IMDb > Shogun Assassin (1980) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Shogun Assassin

Shogun Assassin More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 9: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

Send Your Ninjas, I'll Kill Them All!!!!!!

Author: kdruhm (kdruhm@aol.com) from New York
15 February 2002

And so he does!! This is a bizarre and amazing cult classic of a samurai film that is apparently pieced together from two longer films in the "Lone Wolf and Cub" Series. From my point of view the viewer would never know this was a composite film and it stands alone as an amazing and strangely hypnotic piece of violent film history. I first viewed this epic while in college and did not really know what to expect. I thought I was in for a simple and bloody martial arts flick. Well, it was bloody as all hell but this is more of an epic art film than something on Saturday kung fu theater. It is hard to describe what makes this movie different but its combination of great acting, direction, pace, dialogue and score set this film far above any other martial arts film I have ever watched. In addition, this is the only film that seemed to portray samurai sword fights as I always envisioned them, very quick and very bloody with little or no fencing. The swordfighting in this film is unreal and stunning. I would recommend this to fans of action but I would also recommend this odd film to serious film fans, there is something going on here you might not expect. In conclusion I just want to say, "they will all pay....WITH RIVERS OF BLOOD!!!"

Totally Cult

Author: SURFiNG (surfing@riccardobocci.com) from Rome, Italy
21 December 2001

Lonewolf (Tomisaburo Wakayama, sadly dead by an heart attack in 1992, at the age of 53) reminds me those old fashioned films that care about the "image" instead of blazing hollywoodians special effects. The story is really deep, focusing on awesome scenarios from the old japan, full of "epical" dialogues between the characters. I would like to write a lot of good things about this cult movie, but it's better (and faster) if i talk about some lacunae, like a not perfect timing of the plot and the (imho) not that good end , seems like the director cut off a final part. Anyways i gave the maximum vote just for the perfect MIX of action/philosophy it got, an all-round film for everyone (adult at least).. It really deserved it

possibly the best film ever

Author: twelveblades from Leamington Spa, England
21 October 2001

I cannot really explain just how good this film is. Dark and atmospheric from beginning to end, a kung fu film this aint. The fighting is straight to the point, limbs are severed, heads are split in two and blood sprays like a sprinkler system from every wound. The dubbing and music are perfect and the narration from the kid gives this a new edge from other samurai movies. I have the whole Baby Cart series and belive me it is a must for anyone who likes this film. If you dont like this film...see a doctor.

amazing in almost every way

Author: motown_23 (jewbo23@aol.com) from Norfolk, England
17 October 2001

This film impressed me there were so many good things about it. i love the way its narrated by the kid. lone wolf is just really cool. the cinematography is some of the best i have ever seen. the locations were also amazing. the fights looked very real and were done brilliantly. the 3 guys lone was payed to kill were good and reminded me of the ones from big trouble in little china. the effects were great too. i haven't seen so much blood in a film since braindead. there are some great gore scenes like a guys head being chopped in half and decapitations. on the whole this is one of the best films i have ever seen.

One of the best Samurai movie's ever made.

Author: Jonathan Horner from Stockton, England
28 September 2001

Shogun Assassin is one of the best Samurai movie's I've ever seen, Shogun Assassin is up there with the like's of legendary Samurai movie's such as "Sanjuro" and "Yojimbo", which where directed by the lengedary Akira Kurosawa.

Shogun Assassin is a great movie, but also very violent, sometime's the amount of blood is slightly un-nerving but very realistic all the same.

A must see for any martial art's fan, if you can stand the amount of blood.

The Finest Samurai Flick Ever!!!

Author: titus7_ from Malaysia
18 July 2001

This movie has no pretences. It delivers everything you'd ever want in an action flick,gore,violence,fight scenes and a little sex to.The little boy is a hoot.

Incredible movie

Author: Fizel Ombreslam (fizel@hotmail.com) from Québec, Canada
20 October 2000

A true martial art movie, with blood, amputated limbs, good katana fighting and incredible action.

This movie is the first real samurai movie I ever seen, its a MUST!

He Slices, He Dices, let the blood fly!

Author: y2mckay from Bay Area, CA
27 June 2000

I love samurai films. But my one big problem is that they often don't have enough action. It's usually a bunch of dudes standing around talking for two hours, until they finally have a big sword fight at the end (kind of like Phantom Menace). Also, the fights are often pretty bloodless, which takes some of the fun out of it. But with this movie, you won't have to wait two hours for the payoff, and it doesn't pull any punches on the blood, either. Swords will flash and blood will spurt every ten minutes or so.

A great samurai film with outstanding sword fights

Author: Movieman-157 from Columbus, OH
20 July 1999

This film has some of the best sword fights ever shot on film. The plot has Lone Wolf (Tomisaburo Wakayama) travelling the countryside, pushing his son, Daigero, ahead of him in a baby cart. The only time he stops is to battle the seemingly infinite number of ninja the Shogun sends out to kill him. The film has blood spurting up every five seconds and is not meant to be realistic. It's more a bloody dance. Bodies take seconds to fall over, defeated swordsmen spurt blood up in the year for seconds before falling over, and blood spurts up in front of (and sometimes onto) the camera. It's a great film for fans of action films. This extremely violent, yet aesthetic film was directed originally by Kenji Misumi.

The Shogun Assassin saga

Author: Yaser Sehota (yasars@ifi.uio.no) from Oslo Norway
7 February 1999

Shogun Assassin is one of the greatest samurai/swords movies ever made. Not only does it deliver a full grown action movie, it also shows more comlex moral situations. Among those there is a powerful scene where the son of the hero has to choose between sword or ball, life or death..... The movie-line is about an ex-samurai (ronin) who now makes his living as a hired assassin, but he is constantly followed by the shoguns assassins. Watch out for the Lords of death.

For a person without any movie background this movie will quickly become an endless mass of violence, it may even seem a bit pathetic. But no. This movie is well known by movie critics all over the world as one of the greatest movies ever! This movie should be seen not watched.

Page 7 of 9: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]