IMDb > On a volé la cuisse de Jupiter (1980) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

funny, nice scenery and music

Author: vt_100ca@yahoo.com from Canada
25 May 2005

I have first seen this movie when I was a kid and had a good time watching it. Now that I see it again 15 years later I realize it hasn't lost anything of its original charm.

The dialogue is funny, witty and provides most of the humor of the film (sort of reminds me of 'You've got mail'). Being able to understand the original French soundtrack is a plus, cause a lot gets lost in the translation.

I also like the movie since it gives a funny overview of Greek life/politics quite unknown to many people who have visited the country as casual tourists.

If you want to see a funny movie without exploding cars, horror scenes and the like I highly recommend it.

Sweet screwball comedy filled with sunshine and stolen Greek treasures

Author: sos12 from Los Angeles, California
5 February 2007

You'd have to be pretty hard-hearted not to fall for this one: Philippe Noiret and Annie Girardot (reprising their roles from the earlier DEAR INSPECTOR) are a middle-aged French classics professor and his no-nonsense police inspector wife, trying to celebrate their honeymoon in Greece ... and instead winding up chasing the marble hindquarters of a priceless 2,500 year old statue. De Broca (best known for KING OF HEARTS) does an admirable job of updating the timeless Cary Grant/Katharine Hepburn screwball formula from the 1930's -- but a better comparison might be something like SILVER STREAK with its mixture of offbeat leads, winsome romance and faux-Hitchcockian thrills. The film's real charm is in its throwaway moments -- at one point the getaway car stops so that someone can mail postcards to the folks back home -- and the marvelous rapport between Noiret and Girardot, playing two decidedly mature romantic leads who aren't too mature for a role in the hay with a crackling fire and the ancient Greek hills in the background. A lovely little movie: Hollywood in style but French in spirit, and made in Greece.

Very funny comedy

Author: Carlo_S from Sweden
13 September 2007

Annie Girardot and Philippe Noiret are at their best, playing a strange couple: she is a police officer and he is an archaeologist. The other couple is equally strange: he is an archaeologist, while she is a "bimbo". The common adventure that they share help the two couples to understand that their relation still works.

I saw this movie as a child, and I can still remember it. I won't mind seeing it again. I like it, as it is both funny and relaxing. Besides, it has wonderful landscapes and seascapes from Greece. Last but not least: beautiful Greek music. It is like going on a 90-minute holiday to Greece. I would go for it again.

Rest in peace...

Author: Eric Sayettat (sayettat@hotmail.com) from Auckland, New Zealand
4 July 2000

Let's face it this was an utterly stupid movie... yet it sounded promising with Annie Girardot, Philippe Noiret and Michel Audiard as the dialogues writer.

The plot is absurd and only the character of the female inspector gives some stamina to the movie.

By watching that one realizes that crap does not only come out of Hollywood. No wonder the "Cuisse de Jupiter" is now left for dead.

dumb as hell

Author: msultan
16 July 2003

I'm guessing that making this movie was a lot of fun, free trip to Greece and all, but the result is a typical genre of early Eighties French comedy that had previously put me off French cinema for over 10 years. Maybe we ought to give Broca credit for trying to deal with a serious topic (the black market of archeological antiquities) but the mixture of satire, slapstick, romance and police investigation is a total failure. Nice music and scenery though.