IMDb > Drunken Master (1978) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Jui kuen

Drunken Master More at IMDbPro »Jui kuen (original title)

Page 4 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Awesome!!!!!

Author: jaylaurie90 from Canada
13 February 2004

This movie is one that made jackie really get noticed. there are so many action sequnces that it is only topped off by the climatic end fight between jackie and whang jang lee.

P.S. jackie was "doubled" in this movie 1 or 2wice. once in the training scene where goes far back is yuen biao. the second i think is when jackie fights the stick king for the second time, i was some kind of acrobatic move also done by biao. But DONOT let that steer you away from this movie jackie still is amazing in this movie no doubt about it!

Most impressive Chan movie...

Author: imusade
23 July 2002

Jackie Chan has established himself as a powerhouse in the martial arts movie business. From his start as a lonely stuntman to his blockbuster U.S. hits, he has done it all. While many people are in awe of his recent hits "Rush Hour" and his US-breakthrough "Rumble in the Bronx", not as many are familiar with the 1978 masterpiece "Drunken Master". If you enjoy watching impressive fighting and stunning kung-fu choreography, you simply must have this movie. Of the nearly 2 hour running time, nearly an hour of the movie is pure fighting. From the goofy monkey kung-fu to the kung-fu of the eight drunken gods, Chan proves that he can give an on-screen martial arts/gymnastic performance that few, if any, can match. Chock full of comedy, fighting, and surprisingly decent dubbing, this movie is probably Chan's best athletic performance ever. Buy it.

Less plot, which is good..

Author: Daniel Mitchell from Calgary, AB
9 January 2002

This is one of the many near-indistinguishable old school movies starring Jackie Chan, all set in the same village, same restaurant, same clearing outside the village, same woods, . . .

The plot here is actually relatively low-key, which is a good thing -- the acting is, as always, pretty sketchy, and the humour is very much a matter of personal taste.

What this movie has going for it over, say, Fearless Hyena, is that there's next to no plot. There's a fight scene, about 30 seconds of plot, more fighting, a tiny bit of plot, more fighting, training scenes, more fighting, a shred of plot, etc. You get the picture.

The fight scenes are, as ever, incredible -- and there's a _lot_ of them. I can't really see anyone watching these films for the plot (though I may be wrong) so this one wins out because they don't waste any time with that, there's just fight after fight after fight..

Strange but still a great Chan!

Author: Super Bob (dr_gennadivolodnikov@yahoo.com) from Springfield, Vermont
11 October 2001

I'm sorry about my other review for this title. My review was actually for the film DRUNKEN WUTANG. Anyway... I recently won this film on DVD and, well, what a film! While of course not as good as the later THE LEGEND OF DRUNKEN MASTER, this film is still funny! I love hearing the wooshing of the wind and slam of the punches. It was very funny! This film answers the question of how Wong Fei Hung (here called Freddy) learned Drunken Boxing. From his uncle, Sam Seed! This is a very great film, and I recommend to all film viewers (except for the picky ones) and a must-see for all Jackie Chan fans!

Watch jackie chan get drunk and beat up kung fu masters with bad hair cuts !!!

Author: The screen dweller from england
9 July 2001

Drunken master is an important film. Not only is it responsible launching Jackie Chan into super stardom , it also revitalized an other wise stagnant kung fu film genre . So is it any good ? well yes it is , its very good indeed .

Featuring some brilliant and inventive fight scenes, well judged slap stick humor and a suprisingly coherent plot line for a film that is really all about fighting , drunken master makes for excellent entertainment . But the entire affair wouldn't work as well without the relationship and training sequences that occur between Jackie Chan and sui tien yuens characters, these moments are among some of the best in the film .

And on the action front drunken master does a good job of giving you a hard time deciding what your favorite fight scene was . Theres that excellent fight scene in the restaurant , the fight with Wong fei hungs aunt , the fight with the king of sticks , the final confrontation ... the list goes on and on.

So if you like your action , choppy , funny and fueled with alcohol, make yours drunken master !

(out of 5) : * * * *

8 out of 10

Author: dragon ma young (DrAgOnMaYoUnG@aol.com)
5 July 2001

now this is good, classic chan. i love this film, folks. everything about it. every punch, every joke, every time that drunk old man hits someone with his stick, every single badly-dubbed word. i have never seen another film that kept a stupid wide grin on my face like this one did. everyone needs to see it.

Jackie at his best

Author: thomashamps from Manchester, England
13 September 2000

Drunken Master is, without doubt, the greatest Jackie Chan film I have ever seen. It is also one that I have seen countless times. It is classic Chan - everything you could ever want. Fight after fight with as little plot to interupt the entertainment as possible. Plus, Jackie's very own brand of physical comedy of course. The fights, as well as being plentiful, are all beautifully and painstakingly choreographed and executed with great style.

The plot is far from original - Jackie is a naughty boy, gets sent to train with his cruel, and drunken, uncle and ends up a master, this time in Drunken kung fu. The acting and script is what you'd expect. The sets are basic and the film quality and sound and hardly top-notch. But none of this stops this being a thoroughly entertaining film. Even my kung fu hating housemates liked it. And that is saying something.

Couldn't stop laughing!

Author: findlay-2 from Middlesbrough, England
5 June 2000

If possible, pick up the widescreen, English dubbed version of this film. If you can, you will see possibly the most unintentionally funny film in your life. Choice dubbing and sound effects make the film a classic!

I picked this film up at Blockbuster after enjoying 'Rumble in the Bronx'. Expect nothing like the polished films that Jackie Chan releases now (e.g. Rush Hour). This is pure, low budget, kung fu nonsense!

A gem! **** out of *****

One of my favorites!

Author: arielle
17 April 1999

Everyone's comments say it all. This movie has incredible fighting and incredible comedy. Make sure to check out the Snake in the Eagle's Shadow which also features the Drunken Master up to his tricks again...he is amazing with those gourds full of wine!

Classic Jackie Chan

Author: Cineman-17 from USA
20 December 1998

As a martial artist, I am a Jackie Chan fanatic. I love the way that the whirl and twirl of limbs (and those funky punching sounds) just makes me want to go out and do a couple of roundkicks to a lightpole.

But as a movie critic, I have cringed at Chan's last few movies (Mr. Nice Guy, Rumble in the Bronx). The story seems a bit too contrived for his action sequences, as if the writers write the scenes based on the choreography, rather than on the story.

Drunken Master was not the case. Sure, there is mindless and drawn out choreographed fights. This is a kung-fu movie after all. But the scenes stick to the story, not to the budget (ie. Hovercraft fight in Bronx) and the characters are colorful and have more depth than three axe kicks and a line of bad dialogue.

Page 4 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]