IMDb > The Hollywood Knights (1980) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

One of the best films of 1980 -Great cast of actors

Author: TonyBeazley from Nashville Tennessee
28 June 2004

I I still love this movie after 24 years. This show was to take place during Viet Nam era. I would say this is a movie for guys. Good looking muscle cars throughout the show. Hey they even cruise the burger joint !!!!! Good Motown music throughout. This show is the ultimate in high school pranks. Great cast of actors. Unbelievable what teenagers can get into when they're away from home.

There are some very good moments of "growing up" in this film. Some one leaving to go to Viet Nam not sure if he'll come back to see his friends, so he hangs out with them the night before he leaves. The usual boy falls in love with girl ,then girl leaves for college stuff. Some good street drag scenes. A high school initiation quest. There are a lot more stories in this very well scripted film that are all TOO real.

If you ever wondered what your parents did in the sixties then you need to watch the fun they had. It really did look like a blast. This is a must see!

MY FAVORITE CHARACTER: Newbomb Turk

Halloween hilarity in LA in 1965

Author: stretchrunner from Federal Way, Wa
14 November 2001

If you're looking for a fun way to spend an hour and a half, plug this movie in, kick back and be prepared to laugh yourself silly. This film basically has no plot save for the fact that Tubby's Drive-in is shutting down and the Hollywood Knights converge there for one last hurrah. Most of their hijinks take place elsewhere however, but Tubby's is their hangout. The movie is a series of comedy sketches rather than a straightforward progression. The cast plays their roles to the hilt led by the frenetic stylings of Robert Wuhl (Newbomb). Also outstanding are Stuart Pankin as Dudley (the much-maligned honor student), and Gailard Sartain and Sandy Helberg as Officers Bimbeau and Clark. One point I notice in other reviews and which I have to agree wholeheartedly with is that the subplots featuring Tony Danza/Michelle Pfeiffer and Jimmy Shine/Vietnam both contrive to slow the film down. This can be excused though, thanks to such gems as Newbomb's rendition of Volare, the one-armed violinist and the catered reception. Bottom line: it's a lewd and crude laugh-riot!!!

Low brow humor at its best

Author: TSMChicago from Palatine, IL
9 June 1999

Trashy, sophomoric, offensive and very, very funny! I keep a watch for this film as it shows up on Cinemax every so often. I love the two cops and the whole bit about spiking the punch. Robert Wuhl's rendition of "Volare" in the gym is a gas!

Truly one of the most hilarious movies ever made.

A CLASSIC COMEDY FOR GUYS

Author: Brikindewall-9 from California
10 August 2003

I remember first catching this movie on HBO back in 82 when I was 12. I thought it was one of the funniest movies I had ever seen. I would put The Hollywood Knights up against any sophmoric crude comedy out there. I am sure if you saw it you would definetley rank it in the top ten. This movie is right up there with Porky's, Animal House, Revenge of the Nerds, American Graffiti. You definetely would not get it if you saw this on regular broadcast television. This R comedy has to be seen uncut and unedited. I would always look for this at video stores but never could find it. I recently went over a friends house and noticed he had a VHS copy. It is one of those things that if someone knows about Hollywood Knights there is an instant conection to them. Now after all these years it is out on DVD. I can't wait to get my copy.

hot rods from heck

Author: march9hare from sparks nv
26 October 2004

We first saw this little opus on cable, and rushed out to get a blank tape right away. The first major film for Tony Danza, Michelle Pfieffer, and Robert Wuhl, "The Hollywood Knights" is funny, gross, bawdy, and nostalgic all at the same time. Is it a rip-off of "American Graffiti"? Um, yeah, but it's still a very funny film in its own right. Is it gross and lewd in spots? Well. . .yeah, but we can think of more egregious examples, like "Porky's". Does it deserve an "R" rating? Not when you consider some of the other dreck that's been put in the can. Undoubtedly the most memorable scene is Newbomb's rendition of "Volare'" in the school gym; a masterpiece of lowbrow humor, but funnier than. . .well, you can fill in the blank. Bottom line: a small-budget gem, if you can take it. If you're easily offended, lighten up. After all, there's LOTS worse out there!

the all time car comedy

Author: rickherrick77 from United States
4 April 2008

By rights, this movie should get a 2. It is badly acted, there are any number of continuity goofs (like Moosie Dreier being in two places at once) and there are many racist and sexist jokes. However, if you want to laugh and forget the real world for a few minutes, then this film is for you. This movie launched the careers of Tony Danza, Bob Wuhl, Joyce Heyser, Gailhard Sartain, Stuart Pankin, and Michelle Pfifer. There were great cars and there was great music, although some of the music was post 1965. The California surf-and-drag culture was very appealing. I grew up in the Midwest and went to catholic schools during cold winters, and I can imagine was CA must have been like. Another favorite movie of mine is also set in 1965, Heaven Help Us. The contrast is extreme. To kids who were swimming bare in cold pools and getting the paddle in gym class, the prospect of endless sunshine and girls in bikinis would have been otherworldly. And no teachers to worry about, just two dumb cops who were easy to outwit. And what I would not have given to be a student at Beverly Hills High!

Leave your brains at the door and laugh

Author: Damon Fordham from United States
18 June 2009

Folks, this is not a movie to be judged or rated by ordinary or serious standards as you would "I Am Legend" or "Gone With The Wind." Admittedly, this is a typical early 1980s (set in the 1960s) teen trash and laugh fests crudely mixed together from "Animal House" and "American Graffiti." No real plot, a thousand different things happen at once to group of wild teenagers (played by numerous soon-to-be's) who pull crazy pranks on Halloween Night 1965.

However, if you are not of the overly-sensitive politically correct crowd or watching this with (very) young children, this film is FUNNY! The gaseus rendition of "Volare", wild catch-phrases (his pants fit him like a glove, Lawrence, Lawrence of Arabia, et. al) and senseless raunch makes this ideal for firing up the DVD player while your buddies are over for beer and pizza. Don't expect to find the meaning of life in this one.

car lovers fantasy

Author: frank lowrie jr from atlanta, georgia
17 January 1999

the hollywood knights incorporates the cream of the crop when it comes to killer rides, laugh till you cry pranks and gags, as well as a major stepping stone for many of tinseltowns now famous stars like tony danza,michelle pffeifer and fran dresher.i just hope that sony pictures will finally put an end to the suffering of the fans of this film and release it to homevideo.it was released by coloumbia originally(part of sony now) in 1980.19 years is too long to let a gem like this go unmined.

A Way to Spend a "Knight"

Author: skpurplevamp from United States
16 October 2010

Whether you like good comedy or like movies that bring memories of a long-gone era, this is the guilty pleasure for you. The setting in 1965 with the Vietnam conflict, changes in race relations and music gaining momentum, makes for a perfect setting for a group of fun-loving senior high students who gather their car club together on Halloween night for an evening at the local drive-in burger joint nobody will forget. Big names--before they were big--like Robert Wuhl, Tony Danza and Fran Dresher, add to the fun. Everybody knows or has known a Newbomb Turk, guys will enjoy the cars and antics, and gals will like the nostalgia and the love story between Danza and Michelle Pfeiffer. Sure there are juvenile pranks (actually a lot of them), but all in good fun. If you're looking for something different in comedy, check this movie out.

good - funny - movie

Author: jcopenhaver from United States
3 May 2005

In reality it is a poor movie. The acting is Luke warm. B U T . . It is a great movie too! The plot is thin and the stories were cut short. Too bad the cutting room floor clips weren't available for the DVD.

The Cobra vs Project X race is incredible. Even though MSD electronic ignition and electric thin profile fans weren't available yet in '65. The Cobra still would have smoked the '57 and the T-Bucket. The hair-dos are more of the late '70s than the mid '60s.

I have it on VHS & DVD as well as a couple of original posters and it ranks as one of my favorite movies. The cars are great to see.

KNIGHTS RULE