IMDb > The Island (1980) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 4 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

* *1/2 out of 4

Author: Bleeding-Skull from Review Land
27 April 2008

Michael Caine plays a New York reporter who smells a story when he becomes aware of a particular area of the Caribbean where hundreds of boats and passengers disappear. In a particularly contrived and illogical plot twist, he winds up taking along his young son when he takes off for Florida to investigate. Naturally this places both him and his son in danger when they head off to the Caribbean and run smack dab into the culprits: a band of inbred, marauding pirates who have descended from the Buccaneers of Hispaniola.

Good premise around the first half, then it gets silly around the second half, but doesn't get much better until the third half. One of Universal's best films. Good camp cast too.

Unrated for Extreme Graphic Violence, Profanity and Brief Nudity.

A fine, fine little nugget of gold

Author: Calder D. Holbrook from Chicago
4 March 2002

I take risks at the video store regularly, and sometimes the reward is great. When I saw a tattooed fist in the ocean clutching a knife, I just had to try. And unlike the Rambo ripoff I also picked, The Island was a pleasant surprise. Michael Caine did not mail it in, strangely enough. Loads of piratey action and gore complete with a naked wench push Cutthroat Island aside as the all-time greatest pirate movie with "Island" in the title.

Too often, a cool box fails to translate to a cool movie, but this one delivered with a vengeance. I can't say enough good stuff about The Island. If you see it, get it. Pirates aplenty!

What could had been a great adventure

Author: martin_humble from Stockholm, Sweden
3 August 2001

In this 1980 adventure we follow Michael Caine as reporter Blair Maynard searching for the answer of the missing boats in the Bermuda triangle. With him he has his son, Justin, who he plans to take to Disneyworld. Blair has to get on with his work before he can spend time with his son, what was planned to be a day trip to an Island is the beginning of the adventure. A plain carrying Blair and his son crash-lands on an island and they are forced to stay a couple of days. One day they rent a boat and goes on a fishingtrip but gets kidnaped by pirates who have survived from the 1600 century.

This could have been a a great adventure for children but the movie is trying to reach out for adults´. We see closeups of killings and massacres. Michael Caine acts somewhat reserved and the film does not get out of bad manuscript, acting and direction. Only recommended for adults with a sense of humour and the child within.

Pirates Rule...

Author: Tsquare55 from United States
24 December 2006

This movie should already be out on DVD, capitalizing on the pirate franchise and available for the home theater... The story line is solid and the plot line just twisted enough. In this day of the GPS and satellite imaging it would be a tough premise, but having spent time in the Caribbean and sailing the waters it not that big a stretch that some one could have pulled off this type of social engineering. Think "Lord of the Flies" as grown up pirates. It has been so long since I have seen this I cannot comment on the production value of the film, but I still carry several scenes in my head all these years later, and the richness of the scenes are great, at least on the far reaches of My Space.

Great plot and human interest. Believable action.

Author: bizzy-9 from B.C. Canada
10 December 2006

I read one guys commentary that totally shot this movie down. He said that it wasn't only one of Caines worst movies, it was one of the worst movies ever made. I absolutely disagree.

This movie shows great human interest in many ways. It's far more human than most recent movies I've seen.

There's the arch villain that protects the bad guys out of a strangely noble love for the lost and dying breed that they represent. There's the tension between the main character and his estranged wife. Her selfishness actually affects the plot greatly even though she's only involved in the first 10 minutes of the movie. They show the frail loyalty of the heroes' son overpowered by his desperate will to survive and also his innately human ability to assume a totally new identity to survive. A fathers undying love is tested against the murderous disloyalty of his son. We see a grieving widows rage screaming "would him, would him!!" against her husbands killer (Caine). After facing pirate law, her rage turns to pragmatism.

Throughout the movie a desperate stealth and cunning make short work of privilege and modern firepower.

Yes, there are some stupid scenes that should have been done better, but overall the movie is good. Very dramatic. As much realism as could be expected from an action movie.

I class this flick beside Beside the James Bond series, the Star Wars series, Lord of the rings, and AI. I class it beside them because although they are more detailed, when I consider the budget constraints and special effects of the era, the plot and acting combine to create a believable, exciting movie that unlike most movies doesn't insult my intelligence too badly. Watch it.

Yea, but I still like this movie.

Author: gary-behun from United States
18 November 2006

Yea, I know "The Island" is a hokey movie but I still like it as one of my favorites if for nothing more than it looks at the subject of brainwashing and I get to watch M. Caine act. It actually has a cast of quite a few decent actors. The premise of a band of cut-throat pirates is not that far fetched. Even if you must overlook the idea that they are descendants of pirates long ago. Maybe Benchley's original story is better. Never read it. Come on, don't be so hard on it. There's a lot worse stinkers out there and even worse actors. e.g.,look at all the rapper/wannabe actors today. They are too boring and embarrassing to watch. Wish "The Island" will be released someday on DVD.

Different, chilling, a must see

Author: ( from United States
17 July 2005

I remember seeing this movie years ago, found it chilling. Was believable movie, not a lot of science fiction, which makes it more chilling to watch. In other words, could of actually happened. Good story, theme, you will want to watch to the very end. this is more or less an unknown movie that others should see who not only like drama, but the more realistic, the better. Gruesome. I don't care for gore and science fiction. This is drama, adventure, thriller. I got excited to see a new movie is going to be released, also called The Island. Not the same story, not the same theme. Big disappointment its not the same, because this movie could be awesome if done with 2005 effects. 1980 movie was rated R, Michael Caine excellent actor. Very good in his role, (as usual).

Michael Ritchie tries to be Spielberg, and it isn't quite so wise...

Author: ThatMOVIENut from United Kingdom
26 December 2014

A journalist (Michael Caine) and his son embark on a trip to investigate a series of strange disappearances in the Caribbean. Turns out the ships have been hijacked by a colony of inbred pirates (led by David Warner). Our heroes get captured and are tortured by the insane bunch, and even get to witness first hand their ruthless battle for greed and survival.

After a jumbled and woefully written opening, the late Michael Ritchie's pirate thriller finds its feet when it arrives on the titular location. From there, some well staged, almost tongue in cheek set pieces involving violent pirate raids on various ships, set to a Ennio Morricone score that goes from Williams-like whimsical, akin to an old Hollywood swashbuckling score. We also have decent performances from its adequate cast, especially the supporting cast who get into the wacky & surreal mix of roles as the mad pirates, as well as a rather imposing Warner as their bloodthirsty leader. Caine and the kid actor are fine, but this was sadly during his 'paycheck' era so it falls short of some of his finer hours.

Indeed, this is a project that was not the finest hour of many; aside from Caine, the opening is very poorly paced, directed and written, with incredibly stiff, obvious dialogue that sags so much it becomes nigh-unbearable, and it feels like it takes an eternity for the pirates to make a show after the little teaser at the very start. Seriously, it's a slog and I imagine would be enough to turn off less generous viewers. However, that second, more satirical half (playing to Ritchie's strengths) did give me enough smiles to come out satisfied. Genre enthusiasts only, really.

Offbeat fun as Caine mutinies

Author: Corpus_Vile from Dublin, Ireland
21 May 2011

Michael Caine is a reporter who goes to Florida with his young son, to investigate the disappearance of hundreds of ships over a three year period. While out fishing, they are captured by vicious pirates, who speak pidgin English, live by their own set of laws and have been eking out an existence by plundering ships for centuries. Caine's son is rather partial to this lifestyle, and one of the pirate women has an eye for making Caine her new husband. will Caine's son grow up to be the next Blackbeard, with Caine doomed (I guess) to being a pirate chick's sex slave? Or will Caine manage to rescue his son and get back to civilisation?

The Island sounds totally silly, and yes, it IS totally silly, but on a plus side it has David Warner as the leader of the pirates, and Warner is awesome imho. It also comes with some nice scenery and has an effectively nasty and attention grabbing opening scene. As well as this, it's surprisingly gruey in parts with some decently and well executed bloody kills and a way OTT scene involving a heavy machine gun. There's some rather offbeat touches to The Island also, with some of the gory kills being played out to the score of swashbuckling matinée music, as the Pirates plunder ships, as well as a hilarious spot of impromptu and wholly unexpected Kung-Fu.

So overall, it's a dumb but fun flick which reasonably delivers.

6.5/10 worth checking out for some decent kills, and an overall offbeat enough set up.

A whole heap better than Jaws the Revenge Mr Caine.

Author: specialbobby from canterbury, england
1 February 2010

Wow what a fun movie this one is and so hard to find it's almost a secret. From the guy who wrote Jaws (not Jaws:the Revenge) comes a movie with Michael Caine as a journalist investigating boats disappearing in the caribbean, when his plane crashes on the sh!ttiest island in the Caribbean he's greeted by the dude from Richard Stanley's Dust Devil then borrows a boat from an old island expat drunk (guy from TV's Heartbeat), taking his son on a fishing trip they then get attacked by inbred pirates from numerous British TV shows like Lovejoy, The Paradise club, Minder etc. Forced to shag a fertile pirate lady while his son is brainwashed by pirate leader David Warner from Tron and some Star Trek movies, he then gets a bit pee'ed and aims to leave. Between spates of hacking Tourists, Drug Dealers and the US Coastguard to death the pirates have a whale of a time, Caine says "Fackkin Hell" a bit and gets stung by mutant Jellyfish. Finally he gets a big F__K OFF machine gun and shows these Jack Sparrow wannabees whose boss. Cracking stuff, an ace movie and one which should be seen far more. Go find it!

Page 4 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]