit's main squeeze. In the film (and in the outtakes played at the end), Field seems edgy and defensive, which probably means she got a good look at this screenplay and felt trapped (an understandable reaction, but deadly in a comedy). Written by Jerry Belson and Brock Yates from a treatment by Michael Kane, the movie immediately gets off on the wrong foot with Field once again running out on a wedding (to Sheriff Justice's son for the second time). Seems she can't reach the Bandit, whose inflated ego and sense of self-importance has alienated all his friends. Moody, unhappy Burt Reynolds only perks up in his scenes with Dom DeLuise, but for the most part limps through these half-hearted proceedings like a celebrity on the downhill slide. Hal Needham's direction isn't any help (he's at the mercy of the woebegone script), but there is an elephant around for the occasional sight-gag--and Jackie Gleason in three roles. * from ****

One Truck Drivers' Opinion

Author: ehrldawg from illinois
7 May 2012

The second of a film series of three,this time our heros must take an elephant from Florida to Texas.

This is the worst of the three. even though the final round up was kinda cool. Why would the snowman sleep on the ground at a rest stop,when he has a very comfortable bunk in the truck? The Bandit is a major prick in this one. If Don Williams sang a song to my woman and myself,I wouldn't disrespect the man by walking out in the middle of the song. O well, I guess even the best of us has to have a bad day. It was cool to see Ben Walton make a cameo appearance.

Jerry Reed drives the GMC 18 wheeler!

This is the second of three times Jerry Reed drives a truck in this series.

Jerry Reed was a permanent AA list actor.

There are a couple unknown actors driving indeterminable trucks during the round up.

These unknown actors were also permanent A list actors.

Sally Fields is hot!!!

erldwgstruckermovies.com

The Bandit and Snowman at It again

Author: cry_wolf23 from United States
5 December 2010

well the bandit and snowman are back and this time they have one hell of a big adventure. The bandit and frog have split and the bandit has became a overweight drunk.the burdette's need a crate picked up in Miami so they enlist the help of snowman who has to get bandit's ass back on track with the help of frog of course.After much exercise (including a foot race with a bunch of horses)the bandit is ready for action once again.

After Breaking into the warehouse they find that the crate is huge and what inside is huge as well,a elephant. after some time on the road and a stop for gas snowman thinks the elephant is sick,and as luck would have it a ambulance has just pulled in.so they enlist the help of the doctor inside Played By Funny man Dom Deluise and the doc soon determines the elephant is pregnant.

What is the bandit to due stay on course and risk the elephants life or worry about something other than money for once?

Also look for a lot of cameos in this one.mel Tillis(bless his heart he sing like a bird but has a bad stuttering problem),terry bradshaw,mean joe green and don williams.

Also jackie gleason is back as buford t. justice still trying to catch the bandit and look for a very funny scene where jounir can't get his zipper zipped.jackie also takes on 3 different roles in this one

This movie could be the best sequel in the franchise so give it a watch i give it a 8 out of 10 R.I.P Jackie Gleason and Jerry Reed(The Snowman)

Leftovers from Cannonball Run

Author: tac2502 from Pennsylvania
23 April 2004

It's fairly obvious that Smokey and the Bandit II was filmed directly before (or during) the making of Canonnonball Run. Obviously they had a lot of well-known faces from the CR movie, and they had them stick around for some S&tB shots, then built a story around them as best they could. If you look at each of the cameos, you see they have no tie to the storyline, all they have in common is Reynolds and Gleason. If you want to see a much better Burt Reynolds / Dom Delouis movie, rent CR (it's hokey too, but not quite as bad as this).

Movies like this get made all the time, where a very basic plot line is sketched out, and then the rest is filled in as the writers on the set come up with it. When good ideas get scarce, they try to fill the gaps with gags on a common theme. But like any good joke, it's only funny when it is at least semi-plausible. That's what made the original Smokey and the Bandit so much fun. But S&tB II is just TOO unbelievable to be funny any more. It might appeal to 12 year olds, but the original audience of 16-25 year olds just don't find them funny.

All the negativeness of the above aside, S&tB II is still better than part III. I didn't think it could get worse, but...

Blown opportunity

Author: jrs-8 from Chicago
16 October 1999

"Smokey and the Bandit II" is a blown opportunity. I am not a big fan of sequels because they generally just repeat the same formula of the original. Here is no exception. But what bothers me is of ALL the ideas they could use they pick transporting an elephant? And why make the Bandit down on his luck? We want to see him on top of the world in the spoils of wealth from the first film. But all we get to see are he and Sally Field fighting. Jackie Gleason is good but the resurrection of some of his classic characters though nice, is totally unnecessary to the film. A big disappointment.

More of the same sequel to an average film.

Author: Paul Andrews (poolandrews@hotmail.com) from UK
23 February 2010

Smokey and the Bandit II starts as father & son Big Enos (Pat McCormick) & Little Enos Burdette (Paul Williams) see an opportunity to legitimise their canditateship for Governor of Texas but delivering a special crate from Miami & take it to Texas in order to impress the current Governor (John Anderson). Sounds easy & Bi & Little Enos decide to hire the Bandit (Burt Reynolds) to make the run, they agree to pay $400,000 for delivery of the crate which the Bandit can't turn down since he has become a drunk has been since his Coors beer run. Again teaming up with the Snowman (Jerry Reed) & Carrie (Sally Field) they find out that the crate contains a pregnant Elephant 7 the run won't be as easy as they first thought as Sheriff Buford T. Justice (Jackie Gleason) is on their tail all the way in pursuit...

Also known under the title Smokey and the Bandit Ride Again here in the UK this was directed by Hal Needham this is your pretty average more of the same sequel to the original hit Smokey and the Bandit (1977) which I didn't like that much anyway, I can't say Smokey and the Bandit II was any better but I can't say it was any worse either. Like a lot of sequels that try to leech of the original's success Smokey and the Bandit reunites all the main character's including the Bandit, Snowman, Carrie & Sheriff Buford T. Justice along with Big & Little Enos who again hire the Bandit for some ridiculous run across states, instead of beer like the original this time around it gets even sillier with a pregnant Elephant that develops a crush on the Bandit, yeah that's the level of sophistication in this sequel. The comedy & gags are just lame with many being direct rip-offs of the original especially a lot of Sheriff Justice's lines, I really don't think I laughed once during this & if the film wasn't silly enough there's this annoying Italian doctor. The script tires to have a little more humanity this time around with it wanting us to feel sorry for the animal & the on-going more pronounced romance between the Bandit & Carrie but it's all lost in a horrible plot that is just too ridiculous for words & really unfunny comedy. At almost 100 minutes it goes on for too long as well, the pace is average with not that much actually happening & only the big showdown between the police & truckers in the desert at the end is worth watching this for. The character of the Bandit is also significantly different here, here he's a drunk burnt out depressed has been unlike the first & it's hard to warm to him or want him to succeed.

A lot of the time is spent with the Elephant & it's problems rather than the driving aspect, in fact the cars seem almost secondary here until the end & that desert pile up which even then is silly & hardly makes the thing worth watching. A roller-coaster is destroyed in an OK scene but otherwise this is quite short on action. Again Sheriff Justice swears quite a lot & again the dubbed TV versions are apparently quite funny. Better made than the original the coverage of the stunts is better but still rather static. Country and Western singer Don Williams & his band make a cameo, I still thought the Country and Western soundtrack was awful though & really can't stand the stuff.

Filmed mostly in Florida this has good production values as I am sure the budget was bigger than the original's but that didn't help make this any good, did it? The acting is OK< Reynolds is in cruise control, Sally Field still looks nice, Jackie Gleason is still over the top while Dom DeLuise is simply awful.

Smokey and the Bandit II is much more of the same really only sillier & even less funnier than the original, the final chase in the desert is alright & it passes the time if you can see it on telly for free I suppose but otherwise there's not much here to enjoy.

Just in case you missed the sign...

Author: Dimarc from New York, NY
13 January 2007

All in all, a childishly fun revisiting of the characters and story. It'll help if you're already a big fan of cowboys, big trucks, and car jumps, and, of course, the first film.

A lot of drama went on behind the scenes during the shooting, and at times can be glimpsed on the screen, including Sally's and Burt's strained relationship, Jackie Gleason's health, and Hal Needham's direction.

The sign in front of the church wonderfully demonstrates the level of humor throughout this movie:

"Texarkana Reformed, United, Evangelical, Fundamental Church Of God, The Twelve Apostles And Assorted Saints"

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]