IMDb > Inside Moves (1980) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Inside Moves

Inside Moves More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Very good movie with some excellent performances and good scriptwriting (great ending!)

Author: Robert Reynolds (minniemato@hotmail.com) from Tucson AZ
25 October 2001

Let me start out first with a bit of a disclaimer: I am disabled, so I was either going to love this movie or hate it, depending on how real things seemed to me. So my comments have to be seen in that light. Here goes:

This is a very good film, with a good cast, some excellent performances and I love the script. But the thing that impresses me the most about this film is its portrayal of the disabled. They come across as average, normal people-sometimes they're jerks, like most people and sometimes they're nice folks, like most people. There is nothing inherently heroic about being disabled. Conversely, the disabled should not be hermetically sealed off from society for their protection (or yours). All too often, peole make assumptions about people and far too many are made about the disabled. End of sermon.

The other thing I like about this film, although it is admittedly a bit too pat, is the ending of a couple of plot threads. Suffice it to say that Several of the characters get what they deserve, good and bad. I love the poetic justice (or karma, if you prefer) at the end, in the basketball arena. Most recommended.

A film for the ages.

Author: Michael O'Neill (WLFBoulder) from Boulder, Colorado
18 October 2004

This is a movie about the kind of people most of us spend our lives trying to avoid: drunks, whores and cripples of every description. The setting is seamy, mostly taking place in an old neighborhood bar; no ferns here, no clever reparte between beautiful people. The is a story of loneliness and not a little darkness, leavened with gentle, often self-effacing humor.

The miracle here is the degree to which you wind up truly caring about what happens to these folks. The action in the movie is simple. The people are not, and it is a remarkable feat of storytelling to bring this ensemble to such rich, moving life.

This is truly a sleeper, Steinbeckian in its evocation of the common humanity in us all.

High on my list of top 10 movies of all time.

Author: masterfundi
29 November 2003

John Savage provides us with another look at his exceptional talent with perhaps his finest performance since The Deerhunter, with a supporting cast including Oscar-nominated Diana Scarwid and another of my favorites, David Morse. A truly feel-good movie, directed by Richard Donner, that explores the depths of human emotion while depicting the sometimes comedic, sometimes heartwrenching stories of characters who are all crippled, either physically, mentally, or morally. It is a great mystery to me why this movie has not been made available on DVD, and if I knew how to achieve its release, I would be relentless in my pursuit of that goal!

Surprisingly Uplifting Movie

Author: (tammas2000) from Scotland, UK
19 June 2003

Detailing the plot of this film would lead the unsuspecting to assume they were in for an hour and a half of depression - but quite the opposite. The acting was spot on, the script razor sharp, and the storyline genuinely different and inspiring. I've not seen a copy on video or dvd for years, and for some reason it's never been on terrestrial tv in the UK, and I have to admit I'm baffled as to why. In the genre, it's quite simply one of the best films ever made.

Soulful masterpiece.

Author: Blueghost from The San Francisco Bay Area
4 July 2004

It's been many years since I've seen this film, but I've never forgotten it. There's little I can offer in terms of praise that hasn't already been posted here by other commentators.

It's a film about adversity, finding friendship, and finding the inner strength to rebuild and embrace life for what it is. It's a film that shows people with physical disabilities in a very normal light, showing them to be neither noble-handicaps nor pitiful cripples, but as normal everyday folks with all the faults and good points of humanity. It's a film about coping with one's own decisions, and overcoming life's challenges.

There's some mild profanity, and references to adult situations, as well as some violence, so be warned ahead of time. It's a film the likes of which I have not seen since, and am hopeful that it'll see a DVD release someday. Until then we'll just have to wait :-(

In the meantime if you get a chance to view it, then do so :-)

Movie About Acceptance

Author: jess-12 (jessica.martorana@bmge.com)
5 April 2000

I happened upon this movie at the video store and had to rent it because it'd been years since I first saw this movie in the early 80's. This was the movie that introduced me to my now all time favorite actor, John Savage. I truly loved him in this movie as Roary, a man who attempts suicide and ends up a cripple. His handicap leads him to meet some amazing people he might never have had if he wasn't. Through them, he learns about true friendship, love and acceptance for who you are. The ending also tugs at you when Roary explains why he tried to kill himself. A person could really relate to his reasoning why and you can feel the emptiness he must have felt. If you are a John Savage fan and haven't seen this one yet, I highly suggest it, if you can still find it in the video stores.

It's been eighteen years since I saw this movie, but thinking about the way things unfold in the story I still get tears in my eyes.

Author: Michael O'Neill from Boulder, Colorado
31 December 1999

A movie that once you hit while surfing, you just can't leave

Author: ed kerner (eddie1955@aol.com) from syosset, NY
20 February 1999

I have a very subjective method of measuring some of my all time favorite movies. If I'm surfing the remote and "hit" the movie that I just can leave, then that's it. I did this last night and when I hit "Inside Moves". This is a extremely comfortable and beautifully paced film . The scenes in Max's are so warm and intimate you feel if your in the corner of the bar observing the intimate relationships and comaraderie of the supposedly "special " people that live there. Yes, they are special..they're only aspirations are enjoying each other's company and accepting each other and their metamorphical handicaps. The scene where Louise admits she is frightened by a potential romantic realtionship with Rory is honest and heartbreaking. After checking the credits on Inside Moves I was surprised and then nodding in agreement, why it's a classic. Written by Barry Levinson...enough said..

Excellent movie

Author: Susan Foster from Concord, NH
28 March 2002

I have seen this movie more times than I can count. Full of human tragedy and comedy, Inside Moves is a reminder of our resilience, ability to love and be loved, and the inherent goodness that lives inside us all. I highly recommend this movie. A good "thinker's" movie.

"Of Human Bondage" with a little help from the friends

Author: jeffhill1 from Sapporo, Japan
2 April 2002

"Inside Moves" was marketed in Japan as "San Francisco Monogatari"

which means "San Francisco Story." ("To Kill a Mockingbird" is known

in Japan as "Alabama Monogatari".) "Inside Moves" is another little

movie that when I saw it in a cheap theater in Japan, I thought,

"Great. I am going to enjoy seeing this many times"; only to find

myself waiting for decades for it to resurface. It's a film which

examines the essence of humanity: heart, mind, and body. It's about

finding yourself through helping others; something that in the Thai

language is called, "Nam Jai" which means "water from the heart."

Sometimes we find it and sometimes we lose it. My favorite line is

John Savage's, "You don't have to come around anymore. We don't need

your kind of cripple" to indicate the sorry lot of those who have lost

the joy of giving and the value of camaraderie. But "Inside Moves"

gives it back again.