IMDb > Unidentified Flying Oddball (1979) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Spaceman and King Arthur

Unidentified Flying Oddball More at IMDbPro »The Spaceman and King Arthur (original title)

My goodness -- someone was grumpy when they saw this flick!

Author: Leaf-7
17 March 2001

Unlike my learned colleague, I apparently have room in my life for tres mal cinema...I loved this movie. Now, I am not going to tell you it's GOOD, by any means, but you have to give credit to the fine old British actors who salvaged what they could -- Jim Dale and several of the others did an amazing job with the awful script they were given. If you like "Plan 9 From Outer Space", "I Married a Space Alien", and the like, then this movie is right up there. Frankly, I think tres mal cinema nights demand this sort of thing. So, get a keg, grab your high school buddies, get out the D&D dice and enjoy -- and you can, like me, root for the bad guys cos it is sooooo bad!

It's a MOVIE, not fine Romanticist literature, after all!

UFO was a great film for kids

Author: miniskunk from United States
4 July 2006

I remember first seeing this film when it first came out and again in the early 80's as a special film showing at the elementary school I attended. While I agree with the "Suprise it's crap after all" comment that this was not Disney's best movie, I disagree that it was not an entertaining film for a child as I was one when I saw this. First at age 9 and a few years later I still enjoyed it.

I did find it amusing that the title changed a few times and even recall part of the original trailer song. It went something like..."The Unidentified Flying Oddball, it's undeniably oddball, he's the wrongway astronaut that traveled back to Camelot, lasers flash...." I cannot recall the rest perhaps someone can help there. It was very hokey sounding but hey, this film wasn't meant to be serious, just good old fun. I recommend it as a rental.

Trying to Educate which it does but to entertain it lacks slightly

Author: Chris Mooney (dhsb58) from S.W England, Plymouth
1 July 2004

Disney was in a pathway of making films with an educational twist.My previous review of "2000 leagues under the sea" is likewise to this as its aim also was to educate as well as entertain.

"Unidentified Fying Oddball" is a film educating its audience (mainly targeting children) of science. Scenes include "Making Robots" & "Maganetisim".

This film itself has a whole ray of cast.We are presented with Jim Dale, "British Actor" whom worked in numerous Carry On's such as "Screaming" & "Don't lose your head".Kenneth More is also present which is more known as playing the German King "Kaiser Wilhelm" in "Oh what a lovely War"

The film itself though entails the time travel of an Astronaut into King Arthur's time,landing in Cornwall.

The film has various good scenes and do provide a good laugh.The additional adding of cutlery to Sir Mordred sword by Clarence or the Magnatising of the troops to Tom's spaceship.

The film does however fall flat in several occasions,and it does drag a bit.Kids might enjoy it but certainly myself couldn't see myself picking this over other Disney classics,but it is a good film to watch and be educated.

Trailer song

Author: mvsleen from Netherlands
30 November 2007

I remember the trailer song too, Miniskunk!

"Unidentified Flying Oddball, it's undeniably oddball. He's the wrong way astronaut, Who brought his rocket back to to Camelot. There's an oddball in King Arthur's court!"

Been searching for that song for ages. Makes me feel out of date myself.

;-)

I used to live in the States when this movie came out. Some of the actors are great. Dennis Dugan has an uncanny resemblance to Steve Coogan (Alan Partridge) and could even make me laugh when the jokes in this flick were pretty bad.

Family Fun! A medieval romp with a sci-fi twist!

Author: www_OwenSmithProductions_com from Atlanta, GA
5 November 2001

An all-around fun movie for the adventurous and imaginative. The Disney channel used to air this film regularly in the 1980's and I made sure to watch it each and every time.

This is a great family film that is especially fun for young boys (what little boy doesn't want to be an astronaut or a knight? How about BOTH!?). Just be sure your kids see this one before they become cynical from being corrupted by the numerous plotless special-effects laden films of today.

Additionally, this is a great way to introduce kids to the literary world by providing them with the film's inspiration: Mark Twain's "A Connecticut Yankee in King Aurthur's Court."

Enjoy!

Mostly harmless

Author: TrevorAclea from London, England
9 August 2010

If The Spaceman and King Arthur aka Unidentified Flying Oddball merited an entry in The Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy, it would doubtless read 'mostly harmless.' The kind of family special effects comedy that Disney continued to push out to diminishing returns long after Uncle Walt left the building and audiences lost interest, this umpteenth reworking of Mark Twain's A Connecticut Yankee in the Court of King Arthur doesn't have many jokes and even fewer of them are any good, but the film's so good-natured and relentlessly eager to please that you can't really hold it against it. Denis Dugan is the NASA scientist who finds himself accidentally shot into space in an experimental spacecraft alongside his robot double and ends up going back in time to King Arthur's court where he crosses swords with Jim Dale's evil Sir Mordred (in Disney's final attempt to turn him into a US star) and Ron Moody's Merlin, for once on the side of the villains. Nothing terribly imaginative or amusing happens, but it passes the time pleasantly enough, Ron Goodwin's score revisiting the odd motif from his earlier score for Sword of Lancelot, Paul Beeson's photography throwing up a couple of pretty images, and Kenneth More ending his movie career with his dignity intact as King Arthur, displaying some nice chemistry with John Le Mesurier's vague Sir Gawain even if it's no valedictory performance.

Surprise! It is crap after all.

Author: Jason James Martin from Toronto, Canada
13 July 2000

This is one of those films that starts with a bad title and only gets worse.

If I recall, I saw this at my friend Kirk's tenth birthday party and it was the first time I used the word 'dreck' in a sentence.

'Unidentified Flying Oddball' has all the appearance of having been written and filmed over a long weekend. Edited in someone's basement one night over a keg of beer.

One thing sticks in my memory like an oak splinter: the way Spaceman Tom never called King Arthur 'your majesty' or 'sire,' but instead just plain ol' good ol' 'King.' As in 'hey, King, get yer hands offa my girl, see.' If you like that sort of talk, and your brain development arrested in grade three, then the team behind 'Unidentified Flying Oddball' wants you.

The science was excellent, however. I know now that if I ever need to defend myself from a deathly laser beam, I need only wear the shiniest armour I can find ('Say, King, gimme yer armor! Now don't get all persnickety on me, see? I'll give it back all nice and proper-like, and polished up with good ol' American spit shine').

Disney produced this matted ass-hair sandwich in the days before they became the media Godzilla they are now. Their stock was leaning into the toilet in those days and, hey, so will you after seeing this film.

Incoherent plot, humourless gags, crummy special effects, poor sets. It's not a good kid's film. Not a good film, even though based on a Mark Twain story. But I may change my tune. Perhaps someday I'll see this movie the way I presume it was meant to be seen. On crack.

Whatever! This movie Rocked! :-D it was so funny!

Author: threebrain2003 from United States
9 September 2005

You above, yeah you! You are a fool if you didn't love this rockstar film! It had space ship, camelot, magic and wonder! All the makings of a great film! And you have the audacity to diss it? You are a movie snob that are one of them fools that likes the new Star Wars. The characters in this film, now titled "Unidentified Fly Oddball" on the current DVD of it, are hilarious! That lady that thinks her dad is a goose! hahaha i'm serious! hahahahaha.

So much hilarious stuff happens in this movie and some of it unintensional but still hilarious. Like you can see the strings on stuff that flies. hahahaha it's so bad that it's hilarious. My girlfriend was all dissing it like the movie snob above who wrote a bad review but I threatened to punch her if she didn't shut up so then she shut up! anyways! 8 of 10! hilarious movie. So aweomse!