IMDb > The Apple (1980) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Apple

The Apple More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

"Farenheit 451: the musical.

Author: ptb-8 from Australia
17 December 2007

Never released in Australia, and we get every terrible film, I am now, in 2007, quivering with delight. My new DVD copy of THE APPLE arrived today and I gleefully shoved it into the player.... and it did not disappoint. More ghastly than I could have wished for, THE APPLE made in 1979 as the monstrously mashed together mix of TOMMY and ROCKY HORROR and PHANTOM OF THE PARADISE and LOGANS RUN and FARENHEIT 451 and HAIR...with CANT STOP THE MUSIC campiness, the XANADU dancers, and ZIGGY STARDUST eyeshadow, frosted wavy hair and lyrics poached from the first 8 bars of quite a few Beatles songs as 'new' songs (as another comment noted: ended up sounding like jingles from deodorant commercials) THE APPLE is a film you must see, the make everyone you know see while you watch their reactions. It is more fantastic to own than ELECTRIC BOOGALOO or LAMBADA or SALSA put together! And I own all those too! THE APPLE is more berserk than all those film mentioned above, ground into fluorescent dust-chalk and blended with glitter and then swallowed... and the result the next day is what I saw on DVD. Made in an unfinished shopping mall in East Germany by mad Israeli mogul Mehaheim Golan from the famed Cannon Films shed, THE APPLE is c colossal collision of Eurovision and a projectile vomit. Read all the other comments, including the media ones... and then realize we are being kind to this film. It is deliciously worse than everything you will read. As Lina Lamont said in Singin in the rain:" I liked it!"... the irony in 2007 being that MGM sold that wonderful musical to Warners and now represent THE APPLE instead.

The Apple BITES! Watch it anyway, though....

Author: Poseidon-3 from Cincinnati, OH
1 December 2004

Proudly taking its place next to "Can't Stop the Music", "Xanadu", "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" and other breathtakingly bad musicals is this rapturously awful piece of celluloid punishment. This one tops all of the aforementioned flicks in the heinousness department because the others, at least, contain some modicum of memorable and, even good, music! Released in 1980, this film is set in the far-flung future of 1994. Music (and apparently most everything!) is controlled by a huge conglomerate called BIM. During a World Music Festival, Stewart and Gilmour, two young, folksy types, pit their sappy love ballad against the over-the-top, synthetic music of Kennedy and Love. They come close to winning the competition, but the evil head of BIM (Sheybal) rigs it so that they lose. Realizing their potential, however, he attempts to sign them to a record deal. Stewart foolishly gives in while Gilmour stands his ground. Once he sees what the money, drugs and sexual excesses are doing to her, he attempts to break her away from BIM. The rather basic plot line takes its cues from The Bible, but is souped up with Rocky Horror Show-style hair, make-up and costuming topped off with ludicrous production design and some of the most dreadful, ear-assaulting production numbers ever to be captured on film. The story is slight to begin with, but is barely allowed to play out in between the endless, increasingly-bad songs. The numbers include a trip into hell, a plethora of couples writhing and posing on beds, a thoroughly zany enforced-exercise sequence and several tacky onstage concert sequences. Fans seem to be split on which songs they like or hate more...the disco-esquire BIM songs or the love ballads cranked out by Gilmour. None of the songs in the film are particularly memorable though, even if one can't get the imagery that goes with them out of one's head! It is astonishing that Stewart could actually carve out some type of career after this. Her fresh face and amiable persona somehow won out. She actually enjoyed a fairly healthy TV and movie resume in the wake of this film. Gilmour dropped off the face of the earth entirely, apparently. His singing isn't all that bad and he had a sexy body (shown off to good advantage at several stages of the movie) but he could not act at all and occasionally resembles Will Farrell! Kennedy and Love were also virtually obliterated by this turkey. Love was quite awful, but Kennedy actually appeared to have a certain amount of talent and presence and it's a shame she was sunk before she even got started. Sheybal had a long career as a character actor and he always strikes a distinctive note, but his singing here is disastrous. Ackland pops up briefly near the end and also can't sing, but manages to provide a little presence in a dual role. The film makers believed that 1994 would bring huge gas-guzzling cars with pointy ends and lots of paraphernalia attached, but aerodynamics actually won the day. However, their insight into the way the music business has evolved isn't all that far off the mark! Useful as a party-enhancing laugh machine. Look high and low, far and wide, but it is unlikely that a more splendiferously hideous film will be found.

Audaciously Wonderfully Bad!

Author: rube2424 from New York, USA
15 November 2003

Probably made as a "please God, let what happened to ROCKY HORROR

happen to us!", project, THE APPLE is so audacious, so over the top, so

totally awful that it is simply wonderful. The songs are cheesy, the

acting horrendous, the costumes nightmarish, the concept bizarre etc.,

etc., but when all those negatives are put together, the result is a

positively guilty pleasure to top all guilty pleasures. Please, someone,

release a letterboxed DVD of this film so that all its rocky horrors

squeezed onto the small screen can be seen in all their garish terrible/wonderfulness.......

Always bad but never boring.

Author: FeverDog from Center of the Universe
12 February 2003

Here's a godawful "futuristic" musical from 1980 that takes place in 1994 (which gives you an idea of just how campy it is), about an evil record executive debauching a naive couple from (no kidding) Moose Jaw, Canada. There's some kind of religious allegory here and there throughout the murky plot, and the songs must be heard to be believed. (One is a basically unveiled ode to the orgasm, which makes me wonder how the movie got a PG rating.)

THE APPLE is CAN'T STOP THE MUSIC (the music-world milieu) meets ROCKY HORROR (innocent couple corrupted by bizarre characters), and it liberally "borrows" scenes from everything from BEYOND THE VALLEY OF THE DOLLS to HAIR. And, oh my, the costumes. I wouldn't know where to begin describing them, so all I'll say is that camel-toe was apparently stylish for both men and women at one time.

Which is all another way of saying that THE APPLE is the newest camp classic that I must add to my collection, and I thank Showtime Beyond for unearthing this craptastic pop masterpiece. (A widescreen DVD would be nice, though.)

I was there!

Author: lynnekjacobs from california
22 February 2004

I was stationed with the USAF in West Berlin when this was filmed. (There are W. Berlin landmarks in the film, even though it's supposed to be New York.) My husband was an aspiring actor and always showed up at auditions when something was being filmed. He got a part as a newspaper reporter and general all-round extra, and I got a part as an extra, too. In fact, many of the extras in this movie are service members stationed in Berlin (this was before the Wall fell, so there were Brit soldiers stationed there as well, thus explaining many of the Brit accents). We had an apartment, so some of the dancers came over to hang out and chat, to escape the hotel rooms, Finola Hughes being one of them, as well as Catherine Mary Stuart (my husband REALLY enjoyed escorting her around the base!). One of the dancers, named Dave, said the filming of the hell scene was just "magical." The costumes were pretty cheesey and poorly made; my husband probably still has the silver baseball cap he wore as a reporter and the silver epaulets... It was a lot of fun to be a part of and I'd love to have a copy of it (when I saw it on TV several years ago, I couldn't find myself in the crowd scenes!). It was great reading other comments about this movie -- I didn't think anyone else in the world knew about it!

One of the finest "Bad Movies" in existence.

Author: geekzapoppin from United States
4 February 2007

Words cannot express the joy I get whenever I sit down to see THE APPLE. I first experienced it in the best way possible, at an all-night movie marathon with a group of film fanatics. Everything about this film is so grossly over-the-top and gaudy that you just have to marvel that it was ever produced, much less released. I don't want to give anything away, but it is best described as Faust covered in glitter. The music is bad, the acting is worse and the direction is out the window. It's glorious! The lyrics to the songs, though earnest, are so clichéd that they illicit unintentional giggles with every line. The leading man is supposedly from Moosejaw, Canada but mysteriously sports a German accent. The height of future transportation is apparently a station wagon with extra lights attached. You can tell that Golan/Globus (yes, them) thought they were making a sincere statement about the power of love to conquer evil, as there was seemingly a decent budget on the film. Most of the musical numbers are large, crowded affairs and dancers don't come cheap. In summary, any film that features God coming down from the sky in a Heavenly Cadillac is okay by me!

Something this bizarre cannot be dismissed so easily.

Author: gridoon
14 October 2003

Vapid (largely due to the male lead's inability to act - not surprisingly, this was his only film), bizarre fantasy-musical-allegory. It gets points for its sheer audacity and the effort that was put into it - it was probably made on a relatively low budget, yet it manages to create a world of its own; apparently it was filmed in Germany, but it seems to be taking place on another universe altogether. For some reason, it reminded me of "Zardoz" (yes, and "Logan's Run" too): these movies are so bizarre that they belong in a league of their own, beyond "good" and "bad". Best song: "If you know how to be a ma-ster". (**)

hey, hey, hey...BIM's on the way

Author: dougprinz from Burbank, CA
31 May 2003

In this age of putrid merchandised crap like Britney, boybands and AMERICAN IDOL, it's refreshing to see what America would have looked and sounded like in 1994 if a truly fabulous madman like Boogalow was in charge.

The look of this film is shiny and bright, it's loud and disturbing, it's sometimes hard to watch...but I'd also hard to look away. All the holographic triangles...the multi-colored hair...the "futuristic" baby strollers, drinking glasses, automobiles...this is the America that we were promised in 1980 and somehow we were sadly deprived of.

My favorite sequences are Bibi & Alphie's "rain" duet; Pandi's big "sex" number, Bibi & Pandi's "morning after" duet and of course, Mr. Topps' arrival...I just love how "god" basically tells Boogalow and the audience that the hippies were right...that peace, love and living in caves (without television) is the true road to salvation.

I like to describe this movie as LOGAN'S RUN meets HAIR, but it's more like everything good and bad about the 70s all in one big sloppy package. Speaking of packages, could George Gilmour's Alphie have any tighter pants?

I'll cast my vote for "Speed" as our new American anthem, screw "Gold Bless the USA"...

"Do the BIM!"

"The Apple" is a horrific embarrassment for all concerned.

Author: Mike Lancaster (worstfilms@aol.com) from Los Angeles, California
12 September 1998

A sure contender for worst film of the century, "The Apple" isn't just bad, it is insufferable. Set in futuristic 1994, this musical is basically a lame excuse for some very bad actors (except Catherine Mary Stewart in her feature film debut!) to dress in really campy outfits and sing really, REALLY bad songs. The whole mess looks like a bad outtake from "The Rocky Horror Picture Show." The story: Two innocents enter a worldwide songwriting contest. The couple is unaware that the "Star Search"-type global broadcast has been rigged by the evil Mr. Boogaloo, a man who wants to take over the world with his "Bim" music. Don't ask. In short, THIS MOVIE SUCKS. You have been warned. When we ran this awful film at the Paramount Theater (now the El Capitan) in Hollywood in November, 1980, the film's distributor, Cannon Films, gave us souvenir soundtrack albums to give out to the first 1,000 customers on their way in. After the first show we had to stop giving the records out because the few customers that paid to see this disaster started throwing their 12" vinyl LPs at the movie screen during the film. No rips in the screen, just big dents, thank goodness. We then tried to hand the records out after the screenings, but most people refused to take them. In the end, we had cases and cases of the albums left over, which Cannon Films retrieved a year later to ship to some unsuspecting theaters in Israel.

Glorious Melange Of Bad Taste, Stolen Plot Themes, And Horrible Songs.

Author: jehaccess6 from United States
9 January 2009

This truly horrid film is loaded with entertainment value! I have watched it several times and always find new and inventive aspects to offend and amaze me. Obviously the screenplay liberally steals themes from countless bad films and mixes them with themes from scripture. Who else would consider having surgeons break into a dance number in the middle of an operation?

I enjoyed the musical efforts from Catherine Mary Stewart. I was all set to praise her singing talent until I read some external reviews that reveal she merely lip synced her songs. Why am I surprised at that? She does have a fabulous figure here. Those legs are to die for!

The scene where Bibi is tempted to sign the contract with Mr. Boogaloo to enjoy the results of show business success made me consider that Catherine Mary Stewart took a bite of the apple in real life to appear in this movie. I doubt that she wishes anyone to remember this film she made in the early stages of her career.

I was impressed by the linguistic abilities of Vladek Sheybal. He was obviously fluent in at least four languages. He had a sly expression of delight as he portrayed his over-the-top character, Mr. Boogaloo. I remembered him portraying the heavy in 'Shogun' and 'Red Dawn'. I had no idea he was capable of so much more.

I am glad I recently came across this gem from the dark days of Disco. It was truly worth the price of the DVD to see such an appalling piece of crap that nevertheless makes you want to enjoy the guilty pleasure again and again.

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]