IMDb > Humanoids from the Deep (1980) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Humanoids from the Deep

Humanoids from the Deep More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 8: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

a cool movie

Author: moviecollector from WI.
18 April 2000

Well, being in 1980, this probably was forgotten cause of its small budget, yes its cheesy but its cool. 1980, the yr I was born, the yr THE SHINING scared us, the yr, CADDYSHACK made us laugh, & the yr that Jason from FRIDAY THE 13TH tried 2 scare but the whole franchise turned out 2 be a big long piece of crap. Back 2 the movie, females r being raped or killed by mutants of some kind & must be stopped. It is worth seeing if u r into the good old cheesy B movies. The ending was cool & scary in a way.

This is an excellent movie...

Author: BUTCHER-5 from Poland
12 March 2000

Amazing horror movie from Barbara Peeters;brilliantly made and fun to watch.It's scary,it's gory and it has clever conclusion.Strange fish-monsters attack people in the quiet fishing town of Noyo.They kill men and rape women.The gore effects are pretty well-done,the rape scenes aren't graphic and there is a nice amount of female nudity.This film is also very humorous and effective in some places.Check it out because it's ten times better than many of these modern pseudo-horror atrocities made by Hollywood.Please,don't take this movie seriously-I am sure that you'll like it.

B Movie classic

Author: shuz from Phoenix, AZ
22 April 1999

Watching this movie is like a ride on one of those cheesy scary fair rides. Evil humanoid creatures with really long arms and big brain heads rise from the ocean to wreak havoc on a New England town. They proceed to graphically rape and rip the tops off many an ample chested actress. You feel sorry for the actors that had to film ocean scenes, as it appears to be just above freezing temperatures and they clearly don't want to frolic in the seaweedy water. Still manages to be sort of creepy in that B movie way, but skip if you don't like graphic violence.

Fun and gory exploitation stuff!

Author: HumanoidOfFlesh from Chyby, Poland
22 May 2001

"Humanoids from the Deep" is one of my favourite cheesy horror movies from early 80's.This nicely woven tale about some strange fish-monsters,who terrorize a quiet fishing town somewhere in the US,is simply outstanding.The film is fast paced,the special effects are excellent and there's also a rather high amount of gore and violence.Gotta love especially that cool looking creature costumes!The last scene is completely over the top,but it's a rip-off of "Alien".Nevertheless,a great sequence!Anyway,if you like gratuitous bloodshed and nudity then this campy masterpiece is a perfect choice for you.Recommended!

Nothing more than mutant sea monsters raping women and killing people.

Author: tristanbear12 from United States
19 October 2013

Honestly this is nothing more than mutant sea monster raping women and killing people. The story is pretty much non-existent and the acting is also pretty bad. The characters have no real purpose, and a horrible cliché. I mean what the hell is with the puppet guy and how did he seduce the chic into having sex with him? I guess I could make a summary of what the characters are fighting for though, hmm....Let's see. Well I guess it's based around this small fishing village, where salmon is their main recourse and profit. There are two "main" groups of fisherman. One of which wants to experiment to make bigger salmon and the other group who is against the idea. There really is no clear "good guy" in the movie though. In conclusion, The film can bring a few good laughs on just how bad it is if you don't really think about and watch with some friends while having a few good beers.

The verdict? A guilty pleasure, so bad it's entertaining and a bit silly. 4/10

Lustful creatures from the huge salty lake

Author: The_Void from Beverley Hills, England
7 December 2006

Humanoids from the Deep certainly isn't the best cheesy eighties horror film around, but it's a decent little flick with enough entertainment value to warrant it a recommendation to fans of this sort of stuff. I'm guessing the film took some influence from the silly Sergio Martino film 'Island of the Fish Men' released a year earlier. The film was produced by low budget horror guru Roger Corman, but it's certainly a world away from the stuff he did earlier in his career; films such as those delightful Poe adaptations. Even though the film was directed by a woman, there's plenty of misogynistic violence in the film...although it does have to be said that it's difficult to take seriously. The plot follows the consequences of experiments done with DNA. A company has been playing around with frogs and salmon and stuff, and somehow this has lead to the creation of strange human-like amphibian things. This is bad news for the local fishing village; as their quiet existence is about to be threatened by these monsters, who have decided that raping human women is a favourite pastime...

The special effects are as cheap as you would imagine they would be considering the penny-pinching producer, but the men in suits do actually look quite eerie and realistic, considering. The idea behind the monster design has clearly come from the classic Universal flick 'Creature from the Black Lagoon', and that immortal monster has been well stolen from. There's not a great of deal invention in this film, as even the explanation of how the monsters came about is underdone and only the idea of the monsters raping the women really shows any inventiveness as a lot of the film simply shows various people fighting the creatures. There is a fair amount of gore on display, which is nice; especially considering that this plot idea would normally have lead to a film more based on monster design than blood and guts. The ending can be seen coming a mile off, although it is strangely and perversely horrifying, thus making it memorable. Overall, this film isn't all that good really; but there's a lot worse films out there and at least Humanoids from the Deep makes for a fun viewing.

Great 80's exploitation horror film.

Author: Paul Andrews ( from UK
18 November 2004

A large canning company wants to open a factory and create new jobs in the small fishing town of Noyo. Hank Slattery (Vic Morrorw) wants the cannery at any cost, even if that means murder. Johnny Eagle (Anthony Penya), is a native Indian who is trying to save his land from ecological devastation by opposing the cannery. Jim Hill (Doug McClure) and his wife Carol (Cindy Weintraub) are for the cannery because it'll be good for the town, and Jim in general is just one hell of a decent guy, you know the sort. Susan Drake (Ann Turkel) is a scientist working for the company, she's been trying to accelerate the growth of the local salmon. Recently the salmon have disappeared from the local waters, and some of the fisherman's dogs have been brutally killed. While messing around in the sea Peggy Larson (Lynn Theel) and Jerry Potter (Meegan King) are attacked by amphibious mutant reptilian monsters. Jerry has his face torn off while Peggy is dragged away, stripped and raped by one of the monsters. After raping another woman on a beach and killing her boyfriend the monsters attack Johnny just after his house is blown to pieces by Hank. Jim's brother Tommy (Breck Costin) and his girlfriend Linda (Denise Galik) are with him. Linda drives off in a pick-up truck to find help and is attacked and forced off a bridge by a couple of the monsters, her truck blows up, Linda is cooked. Back at Johnny's leveled house he saves Tommy from a couple of the monsters. Since it's his brother Jim seems to take charge. Susan decides to be honest with Jim and Johnny and tells them that they have created a serum called DNA-5, and this causes salmon to develop into an adult much quicker. She then confesses that three thousand of these genetically altered salmon escaped into the sea, and that a land capable fish like a coelacanth might have eaten the salmon and evolved generations in a matter of days or weeks. They speculate that they see man as a potential threat and they are raping girls to further their 'incredible evolution'. They must warn the town who are currently enjoying the 'salmon festival' taking place that night, that is until the mutant fish monsters turn up and start to kill and rape everyone in sight. Directed by Barbara Peters this is classic exploitation. The monsters designed and created by Rob Bottin look a bit dodgy when the camera stays on them for too long, but I'd rather have a guy in a rubber suit than CGI. Make up effects are good as well, but there isn't much blood or gore, a few bullet wounds, a ripped off head, some blood spurting slashed opened wounds and the gross looking ending scene. The monster rapes are a little distasteful, but highly memorable. The script credited to Frank Arnold, Martin Cohen and Frederick James has it's problems like the ending which feels rushed, almost unfinished. But is quite pacey and keeps things moving along nicely. Generally well made and should provide some entertainment for horror and exploitation fans like myself. It's short at just over 70 minutes and is certainly worth a watch, I'll recommend it.

I expected it to be stupid..

Author: Jay Alan from Columbus, Oh
2 April 1999

and I thought there'd be some humor to its stupidity. I guess I got what I expected, not much more. Wouldn't watch it again, don't recommend it to anyone to watch for any reason. Only reason I watched is because my Guide said 'killer salmon' and I couldn't pass that up! 4 out of 10

I was a bit disappointed in this film

Author: stevedee from New Jersey, USA
29 December 2003

I was a bit disappointed in this film. Based on some of the amazon reviews I read, and Roger Corman's stellar reputation I thought that I would be seeing the creepiest, grossest most graphic `amphibious monsters killing the men and mating with the women' type movie imaginable.

I had a few problems with this film. First of all the whole sub-plot of the conflict between the Indian who wants to preserve the river and the redneck fishermen who want the cannery to be built was completely unnecessary and boring. C'mon, you have salmons mutating into humans and terrorizing a town, isn't that enough? The other problem is that you have a director who gives the whole thing a made for TV look, with absolutely no atmosphere. What you wind up with is a good premise that was ruined with poor execution.

There are some fairly graphic rape scenes between the monsters and the women, although they really just consist of a guy in a fish suit laying on a naked woman as she struggles and screams. What they could have done to make it grosser is have these mutant salmon-men with their ugly fish faces French-kissing the women, or, if they wanted to add a more perverted twist, show the women as enjoying having sex with the mutant fish-men. Anyhow they really could of made much more of that aspect of the film then they did.

The other area for improvement in my opinion, would have been if all the fish-men were about four feet tall like the one shown in the finally. There was something really viscous and scary about that one as opposed to the man size creatures.

Sick exploitation fodder

Author: Jonathon Dabell ( from Todmorden, England
27 December 2002

Imagine my excitement: having searched for this notorious exploitation item for years, I finally track it down whilst on vacation in San Francisco. I spend the rest of the vacation itching to get home to watch it. Then, when I finally get home I discover myself lumbered with possibly the worst, and easily the sickest of all the many JAWS rip offs that have ever been made. Even on an unintentionally funny level, it doesn't work. Rape and wanton carnage are not amusing matters.

The wafer thin plot is about some over sized fish monsters that rise from the ocean deep and bring mayhem to a West Coast fishing community. According to the scientist in the film (a miscast Ann Turkel who pronounces most of the scientific language incorrectly) they are evolving rapidly and need to mate with human women in order to take the next step in their evolutionary process. This is the excuse for some graphic rape sequences, involving naked women being mounted and abused by men in rubber suits. At the end, the monsters attack a seaside carnival, and seem to mysteriously forget their desire to rape and just start ripping off arms and legs and heads of anyone they can find, regardless of gender. The blood spurts out all over the place, but is totally the wrong shade of red to be convincing (it looks more like spare paint from London double decker buses!)

There is a sense of humour to this film, which prevents it from becoming too offensive, but isn't obvious enough to make it a fun experience. The acting is pretty bad, but I suppose if you're going to watch a Doug McClure film you expect that before it's even begun. The logic of the film is left generally untouched.... indeed it is hard to figure out how anyone could make such idiocy logical. This is a bad film and I'm saying that from the point of view of someone who was eager to see it. If you're just watching it because it's a rainy day and it's something you taped out of general curiosity, you'll probably enjoy it even less than me. Seriously: don't bother!

Page 7 of 8: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]