IMDb > "Juliet Bravo" (1980) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Juliet Bravo" More at IMDbPro »

Solid Police series

Author: WelshGoat
8 May 2006

This series was THE Police drama of the early eighties and in many ways managed to be groundbreaking and traditional. It relied on the tried and tested format of studio interiors and location film but also addressed in its time a number of emerging crime issues. The big issue initially was the fact that the Insp was female and yet due to excellent performances from both leading women it was their professional ability that shone through. It did pull some punches and was the first primetime Saturday night series that I recall that dealt with the effects of heroin that was rampant in Britain at the time. Dodgy as it seems my fondest memory is of Anne Cateret stood in her tights ironing her Police skirt. Many a male fan would agree!

Well I liked it - I watched it every week

Author: martinu-2 from North Yorkshire, England
26 April 2006

I think welshNick is rather hard on Juliet Bravo. In my view, some excellent characters were created: Inspectors Jean Darblay and Kate Longton, both striving to be so much better than the male officers around them, just so they would be perceived as being as good as their colleagues; Joe Beck, gruff, stolid but with a heart of gold – especially in episode 2.13 "Catching Up" when he has to choose between doing his duty as a policeman and turning in an old mate for dangerous driving, and in episodes 5.12 "Ducks In A Row" and 5.13 "Resolution" when he is accused of involvement in a death in custody.

The very last episode 6.16 "Reason for Leaving" was intensely poignant, with its atmosphere of "it's Christmas and all's right with the world", following by its shock ending: one of the few times where Kate Longton broke down in tears and oh-so-formal Mark Perrin unbent a little and comforted her.

Yes the production values were a bit naff in places: it suffered from the standard technique, common to many late 1970s / early 1980s programmes, of combining gaudy studio interiors on video with blurred, grainy, flickery, drab film – sometimes with hilarious continuity errors between the two! But I thought it was great.

I wish they'd bring it out on VHS or DVD.

Juliet Bravo

Author: auraovmystery from United Kingdom
11 October 2006

Juliet Bravo reminds me so much of my youth in the early 80's. I watched the series without fail every Saturday night. I did enjoy it more when Stephanie Turner was starring in it, somehow when she left at the end of the third series, the show never seemed the same again. I've recently purchased the Dvds of the show, and it has been a joy to watch all over again. although a couple of the episodes show how dated it is, i find its just enjoyable now as it was then. David Ellison was also good as Sgt Beck, he was very aloof and i don't think he ever got used to a woman in a higher position than him. If people get the chance they should check out the series and they may too find it enjoyable.

Coulda....shoulda....mighta.....but didn't!

Author: geordiesdad from Canada North
23 September 2015

I just had occasion to acquire a full set of this show and was looking forward to something a little different than the usual small town copper show. A woman head was in itself a good idea but realistically for a woman to rise to that position would have required her to be more than great at her previous position and a major flair for leadership. NOTHING in here history that we are aware of tells us this is so and he 'people' skills are severely lacking. The actress chosen is, unfortunately COMPLETELY wrong for the part....they even change her hair style to make her more 'butch' but her demeanor with the troops is that of a den mother not a boss. The writing is, at times EXCELLENT....sadly, far too often negated by ridiculous, preposterous, pompous and chauvinistic scripts reminiscent of the 50's. Most of the rest of the cast is 'acceptable'.....but no-one stands out at all except for Mr Grout who, playing the meager part written for him, overdoes it. All in all it's a complete mystery why such a flavourless and lackluster show could last that many seasons.....somebody must have had some dirt on somebody important. Don't waste much time on this thing.

Truly dreadful .....

Author: welshNick from United Kingdom
25 April 2006

This TV series was churned out by the BBC in the early eighties. It centered around a female inspector, two sergeants and various constables set in the fictitious northern town of Hartley. Everything about this series was depressing, the story lines, the characters and the general drearyness of the landscape. I had to watch this as a child because my mother was addicted to it but why it went on so long nobody really knows. You only find it now on some of the more obscure satellite stations. For old times sake I did actually view one the other day and yes it was just as grim as it had always been. This series took over from Z Cars as the BBC police series. That wasn't very good either ......