The Man That Corrupted Hadleyburg (TV) More at IMDbPro »

A man takes revenge on a city that high-hatted him by showing their liability to corruption.

Author: johnjhafs from United States
30 June 2005

I found the other comments far too negative. The film is--like Mr. Twain--humorous and makes a good point to those who think they are above corruption. It also makes the point that it is wise to do people a kindness whenever possible for you never know when you will need kindness yourself. The film was obviously not made on a big budget and at times drags a bit--not a great film but a good one and well worth seeing. Robert Preston is fun to watch and Fred Gwynne, for those who only know him from CAR 54 WHERE ARE YOU and THE Munsters, is surprisingly gentle as the minister who was put out of his church and who must judge who gets the gold.

"Lead Us Into Temptation"

Author: theowinthrop from United States
29 April 2006

This was the first of a series of films on Channel 13 or Public Television that ran from 1980 to about 1984 based on the works (especially the less known works) of Samuel Clemens / "Mark Twain". On the whole the series was quite good, especially when handling such less well known tales as "The Private History of A Campaign That Failed" (with "The War Prayer" tacked on), and "Pudd'nhead Wilson". The version of "The Innocence Abroad" was entertaining, and worth watching, but not as good as the original story was.

Because this was the first of the series it was short (only about forty minutes long), and it did not get positive reaction from the critics. It did have some well known performers in it, such as Robert Preston (as the prankster who sets up Hadleyburg for it's massive pratfall), and Fred Gwynn (as the local minister, who tries to save the town's pride but fails). Mary Sternhagen appeared as one of the townspeople who get entangled in the plot.

"Hadleyburg" was written in 1894, and is a fairly long short story. It is a large town in New England with a reputation for high morality and religiosity. Of course, Twain is aware that if you are known for these things you are likely not to have real morality and religious feelings after awhile, but are more likely to be smug, self-satisfied, and hypocritical. Preston's character, when in serious need, was in Hadleyburg and found nobody willing to assist or even give him the time of day. Some years have passed, and now he is rich, but burning to teach the town a lesson. He sets up an elaborate trick about a legacy left with the town's authorities for the person who once gave the legatee assistance. Then he arranges for anonymous letters to be sent to the leading members of the town's church, each letter explaining that the recipient was the man responsible for the act of generosity (and so the person who is meant to get the legacy). On a particular Sunday the Minister is to reveal who the winner of the legacy is, and so each of the town leaders send in their "proof" of being the person who did the act of generosity. And the high point of the comedy is when the hapless Minister is forced to read the "proofs" one after another after another, disgracing all the leading families of Hadleyburg.

If the story was as simple as that it would have been forgotten years ago. Twain is aware that people are human, and concentrates on the Wilson family. An elderly couple, they are among the leading families because of their family tree roots in the New England town. But unlike the other 19 families, the Wilson are an elderly, childless couple, and they are poor. They do send in the "proofs" the trickster sends to them, but they really feel conscience stricken (unlike the others) because they realize they are lying. The Wilsons turn the tale into a tragic one in the end.

The motto of Hadleyburg is the smug, "Lead Us Not Into Temptation" at the start of the story. At the end, after the results of the stranger's joke works itself out, the town changes it's name and the motto becomes what I wrote in the "Summary" line.

Preston was made to look like Twain in the television movie. From what I recall he and the cast gave good performances. Perhaps not the best of this series, but it was the first one and so they could only (hopefully) improve after awhile).

Testing the Town

Author: bkoganbing from Buffalo, New York
29 February 2012

You have to wonder just what kind of dirt was done to Robert Preston or maybe to Mark Twain in real life as Samuel Langhorne Clemens for him to set up such a joke as a test of human nature on the good citizens of Hadleyburg. Twain's thesis is that if one is never really tempted it's real easy to be virtuous and to be smug about it.

Preston sends 19 letters to different prominent citizens of Hadleyburg saying that their kindness to him plus a gift of $20.00 at a time he needed it with some advice turned his life around and in gratitude he was bestowing a sack containing $40,000.00 on some lucky citizen. Of course no one knows about the others and letters come to the Reverend Fred Gwynne as per instruction where he will open the bag and see if that piece of wisdom is written inside a note with the money.

Of course the lure of $40,000.00 in turn of the last century monetary value is too much, that would be maybe $200,000.00 today. Temptation brings out the worst in people, no need to go into details.

Nicely produced work of a beloved Mark Twain classic.

As entertaining as the book

Author: oldtiger1965 from United States
13 August 2006

I enjoyed this short film, largely because of the twist. It is based on a "long premise", that such a town full of virtue might exist anywhere in the U.S., but that virtue is easily compromised by greed.

Like Twain's story it is an attack to the central core of our belief that we are above the rest, that we might be on a higher moral ground than the rest of the world.

I first saw this movie while I was in high school, and I found the story to be entertaining, the acting suitable, with Robert Preston playing his role with his usual charm and good humor.

I would consider this a good production of a Twain classic.

an unfortunate waste of 37 minutes of my life

Author: rob7footsharon from ASU
21 November 2002

yes, it's true...my college professor forced me to watch this horrendous film. i thought that with the endorcement of henry fonda this film might have some worth, but no. it is a shallow, poorly acted, bore of mark twain's short story. I hated it. I'm sure you will hate it as well.