IMDb > The Villain (1979) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Wile E. Coyote live

Author: John Slaughter from Spirit Lake, ID
31 August 2006

Kirk Douglas, playing the title character of Cactus Jack, demonstrates his great ability to work in a comedy as he becomes the personification of Road Runner's nemesis, Wile E. Coyote. True, lovers of Road Runner and "Beep, Beep" will be left out because he isn't there. But, for those who watch just to see Wile E. get his comeuppance time after time, this is hilarious. This has all of the gags that have made it so much fun for us "older" folk watching the old cartoons. In fact, my 16 and 10 year old daughters love watching this one over and over.

A plot line is added with the beautiful Ann-Margret vamping like mad with Arnold Schwarzenegger as they are pursued by Cactus Jack. You should consider being with your kids when they watch this. It is full of innuendo and Ann-Margret definitely shows off her ample endowment and even a brief display of her legs.

Mel Tillis is the telegrapher. Here, he gets paid for what he worked so hard to eliminate - his stutter. Foster Brooks does his inebriated schtick as the bank clerk. Paul Lynde is the chief of one of the most inept tribes of Native Americans ever filmed. They can't even keep the blankets on their saddles. Finally, Jack Elam puts in a short piece and is his usual dastardly self. For my money, Jack was one of the best western character actors to grace the screen.

A good old fashioned entertaining movie

Author: shirldagirl76 from Australia
11 February 2005

Cactus Jack is one of the most laid back mindless watches that you can enjoy over and again. Arnie does no action and is playing a typical meat-head with a heart. He is naive and when offered a piece of Anne Margaret(Miss Purdy) hes to thick to respond. Kirk Douglas and his horse Whiskey are the villains and comic relief. They fall foul of one another trying to get back at each other for their last battle. A good example of this is when Douglas jumps on Whiskey and tries to outrun the law but Whiskey just sits down. Totally fun but probably the best part of this movie is when the villain finally catches his prey and is asked by Miss Purdy what he is going to do The Villain says he is going to take the loot and ravage the girl she jumps into The Villains arms. How many movies have you seen that has sexual innuendo without the sex scene, humor and the badger getting the girl all with a strong cast. Top Movie.

Hilarious

Author: leahshunter from USA
2 June 2004

An excellent family film! This film is one that needs to be seen more than one time to catch all the one liners. However, if you are looking for an action film, this is not it.

If you don't think a film is good without sex, this is not for you.

If swearing is what makes a movie for you, don't get this one.

Howoever, if you are looking for a clean way to entertain the entire family & like Wile E Coyote, try this one. I ended up buying 2 copies of this film after my son wore out all the rentable copies in our town. We love it!

...And THAT'S a two-by-four.

Author: Scott LeBrun (Hey_Sweden) from Canada
11 April 2017

Are you looking for sophisticated humor? Subtlety? Nuance?

I didn't think so.

If what you desire is an outrageous Western spoof made in the mold of Road Runner / Wile E. Coyote cartoons, then "The Villain" is certain to tickle your funny bone.

Kirk Douglas is top billed as the title character, alias Cactus Jack Slade, an outlaw who screws up time and time again. He's determined but incompetent. He really is like that famous cartoon canine, what with his spectacular lack of success.

Cactus Jack is hired by crooked banker Avery Simpson (Jack Elam) for the purpose of screwing over a miner named Parody Jones (Strother Martin). Parody isn't dumb, though, utilizing his sexpot daughter Charming (Ann-Margret) and the ramrod straight Handsome Stranger (Arnold Schwarzenegger) to make sure that a critical payment reaches its destination.

All you really need to know about "The Villain" is this: special guest star Paul Lynde plays an Indian chief named Nervous Elk. And that's what you can expect in this gleefully goofy, comically sadistic, politically incorrect comedy with gags-a-plenty. Other guest stars include Foster Brooks as a drunken bank clerk, Ruth Buzzi as a damsel in no distress, Robert Tessier as an Indian sidekick, "Mashing Finger", and singer Mel Tillis as a stuttering telegraph agent (Mel also sings the three theme songs).

Kirk is hilarious as a bumbling bad guy, for whom you do feel rather sorry. Ann-Margret is tantalizing as the decidedly horny Charming, who lusts after Handsome Stranger. Arnold is appropriately sincere, and dense, as the supposed hero. Some of the supporting roles are really rather brief (you don't see Martin for long). The ones that tend to steal the show are Lynde, and a horse named Ott as Cactus Jacks' not so loyal steed, Whiskey.

"The Villain" is not always terribly funny, but when it works, it's a riot. There's even a classic "painted tunnel" gag in the Wile E. Coyote tradition!

Directed in style by Hal Needham of "Smokey and the Bandit" and "The Cannonball Run" fame.

Seven out of 10.

Wacky Stuff

Author: FightingWesterner from The Lonesome Prairie
25 March 2010

Director Hal Needham followed up his box-office hits Smokey And The Bandit and Hooper, with this funny, almost forgotten western comedy, clearly inspired by old Warner Brothers cartoons. I'm a bit surprised that they didn't get sued, as many of the gags here are directly lifted from various Roadrunner and Bugs Bunny shorts!

The cast alone is irresistible, with Kirk Douglas intentionally hamming it up as the most evil man in the west and a clueless Arnold Schwartzenegger (in his only western role) unknowingly thwarting both the villainy of Douglas and the sexual advances of a very hot Ann-Margaret.

Several great cameos include Jack Elam, Mel Tillis, Ruth Buzzi, Foster Brooks, Strother Martin, and Paul Lynde as a very nervous Indian chief named (appropriately) Nervous Elk.

Some favorite gags involve Kirk attempting the old painted-tunnel and glue-on-the-railroad tricks, as well as Schwartzenegger's runaway horse story and the hilarious final scene.

Although it's not quite as funny as it was when you were a kid, it's still well worth watching again and again.

Lots of laughs and good clean zaniness.

Author: headhunter46 from Madison, Wisconsin, USA
4 December 2009

I had many laughs while watching this movie, and if you come to it expecting a comedy you will laugh too.

Very mild spoilers but not enough to ruin the movie for you.

Just think of it as a grown up, live action version of Wile E. Coyote and the roadrunner. The gags are hilarious.

It helps if you already know the actors from other serious movies they did prior. To see them cutting up and saying oddball comments is really funny. This is Arnie Schwarzenegger's first film.

I have to salute Kirk Douglas for being willing to land in the dirt, slide down the road eating dust by the ton and take a dunking in the river just for laughs. I don't remember how many times he got dirty in the making of this movie but I bet he had a riot of a time doing it.

He had that goofy, ridiculous grin on his face every time he pulled one of his pranks, and of course they all failed. He was a hoot to watch.

I had rented this movie a couple years ago and thought it was great. A few days ago I got lucky and found a new DVD at Shopko for a mere $10. I watched it twice in the first four days.

There are so many sneaky little jokes that you won't catch them all with the first viewing. And watch the signs too, they sometimes have trick or joke messages.

This is one of those movies that many people can watch again and again without growing tired of it.

Little things like the train that pulls into the station is different than the one the people boarded and the chief rides a huge plow horse while his second in command rides a little donkey are among the subtle jokes.

Cactus Jacks' horse has some great gags too. That is one smart horsey, you'll see. Fact is, I think it is smarter than Jack.

Arnold plays a naive character who makes you groan and laugh at the same time, while Ann Margret is just gorgeous and she appears to be having great fun in this movie.

There is some breathtaking scenery of wide open spaces that remind me of Utah.

Overall good fun. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

dandy

Author: shawshank86 from United States
15 February 2007

this is just a great, fun-filled adventure. sort of a spoof on all the westerns that had been coming out at the time by applying all we've learned from loony tunes. in fact, kirk douglas ends up bouncing from the roof tops hooting and hollering like daffy duck. the entire plot is set up like the coyote and the road runner, and the character names are just wicked; arnold schwarzenegger plays handsome stranger and he has to escort a gal named charming, and the entire time, kirk douglas is trying to rob them while reading an instruction manual on how to be a bad guy. what a great concept. i highly recommend this movie if you adore silly

Worth a look, trust me.

Author: concad44
19 July 2003

This movie is horrible, its true... but there is so much worth seeing, if not only to see Arnold Schwartzenegger in a western. The opening scene alone took me completey by surprise and the stuttering telegraph operator is a must-see. The bulk of this movie is painful and youve seen it if you seen any Looney Toones cartoon, but I haven't laughed that hard at a movie in a very long time. Not to mention, Ann-Margaret is freaking hot.

Douglas Fan

Author: Rocking_Newf from Toronto
21 January 2004

First when I seen this film I nearly cracked up,Kirk has filled the role as usually , Fanastically. Always admired his sick sense of humour. I see Micheal has follwed his footsteps like his movies aswell But where did Kirk get that Horse? I think he was the real star of the movie that stolen the spotlight.

One of those forgotten movies Arnold was in.

Author: Aaron1375
6 October 2009

Most people know about one of Arnold's other movies before he got really famous, a awful movie titled "Hercules in New York", but this one was the more enjoyable film. Granted it was not anything great, a bit of a weak version of "Blazing Saddles", basically a cowboy comedy with Kirk Douglas as the title character and doing a very nice job of it. Arnold is not really all that impressive, but for what his job is in the movie he does fine. Basically a goodie two shoes type that is way to good to be true. The comedy is basically a live action Road Runner cartoon as Kirk Douglas and his horse try to spring one trap after another on the handsome stranger and the lady he is escorting and it usually ends rather badly for the villain. Whether it is a boulder rolling the wrong way or his faithful horse basically sabotaging the trap by moving the wrong way or at the wrong time this jokes work rather well. It also has a rather funny conclusion to it too. However, at times the movie moves a little slowly in-between traps and so it is a bit boring in places too. Still, for the most part it is worth a chuckle or two.

Page 2 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]