IMDb > Humanoids from the Deep (1980) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Humanoids from the Deep

Humanoids from the Deep More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

The overused "don't mess with mother nature" plot

Author: gasmaskproductionsbooks from Canada
27 December 2014

Humanoids from the Deep is like blending together environmentalism propaganda with the mind of a teenager and a low-budget set of effects. Normally I love cheesy horror movies (My Bloody Valentine from 1981 is my favorite) but this one is just boring and kinda pervy. The moral of it: hippies are good, science is bad, if you mess with nature you're gonna get killed.

Typical.

The Environmental Movement seeped into cinemas as far back memorably as movies like Godzilla vs. The Smog Monster (Hedorah). Ever since then, the whole enviro-crazy theme of movies has gotten really repetitive and old. Movies like Goosebumps: Welcome to Dead House, Eraserhead, The Lorax, The Toxic Avenger, Soylent Green, Redneck Zombies, A Civil Action, Silkwood and Threads are nothing new, and if you're pro-pollution like I am it can be annoying to sit through them all when you just want to watch a good movie, though some of them I really enjoyed watching.

Anyway, Humanoids from the Deep has another problem: it's overly perverted and normally that sort of thing can be overlooked, but come on! The monsters rape women and rip of their bathing suits, that's not even funny, just really weird and pointless. If their audience was a bunch of pervy teenage boys or dirty old men, then they must've made a ton of cash on this film! I'm not some prude but putting sex scenes into movies just for the hell of it is gross and a waste of time, and putting in degrading rape scenes is just disgusting.

Aside from that, this movie is incredibly cheesy, but manages to be funny at some parts. The soundtrack was pretty good, you've gotta give it that, and the acting wasn't as bad as it could have been.

added footage is fine

Author: christopher-underwood from United Kingdom
26 September 2014

I was disappointed in this, somehow never having seen it through the years, I thought a decent print of the uncut version would come as a welcome surprise. Actually, of course, the 'uncut version' is really the original version beefed up with sex and gore. Original director, Barbara Peeters wasn't too happy apparently and declined to shoot the extra footage herself. I'm not sure why, she had already been involved in several soft core sex films, but maybe she thought this was more 'serious'. Indeed, I think this might be the problem here. The acting is terrible and the direction too lame to cover that up and instead of getting some pace and excitement going we get serious talk about, conservation, discrimination and the evils of big business and dangers of messing with DNA. A simple exploitation movie can do without these diversions. So, for me the added footage is fine and the original, lifeless and dull.

Uneven, but in the end it's okay

Author: Wizard-8 from Victoria, BC
17 August 2014

"Humanoids from the Deep" is considered by many B movie fans to be a gory and sleazy cult classic of sorts. My feelings towards it are not quite as strong. Certainly, the movie does have its strengths. Though made with one of producer Roger Corman's legendary low budgets, the movie has an acceptable look, from the photography to the creature and gore effects. Speaking of gore, the attack sequences are pretty well handled, sometimes throwing in some nice gratuitous nudity as well. The climax and concluding sequence are pretty wild and satisfying.

However, the movie is not without its faults. For one thing, there is a real old fashioned feeling to much of the story - it's more or less a recreation of those low budget monster suit movies made in the 1950s, though with more explicit violence and sexual material thrown in to try and hide that fact. And the story has its share of slow spots where nothing really important is happening. The biggest problem is that none of the characters in the movie becomes really prominent - the movie really needed one or two dominant character to carry things. As there is, there's not enough time given to any character to make us care about anyone.

Is the movie worth seeing? Overall, I would say yes, on the condition that you don't have high expectations. The movie is good, but not THAT good.

Violent Thriller.

Author: AaronCapenBanner from North America
31 August 2013

A sea side community is terrorized by a series of brutal killings which prove to be the work of mutated salmon fish-men(!) who are on a crazed and murderous reproductive spree. Local scientists and townspeople team up to stop them.

Lurid film has a thoughtful story in here somewhere, but is handled as violent exploitation fare(Nudity and graphic violence); thing is, this is a surprisingly well made and tense shocker with a fantastic music score by James Horner, and superb direction. Very well paced and exciting, this may leave viewers conflicted, since it works as a harrowing cautionary tale about pollution, even though you may be ashamed to admit you enjoyed it...

Rapist monsters from the deep!

Author: Michael O'Keefe from Muskogee OK
5 January 2013

Anything connected to Roger Corman has got to be worth a look. Humanoids, half-man, half-fish are product of scientific experiments gone bad. A sleepy coastal village that depends on the fishing industry is attacked by wet creepy monsters. These accidental man-made creatures come ashore to kidnap young nubile women with the intention of impregnating; and they kill any man that interferes. Doug McClure plays his usual good guy role and hero to the rescue. Vic Morrow is the perfect a**hole, who is to profit from the experiments. These sea monsters are pretty fearsome looking; but you only see three or four at a time in any scene. Also in the cast: Cindy Weintraub, Denise Galik, Meegan King, Anthony Pena and the attractive Ann Turkel. Well worth watching; decent special effects and an above average musical score from James Horner.

The salmon-monsters that John West rejects..

Author: Chris. from Australia
1 January 2012

Loaded with gratuitous T&A, buckets of blood and gore and a reasonable cast that includes Doug "The Virginian" McClure, Vic Morrow and ex Mrs Richard Harris, Ann Turkel, this New World Pictures cheapy has a struggling fishing community besieged by mutated humanoid creatures who are seeking to mate with the female populace after they inadvertently evolve from a salmon genetics experiment gone awry.

American Indian land preservation versus indiscriminate economic expansion serves as a loose undertone to this slasher-pic that closely resembles New World's "Piranha" in concept, though executes with less success. The script is strictly functional with apparently only two attempts at humour (McClure gesturing at Turkel's superior height and ventriloquist David Strassman and his alter-ego Chuck Wood in a randy tent encounter), and the special effects while bloody, don't really manage to conjure anything but ridiculous-looking title beasts (akin to gill-men from other films of the ilk).

There's head-ripping, simulated rape, nudity, dog-eating, mutant baby birthing madness galore for those who appreciate that sort of thing, but despite the cult status (essentially for its tasteless excesses), it's still a pretty average flick.

I can't believe my parents let me watch this one

Author: Aaron1375
2 August 2009

I recently caught this movie on Epix Drive In, a channel that shows films that are usually not mainstream and often times are horror from years gone by. I had viewed this one as a child and I remember certain parts of the film, but after re-watching it, I cannot believe my parents let me view this one. This is not due to the monsters or the gore, but there is a lot of nudity in this one and the monsters rape their female victims! Granted, the rapes never take that much time so they are not on screen for long. The film, reminds me of a combination of other films of the era. It is a rather good horror film featuring monsters though as the monsters do look good, there is some good gore and the ladies are all quite lovely. The only thing that really pulls the film down a bit is a subplot featuring a cannery coming to town where the local redneck battles the local Indian. Just pads the film out, but they really could have fleshed out the monsters a bit more to accomplish this.

The story starts out with a bang. Some fisherman go out on their boats and are soon attacked by something. A little boy is the first to go in very surprising fashion. The boat blows up leaving no evidence of the attack for the authorities. This part reminded me a bit of Jaws II and the attack of the shark on the two people in the boat that end up blowing up. Soon, dogs are being killed left and right and then we go on to a dance where an Indian against the coming of a cannery comes in and we see his dog is dead too, though chances are it is because the local redneck killed it cause he does not care for the Indian's opposition to the cannery. Well soon, people are being attacked by strange fish creatures and women are being raped. A scientist at the cannery seems to know something, but will she figure things out in time to stop the creatures from killing everyone?

Like I said, it was a rather good horror film. If not for the padding, I would have given it a higher score. The monsters look sort of like the creature from the black lagoon, only nastier and more real. In fact, I find them more realistic than the scene where a man is able to coax a woman out of her clothes using a ventriloquist dummy! The movie has its slow parts, but then really has a good finale as the monsters are attacking this festival in full force, but we also see the main character's wife have to endure an attack from these nasty creatures too. Then it kind of ends in unspectacular fashion as people are just kind of wandering here and there after the fair. Then one last scene that lets the film end on an unpleasant, but familiar note.

Classic Cheese!

Author: cheddar84 from A flooded Iowa Cornfield
1 August 2008

I was actually introduced to Roger Corman films thru the wonderful show, MST 3000. I was 14 when this movie came out in 1980, and it was a big hit for me and my friends! If you have seen it, you know why it would appeal to teenage boys!

I hadn't seen it in 15-20 years until I caught it on TV recently. I have one question. Without giving anything away, do people in the Great Northwest actually pronounce the "L" in Salmon? Like "sal-mon?" If you remember the KFSH deejay, then you know what I am talking about.

I gave the movie 6 stars because I am now 40 years old and ,well, its a little cheesy to me now. However, if I were to rate this flick as a 14 year old high school freshman, it would definitely get 10 stars! Love those string bikinis!!!

A little Corman every now and then never hurt anyone. At least not on purpose.....

PEACE!

* *1/2 out of 4

Author: Bleeding-Skull from Review Land
12 March 2008

It seems the small town of is experiencing several weird events. First, there is something unusual happening to the fish of the coast. They are strangely in smaller schools than ever before. Then, dogs begin to disappear, and are found later ripped to shreds. When the town gets together to hold their annual harvest, a scientist for town's cannery, Dr. Susan Drake, (Ann Turkel) announces that she can make their catch bigger than ever before with the introduction of genetically introduced fish to the environment. Her boss, Hank Slattery, (Vic Morrow) enthusiastically shares her point of view. The next day, several teens in the town disappear. Townsman Jim Hill, (Doug McClure) has had it, and he decides to investigate the occurrences. After news carries of more attacks, Dr. Drake becomes concerned that the creatures responsible for the attacks are the mutated offspring of failed tests her company held earlier. With this bit of knowledge, they head out to stop the creatures from mating with human women for their species to survive.

Fun, scary, and even witty little monster flick is a send-up of 50's & 60's monster flicks from Roger Corman, only with more graphic violence and sex. The finale has to be seen to be believed!

Unrated for Rape, Nudity, Profanity and Violence.

Great exploitation movie

Author: funnyguyla from Los Angeles
16 June 2003

I loved this movie because it's not pretending to be more than it is. It's a sleazy exploitation flick and damn proud of it. Lots of blood, gore, nudity, bad acting, and continuity problems (in one scene a guy has blood all over his shirt; in the very next shot there's hardly any). And contrary to what you've heard, the rape scenes don't show anything other than a monster on top of a woman for a split second. Everything else is left to your imagination. What I liked most about this movie is the nostalgia factor. They just don't make 'em like this anymore. Horror movies now days have removed the exploitation element and replaced it with high gloss, pop culture jokes and TV stars who won't take their clothes off.

Page 5 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]