MOVIEmeter
SEE RANK
Down 656 this week

Starcrash (1978)

PG  |   |  Action, Adventure, Fantasy  |  9 March 1979 (USA)
4.0
Your rating:
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 -/10 X  
Ratings: 4.0/10 from 3,070 users  
Reviews: 76 user | 139 critic

An outlaw smuggler and her alien companion are recruited by the Emperor of the Galaxy to rescue his son and destroy a secret weapon by the evil Count Zarth Arn.

Director:

(as Lewis Coates)

Writers:

(screenplay) (as Lewis Coates) , (screenplay), 1 more credit »
0Check in
0Share...

On Disc

at Amazon

IMDb Picks: May

Visit our IMDb Picks section to see our recommendations of movies and TV shows coming out in May, sponsored by COVERGIRL.

Visit the IMDb Picks section

User Lists

Related lists from IMDb users

a list of 39 titles
created 29 Jul 2011
 
a list of 40 titles
created 31 Oct 2011
 
a list of 27 titles
created 28 Mar 2013
 
a list of 24 titles
created 25 Apr 2013
 
a list of 40 titles
created 09 Dec 2013
 

Related Items

Search for "Starcrash" on Amazon.com

Connect with IMDb


Share this Rating

Title: Starcrash (1978)

Starcrash (1978) on IMDb 4/10

Want to share IMDb's rating on your own site? Use the HTML below.

Take The Quiz!

Test your knowledge of Starcrash.
1 nomination. See more awards »
Learn more

People who liked this also liked... 

Horror | Sci-Fi
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 5.3/10 X  

In the distant future, a federation marshal arrives at a research lab on a remote planet where a genetic experiment has gotten lose and begins feeding on the dwindling scientific group.

Director: Allan Holzman
Stars: Jesse Vint, Dawn Dunlap, June Chadwick
Contamination (1980)
Horror | Romance | Sci-Fi
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 5.3/10 X  

A former astronaut helps a government agent and a police detective track the source of mysterious alien pod spores, filled with lethal flesh-dissolving acid, to a South American coffee plantation controlled by alien pod clones.

Director: Luigi Cozzi
Stars: Ian McCulloch, Louise Marleau, Marino Masé
Drama | Romance
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 6.9/10 X  

Love story of a young woman Stella who is dying of leukemia. A man who is mistakenly taken as a family member at a hospital and is informed by a doctor the diagnosis of Stella. Stella ... See full summary »

Director: Luigi Cozzi
Stars: Richard Johnson, Pamela Villoresi, Maria Antonietta Beluzzi
Action | Adventure | Comedy
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 5.4/10 X  

A young farmer sets out to recruit mercenaries to defend his peaceful planet, which is under threat of invasion by the evil tyrant Sador and his armada of aggressors.

Directors: Jimmy T. Murakami, Roger Corman
Stars: George Peppard, Robert Vaughn, Richard Thomas
Action | Adventure | Sci-Fi
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 5.1/10 X  

In this Star Wars take-off, the peaceful planet of Jillucia has been nearly wiped out by the Gavanas, whose leader takes orders from his mother (played a comic actor in drag) rather than ... See full summary »

Director: Kinji Fukasaku
Stars: Vic Morrow, Shin'ichi Chiba, Philip Casnoff
Space Raiders (1983)
Action | Adventure | Sci-Fi
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 4.6/10 X  

A futuristic, sensitive tale of adventure and confrontation when a 10 year old boy is accidentally kidnapped by a spaceship filled with a motley crew of space pirates.

Director: Howard R. Cohen
Stars: Vince Edwards, David Mendenhall, Patsy Pease
Drama | Fantasy | Horror
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 4.4/10 X  

A horror movie in production resurrects a witch called Levana, who is the main evil character in the movie. Levana tries to take over our world so that evil can be spread everywhere, but ... See full summary »

Director: Luigi Cozzi
Stars: Florence Guérin, Urbano Barberini, Caroline Munro
Action | Adventure | Horror
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 5.1/10 X  

SciFi suspense thriller in which a rescue space ship crew meets up with horrors projected by their own imaginations.

Director: Bruce D. Clark
Stars: Edward Albert, Erin Moran, Ray Walston
Saturn 3 (1980)
Adventure | Sci-Fi | Thriller
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 5/10 X  

Two lovers stationed at a remote base in the asteroid fields of Saturn are intruded upon by a retentive technocrat from Earth and his charge: a malevolent 8-ft robot. Remember, in space no one can hear you scream.

Directors: Stanley Donen, John Barry
Stars: Farrah Fawcett, Kirk Douglas, Harvey Keitel
Starke Zeiten (1988)
Comedy
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 2.7/10 X  
Directors: Klaudi Fröhlich, Rolf Olsen, and 3 more credits »
Stars: Michael Winslow, Rudi Carrell, Karl Dall
Adventure | Sci-Fi
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 3.3/10 X  

The crew of a space ship confronts an evil galactic ruler out to rule the universe.

Director: Bitto Albertini
Stars: Sherry Buchanan, Fausto Di Bella, Don Powell
Sci-Fi
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 5.2/10 X  
Director: Luigi Cozzi
Stars: Alberto Moro, Bruno Salviero, Anna Mantovani
Edit

Cast

Complete credited cast:
...
Akton
...
Stella Star
...
The Emperor
...
Prince Simon
...
Thor
Joe Spinell ...
Count Zarth Arn
Nadia Cassini ...
Queen of the Amazons
Judd Hamilton ...
Elle
Hamilton Camp ...
Elle (voice)
Edit

Storyline

Outlaw smugglers Stella Star and Akton manage to pick up a castaway while running from the authorities, who turns out to be the only survivor from a secret mission to destroy a mysterious superweapon designed by the evil Count Zarth Arn. The smugglers are soon recruited by the Emperor of the Galaxy to complete the mission, as well as to rescue the Emperor's son, who has gone missing. Written by Jean-Marc Rocher <rocher@fiberbit.net>

Plot Summary | Plot Synopsis

Taglines:

The ultimate intergalactic adventure See more »


Certificate:

PG | See all certifications »

Parents Guide:

 »
Edit

Details

Country:

|

Language:

|

Release Date:

9 March 1979 (USA)  »

Also Known As:

Star Crash  »

Filming Locations:

 »

Company Credits

Show detailed on  »

Technical Specs

Sound Mix:

Color:

(Technicolor)

Aspect Ratio:

1.85 : 1
See  »
Edit

Did You Know?

Trivia

Caroline Munro was writer/director Luigi Cozzi's first and only choice to play Stella Star. See more »

Goofs

When going into hyperspace for the first time, Akton gives the probabilities of various catastrophes happening to the ship - 40% total disintegration, 30% molecular ignition, 20% gamma contamination - from which Stella concludes that they have a 10% chance of survival. It has been thought by some that this is an error: if these are independent events then the overall probability would be calculated by multiplying the probabilities of surviving each one, which would be 60% x 70% x 80%, giving 33.6%. However, there's no reason to suppose that the events are independent; in fact that would be a very unnatural interpretation of Akton's statement. It's more likely that he's stating the absolute probabilities that the ship will in fact be destroyed by each catastrophe - in which case each figure already presumes that the other two catastrophes don't occur, and the probabilities are independent. (And even if not, the error could be Stella's, not the filmmakers'.) See more »

Quotes

Elle: Circuits don't fail me now!
See more »

Connections

Referenced in Horror Business (2005) See more »

Frequently Asked Questions

This FAQ is empty. Add the first question.

User Reviews

Hot babes, awful script, lowball FX = great cheese!
11 December 2002 | by (Fountain Valley, CA) – See all my reviews

When "Star Crash" appeared in the U.S., my local newspaper's film critic noted: "...You have to be suspicious of a movie that literally sneaks into town...". That remark left me curious, but not curious enough; after just one week "Star Crash" had left town as quietly as it had come in. Why would any movie get so little push from its' distributor, I wondered? Could it really be that bad? It took me years to find out. Some dozen or so years later, a friend of mine told me he had a copy...well, I couldn't pass this up. After seeing it, I decided that the critics were right--and wrong. Such a hoot! Caroline Munro definitely set the mood in her almost-not-there "space-kini" and high-heeled boots, with Marjoe Gortner pulling backup as 2nd banana. Cheesy special FX, a painfully earnest performance by Christopher Plummer (you can practically see him wondering if his paycheck will clear the bank when he's finished), and a surprisingly good score ( hey, it's John Barry, what did you expect?)make this a pleasant surprise, as long as you're not expecting anything on par with E.E. "Doc" Smith, etc. A small note: I got to meet Ms. Munro at an SF convention back in '82, and I totally agree with Harlan Ellison...she was so gorgeous in person that "they had to ugly her down, so that the cameras wouldn't melt during filming!"....Though I forgot to ask her if it was true that only copy of the shooting script had been stolen by members of Italy's Red Brigade terrorists and held for ransom! Ah, rumors...anyway, try and catch it for free and you won't feel cheated.


14 of 16 people found this review helpful.  Was this review helpful to you?

Message Boards

Recent Posts
Starcrash vs Attack of the Clones Triple-G
BME (best movie ever) yoav_p
Which DVD is best? star_gladiator_2100
Is Stella Star Corellian? star_gladiator_2100
Compromising Hyperspace star_gladiator_2100
question about big metal robot-chick on island emiller-5
Discuss Starcrash (1978) on the IMDb message boards »

Contribute to This Page

Create a character page for:
?