IMDb > Drunken Master (1978) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Zui quan

Drunken Master More at IMDbPro »Zui quan (original title)

Page 6 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Get drunk with this Kung Fu comedy...

Author: Paul Magne Haakonsen from Denmark
15 August 2012

Being a fan of Jackie Chan and never having seen "Drunken Master" before 2012 is sacrilege, I know, but I just never gotten around to it, not even with all the high praises for this 1978 movie.

Well, I finally got around to watch it and it was with some expectation and anticipation to it. Was it worth it? Well, yeah it was, but at the same time it wasn't all that I had expected.

The story was fun and well-thought through, about Wong Fei-Hung who is a rascal, dishonoring his father who is a Kung Fu master. As a punishment he is to train with his uncle who is said to be ruthless and mean. The young Fei-Hung is in for some rough training, but eventually comes to see the meaning of the tough training.

"Drunken Master" is more of a comedy (or Comedy Fu, if you will) than it is an actual Kung Fu movie. There is a lot of slapstick comedy in this movie, as is to be expected from a Chan movie. But it also shows off the grace, dexterity and skills of Jackie Chan quite well. However, for the Kung Fu, well it was fun to watch, lots of great movies and funny situations, but wow it was so horribly staged that it was painful to watch at times. It just lacked that natural flow to it, to make it seem realistic and natural. I am not saying that it wasn't enjoyable, far from it, just don't expect it to be all that and a bucket of chicken, because it was really staged from start till end.

This Jackie Chan movie is a definite must have in any DVD collection of any Jackie Chan fan, just don't do the mistake that I did that compare this movie with the movies from the last two decades.

I got a Sony DVD release of the movie from Amazon, and despite playing the original Cantonese language track, it kept changing between Cantonese and some seriously doubtful English dubbing. The dubbing was so bad it was beyond belief, they were even doing racial, stereotypical slur at the dubbing - it was just horrible. Luckily the DVD was in Cantonese most of the time, but when it changed to English dub (by its own will) it was just painful to listen to. These movies are meant to be watched with the original language track. English dubbing always has, and always will, be a horrible experience.

And the ending of the movie, well I was stunned at that. It just ended immediately after the final showdown. It was the most abrupt and sudden ending to any movie that I have ever witnessed.

More wine please!

Author: blackman from preston
22 January 1999

Wonderful, brilliant, fantastic are a few words used to describe this film. This is one of the few Jackie Chan films that have got everything including, of course humour. The Kung-Fu is top rate and it's good entertainment. Let's hope Jackie Chan can get back to this top form.

more than action

Author: Armand from Romania
26 October 2014

the beauty of fight scenes choreography. the humor. the story. a rare film for the precise science to create a charming atmosphere using small pieces of story. Jackie Chan does one of his memorable roles and that fact is result of beautiful art of character nuances exploration. a film about basic values who has the rare gift to be more than a fight one or a good comedy but an inspired mixture of different ingredients who reminds Hong Kong cinema industry inspiration. the honor, the relation master - young disciple, the courage and the force of good are the same like in many films of genre. but something is different. and that detail is important for impose Drunken Master as a real great example of action films genre.

a old dated Chan film but entertaining

Author: julesdil from England
20 October 2014

Drunken master 1979 is old and dated . It was disappointing since it has a reputation to be a Chan classic , it is no classic the performances by a the cast were OK and annoying for a martial art film it does deliver as Jakie and beggar Sui go through training and long term practice so Jakie can master the eight drunken gods a martial art style of drunk mortal fight art. So the comedy of drunken master was fun there are many gags and characters who fight Chan that result in an funny ending , it is annoying that the films quality in every aspect is bad but the film was a lot more fun in 1979 . So it has fun elements and decent effects and martial arts fights of the time but its dull .Jakie in the film plays a comic look on Chinese folk hero Wong fie hung that is boring and yet again he is called Freddie Wong shown in the subtitles .My review drunken master is half entertaining and half dull

a

True Classic

Author: Lashab Virtus
21 September 2014

This movie is classic. Sure it is a great kungfu movie but I think everyone who watches movies not only for entertainment should watch this movie as well. Not the best movie ever made, but on the other hand it is classic Jackie Chan movie, and at least one of the most important movies ever made in Asian Cinema. It's one of those movies which you can see it and then have an exact idea how the movies from that decade looked like.

The movie has funny scenes and some nice fight scenes. I personally prefer teacher-role from "Snake in the Eagle's Shadow", but this one is good as well.

Hilarious and full of action!

Author: joefalcon
23 December 2011

This is the movie which made Jackie so popular. He plays Wong fei-hung (Dubbed as Freddie wong - haha) a 20 year old martial arts student sent to train with his Uncle. He defeats an assassin named Thunderleg. It is based on a true character called Wong fei-hung but you don't need to know about him to be able to understand the movie. Most people just enjoy the movie on its own.

I'd say:

Humour: 9/10 Action: 9/10 Entertainment: 9/10

I love it!

But the acting could actually be a bit better, especially Charlie Way at the beginning. But this is a must-see for any Jackie Chan fan. Watch it now!

Funny and great 70's kung fu film.

Author: gangstahippie from Canada(Montreal, Quebec)
14 August 2006

Rated PG-13 for martial arts violence and language. Quebec Rating:G Canadian Home Video Rating:PG

Drunken Master was the film that made Jackie Chan famous in China.The sequel to this film Legend Of The Drunken Master(which most of us know) was released in 1994 then in 2000 in America.Legend Of The Drunken Master is arguably Chan's best film.This film and Snake In The Eagle's Shadow introduced the now famous martial arts/comedies.Drunken Master is more than just a cheap Kung Fu film from the 70's.It has a better story and its just more funny and good than others.This film is about a young boy who always jokes around and causes trouble.So his father sends him to an old drunk man who teaches him the art of drunken boxing.There is also an assassin called Thunderfoot who is at large.Using Drunken Boxing Chan must kill Thunderfoot and save his father from being killed.Drunken Master is a great Chan film and I recommend it.

Runtime:112min

Starts out great but loses itself in exercising sequences

Author: stamper from The Netherlands
5 September 2004

I must admit that Jui kuen is one of the better martial arts films I've seen from Hong Kong, but it is certainly not one of the best. As a rule I prefer Jackie Chan to Bruce Lee and it was obvious from the beginning. There is a lot of comedy in Chan's film and that, together with the good acting by the cast made a great beginning of the film. Towards the middle though, the film tended to follow standard formula and got a bit boring (as do most martial arts films) as we watched Jackie train and train and train. After that the film just never got back on his feet and even some of the supposedly funny scenes and comments made a somewhat cheesy impression on me. I, for one recommend everybody to go and see Jui kuen II (The Legend of the Drunken Master) which is a real masterpiece and recommend this only to the real martial arts/kung fu fans.

6,75 out of 10 (a 7 given upon voting)

Jackie Chan's Best Movie Ever

Author: James S. (SLjames) from White Plains, NY
12 January 2003

Before I start, I've seen a good number of martial arts movies before and flat out, Drunken Master is the best of them all. To truly enjoy this film, you should purchase the DVD-version. The only flaw comes during the dubbing between the English and Chinese/Cantonese. For me, I much prefer watching films like these in its original language, but even if you set up for Catonese, some of the scenes are still in English. Doesn't matter, it sure won't kill the fun of Drunken Master. Besides all the kung-fu action going on, Drunken Master is simply hilarious with Chan showing that he is a talented actor, both stunt coordinated and comedic. Never mind his horrible US films such as The Tuxedo and Rush Hour 2, Drunken Master is Jackie Chan's best performance ever.

And you know what? Drunken Master has a pretty damn strong supporting cast as well. Yuen Hsiao Tien is absolutely wonderful playing So Hi, or known as Sam Seed in the English version. His ragged persona helps bring character to his "drunken kung-fu" style. There's also great and funny characters such as Bullet Head, Mr. Stick, and Gorilla who happen to play as Fei-Hong's nemesis.

I must admit, Drunken Master lives up to be one of the movies that deserves "classic" status. You have to understand that this movie is part of the Hong Kong film industry which focuses on kung-fu movies. But to me, Drunken Master is way much more than a kung-fu flick. It's unfortunate that this film isn't a cult hit because it easily could have made a following. It's rare to see a film such as Drunken Master to have an emphasis on both martial arts and comedy. Bruce Lee would be turning in his grave if he witnessed Drunken Master, but amazingly, that's what the highlight of the movie is. Don't let this one pass you by, this is a title you would want to keep for a long time.

Classic Chan

Author: Bogey Man from Finland
15 September 2002

Yuen Woo Ping's legendary comedy/kung fu film Drunken Master (1978) was the film that made Jackie Chan finally the star he is even today. Snake in the Eagle's Shadow (1978) by the same people was also a huge hit and popular and gave signs of the forthcoming Chan phenomenon.

There's hardly any plot in Drunken Master, but Jackie plays the hero Wong Fei-Hong, a wild and young boy whose father sends him away from home to the torturous training of Beggar Su/Sam Seed, played again by Siu Tien Yuen, the father of director Woo Ping. He played the same role of the sympathetic old man also in Snake in the Eagle's Shadow. Jackie soon learns the drunken kung fu style, a unique fighting technique, which he eventually uses against those who are planning to kill his father. To be honest, the plot isn't necessary in this film, it is even more unnecessary than in Snake.

The fight choreography and techniques are great to say the least, and those this film definitely delivers! There's hardly any boring moments and there's always something going on. The training sequences are painful looking but also look effective and thus understandable in order to learn the martial art. The fights are very imaginative and funny, and what makes this film even more enjoyable is that it is genuinely funny in most cases and made me laugh or smile, which isn't always the case with Hong Kong "comedies." The humor works, but I think the jokes involving eating and/or puking aren't really funny but tasteless and unnecessary, as well as those stupid face expressions of Jackie's and some others' as they just try to make the film more entertaining and lighter, which I don't think is necessary, because they are too EASY ways and surely appeal to the audience which doesn't really like any more challenging cinema or something more serious.

Drunken Master is not as serious or impressive as Tsui Hark's Wong Fei Hong films Once Upon a Time in China (starring Jet Li), but still I like Drunken Master very much due to the fact that it is funny for most of the time and irritating just occasionally. This film hasn't got many things to say and depict like Tsui's films, for instance, but rarely these comic kung fu films do. They have marvellous martial art fights and choreographies, and on this level, Drunken Master isn't an exception.

Page 6 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]