Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back
Page 9 of 82: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

To Quote or not to quote... well I can't bloody help it...

Author: SachiiSez from Australia
3 June 2015

You know a movie has had a real effect on you if you start using it's lines to answer people during your day-to-day routines:

"I'll try and be home on time." Me: "Do or do not. There is no try."

"I love you" Me: "I know."

"Did you hear they are making a live-action Dragonball film?" Me: "Nooooooooooooo..."

Me: *walks over and pets the cat* *cat takes a swipe at me* Me: "Laugh it up fuzzball."

If my brain has chosen to repeat these words then I obviously have a connection with it. Why fight it? ^_^

Incredible StoryThis

Author: mrmutz from Lakeland, Florida
29 May 2015

This film is incredible. I am so thankful for George Lucas and his boldness in writing it. I have watched quite a few documentaries on the Star Wars series and each documentary gives me more and more appreciation for the three films that came out in the 70's. Lucas took quite a risk with the Star Wars franchise and it (obviously) paid off for him. If you haven't, I would definitely suggest looking up some of these documentaries in order to see what the project was actually like when it was first made. The crew and cast describes it as a lot of chaos and self-doubt until its first debut when it gained its cult following. The way that Lucas wrote and directed these films is a tribute to his true genius and success.

One of my favorite movies(along with The Phantom Menace)

Author: trooper5783 from United States
17 May 2015

The Empire Strikes Back is one of the few movies I call pitch perfect. Everything is flawless- the action? Edge of your seat! The drama? Heart-wrenching and powerful! The comedy? Frequently clever and hysterical! The special effects? Better than A New Hope, and then some! As for the 2004 DVD version, it still has the original flavor of the theatrical cut, the touches are few, and still has most shots from the original version. Also, may I add that all of the characters are perfectly developed and lovable, villain or hero. Han Solo is a great character in this, all because of his charming and awesome performance by Harrison Ford. My favorite character from Star Wars is Chewbacca, and there is no exception here. The stop motion animation done with the AT-ATs and the Taun-Tauns still are amazing today, and the wonders of the ship battles are just as beautiful. Overall, Empire is my favorite Star Wars, and one of my favorite movies. It has everything- heart, humor, action, drama, suspense. I highly recommend you see this one(if you haven't seen it already).

The Empire Strikes Back, With a Vengeance!

Author: mmallon4 from United Kingdom
4 May 2015

The Empire Strikes Back is my least favourite of the original trilogy, I guess I just prefer the more light hearted nature of A New Hope and Return of the Jedi (plus when has darkness become a measure of quality?). But calling it my least favourite is like saying this pizza with 19 slices of pepperoni is it not as good as this pizza with 20 slices of pepperoni.

Imagine if Star Wars went in the direction of The Planet of the Apes franchise? It's a miracle the studio had no input into the film, creating the movie sequel all movie sequels aspire to be. But it this also due to Lucas not having any input into the writing or directing of the film? Right from the start you can tell the characters are much deeper than the first film. Han and Leia are simply one of the greatest romances in all of cinema. The classic tale of two who pretend of hate each other but are secretly in love, a trope as old as cinema, it's no surprise the two are posed in the manner of Rhett Butler and Scarlet O'Hara on the film's poster.

The planets in Star Wars are like characters themselves, and Degobah is the perfect example of this. There's such intimacy and poignancy to the scenes on Degobah. Yoda really is a perfect creation, like Obiwan, you do wonder if everything he says is full of crap when you break it down, but it doesn't matter. It's just a shame the perception of the character has become bastardized because of the prequels

What is it about stop motion that is just endlessly appealing to look at? The way that is doesn't have the full fluid motion of live action movement but not to the point that is looks choppy.

Although the darkest, The Empire Strikes Back is the funniest of the series. C-3PO constantly telling people about the improbability of escaping the situation they're getting themselves into never fails to get a laugh. Plus the movie keeps teasing you that you're going to get to see that iconic jump to light speed shot from the first film, making it all the satisfying when you finally do get to see it.

"I am your Father", the most well known piece of pop culture knowledge. Is there anyone in the civilised world who doesn't know Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's father? Should we try and preserve the secrecy of these plot twists so future generations can enjoy the surprise.

STAR WARS Saga continues..................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Author: abhi lash
30 April 2015

STAR WARS:Empire strikes back,The second installment in original trilogy and i must say it is best in the series and perhaps greatest sci-fi flicks ever made . Irvin Kershner and George Lucas comes together to make this iconic film which is shot beautifully,even though it was made nearly 35 years ago the visuals still hold up and will for ages to come.More than visuals it is the depth of the story that makes this a masterpiece.

The movie starts off from the end of episode 4,where rebels are pursed by the empire after destruction of death star.Rebels are forced to establish a secret base on ice planet hoth.After the imperial AT-AT walkers attack their secret base,princess Leia,Han solo ,chewbacca and C-3PO escape in millennium falcon while Luke and R2-D2 go to the dagobah system to receive training from master Yoda and become a Jedi.Luke must decide whether to complete his training or go save his friend who are now captured by evil Darth Vader.The final fight between Vader and Luke will surely blow your mind .And finally breathtaking music by john Williams.

Empire strikes back is best trilogy even though New hope and return of the Jedi are perfect.Forget the disastrous prequels and go watch the original trilogy when Lucas was at his best.

One of the best excellent films of all time!

Author: joshuadrake-39480 from Springfield, TN
27 April 2015

STAR WARS EPISODE V: THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK is just a film that shows all of the qualities of a good sci-fi movie should be made, but also, how to make the best movie that is perfection. Overall, I think this film is a masterpiece and one of the best films of all time and this is why, but first, let me explain the film's story.

The film is set three years after the fourth film (which was the first film released in the saga), this was the second film released in the saga, but the film is chronologically the fifth installment in the overall STAR WARS film franchise.

The Galactic Empire, under the leadership of the villainous Darth Vader, is in pursuit of Luke Skywalker and the rest of the Rebel Alliance. While Vader chases a small band of Luke's friends - Han Solo, Princess Leia Organa, R2-D2, C3PO and Chewbacca - across the galaxy, Luke studies the Force under Jedi Master Yoda. When Vader captures Luke's friends, Luke must decide whether to complete his training and become a full Jedi Knight or to confront Vader and save his comrades.

This has grown in esteem to be the most critically acclaimed chapter in the STAR WARS franchise and it is now considered one of the greatest films ever made and in 2010, the film was selected for preservation in the National Film Registry by the Library of Congress for being "culturally, historically and aesthetically significant." The story is an epic one and plots just almost everything you wanted to see when spaceships are flying round perfectly. There are scenes of comedy, but this a lot more darker and serious. The one thing that shocked me was when Darth Vader tells Luke, "I am your father".

The main cast returns to good form and probably even better before, Mark Hamill does good and improves and although he isn't as good as he was in the first STAR WARS film he was in, but he really does very good. Harrison Ford does great and he is amazing as Han Solo. Carrie Fisher as just great and she gets better in this film and when she and Harrison Ford are on screen together, I just think of Anakin and Padme, Bella and Edward and Rhett and Scarlett from Gone With the Wind.

George Lucas does not direct or write this film. Irvin Kershner directs and his style is really good and the script is written by Lawrence Kasdan and Leigh Brackett create a script that has to be a very good script and really it's a great idea for a second STAR WARS film.

The visuals and music improve overall and some space sequences are really great as heck and I got excited when I saw the lightsaber duel between Luke and Vader, I just got excited and it was a really amazing thing.

Overall, I love THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK and I give it a 10 / 10 and I will conclude my STAR WARS original trilogy review with STAR WARS EPISODE VI: RETURN OF THE JEDI.

The absolute best!

Author: Ruairidh MacVeigh from United Kingdom
27 March 2015

Although Star Wars Episode IV was groundbreaking, as a kid I always loved to see Star Wars Episode V, as basically it took all the things developed in the first movie, and built on them to create something 1,000 times better like a good sequel should, rather than just retracing the steps of the previous film. Although my family didn't own Episode V, my brother's friend did, and surprised me when I was about 6 years old by bringing over Episode V in secret, and I adored every last minute of it!

So what's the deal? After the destruction of the Death Star in the previous film, the Empire gained its revenge, and the Rebel Alliance was scattered across the Galaxy in a bitter chase. Now on the ice planet of Hoth, Jedi Luke Skywalker is told in a vision to go to the planet of Dagobah to learn from a mystical Jedi Master known as Yoda. Meanwhile, the Empire determines their location, and after a vicious fight between the ill-equipped Rebels and the Empire's AT-AT Walkers, the group must flee the planet, with Han Solo and Chewbacca taking Princess Leia and C-3PO in a desperate bid to escape the Imperial blockade aboard the Millennium Falcon, whilst Luke and R2D2 journey to the swamp world of Dagobah to find the mysterious Jedi, all while being pursued by the vengeful Dark Lord, Darth Vader, obsessed with turning Luke to the Dark Side.

As I said, rather than retreading the first movie like many sequels do, the Empire Strikes Back takes all the elements from the first movie, the fantastic models, the gripping action, the story, the characters, and expands on them. The development of the characters, such as romantic relationship that you can genuinely believe between Han and the Princess is established, Luke is trained in the art of a Jedi, being able to control and channel the Force, and Darth Vader's truly evil powers are built upon, now being a ruthless leader of a frightened Army.

The story is also one that throws you on so many loops. I've watched this movie a million times so nothing surprises me, but if you're watching for the first time, there are many things about this film that will give you a shock, or take you by surprise. I of course wont name them, but you'll see what I mean.

The action sequences have also been massively improved since the last movie. Whilst the battle above the Death Star, though long, was impressive, the battle against the AT-AT's in the snow with the stop-motion movement of the Walkers and the fight of the Snowspeeders is just so good it's practically real. Every individual piece is manipulated and choreographed to perfection to create a truly awesome fight scene. The lightsaber battles too have been made more energetic, and take place on a wider range of locations, as well as the mastery of the Force and powers that it entails being developed heavily.

Overall, I consider this both my best Science-Fiction film, but also my best film of all time. A film that even today has me hooked, and continues to be the awe and inspiration of so many even 35 years after it first hit the big screen. I recommend this movie to everyone, because it appeals to just about everyone!

One of the best films ever

Author: owenmul from United Kingdom
27 March 2015

The Empire Strikes back is the best of the original trilogy, as well as being the best of the entire series. Its so good that it is on my top ten films of all time. It manages to switch between the cheery space opera tone of the original film with added darkness and despair.

The characters this time around are given much more screen time to grow and develop, being ever more three-dimensional. This depth of character is what adds to the first film and makes it so much better than the rest of the series. It shows the good and the evil, the greed and corruption and the tyranny that grows within the corners of the of the Star Wars universe.

The cinematography, score and special effects remain quite consistent, moving on from those that were present in the first film. The only exception of this is the special effects, which have been slightly spruced up since the first film.

The story itself has become a lot more brutal and unforgiving, without moving into spoilers, it fully embraces the dark side of the force and fully explores the darkest corners of its plot.

It is because of the emotions stirred in Empire that the entire series takes on a mythic quality that resonates back to the first and ahead to the third.This is the heart of the franchise, this is the peak. Everything that has been added and built upon from the first film is fantastic, there are no conceivable downsides to this space epic.

More Reviews at: http://12yearsacinephile.tumblr.com/

The Great Galactic War..

Author: matthew scot
25 March 2015

**Warning! Spoiler Information Inside!**

After Star Wars (1977) changed film history , the movie of the year was given to Woody Allen for Annie Hall (1977). Go Figure. Undaunted ,by the clear resistance to change Hollywood insiders posed , George Lucas pushed forward and released The Empire Strikes Back (1980).

After the swift destruction of the Death Star , the Empire is in full pursuit ,after discovering the rebels new base the fight is on. Our hero,Luke Skywalker is now an essential component to the rebellion , however he remains unaware how key he is to his movement. Much is at stake as Skywalker (Mark Hamill),faces the ultimate evil in Darth Vader and learns the horrible truth.

Fantastic direction (Irvin Kershner) and dramatic writing are further enhanced by the increased acting chops of returner Harrison Ford (Han Solo), and support from newcomers Billy Dee Williams (Lando Calrissian)and Kenneth Colley (Capt./Adm. Piett). It goes with out much statement that the effects are top notch. The flow is sheer perfection ,the framing paced at speeds appropriate for almost every scenario. There are a few obvious goofs but they hardly detract from the heavy engrossment the storyline causes the willing viewer.

Of the six (more to come) that have been released , I rate Empire as the franchises top entry , almost flawless as film , almost. The Empire Strikes back was also the first film I ever saw.

Worth watching. Over and Over.

Four Stars(of 5.)

this is a good movie.

Author: dantruongcn2007 from Vietnam
11 March 2015

For the 1977 film, see Star Wars (film). For other uses, see Star Wars (disambiguation). Star Wars is an American epic space opera franchise centered on a film series created by George Lucas. The film series, consisting of two trilogies (and an upcoming third), has spawned an extensive media franchise called the Expanded Universe including books, television series, computer and video games, and comic books. These supplements to the franchise resulted in significant development of the series' fictional universe, keeping the franchise active in the 16- year interim between the two film trilogies. The franchise depicts a galaxy described as "far, far away" in the distant past, and commonly portrays Jedi as a representation of good, in conflict with the Sith, their evil counterpart. Their weapon of choice, the lightsaber, is commonly recognized in popular culture. The franchise's story lines contain many themes, with strong influences from philosophy and religion.

author: http://www.internetvietnam.net/