IMDb > "Magnum, P.I." (1980) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Magnum, P.I."
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Magnum, P.I." More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Tom Selleck's Finest Hour

Author: Big Movie Fan from England
27 May 2002

Boy, do I love 80's shows. They had everything-action, women in bikinis, bad guys, cool cars, they had the lot.

In my opinion, this series was Tom Selleck's finest hour. Magnum P.I. lived in a mansion in Hawaii where he had to put up with Higgins who was looking after the house for Mr. Masters. Both had respect for each other obviously but they were always getting on each other's nerves and Magnum also had to put up with two dogs-Zeus and Apollo if my memory serves me correctly-who didn't like him at all.

Of course, like most 80's heroes Magnum had a cool car which he used to parade around Hawaii solving all types of cases involving crooks both small-time and big time. Magnum used to investigate the cases and then engage in a good old fight at the end.

All in all, a good show. And who can forget Magnum's shirts?

The very best on TV - ever.

Author: Marco Smetz from Brueggen, Germany
2 October 2002

Magnum,P.I. was and will remain the best TV series ever. It had it all: action, humour, tragedy and characters you believe in. No TV series will ever reach Magnum,P.I.'s quality. To all who have been involved in the creation of this fabolous icon of the 80s: Thank you!

Great Show

Author: mm-39 from Winnipeg
30 May 2003

The first couple of years the show had too work the glitches out. Once they got the formula right this was an entertaining show. There were some memorable stories, I like the one with his quarterback friend Darcy. This show had a budget that todays producers would salivate at. A Ferri, a chopper, a mansion, and great locations. Tom Selick grew as an actor in this series, and the 80's over the style is missed with todays shows. Who care's who gets voted off the island, or people making out in the bathroom on the show Friends, I rather watch a show with production vaule, professional actors, directing, and some fun. Time well spent on A&E

The Heir to Rockford

Author: Brian Washington (Sargebri@att.net) from Los Angeles, California
14 May 2004

Magnum to me is pretty much the logical heir to Jim Rockford in the fact that many of the same themes that were so prevalent on Rockford were on this show. Magnum to me was an ordinary guy who got caught up in extraordinary situations just like Rockford, but unlike Rockford Magnum still had many of the trappings of glamor that were associated with other detective series (ironically, Tom Selleck made several guest appearances on "The Rockford Files" playing the too good to be true Lance White). The other thing that I think made him endearing is the fact that he pretty much had a regular guy persona even though he was living in the lap of luxury and even though I wasn't as big a fan of this show as I was "Rockford" I can still see why this show was a classic.

And another thing, it wasn't just Selleck. This show could also be seen as an ensemble with Roger Moseley as T.C., Larry Manetti as Rick and, of course, John Hillerman as the stuffy Higgins all giving wonderful supporting performances.

The Best Show Ever!

Author: Cajungirl from LaPlace, LA
17 January 2001

I loved watching this show in the '80's as a teenager and still love watching it today. Every time a cable station picks it up for syndication, I'm a devoted viewer. Sometimes I'm even surprised by not recognizing a particular episode. Like today on A&E, they aired the 'The Legend of the Lost Art' episode which I don't think I've ever seen. The show never did lose it's edge with great humor, story lines, beautiful scenery, and not to mention wonderful actors. I don't think they'll ever be a detective show that will compare. I hope it lives on in syndication forever.

T. Magnum and the life of a slacker

Author: kingsizemars from United Kingdom
17 November 2005

Magnum, where can I start? well, during a summer of inactivity and unemployment I stumbled across this gem on daytime TV, after just one episode i was hooked, the powerful theme and the twitch of the eyebrows,I rearranged my schedule (job centre appointments, job interviews etc, etc) to fit in around Mr Sellecks greatest moment, it got so bad that I had the theme on my phone and would get my friends to phone me, they never understood but when genius enters your life what can you do? I watched the repeats recently and felt alive again, I think there's a bit of Higgins in us all! I even remember falling off my sofa when Bruce Forsyth turned up on a game show Rick was on, if only modern television met such high standards

more than a t.v. show

Author: roberto viscovich (viscorob) from trieste
27 October 1999

Why do I like this t.v. show? First of all Tom selleck is not an actor, he is Magnum P.I. (unforgettable the episode where is lost in the ocean and risked to be eaten by jaws) Second point: Higgins is a perfect characterization of british irony. Third: Hawaii. Fourth: Ferrari. Is that enough?

Sagging PI! Not!

Author: gazzo-2 from United States
4 January 2000

This show is a lotta fun, A and E started running it of late, and tossed in a Magnum Marathon New Years weekend. Very good! Love the 'Raiders' spoof episode, everything with Orson Welles making a cameo at the end(the Real Robin Masters, by the way..), Sinatra's guest starring role, TC and Rick, etc. Higgins was well played by a Texan if you can believe it too.

They do NOT make them like this anymore-what is the closest you can think of? Nash Bridges? And even that isn't up to par compared with Magnum. Fine cast, great locale, humour, etc. by all means, watch this on A and E if you get the chance.

*** outta ****, one of my faves from the '80s.

The best performance by a guest star....

Author: suzangrace from atlanta, georgia
5 January 2004

I have watched from the day it started, to the day it went off the air. Many episodes affected me deeply (Lily, death of Michelle, killing the corrupt officer, etc.), but the episode that touched me the most was the one in which Frank Sinatra guest stars as Mike Doheney who is looking for the killer of his lovely grandaughter. I cried my eyes out as he stood at her grave in the end of the movie. It was very moving. I felt Frank Sinatra once again pulled off an excellent performance. He was excellent!

Just thought I'd pass it along.

s.

I know what you're thinking...

Author: Brian Ellis from Chantilly, VA
20 October 2002

...that I would bash this show. Well I can't. How could one forget Magnum's psychic link when he went to England or when he gets stranded on the island that doesn't welcome visitors or the all time worst one: the Ivan and Cookie episode. Ugh, for years just saying "cookie" with a Russian accent would make me laugh. Yeah, the episodes that were marked serious were pretty bad but the light-hearted ones more than made up the difference. Magnum's trip to L.A., the treasure hunt, Higgins and Magnum's feud, Magnum as a hotel detective, the P.I. award that didn't matter to him because he wanted to solve the murder of the French detective that he didn't even like, were great stories. That last episode was particularly good as a lot of the more fun guest stars of the past participated. Candy Clark's Leslie should get special mention as the best of all the guest stars as the hooker that means well but doesn't listen to anyone. As for the regular cast: all good, although Larry Manetti sometimes came across a little amateurish. But this would have meant nothing if the main star wasn't any good. And Tom Selleck was good. He makes me believe that Magnum can look at a video of T.C.'s kidnapped daughter and figure out where she is being held from the reflection of an apartment building in the glass behind her. Yes, Tom Selleck's performance is what makes me watch Magnum P.I. whenever I get the chance.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]