IMDb > The Island (1980) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Island

The Island More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Average movie with a few great scenes

Author: David
4 January 2010

This is an average movie but it has at least two great scenes that I would rate 10/10.

The first one is the deliberately ridiculous, incredible parody scene where the Bruce Lee-wannabe drug smuggler fights with the pirates. I find it funny and entertaining.

The second one is, of course, the massacre scene where Michael Caine's character finally gets the opportunity to annihilate them. What an unexpected and satisfying plot twist! (It wasn't their annihilation that was unexpected, but HOW it was done.)

By all means watch it.

So-So film...Read the book.

Author: Trystero (trystero4@aol.com)
23 July 1999

"The Island" was written by Peter Benchley (Jaws, The Deep,). In my own opinion "The Island" is the best of Benchley's novels unfortunately the film pales in comparison. The is nothing glaringly wrong with the movie it just could have been better. I would, however, recommend this film to any fan of the pirate genre. Both the novel and the film come very close to realistically portraying the rather unglamorous life of the Buccaneers of Hispaniola. Forget Errol Flynn and his snow-white puffie shirt...These cut-throats were dirty, toothless, dregs.

Terrible Beginning of a New Year

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
1 January 2014

In New York, the journalist Blair Maynard (Michael Caine) convinces his editor to travel to Florida to investigate the mysterious disappearance of ships in the Bermuda's Triangle area. Maynard is divorced and his ex- wife sends their son Justin (Jeffrey Frank) to stay with him while she is traveling with her boyfriend. Maynard brings Justin with him and promises to go to the Disneyland with him. However he tells Justin that they will travel to the Bermuda's Triangle but their plane crashes in an island. Maynard rents the boat of the local Dr. Brazil (Dudley Sutton) to fish barracuda with his son. But they are attacked by pirates and Maynard kills one of them in self-defense. They are captured and find that they are trapped in an island with pirates under the command of John David Nau (David Warner). Maynard is forced to be the substitute for the husband of the widow Beth (Angela Punch McGregor) and Justin is brainwashed and converted into a pirate. Now Maynard tries to find a way out from the pirate island.

"The Island" is a very bad movie with a dumb plot despite the name of Michael Caine in the credits. The plot is unreasonable and silly with shameful moments. The pirates taking the vessel of drug dealers and the Coast Guard fully equipped and modern ship are awful moments. But the drug dealer surrounded by armed pirates acting like Jackie Chan in a comedy is ridiculous. Watching "The Island" at dawn was a terrible beginning of a New Year. My vote is four.

Title (Brazil): "A Ilha" ("The Island")

Extremely under-rated

Author: lee nicholson (leeio2002@yahoo.co.uk) from middlesbrough, england
22 December 2002

THE ISLAND is one of those movies, that (for me) emerses the viewer into it's own labyrinth, and doesn't let go till it's conclusion. The plot concerns CAINE and his young son, investigating (gruesome) deaths at sea...and eventually (in the case of CAINES son) becoming seduced in the lifestyle of such murderers. Whilst being part LORD OF THER FLIES (meets) CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST (for effects,and sheer brutalness anyway!) THE ISLAND holds the viewers attention, at least untill it's bloody (and violent) climax (i'm glad CAINE takes a machine gun to them all at the end, and at the same time. predating SCARFACE)

When all said and done, a very good movie, for those in a good mood, plus a remarkable martial arts sequence, mid way through, that adds another merrit point for bizzare-ness.

Big lee gives this fine (and miss-understood) movie 10 out of 10

"The Island" is an underrated film from "Jaws" writer Benchley Benchley

Author: ersinkdotcom from United States
29 December 2012

It is hard to believe "The Island" did not do well when it came out three decades ago. You would think that audiences would have clamored to see it after the huge successes of "Jaws" and "The Deep," which was author Peter Benchley's other big screen adaptations.

Investigative reporter Blair Maynard (Michael Caine) heads to the Caribbean with his son (Jeff Frank) to solve the mystery of disappearing boats, their crews, and passengers. He is obsessed with debunking the myths surrounding what many call "the Bermuda Triangle." During his search for the truth, Blair and his son are apprehended by marauding pirates. They take the two to their island where they are still living life as centuries-old buccaneers. Blair must find a way to escape the island and save his brainwashed son from the pirates and their leader (David Warner).

I imagine the movie version of "The Island" can be trusted as what Peter Benchley wanted viewers to see since he wrote the screenplay. The film moves along at a nice pace and establishes its characters strongly. It does a good job of building up to its climax even if the ending does feel abrupt.

Director Michael Ritchie did a great job capturing the beautiful locations used to make the film. Everything from the tattered clothing of the pirates to the natural settings evokes a sense of authenticity. His knack for timing shines through in particular scenes with suspenseful build-ups. Richard A. Harris's editing gives viewers just enough of shockingly brutal scenes to induce a queasy feeling in the stomach of viewers who aren't regular watchers of gory genre films.

Michael Caine does his usual wonderful job portraying Blair Maynard. He keeps Maynard balancing desperately between calm and frenzy as he sees how the pirates live and what they plan to do to his son. Jeff Frank is convincing in his role of Caine's son, Justin Maynard. He might possibly have the toughest role in the film. He has to convince the audience he is a true convert and has become a buccaneer. David Warner is perfect as the reserved-yet-volatile leader of the pirates.

"The Island" is an unnerving suspense thriller which holds just enough violence and gore to please horror and slasher fans. I recommend it for viewers who enjoyed "The Wicker Tree" and Benchley's "The Deep." Although it is not perfect, this is a film that deserves more recognition than it received in its initial release.

Better seen with a yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Author: billyfish from Omaha
4 August 2009

30 years out, this has got to be good, dirty fun! Michael Caine plays a straight man throughout, as the modern man kidnapped by real-life pirates of the Caribbean, but he's fun to watch, in spite of how flat the rest of the characters are. I haven't read Benchley's book, but I'd like to believe that it was a bit more realistically painted than this comic-book version. David Warner is completely wasted as the pirate commander, but even so he is an interesting presence on screen. One has to believe that this is a movie worth doing again, perhaps taking it both a bit more seriously and a bit more tongue-in-cheek. The 17th-century pirate lingo was not researched carefully (of course), but that in itself would make for a compelling new version of the story.

Even with all its pitfalls, it's still a watchable movie and I found myself (guiltily) enjoying it. Not bad for a 30-year old movie. I think you'll get a lot more yo ho hos out of it if you watch it with a bottle of rum, me heartie!

Great Pirate movie

Author: steeplejack17 from United States
26 December 2006

Where do, I begin... This movie was great from beginning to end for a small budget and great plot. The only main historical error, I could find with the movie is you get the idea if you follow Pirate history is David Warner plays character Jean David Nau who obviously his ancestor would be Francois L'Olonnais (Jean David Nau) who was shipwrecked with his crew by Navidad. They seem to obviously survived the native attacks, the only problem, I have is when they hoist up there black flag after taking the Coast Guard ship it is of Emmanuel Wynne's. Anyhow they made it a believable story of Pirates that survived on this island and started a colony for 300 years. Which you mix it up with the Bermuda Triangle. Wow! It explains the shipping loss aspect. I am not going to ruin it with getting into the plot the other writers summed it up pretty well just wanted to give a bit of historical aspect of the movie and general opinion of the movie. Great characters and acting a movie worth being released on DVD and hopefully it will have an uncut version of the movie and possibly deleted scenes due to the small budget..

See it!

Author: alex-522 from Warsaw, Poland
21 August 2002

This is a breath-taking caper bursting to the rafters with butchery, fun, adventure and dagger wit. If you're into art house films and intelligent discussion this movie has nothing to offer you. If on the other hand you're looking to sink into an armchair with a can of beer this is a superb caper, and a bible of idiocy. A fabulously entertaining fantasy with a horde of unforgettable hilarious scenes. Excellent!

This is an excellent film with lots of action and suspense. I have not seen it done before or since, if you are a fan of Michael Caine this one is a must!

Author: (Scorch149) from United States
29 August 2006

This is an excellent movie before the days of CG characters when actors really could act. If you like pirates and drama and are a fan of M. Caine then this film is a must! A tale of intrigue and history that spans into modern times. I have not seen this done before or since and I hoped the new film of the same name would pick up where this left off or be a re-make but alas it was not to be. In this version a man and his son take a boat ride and end up meeting the modern versions of Blackbeard! The story continues as they try to escape and the pirates do what they are known for! Its realistic and believable. In short a good film with action and suspense. I love the ending! Be careful next time you are out boating!

Here we have a GOOD bad movie!

Author: radioman970us from Georgia USA
21 September 2003

I wasn't sure what to expect with THE ISLAND. One critic thought it was smelly fish chum and another thought it was a great modern-day pirate story. I originally thought it was a sea creature story like Jaws.

I was thrilled to watch it this morning and discover that it is that rare breed of a film: so much is wrong like bad dialog & unlikely situations, bad acting from every single extra in the film (casting call at the community college everybody!!), kid turns WAY too quickly against dad but dad is probably the most incompetent dad you'll see (hey, this is much better than Disneyland...hired the worst pilot on the face of the planet because you're too cheap to pay for a boat and now held captive in a 3rd world nation. Thanks dad!), cheezy violence, that music that plays during the violent ship attacks would work for Errol Flynn but not here.

But it's films of this badness that can be more fun than so-called great films. Especially the first time you watch them. I'm the type that seeks out films like Bad Taste, Hysterical, Evil Dead and The Island because they go against the copycat stream of Hollywood films.

NOTE: I would've spanked that kid within an inch of his life and I don't even believe in physical punishment of children. I think we all agree here! LOL

Page 2 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]