IMDb > Humanoids from the Deep (1980) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Humanoids from the Deep

Humanoids from the Deep More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Inverse scattering for CHUDs!

Author: farnum from seattle
4 November 2005

Three hands down, Humanoids from the Deep (H.f.t.D.)is one of the greatest interspecies copulating movies of all time. Believe me, I ought to know! Back when I was in grad school I did some research about inverse scattering to solve the Helmholtz equation. A lot of people don't know it, but you can actually use my results in the detection of subterranean C.H.U.D.s. Now I know what you're thinking -- a C.H.U.D. is a C.H.U.D. and a H.f.t.D. is a H.f.t.D., right? But tell me this -- next time you're roller skiing down the street and you see a guy with a ventriloquist dummy get his head ripped off in a tent just because he was about to get it on with his hot girlfriend on the beach, and then you find out she was impregnated by the otherworldly beast, are you going to pick nits? or just pick your nose and put it in the booger box? I rest my case. My point is this -- C.H.U.D.s, Humnanoids from the Deep -- who cares what you call them -- if you see their scattering support on the beach you'd best hightail your compact balls out of there. Pronto! The other thing that would have made this movie better would be if there was a guy with a gorilla suit in it. They wouldn't even need to hire another guy, they could just let Doug McClure do it. Heck, I could do it myself. It wouldn't be the first time. Once I was wearing my gorilla suit, drinking a nice glass of Barollo, watching Humanoids from the Deep and thats when I got the idea of using the whole inverse scattering thing for subterranean C.H.U.D. detection. THen I thought naah, I gotta do laundry and buy milk and stuff. It's so funny because it's true! So here's my advice: if you love someone, set them free. Then go out and watch Humanoids from the Deep!

Uneven, but in the end it's okay

Author: Wizard-8 from Victoria, BC
17 August 2014

"Humanoids from the Deep" is considered by many B movie fans to be a gory and sleazy cult classic of sorts. My feelings towards it are not quite as strong. Certainly, the movie does have its strengths. Though made with one of producer Roger Corman's legendary low budgets, the movie has an acceptable look, from the photography to the creature and gore effects. Speaking of gore, the attack sequences are pretty well handled, sometimes throwing in some nice gratuitous nudity as well. The climax and concluding sequence are pretty wild and satisfying.

However, the movie is not without its faults. For one thing, there is a real old fashioned feeling to much of the story - it's more or less a recreation of those low budget monster suit movies made in the 1950s, though with more explicit violence and sexual material thrown in to try and hide that fact. And the story has its share of slow spots where nothing really important is happening. The biggest problem is that none of the characters in the movie becomes really prominent - the movie really needed one or two dominant character to carry things. As there is, there's not enough time given to any character to make us care about anyone.

Is the movie worth seeing? Overall, I would say yes, on the condition that you don't have high expectations. The movie is good, but not THAT good.

Violent Thriller.

Author: AaronCapenBanner from North America
31 August 2013

A sea side community is terrorized by a series of brutal killings which prove to be the work of mutated salmon fish-men(!) who are on a crazed and murderous reproductive spree. Local scientists and townspeople team up to stop them.

Lurid film has a thoughtful story in here somewhere, but is handled as violent exploitation fare(Nudity and graphic violence); thing is, this is a surprisingly well made and tense shocker with a fantastic music score by James Horner, and superb direction. Very well paced and exciting, this may leave viewers conflicted, since it works as a harrowing cautionary tale about pollution, even though you may be ashamed to admit you enjoyed it...

Rapist monsters from the deep!

Author: Michael O'Keefe from Muskogee OK
5 January 2013

Anything connected to Roger Corman has got to be worth a look. Humanoids, half-man, half-fish are product of scientific experiments gone bad. A sleepy coastal village that depends on the fishing industry is attacked by wet creepy monsters. These accidental man-made creatures come ashore to kidnap young nubile women with the intention of impregnating; and they kill any man that interferes. Doug McClure plays his usual good guy role and hero to the rescue. Vic Morrow is the perfect a**hole, who is to profit from the experiments. These sea monsters are pretty fearsome looking; but you only see three or four at a time in any scene. Also in the cast: Cindy Weintraub, Denise Galik, Meegan King, Anthony Pena and the attractive Ann Turkel. Well worth watching; decent special effects and an above average musical score from James Horner.

The salmon-monsters that John West rejects..

Author: Chris. from Australia
1 January 2012

Loaded with gratuitous T&A, buckets of blood and gore and a reasonable cast that includes Doug "The Virginian" McClure, Vic Morrow and ex Mrs Richard Harris, Ann Turkel, this New World Pictures cheapy has a struggling fishing community besieged by mutated humanoid creatures who are seeking to mate with the female populace after they inadvertently evolve from a salmon genetics experiment gone awry.

American Indian land preservation versus indiscriminate economic expansion serves as a loose undertone to this slasher-pic that closely resembles New World's "Piranha" in concept, though executes with less success. The script is strictly functional with apparently only two attempts at humour (McClure gesturing at Turkel's superior height and ventriloquist David Strassman and his alter-ego Chuck Wood in a randy tent encounter), and the special effects while bloody, don't really manage to conjure anything but ridiculous-looking title beasts (akin to gill-men from other films of the ilk).

There's head-ripping, simulated rape, nudity, dog-eating, mutant baby birthing madness galore for those who appreciate that sort of thing, but despite the cult status (essentially for its tasteless excesses), it's still a pretty average flick.

Undeniably entertaining...

Author: JasparLamarCrabb from Boston, MA
15 January 2011

The title says it all and it's undeniably entertaining. Mutants rise out of the sea & attack a fishing village. They're interested in mating with the women. Doug McClure & Ann Turkel try to stop them. Vic Morrow is the local hot-head who blames the native Americans opposed to a soon to be built canning facility. Directed with a lot of finesse by Barbara Peeters and featuring a plethora of nudity thrown in after the fact. McClure is dull but Turkel is pretty fetching and Morrow is great (sporting an odd frizzy hairdo). The special effects are terrific with some really ugly monsters created by the great Rob Bottin. James Horner did the music score. The "shocking" ending is more predictable than surprising. Certainly one of Roger Corman's better late career efforts.

I can't believe my parents let me watch this one

Author: Aaron1375
2 August 2009

I recently caught this movie on Epix Drive In, a channel that shows films that are usually not mainstream and often times are horror from years gone by. I had viewed this one as a child and I remember certain parts of the film, but after re-watching it, I cannot believe my parents let me view this one. This is not due to the monsters or the gore, but there is a lot of nudity in this one and the monsters rape their female victims! Granted, the rapes never take that much time so they are not on screen for long. The film, reminds me of a combination of other films of the era. It is a rather good horror film featuring monsters though as the monsters do look good, there is some good gore and the ladies are all quite lovely. The only thing that really pulls the film down a bit is a subplot featuring a cannery coming to town where the local redneck battles the local Indian. Just pads the film out, but they really could have fleshed out the monsters a bit more to accomplish this.

The story starts out with a bang. Some fisherman go out on their boats and are soon attacked by something. A little boy is the first to go in very surprising fashion. The boat blows up leaving no evidence of the attack for the authorities. This part reminded me a bit of Jaws II and the attack of the shark on the two people in the boat that end up blowing up. Soon, dogs are being killed left and right and then we go on to a dance where an Indian against the coming of a cannery comes in and we see his dog is dead too, though chances are it is because the local redneck killed it cause he does not care for the Indian's opposition to the cannery. Well soon, people are being attacked by strange fish creatures and women are being raped. A scientist at the cannery seems to know something, but will she figure things out in time to stop the creatures from killing everyone?

Like I said, it was a rather good horror film. If not for the padding, I would have given it a higher score. The monsters look sort of like the creature from the black lagoon, only nastier and more real. In fact, I find them more realistic than the scene where a man is able to coax a woman out of her clothes using a ventriloquist dummy! The movie has its slow parts, but then really has a good finale as the monsters are attacking this festival in full force, but we also see the main character's wife have to endure an attack from these nasty creatures too. Then it kind of ends in unspectacular fashion as people are just kind of wandering here and there after the fair. Then one last scene that lets the film end on an unpleasant, but familiar note.

Classic Cheese!

Author: cheddar84 from A flooded Iowa Cornfield
1 August 2008

I was actually introduced to Roger Corman films thru the wonderful show, MST 3000. I was 14 when this movie came out in 1980, and it was a big hit for me and my friends! If you have seen it, you know why it would appeal to teenage boys!

I hadn't seen it in 15-20 years until I caught it on TV recently. I have one question. Without giving anything away, do people in the Great Northwest actually pronounce the "L" in Salmon? Like "sal-mon?" If you remember the KFSH deejay, then you know what I am talking about.

I gave the movie 6 stars because I am now 40 years old and ,well, its a little cheesy to me now. However, if I were to rate this flick as a 14 year old high school freshman, it would definitely get 10 stars! Love those string bikinis!!!

A little Corman every now and then never hurt anyone. At least not on purpose.....

PEACE!

* *1/2 out of 4

Author: Bleeding-Skull from Review Land
12 March 2008

It seems the small town of is experiencing several weird events. First, there is something unusual happening to the fish of the coast. They are strangely in smaller schools than ever before. Then, dogs begin to disappear, and are found later ripped to shreds. When the town gets together to hold their annual harvest, a scientist for town's cannery, Dr. Susan Drake, (Ann Turkel) announces that she can make their catch bigger than ever before with the introduction of genetically introduced fish to the environment. Her boss, Hank Slattery, (Vic Morrow) enthusiastically shares her point of view. The next day, several teens in the town disappear. Townsman Jim Hill, (Doug McClure) has had it, and he decides to investigate the occurrences. After news carries of more attacks, Dr. Drake becomes concerned that the creatures responsible for the attacks are the mutated offspring of failed tests her company held earlier. With this bit of knowledge, they head out to stop the creatures from mating with human women for their species to survive.

Fun, scary, and even witty little monster flick is a send-up of 50's & 60's monster flicks from Roger Corman, only with more graphic violence and sex. The finale has to be seen to be believed!

Unrated for Rape, Nudity, Profanity and Violence.

Needs a Widescreen DVD release!!

Author: deadelvis1988 from Atlanta, Ga.
16 July 2006

Buena Vista recently bought New Concorde. What does this mean to us....?

It means clever little horror gems (and not so clever horror gems or series)like "Humanoids From the Deep", "Piranha", "The Nest", "The Terror Within", "Sorority House Massacre" and "Slumber Party Massacre" get shelved....Basicaly any film you ever loved that Roger Corman produced or took a hand in!

This film although not the greatest slab of celluloid is quite entertaining. Another graceful monsters invading a small town feature where the local authorities take the heroes for a couple of whack jobs. Yes, it is more entertaining and better than it sounds. If you are a fan of the old creature features from the fifties and sixties then this is a film for you. It was made in the great era of the practical special effects wizard and made Fangoria reader's go.....oooh and ahhh! Will this film see the light of day in it's correct aspect ratio? Will it see it again at all? I guess we are left at the merciless hands of Disney...

Page 4 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]