IMDb > Nine to Five (1980) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 7 of 8: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Fun, but also interesting

Author: paul2001sw-1 (paul2001sw@yahoo.co.uk) from Saffron Walden, UK
23 July 2006

'Nine to Five', a fun little film about office politics, also makes some serious points about sexism in the workplace. What's interesting is that the (always believable) stereotypes on view here appear dated: do people really behave like this any more? Probably not, and yet sexism is anything but dead. In some ways, the crass prejudice here almost seems to belong to a sweeter, more innocent world than the one we live in now, women may have a better chance today of successfully playing the sophisticated games needed to succeed, but is life really any better for the straightforwardly naive? It's an extreme comparison, but watching this film made me think of Neil la Bute's utterly horrible 'The Company of Men'. That film is a nightmare, this one a fairytale; the truth may lie somewhere in between, but it's worrying to think that the latter came first.

Fine office comedy

Author: Jim Michaud (jimbo429@hotmail.com) from Brunswick, Maine
13 September 2003

"9 to 5" is a fine (but woefully dated) office comedy with a slight feminist edge. The person that let me down the most in this film was Jane Fonda. After larger than life roles (like Bree Daniels in Klute) this role as Judy Bernly was a disappointment. Ms. Fonda is so mousy and meek in this. Ironically, the person who is most at ease in her role is the rookie of the bunch, Dolly Parton. The first half of the film is fine, with superb dialogue (Peggy Pope is perfect as the office drunk). The second half (when they keep the boss captive in that bedroom) is when the plot unravels (just a bit). We are transported from realism to cartoonland (literally, in Tomlin's case). The film was shot in Toronto. One scene that gives it away is the Dominion Bank sign in the background when a vehicle is driving up the street.

Very dated, but one of the funniest comedies ever

Author: Jon (ssgtjon@hotmail.com) from San Antonio, Texas
4 September 2002

I just saw this movie recently for probably the first time in 10-15 years and realized how much has changed in the workplace in terms of technology and equality of the sexes. The sounds of clackety typewriters, buzzing phone lines, and copy machines that take up an entire room are now deceased remains of not too long ago. And even then in the early 1980's, the majority of women working outside the home took more traditional "female" occupations, with little hope for advancement. Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed all three female leads, but especially Dabney Coleman's b-hole boss. In today's workplace, much to the credit of Miss Anita Hill, he would have been gone in a heartbeat The company the ladies work for is nondescript, even an "Ajax warehouse" is thrown in. Lily Tomlin is terrific as an exasperated section supervisor and working single mom constantly getting the short end of the stick. Other comical roles I enjoyed were Dabney Coleman's clueless wife and a nosy section manager. Sterling Hayden does a self-parody at the end as an autocratic CEO. Nothing Academy Award worthy, just wonderful check-your-brains-at-the-door escapist entertainment.

Brilliant, Cheeky Fun

Author: kali-10 from LA, CA
8 February 2001

I love this movie, it is witty and an instant classic. Does anyone besides me see the connection to the Matrix. Dabney Coleman as agent, Lily Tomlin as Morpheus, Jane Fonda as Trinity and Dolly Parton as Neo. Breaking the bonds of slavery with a touch of S&M thrown in...

THE FUNNIEST MOVIE I EVER SAW!

Author: scoobyg69 (scoobyg69@aol.com)
5 January 2000

When people ask me to name the funniest movie I ever saw, I answer "Nine to Five." Most movies have one cleaver joke, and they build an entire feature around that one joke, which becomes of so UN-funny after about 20 minutes. But THIS movie is SO SMART! It never hammered in on one joke, it just kept punching out new ones, one right after another. I laughed so hard, I had to go back three more times, just to get all the jokes. I can still watch it today and laugh, which is what a REAL comedy is suppose to do. Take a tip hollywod, just because something is newer, doesn't make it better. Dolly, Jane, & Lilly are COMIC QUEENS, and this movie proves it!

Coleman is Genius!!!

Author: Tim Cox from Marietta, OH
3 March 1999

Dabney Coleman's sexist pig is the only thing worth watching in this entire film. Although he's a bigot and a liar, you love Coleman's cold-hearted character with every scene he sticks his nose into. His delivery is damn near perfect. Colin Higgins' direction is adequate. Then again, so's the script. The female leads are odd: Tomlin was fine until that silly Snow White sequence. Who thought of that? Fonda is horribly miscast as an actress trying to be a comedienne. I don't buy it, Jane. Only Parton grabs comic attention because of her pleasant personality and that oh-so cute smile. Her belting out of the title song is also quite delightful. Elizabeth Wilson and Marian Mercer are also quite lovely in small roles.

Simply the best movie ever!!! A definite 10!

Author: countrymusicfan1 from Kansas City, KS
22 July 2002

We knew Lily Tomlin was a great comedienne, but what is unexpected was Dolly Parton's natural comic genius. After a great intro song the three ladies and the supporting cast were lovely. Dabney Coleman plays the boss to the hilt. Not many movies will ever match up to this one. A truly unique comedy that is timeless!

Still Hanging High, As One Of The Most Classy Of All Comedies!

Author: Vertigo-27 from NC
8 August 1999

With as much 'strict critic' approach as you may try, this is nonetheless a hillarious movie!

Winning in all aspects, with Dolly Parton, in one of the best debut performances ever given on screen, is excellent!

Movie about 3 hard working office women being used and over worked by a cruel boss, in which without planned they get even with... in the most unusualest of fashions.

Pumps a good theme song, charecters which hold their own, and a brilliant comedy story.

Easy to like and unforgettable. Tell me again why they don't make more movies with this kind of winning humor?.... hmmmm now that's something to think about...

Two quibbles

Author: budikavlan from Irving, TX
21 October 2002

I have always loved this movie. My favorite thing about it is the way the women become friends and band together to make their world a better place (through VERY unorthodox means). A cavalier viewer could say the ends justified them--I'll leave that up to the conscience of the individual. The beginning is great: the relentless and hopeless drudgery of the office is simultaneously shocking and familiar. I found the "fantasy section" a bit silly and overindulgent, but as it set up the following section, it was worth including. And the last part, where the three reform their office and make everyone happy, is well up there in a list of fulfilling endings. I only have two little problems with the film. I hate to undermine such a fulfilling ending, but the increased productivity obtained by their innovations would likely have been short-lived. Not that they were wrong to make the changes: the atmosphere in the office had been unacceptable and counterproductive. But any huge improvement in work quality is extremely difficult to sustain over time. Employees would grow inured to the changes, with few left to make in the future. They've "shot their wad," so to speak. The other quibble is a small one: in the pursuit of cheap laughs at the end of the film, they undermine the situation they've set up by telling us how the three women leave their jobs. It's as if at the end of "Pretty Woman" a title card had told us "They broke up 6 weeks later and Julia went back to prostitution." I felt ever so slightly betrayed.

Dated but still quite funny

Author: Wayne Malin (wwaayynnee51@hotmail.com) from United States
18 December 2004

Three secretaries (Lily Tomlin, Dolly Parton and Jane Fonda) work for a sexist pig of a boss (Dabney Coleman). One day Tomlin accidentally poisons his coffee with rat poison...and then things go barreling out of control.

I saw this back in a theatre in 1980. I thought it was hilarious and very well done. Seen now it's VERY dated (typewriters are used and Tomlin has to wait a MONTH to get invoices!) but it's still very funny. The script is well-written and well-directed by Colin Higgins (especially during the fantasy sequences). The casting is also letter perfect--Parton is terrific in her screen debut and Tomlin matches her word for word. Fonda isn't that good but her role is pretty bland anyway. Coleman is also wonderful as the sleazy boss. And the opening sequence with Dolly Parton's Academy Award-nominated title song is just great!

Times have changed since this was made. Coleman's character wouldn't get away with any of the things he pulls in this movie nowadays (thankfully). And it does get more than a little silly and unrealistic at the end...but the three stars keep it on track.

Worth catching--I give it an 8.

Page 7 of 8: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]