Nine to Five (1980) Poster

(1980)

Cheesy 80s fun!
misslv8018 August 2004
"Nine To Five" is one of those classic 80s comedies which was what made the decade so fun as far as movies go. Jane Fonda plays Judy, a recently divorced housewife who lands a secretarial job at a corporate office. Lily Tomlin is Violet, the beleagured supervisor at the office who shows Judy the ropes on her disasterous first day. Dolly Parton is Doralee, a secretary whom everyone at the office thinks is using her - ahem - "assets" to get ahead by sleeping with the boss.

Soon these three become best friends and team up after they've gotten fed up with their chauvinistic and smarmy boss Mr. Hart, played to the hilt by Dabney Coleman. Sure, it does delve into zany corniness, such as the scene where they all get high on pot and share their fantasies about how each of them would like to knock off the boss (the funniest is Violet's "Snow White" coffee one, which uses cartoon animation and live action) or the scene where Violet thinks she accidentally poisoned Mr. Hart's coffee with rat poison and tries to steal his supposed dead corpse out of the hospital! This is the kind of movie where you check your brain at the door and take it for what it is.

There are some great one-liners like the one where Fonda tells her ex-husband, who thinks she's having a kinky S&M affair with Mr. Hart, something along the lines of, "If I want to do M&M's, that's fine with me!" The office they work in is reminiscent of the one in "The Apartment". Three very clever characters, great comedic acting from Parton as Doralee and Tomlin as Violet. Jane Fonda, who I never cared much for, was good as the naive Judy. Sterling Hayden has a great cameo at the end as the "Chairman of the Board". A funny revenge comedy about Every Office, U.S.A.. You gotta love the theme song, too. Most recommended!
42 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Perfect Performances all the way around!!!!!!!
peachesrox23 July 2001
From the sparkling acting debut of Dolly Parton to the comic genius of Dabney Coleman 9 to 5 is one of the best acted comedies of the 1980s. Jane Fonda and the brilliant Lilly Tomlin round out the lead cast with hilarious performances in this screwball revenge comedies that was one of the first films to champion "girl power". Even the smaller characters like Marien Mercer (as Missy Hart)and Elizabeth Wilson (as office snitch/bitch Roz)get in good one liners and laughs. Rent this movie. No wait - BUY this movie. You can watch it again and again.
21 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Hilarious Comedy Stands The Test Of Time
E. Catalan8 January 2006
I never saw 9 TO 5 when it played at the theaters but saw it soon after on video. I was like 14 years old back then and I remember enjoying the film very much, even if I didn't get all the misogynistic humor and women's lib stuff. Fast forward to 2006 and I decided to buy 9 TO 5 on DVD and see the fun again. After all, I haven't seen this one on TV in a LONG time and my local BLOCKBUSTER is sorely lacking a "classics" catalog. I knew in my mind that some of the movies you hold so dearly when you're a kid simply don't "cut it" when you see them all grown up. I am very pleased to say that 9 TO 5 has stood the test of time quite well and its "it's a corporate world" underpinnings couldn't be more appropriate now a days. The movie was cleverly written and directed and the humor develops naturally without looking forced or too acted out. It's the story of recently divorced Judy Bernly (Jane Fonda). Her ex husband ran away with his secretary and now Judy, ironically, finds a job being one. The company is called Consolidated Companies, which by the way, we never really know what they do or what they sell. We only know that it is a big company and that each floor of the high building is a "division". Frank Hart (played wonderfully by Dabney Coleman) is the villainous boss and head of the division. He is, as his right hand aide might put it, an "egotistical bigot". Hart's overwhelming tyranny makes his aide, Violet, to snap and with her go Judy and Dorlee (Dolly Parton), his voluptuous personal secretary. The trio spend the afternoon together drinking and smoking pot and jokingly thinking how each of them would "kill" their boss if they had the chance. The movie visualizes each of the secretary's outlandish fantasies and this part of the movie is one of the most entertaining and hilarious. Next day it's back to the real world and back to the daily grind. From here on each of the secretaries' fantasies take real form in some way or another making the movie even more fun. You'll have to see the rest to know what I mean. Despite being a 25 year old movie, 9 TO 5 stands the test of time perfectly, with only some of the cars and some of the clothing fashion looking a bit dated. It is a very well made, fast paced comedy that never bores. My wife loved it and she had never seen it before (she was barely a year when this came out!). 9* out of 10!!!
23 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
gruesome but cute
ripleys122 February 2004
I first saw this movie on HBO around 1981. Now, as I re-watch it again for the 20th time, it still has me laughing at all the hysterical lines, "....change you from a rooster to a hen....", "....gruesome but cute....", "It looks just like Skinny & Sweet....I might as well save them the trouble and give them the rat poison....", and all the rest of this wildly funny movie.

This movie is timeless. Including all the actors who are the perfect choice for this movie.

This comedy is a definite 10 out of 10!!!!
16 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fully of classic one line quotes you'll be laughing for ages.
mat-tuck23 May 2004
This has to be a true classic movie for anybody. Parton, Fonda, Tomlin play the three main characters set in a big business office block, "Consolidated". Dolly Parton is excellent, portraying the country girl, Jane Fonda as the divorced housewife's first job role, and Lily Tomlin as the bosses stepping stone. The film is full of one line crack jokes which can be missed on the first time you watch it. Do watch the movie a few times, and soon you'll pick up on how funny the lines are "Violet, did you get my Memo?", "I did Roz, I tore right through it".

Later in the film the plot is well underway and animation is combined successfully with Tomlin's scene of a Snow White type character!

I loved this film, and my laserdisc copy is always on the top of the pile. A good all rounder to be watched over and over, and I sometimes find myself using those punch lines.

Dolly Parton provides the "9 to 5" opening music, which sets the movie off to a good pace.
15 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Hilarious Office Angst.
tfrizzell6 July 2002
Three miserable women (Dolly Parton, Lily Tomlin and Jane Fonda) take it upon themselves to get back at their evil boss (Dabney Coleman) in this hilarious little film. Rat poison, crazy dream sequences and S&M-styled equipment are the main calling cards in this amazingly creative little comedy. Parton's title song is also strong and it received an Oscar nod in 1980. Impressive comedic fare. 4 stars out of 5.
9 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This is why you should join a trade union!
melwyn31 January 2004
I first saw this film as a kid when it was in the cinema. I must have watched it more than a few dozen times since then. As a kid I simply loved the comedy, and the way our three heroes triumph over the Boss from Hell. As an adult I've found it's a great way to cope after a terrible day at work: beer, pizza and 9 to 5. When you've got the Boss from Hell, then this movie is your fantasy. I feel like I'm getting revenge on my boss from the comfort of my own home!

Parton, Fonda and Tomlin make a fantastic team. There is obviously an incredible chemistry at work between them. Along with Dabney Coleman they play their fantastic characters to the hilt, right up to the edge of "over the top" without actually jumping off. At the same time the dramatic moments in the film fire up their (and our) sense of outrage at the conditions they must work under, giving the story a kick along at exactly the right moments.

Apart from being horrendously funny, it is a stark reminder of what sort of conditions prevail in a workplace without a union to represent staff. I've been working for 14 years now and spent many years as a trade union delegate in my workplace. So much has been gained in the last 20 years that it is now not uncommon to encounter young, naive employees with no idea of history, asking "So, why should I join the union? What's the union ever done?". Look at this movie, look beneath the comedy, and see exactly what a workplace can be like without a union.
14 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Excellent Movie
scrufffles19 March 2005
This is an excellent movie. Funny as hell, a bit twisted and psychedelic at times, and close to the reality of cubicle working. It shows the different personalities of people who come together working in an office environment. It is based in reality and how disenfranchising a job like this can feel, quite hopeless. The fantasies of the workers against their sexist, lying, hypocritical bigot of a boss are played out in playful talk. These dreams/fantasies are not to be missed and are quite surreal, that's one of the best parts of the movie. But then they actually do concoct a scheme to expose their boss' mishandling of company funds. It's a struggle to the end to out him until the ending where they don't have to do anything at all. The problem of their boss of taken care of for them in an unexpected and very fitting way.
10 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Did you notice...
davidz1123 July 2002
***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** This is a great movie! One of my all time favorites from childhood, I've enjoyed this film every time I've seen it - even in the theatre as an 8-year-old who probably missed all the jokes. Lily Tomlin is the most talented here of our three heroines, with great work from Dolly Parton and Jane Fonda, and of course Dabney Coleman and others. The action flows well, leading from hijink to hijink, indignity to indignity. If you've ever had a butthole boss in an office where the secretaries knew exactly what to do... this movie will resonate with you! Also check out director/screenwriter Colin Higgin's other work, notably "Harold & Maude". It's all good.

SPOILERS!

Did you notice... - All of the fantasies of revenge on Hart come true? (Violet poisons his coffee, Doralee ties him up, and Judy shoots at him)

• During the "old fashioned ladies' pot party," Dolly Parton is NEVER shown on screen smoking a joint?

• Anyone ever guess what city we're in? I'm pretty sure it was filmed in L.A., but factors like the "home office in New York", Hart's house being way off the road, the mix of people in the office, and Doralee mentioning "a rodeo in Dallas" make me guess it's probably Houston.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Occasionally perceptive office comedy eventually becomes arms-flailing cartoon
moonspinner5528 September 2005
It had to happen: for two-thirds of its length, "Nine to Five" is a sharp, satirical, recognizable put-down of work-a-day life "at the office", but in its later stages it becomes a silly revenge comedy, and then a message piece. The messagey last act is the real bummer, with three secretaries taking over their work-place and transforming it into a politically correct nightmare. Jane Fonda is Judy, a just-divorced woman new to office work, and her starchy appearance and nervous manner aren't really all that funny (she's immediately cold to secretary Dolly Parton on the basis of office gossip alone); her character's big flub in the copy room is an example of director Colin Higgins' use of silliness--and it's not even to make a point (the Xerox machine goes cartoonishly haywire and Judy just looks like a jinx). Lily Tomlin is much better as Violet, a 12-year team player who keeps getting passed over for promotions--but why she would even want to be promoted into a den of thieves and liars is never really made clear. Dolly Parton is dazed but not frazzled--she's just pleasantly zonked as Doralee, whom everyone thinks is sleeping with the boss (Dabney Coleman--who only shines in the fantasy sequences; his Mr. Hart is a tiresome tyrant who, of course, is not just a show-off and a cheat but an embezzler as well!). Terrible-looking movie with an excruciating background score manages to get laughs with some canny writing (in the first hour or so) and because of Tomlin's dead-on impersonation of a working widow with kids who just wants her dignity. But the plot-twists in the second-half take the picture off-track, leading to a storybook ending that is commercially driven--and not even in keeping with the cynical, satirical tone of the early part of the film. **1/2 from ****
8 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Unsurpassed.
Genevi Landon17 September 2009
I am a 31 year old man, married to a high-powered corporate secretary. Her favorite film is Nine to Five. I never understood this until the past year. It NAILS what is STILL going on to our women in the workplace. Lily Tomlin is absolutely perfect in her role as Violet, and she is really at the heart of the movie. Her struggle is that of almost any honest, hard-working mid-level manager. This is not feminist propaganda by any stretch -- in fact I am extremely impressed by the humor with which this movie is pulled off. Dolly Parton is so awesome, so hilarious. Dabney Coleman embodies pure sleaze, and although it pains me to say this, many "executives" here in 2005 are almost identical to him. Obviously he is a ridiculous chauvinist bastard, but so are thousands of these guys in corporate America (and elsewhere) -- and they do it with impunity and without a sense of humor. Thank God for Nine to Five!
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"Poured Myself A Cup Of Ambition"
bkoganbing3 May 2010
While watching Nine To Five, I couldn't help but think about the Billy Wilder classic film, The Apartment. Part of the plot of that film was Fred MacMurray, a more polished version of Dabney Coleman from this film who also used his office and position of authority to behave like a real pig. I thought about poor Shirley MacLaine who tried to commit suicide and eventually found love with Jack Lemmon, but both faced an uncertain future albeit with each other.

Shirley and the other of MacMurray's victims should have seen this film and taken a lesson from Jane Fonda, Lily Tomlin, and Dolly Parton who start as strangers and end up as allies and who find a way to get even with Dabney Coleman for using and abusing his employees.

All three women are different, different in real life and playing different types of characters in the film and at the beginning not really liking each other because they don't know each other. Tomlin is the efficient office manger who makes Coleman look good because he takes credit for her work. Fonda is a new employee who had to go back to work because her husband left her. And the beautiful and curvaceous Parton is Coleman's secretary who Coleman is trying to jump her form and the folks in the office think he already has.

But eventually these women make common cause and what they do to Coleman is an inspiration to working women everywhere.

As good as these women are the film would go nowhere without Dabney Coleman who makes a specialty of playing men you love to hate whether in comedy or drama. He's as big a sexist pig as MacMurray and a whole lot funnier.

The supporting cast has some real interesting roles as well. Elizabeth Wilson plays the office snitch and anyone who has ever worked in an office you can count yourself lucky if there are only one of those in your place of work. And they don't have to necessarily be women. I also liked Marian Mercer as Coleman's completely clueless wife. And movie veteran Sterling Hayden comes on in the end as the chairman of the board of the company who in his own earnest, but clueless way settles all their problems.

To Dolly, Jane, and Lily who took action for put upon employees everywhere, we did love you in this film.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A classic comedy that has a few good laughs.
Arlis Fuson10 January 2010
I have watched this movie a few times and never really thought it was that funny, but it's still fun to watch and good for a few laughs.

Its about women that work at a company and their boss is a jerk and they end up giving him a taste of his own medicine, and try to get the respect they deserve.

The acting is really good. Dabney Coleman is one of those 80's stars that plays a good bad guy, not really evil, just unlikeable. Dolly Partin is lovable and fun to watch in comedies and her down south wit really shines here. Jane Fonda is so-so and does little for me. Lily Tomlin is the best thing about this movie, she has the funniest lines and made me laugh out loud several times, gotta love her.

I could recommend this to anyone that likes 80's comedy. I like the movie but it has things about it that I don't like. It starts off great and has a nice flow and then everything starts coming together all at once and made me care less about the characters. They all have little fantasies about what they would like to do the boss and although 'cute' I just thought it slowed down the flow of the movie. As the movie goes on it once again picks up and the funniest things happen and then once again it slows down, only to wrap up in a quick manner thats too good to be true.

4 out of 10 stars, but give it a try if you haven't seen it. I think depending on ones mood it may be more or less likable.
9 to 5-Work Was Never This Much Fun ***
edwagreen30 September 2009
No question that this is a very funny movie thanks to the gifted performances of Jane Fonda, Lily Tomlin, Dabney Coleman and Dolly Parton. Parton's Oscar worthy song 9 to 5 immediately captures a positive mood in this tale of 3 women who gang up on their miserable boss who has subjected them to sexism in every sense of the word.

The real surprise in this film is Fonda's performance. She goes from a woman who acts and dresses as if she is a spinster teacher to one who is quite hip.

There are some silly moments when the 3 women imagine how they will get rid of boss Dabney Coleman. The mix up at the hospital, though inane, is needed to keep the story going.

A wonderful film depicting the changes of roles of women in the workplace, changing conventional ways of doing things in the office, and a marvelous cat and mouse relationship made by the women and Coleman to get the goods on each other
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Three secretaries' fun revenge on their chauvinistic boss
roghache17 March 2006
This is a cute, fun movie where three very different secretaries extract, most humorously, a gruesome revenge on the inconsiderate, chauvinistic boss who treats them abysmally. Nothing serious, just laughs, other than a (humorous) memorial to women's struggles in the workplace.

The three secretaries are quite diverse, but share a common desire to give that sexist, egotistical boss, Frank Hart, his comeuppance. Jane Fonda convincingly plays Judy, a recently divorced housewife, who is just now timidly venturing forth into the corporate world. Lily Tomlin shines as Violet (not shrinking), the smart but put upon, unappreciated supervisor who shows Judy the ropes, and Dolly Parton (my perennial favorite) is the sweet, well endowed Southern gal, Doralee, who is assumed by many to be sleeping her way to the top.

The plot moves along ridiculously from one set of crazy antics to the next, both fantasies and actual revenge tactics. My favorite scene is the one where the intimidated Judy must do battle with the photocopy machine, which of course has a mind of its own. I totally identified, being quite nontechnically minded myself. Of course it's also pretty funny when Violet thinks she's inadvertently murdered Hart by poisoning his coffee with rat poison. I seem to recall that at one point the ladies have Hart all trussed up.

It's not memorable or rocket science but kinda fun. As one reviewer noted, check your brain at the door. The lasting legacy of the film is, however, Dolly's cute and catchy tune of the same name.
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Very Enjoyable
liammurphy110 October 2004
I know it's a 'chick-flick' but I can't help but like this 1980 Comedy about 3 women played by Jane Fonda,Lily Tomlin and Dolly Parton (who also sang the titlesong) who work as secretary's for a mean,horrible,sexist pig (a tailor made role for Dabney Coleman) who decide enough is enough and so plan their revenge.

I've heard of this movie for quite sometime, but didn't watch it because I didn't think it was my cup of tea, How wrong I was, I thoroughly enjoyed this movie from start to finish

The movie is quite dated (all the ladies use typewriters-which have since been turned into antiques by the onset of Computers.

It's well Directed by Colin Higgins who had previously Written and Directed the equally enjoyable Chevy Chase-Goldie Hawn Crime Comedy 'Foul Play'.

Followed By not one but TWO TV series based on the film 1982-1983 and 1986-1988 without the Stars and probably suffers as a result

all in all a very enjoyable 1980's Comedy that was a major hit on it's original release 24 years ago.

My Rating ***1/2 out of ***** or 7/10
5 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
for anyone who's ever hated their boss
Lee Eisenberg9 May 2005
Ever wanted to take revenge on a really creepy person? Well, Jane Fonda, Lily Tomlin and Dolly Parton do just that in "Nine to Five". After their undesirable-in-every-way boss (Dabney Coleman) threatens to have them arrested after a misunderstanding (it's a long story), the three take him hostage and institute progressive policies in the office.

Especially a hoot is the mixture of characters: Jane Fonda is the mousy newcomer, Lily Tomlin is the goof-off, and Dolly Parton is the hillbilly. No matter what happens, they always have a solution, even after a bizarre mix-up in a hospital.

I recommend this to everyone.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Dated but still quite funny
preppy-318 December 2004
Three secretaries (Lily Tomlin, Dolly Parton and Jane Fonda) work for a sexist pig of a boss (Dabney Coleman). One day Tomlin accidentally poisons his coffee with rat poison...and then things go barreling out of control.

I saw this back in a theatre in 1980. I thought it was hilarious and very well done. Seen now it's VERY dated (typewriters are used and Tomlin has to wait a MONTH to get invoices!) but it's still very funny. The script is well-written and well-directed by Colin Higgins (especially during the fantasy sequences). The casting is also letter perfect--Parton is terrific in her screen debut and Tomlin matches her word for word. Fonda isn't that good but her role is pretty bland anyway. Coleman is also wonderful as the sleazy boss. And the opening sequence with Dolly Parton's Academy Award-nominated title song is just great!

Times have changed since this was made. Coleman's character wouldn't get away with any of the things he pulls in this movie nowadays (thankfully). And it does get more than a little silly and unrealistic at the end...but the three stars keep it on track.

Worth catching--I give it an 8.
4 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"Violet honey, can I see you for a second?"
canuckfcuk8 April 2005
LOL! If you like screwball comedies and sarcastic humour, this is the film for you. All three actresses are perfect in their roles (Dolly Parton's first movie role) and deliver some of the best lines ever.

"Will you two quit arguing and think of a way we can get our hands on some cement!" Very dated in it's theme (sexual harassment isn't mentioned ONCE; and the fact that everyone though that Doralee was 'screwing the boss'basically because of the way she looked like is never addressed) it still has enough 'timeless truth' to it to relate to modern audiences.

Funny, funny, funny.

"Well it looks just like 'Skinny and Sweet', except for the skull and cross bones on the label."
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Chemistry
jaydf601 March 2005
A battle between management and workers with a feminist twist is burdened only with a silly kidnapping the boss scenario that takes the majority of the film down a path only survived by the great, great, great chemistry of the three stars. Although the role of Judy is is written rather thinly Jane Fonda's acting is as good as it ever was, playing the mousy Judy with pitch perfection. Lily Tomlin a fantastic actress with an impeccable sense of timing (along the lines of TV greats Beatrice Arthur and Marion Lorne) plays Violet, who runs the office yet gets no power with great aplomb. And best is Dolly Parton as the office bombshell, plays her part with great charm and no-nonsense. Parton's first acting role (and has no training whatsoever) is superb, look at the scene in the hospital where Fonda is trying to calm Tomlin down, Dolly is so into the tension you think she will explode. Fonda, Tomlin and Parton's chemistry will not let you down. Nice supporting work from Dabney Coleman (boss), Peggy Pope (office lush), Marian Mercer (boss' slow wife) and the great Elizabeth Wilson as Roz the office stool pigeon. Always root for the underdog.
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fun but fluffy
funkyfry24 January 2011
Although this movie (or maybe just the title song) seemed ubiquitous in the early 80s when I was a young kid, you don't really hear people talk about it anymore and somehow I managed to never see it until now. I guess it's a "zeitgeist" film (did I get that right?), a film about a social movement that might not seem as urgent today. In 1980 this was an edgy movie, but today most the material would be tame for TV.

However, it still has some weird laughs... I enjoyed some of the dream sequences, especially Dolly Parton with the lasso capturing Dabney Coleman the "sexist, egotistical, lying, hypocritical bigot" boss. My wife and I both thought that Coleman and Parton were the most fun to watch in the movie. Fonda was trapped in this ridiculous character, a 1950s housewife stereotype brought into the modern era, and she never finds her footing or does anything interesting in the inevitable scene where she becomes a "modern" outspoken woman. Lily Tomlin does some good acting (the scene where she half-heartedly resists her teenage son's offer of a joint is typically solid), but her character didn't really take off for me either. But at least she covered it up better. Parton's just having a good time and it's a bit infectious. Coleman, one of our great under-rated character actors, has more to work with her than usual. He has several different layers of nastiness, and at least one layer of sympathy.

I think the project is good, but just short of being really memorable or classic. I found the plot very thin generally, and that once the office situation and the characters had been set up so well there was nowhere up for the movie to go. The hospital sequence and the scenes in and outside of the car were tedious, and there are too many scenes of Coleman in his odd S&M getup. I would have liked to see the film maybe a bit more episodic, instead of settling into that whole story-angle about the rat poison for the entire length. Also I think the film's formula is too rigid and it ends up restricting the characters. The zany scenes clash too much with the serious scenes and it makes the whole thing feel a bit haphazard, because it's not directed with any vision that would have united them.

With the story going so far and so long into the whole hostage situation, my sympathies weren't sticking completely with "the girls." The film tried too hard to make them heroic, despite all the bizarre stuff they were doing to Coleman's character. A good example would be the big confrontation I mentioned between Fonda's character and her ex-husband (Laurence Pressman). The way I saw it, he could easily have been a sleaze.... he obviously was to some extent, because he ran off with the secretary and so on. But nothing he does or says in that particular scene is so outrageous, that we should really jump to Fonda's side and cheer when she tells him off..... as we're obviously supposed to do, en masse. Unlike in somewhat similar films about office and sexual politics such as, say, "Election" and "Office Space", the protagonists are simply right in this movie and whoever gets in their way is wrong. Don't worry too much about the details, or expect any introspection along with the character development, because this movie ultimately is about female empowerment in the most generic sense of the term. I found it fun in a lightweight way, but it was too comfy with its own assumptions and the farce was too broad to completely please me.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Classic in every sense of the word
jcravens429 May 2010
When this movie came out, it was revolutionary: absolutely everyone was talking about it, across the political spectrum. The casting was jaw-dropping: Dolly Parton and Jane Fonda in a movie *together*?!? It built a tremendous amount of anticipation for the film. But the excitement didn't stop at the opening: once it came out, word-of-mouth for this film packed theaters across the USA, even in the Southern USA. The public spoke with their wallets: they LOVED this movie.

30 years later, the film stands up to the test of time. This movie is not only still hilarious, with all the jokes still making for side-splitting moments, the commentary on what a quality work environment is, and the need for rights for women in the workplace, is still utterly valid.

A film that deserves the term "classic".
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It almost seems quaint to see all those typewriters at the office...
Neil Doyle10 October 2006
NINE TO FIVE starts out with a good idea for a comedy involving such able players as JANE FONDA, LILI TOMLIN and DOLLY PARTON in a story about three secretaries who are fed up with their boss--the male chauvinist pig from hell--DABNEY COLEMAN in the film's funniest performance. He's a pencil dropping boss who likes to see Dolly crawl on the floor for obvious reasons.

But after awhile it becomes a little tiresome. Fonda's character is just a little too innocent to survive more than a day in this kind of streamlined, sophisticated office, Tomlin is a schemer out to avenge all the men she trained who got promoted, and Parton is always amazed that men notice she's wearing sweaters two sizes too small for her bust. And the humor is so obviously of the '80s era, with feminism and sexism as rampant as Women's Lib jokes.

It passes the time quickly as an average comedy with a nice title tune sung by Parton, but it's nothing special. Biggest laugh getter is Coleman as the boss who infuriates the girls to the point of being kidnapped so they can rearrange things at the office in his absence.

Final note: There's something quaint about seeing all those typewriters on every desk (Selectric IBM's, I presume) instead of computers.