IMDb > Unidentified Flying Oddball (1979) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Spaceman and King Arthur

Unidentified Flying Oddball More at IMDbPro »The Spaceman and King Arthur (original title)

My goodness -- someone was grumpy when they saw this flick!

Author: Leaf-7
17 March 2001

Unlike my learned colleague, I apparently have room in my life for tres mal cinema...I loved this movie. Now, I am not going to tell you it's GOOD, by any means, but you have to give credit to the fine old British actors who salvaged what they could -- Jim Dale and several of the others did an amazing job with the awful script they were given. If you like "Plan 9 From Outer Space", "I Married a Space Alien", and the like, then this movie is right up there. Frankly, I think tres mal cinema nights demand this sort of thing. So, get a keg, grab your high school buddies, get out the D&D dice and enjoy -- and you can, like me, root for the bad guys cos it is sooooo bad!

It's a MOVIE, not fine Romanticist literature, after all!

UFO was a great film for kids

Author: miniskunk from United States
4 July 2006

I remember first seeing this film when it first came out and again in the early 80's as a special film showing at the elementary school I attended. While I agree with the "Suprise it's crap after all" comment that this was not Disney's best movie, I disagree that it was not an entertaining film for a child as I was one when I saw this. First at age 9 and a few years later I still enjoyed it.

I did find it amusing that the title changed a few times and even recall part of the original trailer song. It went something like..."The Unidentified Flying Oddball, it's undeniably oddball, he's the wrongway astronaut that traveled back to Camelot, lasers flash...." I cannot recall the rest perhaps someone can help there. It was very hokey sounding but hey, this film wasn't meant to be serious, just good old fun. I recommend it as a rental.

Trying to Educate which it does but to entertain it lacks slightly

Author: Chris Mooney (dhsb58) from S.W England, Plymouth
1 July 2004

Disney was in a pathway of making films with an educational twist.My previous review of "2000 leagues under the sea" is likewise to this as its aim also was to educate as well as entertain.

"Unidentified Fying Oddball" is a film educating its audience (mainly targeting children) of science. Scenes include "Making Robots" & "Maganetisim".

This film itself has a whole ray of cast.We are presented with Jim Dale, "British Actor" whom worked in numerous Carry On's such as "Screaming" & "Don't lose your head".Kenneth More is also present which is more known as playing the German King "Kaiser Wilhelm" in "Oh what a lovely War"

The film itself though entails the time travel of an Astronaut into King Arthur's time,landing in Cornwall.

The film has various good scenes and do provide a good laugh.The additional adding of cutlery to Sir Mordred sword by Clarence or the Magnatising of the troops to Tom's spaceship.

The film does however fall flat in several occasions,and it does drag a bit.Kids might enjoy it but certainly myself couldn't see myself picking this over other Disney classics,but it is a good film to watch and be educated.

Trailer song

Author: mvsleen from Netherlands
30 November 2007

I remember the trailer song too, Miniskunk!

"Unidentified Flying Oddball, it's undeniably oddball. He's the wrong way astronaut, Who brought his rocket back to to Camelot. There's an oddball in King Arthur's court!"

Been searching for that song for ages. Makes me feel out of date myself.

;-)

I used to live in the States when this movie came out. Some of the actors are great. Dennis Dugan has an uncanny resemblance to Steve Coogan (Alan Partridge) and could even make me laugh when the jokes in this flick were pretty bad.

Family Fun! A medieval romp with a sci-fi twist!

Author: www_OwenSmithProductions_com from Atlanta, GA
5 November 2001

An all-around fun movie for the adventurous and imaginative. The Disney channel used to air this film regularly in the 1980's and I made sure to watch it each and every time.

This is a great family film that is especially fun for young boys (what little boy doesn't want to be an astronaut or a knight? How about BOTH!?). Just be sure your kids see this one before they become cynical from being corrupted by the numerous plotless special-effects laden films of today.

Additionally, this is a great way to introduce kids to the literary world by providing them with the film's inspiration: Mark Twain's "A Connecticut Yankee in King Aurthur's Court."

Enjoy!

Mostly harmless

Author: TrevorAclea from London, England
9 August 2010

If The Spaceman and King Arthur aka Unidentified Flying Oddball merited an entry in The Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy, it would doubtless read 'mostly harmless.' The kind of family special effects comedy that Disney continued to push out to diminishing returns long after Uncle Walt left the building and audiences lost interest, this umpteenth reworking of Mark Twain's A Connecticut Yankee in the Court of King Arthur doesn't have many jokes and even fewer of them are any good, but the film's so good-natured and relentlessly eager to please that you can't really hold it against it. Denis Dugan is the NASA scientist who finds himself accidentally shot into space in an experimental spacecraft alongside his robot double and ends up going back in time to King Arthur's court where he crosses swords with Jim Dale's evil Sir Mordred (in Disney's final attempt to turn him into a US star) and Ron Moody's Merlin, for once on the side of the villains. Nothing terribly imaginative or amusing happens, but it passes the time pleasantly enough, Ron Goodwin's score revisiting the odd motif from his earlier score for Sword of Lancelot, Paul Beeson's photography throwing up a couple of pretty images, and Kenneth More ending his movie career with his dignity intact as King Arthur, displaying some nice chemistry with John Le Mesurier's vague Sir Gawain even if it's no valedictory performance.

The Spaceman and King Arthur (aka Unidentified Flying Oddball)

Author: Phil Hubbs from UK
3 July 2015

As the title might suggest, this is an adaptation of the Mark Twain novel 'A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court'. To make things more interesting Disney flipped the idea on its head and made it a spaceman going back in time, thusly adding much more scope for visual fun and games.

NASA are trying to send a manned crew to out nearest star Alpha Centauri with the use of a new flashy super fast shuttle. This shuttle will fly faster than the speed of light by collecting atoms and ionising them, all through magnetic fields fitted to the wings. No idea how this is suppose to work but its heavy foreshadowing that's for sure. By mistake Trimble and his android replica get blasted into space and on this perilous journey, but they don't get too far before ending up crashing back on Earth in the Middle Ages. Once discovered Trimble must convince the locals he's not an alien or monster, get to grips with medieval life and eventually try to stop Merlin and Mordred from overthrowing Arthur.

Right so this is a Disney movie, an old Disney movie, so you know to expect slushy crapola just like all old live action Disney movies. I mean straight away, this professor dude at NASA rings up the main character Trimble and tells him to make a humanoid android for the shuttle project...and he does! He just says 'yes sir' and gets right to it, creating the perfect human looking android with perfect senses, reactions and even emotions, just like that. If people in this universe have those kinda of skills why are humans still stuck on Earth? Anyway this isn't about scientific authenticity, its a pure fantasy aimed at kids to enjoy, and back in the day I did enjoy this thoroughly.

The lead character played by Dennis Dugan is terribly wet and preppy that's for damn sure, but I'd imagine he is appealing to the younger generations with his quirky, jaunty self. Other cast members are a who's who of classic British talents. Jim Dale of the famous British 'Carry On' movie franchise plays the baddie knight Mordred and gives quite a surprisingly solid performance to be honest. Ron Moody is Merlin and looks like your typical evil wizard mixed with Fu Manchu, couldn't help but think it was Fagin in the Middle Ages though. John Le Mesurier plays Sir Gawain adding some nice light- hearted humour to the role, whilst Kenneth More completes a little double act with Mesurier as King Arthur. This duo really played off each other well, like a little bickering old couple, its quite cute and charming, very childish, but adorable. Good old Pat Roach is in here too as Merlin's main henchman and muscle, what else would he be.

The cast was pretty epic looking back, like many of old movies, but for kids at the time it was all about the adventure really, and this had all the right ingredients. Medieval knights, jousting, large scale battles and space technology. The movie was shot in and around a real castle in Northumberland, UK which really added to the realism and excitement when you were a kid. Everything looked like a giant adventure playground with lots of wondrous (yet dangerous) toys, the weaving dimly lit castle corridors, secret passages, the space shuttle in the courtyard, swords, crossbows, various futuristic gadgets, a moon buggy etc...Everything in the film does look pretty good too, considering the films age it still holds up well today. All the sets and costumes look terrific too, very accurate for a Disney kids flick, it does appear that this movie had a reasonable budget and plenty of tender loving care lavished upon it.

Yet despite the fact this was indeed a kids flick, it didn't shy away from tiny moments of edgy material. For starters they actually have a full scale, full view burning of Trimble at one point. Even though everyone knows its not real they don't actually cut away from it! you actually see the stunt guy in there burning! or at least close to the flames with clever use of forced perspective...I think! Put it this way it looks pretty realistic for a Disney movie sheesh! Then you have the jousting contest where we see Trimble's android getting taken apart piece by piece until his head is speared off, and yes there are no cuts, you see it fly off. Lastly there are actually references to Playboy magazine here, its actually shown, front cover en all! Of course you don't see anything but the fact its in there, presumably as product placement, is quite bizarre frankly.

Yes this fantasy adaptation has something in it for everyone, lots for the boys of course, romance with a maiden for the girls, and the legendary actors hamming it up something rotten for the adults. There is plenty of silly hokey stuff naturally, yet some quite clever stuff also, and what's more the special effects and props all add to the atmosphere perfectly. The big battle finale set in and around the castle at the end is the coup de grace, chock full of fun little moments. To be honest this whole thing feels a bit like a pantomime for kids, you half expect to hear hissing when the villains walk in shot. Its all so horrendously good-natured and delightful, its sickening...but in an acceptable way, nice score too.

Undemanding fun

Author: Leofwine_draca from United Kingdom
5 April 2016

UNIDENTIFIED FLYING ODDBALL is a '70s version of the classic Mark Twain story, A CONNECTICUT YANKEE IN KING ARTHUR'S COURT. The story has been updated to the space age, with a lone young astronaut and his android double breaking through a time barrier in space and finding themselves back in King Arthur's day, where they must battle evil and romance willing maidens and the like.

It's all very juvenile, of course, but then you expect little else from a Disney production. However, like a lot of Disney movies, UNIDENTIFIED FLYING ODDBALL is a colourful romp through medieval times and one that's filled with incident, so there's plenty to enjoy here, as long as you like your entertainment basic and your jokes rather obvious. I thought the main American star, Dennis Dugan, was poor indeed, but the supporting cast of British character actors makes up for him: Jim Dale, cast against type as the villain; Ron Moody as the delightfully sneaky Merlin; a near unrecognisably aged Kenneth Moore as Arthur; and the reliable Rodney Bewes and John Le Mesurier in comic support.

Surprise! It is crap after all.

Author: Jason James Martin from Toronto, Canada
13 July 2000

This is one of those films that starts with a bad title and only gets worse.

If I recall, I saw this at my friend Kirk's tenth birthday party and it was the first time I used the word 'dreck' in a sentence.

'Unidentified Flying Oddball' has all the appearance of having been written and filmed over a long weekend. Edited in someone's basement one night over a keg of beer.

One thing sticks in my memory like an oak splinter: the way Spaceman Tom never called King Arthur 'your majesty' or 'sire,' but instead just plain ol' good ol' 'King.' As in 'hey, King, get yer hands offa my girl, see.' If you like that sort of talk, and your brain development arrested in grade three, then the team behind 'Unidentified Flying Oddball' wants you.

The science was excellent, however. I know now that if I ever need to defend myself from a deathly laser beam, I need only wear the shiniest armour I can find ('Say, King, gimme yer armor! Now don't get all persnickety on me, see? I'll give it back all nice and proper-like, and polished up with good ol' American spit shine').

Disney produced this matted ass-hair sandwich in the days before they became the media Godzilla they are now. Their stock was leaning into the toilet in those days and, hey, so will you after seeing this film.

Incoherent plot, humourless gags, crummy special effects, poor sets. It's not a good kid's film. Not a good film, even though based on a Mark Twain story. But I may change my tune. Perhaps someday I'll see this movie the way I presume it was meant to be seen. On crack.

Whatever! This movie Rocked! :-D it was so funny!

Author: threebrain2003 from United States
9 September 2005

You above, yeah you! You are a fool if you didn't love this rockstar film! It had space ship, camelot, magic and wonder! All the makings of a great film! And you have the audacity to diss it? You are a movie snob that are one of them fools that likes the new Star Wars. The characters in this film, now titled "Unidentified Fly Oddball" on the current DVD of it, are hilarious! That lady that thinks her dad is a goose! hahaha i'm serious! hahahahaha.

So much hilarious stuff happens in this movie and some of it unintensional but still hilarious. Like you can see the strings on stuff that flies. hahahaha it's so bad that it's hilarious. My girlfriend was all dissing it like the movie snob above who wrote a bad review but I threatened to punch her if she didn't shut up so then she shut up! anyways! 8 of 10! hilarious movie. So aweomse!