IMDb > Things I Like, Things I Don't Like (1989) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Things I Like, Things I Don't Like More at IMDbPro »Foutaises (original title)

If only all films were this length

Author: Iain Stott (stottyla@aol.com) from Widnes, England
30 August 1999

Jean-Pierre Jeunet has created a little gem of a film, a film that can only be a film. As a piece of art it could not be bettered or even equalled by any other media. Trying to produce Foutaises in paint or print or any other media would be a pointless exercise as this is pure cinema. It is very seldom that one comes across such a thing, and with its wonderfully compact running time it is indeed a rare thing. The use of imagery is delightfully inventive and Pinon's rubber faced performance certainly assures us of his character's foutaises. This is what the cinema was invented for.

An innocent feeling of joy

Author: drunk_in_skopje
14 November 2005

"Foutasies" is one of the best short films I have ever seen, the real basis for watching further Jeunet films. A part of the world that this innovative director creates in this film is later developed in Amelie, so if you liked Amelie, you will like Foutasies as well. In this movie, the director gives you an insight to all likes and dislikes of the protagonist (played beautifully by Pinon) but in a very imaginative well-structured order. While we see Pinon's enjoyments and nightmares in black and white, Jeunet gives fine- crafted representations of innocence of children, fears etc, summarizing them all in a delightful ending. In these 8 minutes of duration, Jeunet will manage to pass a very innocent feeling of joy to you and an instant smile on your face.

For lack of a better summary - j'aime foutaises

Author: Carson Trent from France
23 November 2006

I think everybody should try at least once every decade to make a list of likes and dislikes. The result can really be of use in deciding what the next step should be, in this case I believe it defines the author quite well. It's like a canvas, and contains elements which the author will use in his future work(Delicatessen for instance). The short film will carry you thru his memories, likes and dislikes, ties to his homeland and culture but also irony, but most important it's an intimate thought. All this in 7 minutes. It will open the gateway to your own thoughts and emotions, with this simple, universal truth: - we are canvases ourselves, and the outer world casts a reflection upon us, molding us.

Clever Short

Author: Michael_Elliott from Louisville, KY
25 April 2016

Foutaises (1989)

*** (out of 4)

Clever seven minute short from director Jean-Pierre Jeunet has a man talking about the things he likes and the things he hates.

That's pretty much all of the "story" here but Jeunet does a very good job at telling it in a rather clever and fun way. Basically we see the man say what he likes or doesn't like and then we get an example of it. There's some funny stuff here including the reaction once he pulls out a nose hair. For the most part there's nothing ground-breaking here but the film is still quite good and it will at least keep you entertained throughout its running time.

Fun to watch and listen to

Author: Thomas (filmreviews@web.de) from Berlin, Germany
11 September 2015

"Foutaises" is a French black-and-white film that runs for 7 minutes and was made over 25 years ago by Jean-Pierre Jeunet. The actor in here is Dominique Pinon who I like a lot. Pinon and Jeunet reunited for "Delicatessen" shortly afterward and for "Amélie" a lot later. In this little film here, Pinon tells us random facts what he likes and what he doesn't like. And we see (not always) fitting images compared to what he tells us. The film is a bit controversial of course occasionally, for example with what we see on the wall where the girl is playing ball, but controversy is nothing new for Jeunet. All in all, I think this is a decent watch. Very French film in terms of style and atmosphere, so make sure you catch subtitles if you don't speak the language. I recommend it. Final snippet of information: Jeunet's co-writer here is Bruno Delbonnel, one of the most talented cinematographers currently working.