The Villain (1979) Poster

(1979)

62 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
Dudley DooRight versus Wile E. Coyote for Jessica Rabbit
bkoganbing25 May 2008
I'm not quite sure why Kirk Douglas took the part of a live Wile E. Coyote in the film villain other than to say that he had now tried the slapstick comedy genre. But in this case the frustrated coyote is not matched up with the beeping road runner. His adversary is Dudley DooRight in the person of Arnold Schwarzneggar, the Handsome Stranger. Yes folks, that's his character name.

We've got a third cartoon character in the mix, Ann-Margret doing a prototype of Jessica Rabbit. Annie's really showing off the stuff today with bosoms akimbo, she's got every member of the cast panting after her with the exceptions of Strother Martin who is her father and still sees Daddy's little girl and Arnie whom she pants after, but who doesn't show the slightest interest.

The bulk of the film is taken up with Kirk as villainous Cactus Jack and his horse Whiskey, doing their best to stop Arnie and Ann and rob them of a large sum of money from banker Jack Elam to Strother Martin. It's here where all the comparisons to the road runner cartoons take place.

I'm sure Kirk Douglas liked the change of pace, burlesquing his own western image. And he had a tough assignment because the majority of his scenes are alone and the dialog was spoken to his horse. Maybe Mr. Ed should have been cast in the role.

If anybody noticed the name of the horse Whiskey is the same name that Kirk Douglas used for his horse in his acclaimed Lonely Are The Brave.

Lest you think that because this is a road runner film the ending is a road runner ending. Let's just say that Jessica Rabbit has her needs and priorities as well.
11 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It's supposed to be a LIVE action Road Runner Cartoon!
drew17511 November 2004
You people have completely missed the point of the movie! When Kirk Douglas falls off the cliff, or off his horse, he is not intended to be hurt! Didn't you get it when he painted a tunnel on the big rock, and Arnold and Ann PASS right through it? Then when Douglas tries it, he runs splat into the rock! It is a very funny comedy! COMEDY being the key word here. Arnold has some great lines in this movie as does Ann Margaret. This is your classic Saturday Morning Wile E. Coyote/Roadrunner cartoon done in a live version. Don't worry so much about the acting, and just enjoy the movie.

Also, Ann Margaret is NOT 63 in this movie, and she is VERY hot looking in it. And even at 63, she is still somewhat hot!

If you have this movie and Brain Donors, you have yourself a fun day ahead of you!!
33 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Good Fun
Lamia76096 September 2001
I can't understand why most people think every movie is trying to be Citizen Kane. I mean I love steak, but I would tire of it if I had to eat it every day. Sometimes you need pudding. This movie is pudding..not much substance but tastes great while it's in your mouth. I hadn't thought about this movie in ages until I was reading a bio on Arnold. This movie is a live action cartoon. It's goofy, silly and other adjectives that end in y, but it's fun to watch. It's especially fun to see it on those Sunday afternoons when nothing is on, but car racing and fishing. (With the advent of cable this has become a rare occasion, but I think most people will agree that even with 150 channels it's still hard to find something you want to watch.) If you get a chance to see this movie and don't take yourself too seriously you will have a good laugh.
24 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
hilarious film, just like Roadrunner
barryaus10 July 2004
Almost like a Roadrunner cartoon, but live action. Pretty much all the clichés you can think of, including names such as "Handsome Stranger" for the handsome stranger played by Ah-nold, and "Charming" for the beautiful heroine.

Frankly, IMHO, Kirk Douglas's horse was the star of the movie. While watching it with friends I said, "I love that horse." I think that animal should have won an Academy Award. (I think there is a "Patsy" award for animals, actually)

Probably best to see this one with friends. Probably pretty boring to see it alone, but where friends can feed upon each other it is wonderful.

None of Kirk Douglas's implements did come from the ACME company, though :-)
12 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The best Road Runner / Wile E. Coyote remake ever!
scornelius-118 September 2003
Both Kirk Douglas & his horse 'Whiskey' should have both gotten an oscar for their performances in this movie. Arnie was at his best and Ann-Margret did Ann-Margret, perfectly. I could watch this movie over and over. This movie will live on as a cult classic forever. If you watch it once, you better be prepared because you're gonna want to watch it again and invite everyone over to join you. It's that type of movie. Long live Nervous-Elk!
28 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
incredibly stupid fun
MartinHafer3 August 2005
This is a perfect film if you just want to turn off your brain and have a good laugh. I was amazed at how low rated this film is--perhaps too many people take this film too seriously! This was never meant to be high art, but more like an extended live action version of a Wiley Coyote versus the Roadrunner cartoon. There was so much similarity, I half expected that this film would be sponsored by ACME.

Kirk Douglas is the hapless bad guy bent on killing the more than amply endowed Ann-Margret (you'll see what I mean if you watch the film) and the incredibly dumb hero played by Arnold Schwarzenegger. Again and again and again his dopey schemes fall flat until the movie comes to a very unexpected and funny ending.

While I will admit this is more of a kids movie, adults can enjoy it too provided they don't think too much and just sit back and watch with an open mind.
11 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Hilarious!
grahamsj33 December 2002
This film is hilarious. Everyone in it obviously had a great time making the film and it shows! Kirk Douglas, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Ann Margaret (whew!) and Paul Lynde are all wonderful! A short appearance by Foster Brooks is great. But it's Kirk's horse, Whiskey, that steals the entire show. What a horse! The film is written a lot like a Saturday morning Roadrunner cartoon and the bad guy (Douglas) has his book of dirty tricks just like Wile E. Coyote. And the tricks often backfire (even down to the glue on the railroad tracks and the tunnel painted on the mountain side), a la Coyote with hilarious results! However, there isn't a single "Beep, Beep" in the film. This is a great way to spend a couple hours if you need to laugh, and don't we all? Don't miss this one!
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great movie
ibrahim-189 January 2007
You've got kids and you want the whole family to have good time. This is the right movie for you. This movie is simply hilarious. It's like watching the road runner or a sequel of Yosemite Sam and Buggs Bunny. Your kids will probably watch the movie several times and every time they're feeling bored or have nothing to do.

In this film Kirk Douglas gets squashed by a rolling big rock, he glues himself to the railroad, he falls in a ravine, he tries to run through a painted tunnel on a Mountain and he glides along a rope stretching between a tree and the mouth of his own horse.

I bet your kids are even gonna talk about it when they're grownups and they'll make their kids watch it too.

You've never seen Kirk Douglas or Arnold playing similar roles to this.

I certainly recommend it.
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A true live-action Roadrunner cartoon!
randyjabel14 May 2005
If you like goofy-funny movies, this is a classic that will keep you laughing! Ann-Margaret plays the gorgeous Charming Jones, who recruits the help of Handsome Stranger (a VERY young Arnold Schwarzenegger) to escort her as she transfers her inherited fortune. Wealthy Avery Simpson, played by Jack Elam, wants her inheritance, and hires has-been cowboy Cactus Jack Slade (Kirk Douglas) to rob her. Slade, along with his horse Whiskey (the REAL star of this film!), keeps you in stitches with his Road Runner antics as he makes countless attempts to get the loot. This film is completed with the appearance of other stars that tie it all together, including Paul Lynde, Foster Brooks, Strother Martin, Mel Tillis, and Ruth Buzzi (just to name a few). A great film for anyone who enjoys comedy westerns!
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Live action Road Runner cartoon!!
Frank-979 April 2003
I first saw this movie in the theater when it was originally released. I had NO IDEA what it was about and I was kind of puzzled at first by it...then I really got into it and laughed uproariously throughout!!! Every crazy Road Runner gag is hauled out and used...and it works!!! Totally silly, totally nonsensical...but very very funny!!! How can you go wrong with a movie that has Paul Lynde as an Indian named Nervous Elk???? Leave your grumpiness at the door...get into a goofy mood and enjoy this flick!!!
10 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this