IMDb > Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro (1979) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Rupan sansei: Kariosutoro no shiro

Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro More at IMDbPro »Rupan sansei: Kariosutoro no shiro (original title)

Page 4 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Terrific animated comedy-romance-adventure from Miyazaki!

Author: JTurner82 from Highland Park, NJ
20 March 2005

Acclaimed Anime genius Hayao Miyazaki scored his first major success with this charming, fast-paced, enjoyable tale about a clever thief coming to rescue -- you guessed it -- a princess from a dastardly monarch who wants to marry the lass for his own purposes. He's accompanied by a loyal gunman and a solemn but cunning ninja and pursued by a Japanese police detective who actually helps him at one point of the story. Along the way, there are a bunch of other obstacles to overcome, including bad guys with armored claws, the maze-like corridors of the Cagliostro castle itself, and a counterfeiting scheme.

The animation is obviously dated, since the film is over 20 years old, but there are elements of Miyazaki's characters in his later films to be found in the designs of the protagonists and antagonists -- the big, round eyes, wide-opened mouths when laughing and/or shouting, and of course, their ever-changing facial expressions. The jazz-rock underscore by Yuji Ohno lacks the richness of Joe Hisaishi's scores for Miyazaki's films after this one, but it suits the tone of the film perfectly.

Although not as beautiful, meaningful, or powerful as Miyazaki's later films, THE CASTLE OF CAGLIOSTRO is a joy to watch, with plenty of action-packed sequences, humor a-plenty, and enough fun to keep one enchanted. (Wait until you see the tools that the hero possesses!) The film was originally dubbed in English by Carl Mecak of Streamline Pictures. I have not seen this dub, but heard it received mixed opinions; it has its fans while others detest it. However, I DID enjoy this "new" dub produced by AniMaze, inc. (the folks who did COWBOY BEBOP, OUTLAW STAR, PERFECT BLUE, and the underrated 2001 revamp of AKIRA), which follows the script closely, despite some questionable inclusions of profanity in the dialog ("We're rich bastards!"). In addition, the voice cast is well chosen and sound like they are having a great time hamming it up.

All in all, THE CASTLE OF CAGLIOSTRO is classic material, as can be expected from the master of Japanese animation. I recommend it very highly.

A classic Anime for Everybody!

Author: AMIO-PatricioMunoz from Toronto, Ontario
16 November 2003

This film is very enjoyable!

I can see how this film can appeal to both young and older audiences. It is filled with memorable characters. It is entertaining. It is also quite visually stunning and fast paced.

If you have not seen an anime before, then this is a great one to get you started. This is a very energetic film and it has a very fast pace to it. The storyline is easy to follow. It is also filled with comical and touching moments that bring an honest smile to your face.

Quite honestly, I cannot think of anything really negative to say about this film at all. I suppose it is an older movie so the animation is dated by today's standards, but this will likely be the last thing on your mind as you watch the film.

It is far too enjoyable to watch right from the very beginning to the very end! It is quite inspirational.

The best anime movie from the 70s

Author: Irsan from Marseille, France
20 October 2003

This was one of the first anime movies I watched since the 'anime boom' of the mid nineties. Before, I watched movies like Akira and the Neon Genesis Evangelion series. They were great, I loved the artwork and stories, but they were a bit too much for a (then) 14 year old.

Then, one night I saw 'Castle of Cagliostro' on TV. At first, I thought this was aimed at a younger audience. Was I wrong.

I couldn't stop laughing from the opening robbery scene with Lupin (Wolf, in the version I saw) and Jigen getting away from what is supposedly the Royal Casino at Monaco. (Jigen did say: "But the Casino is run by the government.")

Lupin and Jigen are probabaly the most coolest animated criminals I've seen. Geomon may look out of place (anachronic, if you may), but is just as cool as Lupin and Jigen and reminds me of those old 60s and 70s Samurai movies. ("I'd better warn you, my sword is thirsty tonight." The coolest quote from the movie!) Zenigata may look stupid at first, but actually he's just unlucky. Miyazaki's Fujiko is the best representation of the female theif. Clarisse looks a bit ordinary, but bears the classic Miyazaki look. And the Count looks as evil as Darth Vader especially at the wedding scene.

A classic anime that shows everyone that the best Japanese doesn't always have giant robots, heros with magical swords, half naked girls and lots of blood. But includes high level artistry in the visual and musical areas, rememberable characters and great story that will make you watch it over and over again.

95%

My favorite director's delightful debut

Author: burgan6203 from Bozeman, MT, USA
9 February 2003

Hayao Miyazaki made this film in 1979; while the animation and story are more a bit more cartoonish than his later works, "The Castle Of Cagliostro" is still a lovely example of quality, escapist film.

The story follows the effort of Lupin III( an international cat burglar who is actually a big romantic marshmallow at heart) to rescue a young princess from the clutches of the wicked Count Cagliostro. It has great action sequences, slapstick humor, buried messages of the fallacy of government, and an ending that is bittersweet without being disappointing.

All in all, an admirable debut by one of the world's greatest directors.

Classic anime that is still going strong after so many years

Author: leonx-1 from the Hague, the Netherlands
15 October 2002

I have seen many anime movies and have been an anime fan for about 9 years now, but out of all the anime that I have had the pleasure of seeing, this one is my favorite. It was my first introduction to the character of Lupin III and I have been a fan of his exploits ever since.

The movie is about Lupin III (related to the French original "Arsene Lupin", created by Maurice Lebanc) who is one of the world's greatest thieves, but has a heart of gold. Together with his partner in crime, Jigen, he comes on the trail of an international counterfeiter, which leads them both the the small European country of Cagliostro. Not long after entering Cagliostro, they try and rescue a woman (Clarisse) who is being chased by henchmen of Cagliostro's ruler (the Count of Cagliostro, I don't remember him getting an actual name). The Count takes Clarisse to his castle, and together with the help of other regular characters from the Lupin series', Lupin sets off to rescue her.

The story is simple enough, but is very entertaining. It might seem childish at times, but most people that I have watched this movie with have managed to look beyond this and enjoy this movie. This really is an anime for all ages.

The quality of the animation might seem rather dated considering this movie was released in 1979, but compared to other anime released that year, it is quite good and won't detract from the movie, which sometimes happens with older anime.

The sound quality of the Japanese track has suffered quite a bit over the years, so much that I prefer the restored English dub (there's two different English dubs, both of which are done quite decently). If there is a restored version of the Japanese audio, it is advised to get this one, no one can do Lupin's voice better than the Japanese original: Yasuo Yamada.

This movie has quite a bit to live up to, since it was written and directed by Hayao Miyazak, who is best known for Mononoke Hime and now Sen to Chihiro no kamikakushi. Even though both these movies are among the best anime ever made, for me Kariosutoro no shiro is Hayao Miyazaki's best movie. Steven Spielberg when he said this is one of the greatest adventure movies ever made.

An anime classic

Author: cpm6 from Keene NH USA
27 December 2000

This is the second "Lupin III" movie, and it is also the theatrical debut of Hayao Miyazaki, Japan's premier animator who also directed the critically acclaimed "Princess Mononoke". A stunning film, "Castle" is another adventure of Lupin III, one of Japan's most beloved animated characters, who has appeared in several animated productions over the course of three decades. COC has great animation-in some cases better than quite a few of today's offerings. There are few, if any, still shots, which frequently plaque both American and Japanaese animation. The car chase in particular is well-done-it's even said to have inspired Steven Spielberg himself (In fact, "Temple Of Doom"'s opening seems to have been partially inspired by it). Also intriquing is Miyazaki's take on Lupin's character. The character of Lupin, as realized by manga(Comic) artist Monkey Punch was that of a long-jawed, hyperactive womanizer and trickster(Like a wacked out James Bond). Miyazaki's version is a much more calm, methodical Lupin, sort of close in a few ways to Indiana Jones. Anyway, great entertainment. Don't miss out!

One of the best anime movies ever

Author: DarkMog from Los Angeles, California
20 August 2000

The Castle of Cagliostro is yet another masterpiece director Hayao Miyazaki, proving once again the versatility of both the medium and the director. The story of Lupin the notably thief is funny, charming, and full of action, while at the same time retaining the sense of decency of most other films by the director. Unlike the typical stereotype of anime (which is the reason that almost every title in Blockbuster under Animation has a Youth Restricted Viewing sticker), which is only true some of the time, there is nothing notably offensive in this movie. And yet it manages to be completely entertaining for all age groups.. what an interesting concept. The animation is beautiful if slightly dated, and the music and dialogue all fit. I highly recommend it to anyone willing to give it a shot.

The DVD is P E R F E C T!!!

Author: Donald Davis (donaldjr@neo.rr.com)
24 May 2000

Today, I just got the DVD of Castle of Cagliostro and I was simply blown away by the quality! Manga really did what they set out to do with the remastered footage! The dubbing was simply first rate! Forget those haxor jobs of previous dubbed video tapes! This is studio quality! Also, if you are still a fan of the subtitled version, the DVD offers the options of Japanese voices, as well as Japanese with English subtitles. For fans of Lupin III, this DVD is simply a MUST HAVE!! I honestly feel it is that good! Seeing this film again in the superior resolution of the DVD format was like seeing it for the very first time...again.

Great Adventure/Action Animation , like a Bond Cartoon...

Author: pc95 from San Diego
9 June 2007

Although maybe not Miyazaki's best production, this is nonetheless a solid and spirited romp of movie full of adventure and action. It definitely seemed like an animation counterpart to James Bond. Some of the spoof, gags, and humor were a lot of fun. The animation and color in this older outing still holds up excellently, and they've obviously put some work in restoration. I especially enjoyed the mid-third of the movie - getting in and romping around the castle - probably the best in the movie involving getting into the tower and the shenanigans that follow. Our protagonist has a lot of fun goofing around with pretty much everyone else including the antagonists....never really totally serious. This is a playful fun movie with a good mix of adventure and action worthy of at least one sitting surely.

Best animated film ever made

Author: Pete Siekierski (psiekier@aol.com) from Texas, USA
3 August 1999

Cagliostro Castle is, quite simply, the best animated film ever made. I love the plot, the humour, the development of Monkey Punch's classic cast of characters...

This is what Hudson Hawk should have been.

Page 4 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]