IMDb > "Bosom Buddies" (1980) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Bosom Buddies"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Bosom Buddies" More at IMDbPro »

A Glance At Tom Hanks Before He Turned Hollywood...

Author: MovieAddict2014 from UK
7 February 2003

And a delightful glance, at that. Hanks shines in this early television role, as does the rest of the cast. It may not be a classic, but it is good entertainment, and perhaps you can catch it on a Nick-At-Night type channel.

Excellent 80's comedy

Author: haildevilman from Tokyo, Japan
19 July 2006

This is where Tom Hanks' climb got started.

Two men dress in drag so they can stay at an all women's hotel. Why? Their hotel was demolished, while they were in it.

The drag angle gave this a boatload of sight gags to work with. Like when they were wearing wigs, bras, and shaving cream and singing 'Macho Man.' Hanks and Scolari made a GREAT duo. These two worked off each other perfectly.

The late Wendi Jo Sperber and Thelma Hopkins provided great comedy on their own too. Sperber was better than she ever got credit for.

Holland Taylor made a great foil for the humor. However, you almost wanted to like her.

Donna Dixon was the looks. She was beautiful, and still is. I only wish her acting was better. But then, she still did well.

This is one of those shows you wish lasted longer.

This Is It....

Author: Thor2000 from Collinsport, Maine
26 May 2001

....the show that launched the careers of Tom Hanks, Peter Scolari and Donna Dixon, one of the most beautiful women in the world. Inspired by the movie, "Some Like It Hot," two guys pose as their fictional sisters in order to live in all women's hotel. The boys were a funny comedy duo, and Dixon was their Monroe. However, once the premise and the uniqueness wore off, the series was stuck with trying to live up to its own hype which was impossible. The boys ended up losing their secret and starting their own business to try and keep the show going. A sad end to a great series !

Short lived television series most known because Tom Hanks starred in it.

Author: Aaron1375
19 November 2011

This film was about two guys who lived in a dive that ended up being condemned. The place's rent was dirt cheap and they apparently have a hard time finding something in its price range until they stumble upon an all female building and you guessed it, they dress like girls to move in and take advantage of its low rent. And as you can tell by my description it was a premise that could only go so far which is why the show only lasted 37 episodes and would likely be all but forgotten if not for the fact this show starred a young Tom Hanks before movie stardom. This is not to say it was a bad show, it was funny enough in parts, but it was just not built to last a very long time. The two guys dressing like girls worked for a few episodes, but you can only have so many episodes of everything built around the same joke. Near the end they had fewer episodes that did revolve around this and one of my favorite episodes had the two friends trapped in a cabin during a snow storm and they begin fighting over some creamer in the fridge, both fearing dehydration before foolishly realizing that they could melt the snow and have all the water they needed. Tom Hanks is good in this one and of course would become the mega star. Peter Scolari starred as the other friend and he would later go on to be a costar in the Bob Newhart show "Newhart" and appear in a few other television shows so while not having the same success he had a rather good run as well.

One of the most underrated shows of the 80s

Author: cooper-29 from San Leandro, CA
22 August 2002

These guys dressed up before it was cool and it was often hysterical. I have a feeling this show was a bit before its time. Great cast and top notch writing made this one of the few comedy shows on TV that actually made you laugh out loud and was a real cut above most of the shows on back then.

I dont know, maybe if it were done today, it may stay on longer but this went to rerun land much too soon. I have most of them on tape but would love them to be released on DVD someday. Hey, maybe they could even do Bosom Buddies: The Movie and Ton Hanks could direct. How about it?

Great early 80's comedy that shows Tom Hanks just starting out

Author: calvinnme from United States
25 June 2012

Sure, the storyline had been done before in "Some Like it Hot", but I really loved this show. The obvious reason for looking back on it now is to see Tom Hanks "back in the day" before he hit the big screen. After all, he was the only actor besides Spencer Tracy to ever win back-to-back Best Actor Oscars. Wouldn't you be curious if we had 40 or so half-hour episodes of Spence as a young man parading around in a dress in a situation comedy? I know I would. Besides Tom Hanks, the other cast members were terrific, and most had pretty good careers. Peter Scolari (Henry Desmond) had a long run on "Newhart" in the 80's, Donna Dixon (Sonny Lumet) was adequate enough as Hank's love interest on the show, the late Wendy Jo Sperber (Amy Cassidy) was very good as the overweight girl who hoped against hope that Scolari's character would come to love her, and finally there's the early appearance of Telma Hopkins (Isabelle Hammond) who had other comedic roles on "Gimme A Break" and then "Family Matters".

It isn't until the second season that Sonny learns the truth about Buffy and Hildy actually being Kip and Henry, and the dynamics of the show pretty much change completely with Kip and Henry and their old boss starting their own ad agency. After a couple of seasons the show simply ran out of steam because there is only so much you can do with such a limited premise - much like Gilligan's Island.

Great 1980's Memories

Author: jawkneekat from Beautiful San Francisco, CA!
6 February 2010

As a 14 year old boy, sitting in the studio audience of this show on quite a few occasions, many of my earliest Hollywood memories are wrapped around this show. The premise of the show was simple sure enough, but the lead actors really made it come to life. The moments before and after each taping were really memorable. Peter Scolari would always come out to the audience and hang out with us and chat. Sometimes juggle! He was a real sweetheart. Watching the show now brings it all back. How about a Bosom Buddies reunion show? I suppose Tom Hanks probably would like to pretend that the show never happened. Thankfully, the show is preserved on film forever.

I love this show

Author: jessicany46 (jessicany46@gmail.com) from United States
13 March 2007

How silly is this.... I sign up for IMDb because I love movies and my eye is drawn immediately to Bosom Buddies.... I adore this show. Prepsoterous and brilliant. It's probably a huge hit in England, right? Because the English love men in dresses --hee hee... But Tom Hanks is so hilarious in this and I think there is no better show that shows the potential of young actor. In retrospect one can see the tools of his trade being honed. I suppose a case could be made Robin Williams in Mork and Mindy, but wasn't he coked out his mind during the majority of the filming? Plus, I didn't really like the show all that much after season one. Peter Scolari was a great straight man for the show and I wonder what he's doing now. I may have to purchase my first DVD box set -- hee hee.

I was a fan of Hanks and Scolari even then!

Author: Crystal Carrington from United States
1 December 2005

Maybe I was a nerd or something-but I loved this show when I first saw it! And as a teenager; (at the time I was-I remember well; oh well...) I could definitely could relate to the theme song. I loved Wendy Jo too-May God rest her soul. Back then she was chubby and I was too. I still remember when the one whom she had a crush on; Buffy or Hildagarde, the little short one totally humiliated her because he knew she loved him. I hated him for that! But like the previous commenter I have to admit the show fizzled after they let the cat outta the bag about stars. Not a smart move-in my opinion. Nowadays they would've waited for the show finale' to do that. But it was great till then.

Hey, it's not Kafka, but...

Author: sammaffei from USA
18 June 2002

Why does everyone bash this show? Granted, the cross-dressing is basically a cheap vehicle to get you to watch it. But, once you see the great interaction between Hanks and Scolari (lots of from the hip, rapid fire jokes) you'll be hooked. These two guys haven't been funnier since (OK, maybe Hank's Bachelor Party is funnier). Bless TBS for keeping this one alive a little while longer.