IMDb > Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro (1979) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Rupan sansei: Kariosutoro no shiro

Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro More at IMDbPro »Rupan sansei: Kariosutoro no shiro (original title)

Page 3 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Fun, terrific film

Author: Eviljomr (eviljomer@hotmail.com) from Texas
1 January 2000

This is one of those movies that anyone who likes movies owes it to themself to watch (even if they hate cartoons). It's been awhile since I've had near this much fun watching a movie, it has a real James Bond/Diabolik/Indiana Jones/Jackie Chan kind of thing going on. Of course, this is a film by Hayao Miyazaki, who couldn't make a bad film if he tried. The animation may seem a little "old" to those spoiled by slick 90's animation, but I think this is a really well-animated film, it has a sense of realism and live-action while at the same time doing some things that would be impossible (or unbelievably dangerous) to do in a live-action film. The music is good too, despite not being done by Joe Hisashi.

The film does expect you to be somewhat familiar with the characters going into it, which some might complain about, but you have to remember that this is part of a fairly long-running series. I did see another, more recently made, film in the Lupin III series before seeing Castle of Cagliostro, so I did have some idea of the characters. I think a good sequal shouldn't waste time re-introducing characters we already know.

This is a terrific film, one I would love to see a good DVD of. I really hope the attention given to Miyazaki's film Princess Mononoke causes people to check out some of his earlier work, like this film.

Lupin's Best!

Author: Mayumi Yamada (cerise_rouge@hotmail.com) from Taiwan
25 January 1999

This story is more a fairy tale than a thieves' story. It makes your eyes go 0_0 and it is considered one of Lupin's best adventures. I wonder if Hayao Miyazaki did this by himself, or whether he was helped by some other European writer/cartoon artist. It seems to be precise to be made by a Japanese; or has he lived in Europe for many years?

One of the best adventures ever made!

Author: Jim Tinniswood from Brisbane, Australia
27 November 1998

The Castle Of Cagliostro was the first Japanese animated film I ever saw, and I was hooked onto the craze immediately. But now, I'm finding trouble looking for more movies to match up to it! The movie is full of adventure, hair raising stunts and a twisting plot which keeps the audience interested. I cannot recommend enough that you see this movie, and if any Hollywood producers are reading this (unlikely), PLEASE MAKE THIS INTO A LIVE ACTION MOVIE!!!

An animated masterpiece

Author: croatoan1 from Denver, Colorado
23 November 1998

Perhaps one of anime director Hayao Miyazaki's most underrated productions, "Rupan sansei Kariosutoro no shiro" is still, in my opinion, one of his best -- and one of my favorite anime of all-time. It's storytelling, high adventure, and slapstick comedy at it's best. And main character Lupin, (a.k.a. The Wolf in the English-language release) gentleman thief and part-time hero, is probably one of the most fully realized characters in anime.

The animation is beautiful, with a fluidity, complexity, and attention to detail that's uncommon even in contemporary titles (a Miyazaki trademark), despite being somewhat simplistic by today's standards. And the story is easily worthy of Hitchcock (albiet, by way of Jim Carrey!). Having seen both the subtitled and the dubbed versions of this film, I would strongly recommend either one to any fan of anime, animation, or film in general. (U.S. release title - The Castle of Cagliostro)

A Great Anime Film by Miyazaki

Author: DJKennedy90 (DJKennedy90@yahoo.com) from United States
21 February 2006

When I first decided to watch this, I was unfamiliar to the director's other works and only wanted to watch this because it has Lupin III in it. As the film went on, I discovered that the Lupin in this movie isn't the exact same Lupin in the T.V. series, but a more serious one. Sure the film is pretty much light-hearted, but we see an unfamiliar side to Lupin than the one in anime (or at least to my knowledge). The man who directed this movie, Miyazaki, was one of the main animators/ directors of the Lupin III series and is the director of Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away and I consider him to be one of the greatest directors of our time. His unique way a delivering a story is a rare gem in the coal mine that is the movie industry (which includes animated and non-animated movies). The ending of this movie is a touching (a word I don't use much) and wonderful ending. Just be sure to get a newer one on DVD, where they use the actual name of Lupin instead of "Wolf", which Lupin is a direct translation of from French (I think).

Underrated anime flick.

Author: JeffG. from Boston, MA
31 October 1999

This movie is an absolute blast to watch! Represents the Lupin series at its best. A fine anime film that doesn't seem to get the attention it deserves. Then again, nothing less could be expected from the man who gave us "Kiki's Delivery Service" and "Princess Mononoke." It's a bit hard to find since it's been out of print for some time. But if you can find a copy, it's well worth checking out. Hopefully this masterpiece will be reissued on video someday.

Marvelously Zany!

Author: griffolyon12 from United States
13 March 2010

This is a review of the film, Lupin the 3rd: The Castle of Cagliostro. To have never seen anything related to Lupin the 3rd before, this film surprisingly plays extremely well. It is kind of like a more over-the-top James Bond picture, with just as much style and pizazz but with more lovable characters.

Lupin the 3rd: The Castle of Cagliostro is an adventure film in the best sense, directed by the then unknown Hayao Miyazaki, who went on to receive critical acclaim for films like My Neighbor Totoro and Princess Mononoke. The film follows the adventure of master thief Lupin the 3rd and his crew as they go on a search to discover the source of the notorious goat bills (counterfeit money). This leads him to the Castle of Cagliostro where he gets mixed up within a grand scale adventure to save a beautiful Duchess from the clutches of the evil Count who presides over the castle.

The film is fun, very slick, and very stylish, filled to the brim with cartoonish action that is over-the-top, but the film's overall world is painted in the same tones so it fits seamlessly. One stand out sequence is a car chase where Lupin and his friend drive up the side of a cliff to overtake the bad guy's car. It is zany and hilarious, and also made me feel just like a kid again, as if I was sitting there watching a Saturday morning cartoon.

Within this film, one can already see many of Miyazaki's trademarks at play. The main character has a mysterious past that ties in to the core of the story. A favoring of ancient civilizations. Crazy flying contraptions. All Miyazaki touches that would later be used to great effect in at least half of his films after this one, for this reason alone the film is worth watching for a Miyazaki fan, but not only that the film features terrific characters.

Lupin is a charming individual who never seems to be able to take a matter seriously, but that is what makes him all the more lovable. Only in a film like this will you find a gun-totting sidekick alongside a samurai swordsman, a Count, a spy, an Interpol agent, and a beautiful Duchess. The characters are all well-rounded, all serve a part in the story, and it all manages to add an extra layer to this film that keeps it from being a forgettable adventure movie.

I would actually recommend watching this film on a Saturday morning, so that you can be taken back to your childhood, because Lupin the 3rd: The Castle of Cagliostro is one fun, zany ride that will have you laughing and filled with raw excitement, much like you did when you watched the great Saturday morning cartoons of your childhood.

I give Lupin the 3rd: The Castle of Cagliostro a perfect 10 out of 10!

Not Lupin but pretty good

Author: msejdb from United Kingdom
14 September 2009

A lot of people criticise this as not being Lupin - which to a degree is true, especially if you watch the English dub version. The subtitled version is somewhat better but still not really Lupin - the lack of his dogged pursuit of Fujiko being one aspect. The dynamic between Jigen and Lupin is wrong with Jigen seemingly his employee rather than his equal.

Having said that Miyazaki can tell a good story and this is no exception, so enjoy it for what it is and hopefully it will bring a lot of people into an appreciation of the 'real' Lupin. Another plus is the animation which is obviously of a high standard being Ghibli - this can be missing in some of the Lupin films.

Make sure you watch some of the Lupin episodes created by Monkey Punch if you liked this you will surely be a fan ;-)

Great pre-Ghibli Hayao Miyazaki film

Author: Tweekums from United Kingdom
17 July 2009

Having enjoyed all of Hayao Miyazaki's later Studio Ghibli films I had to watch this when it was shown on television even though they were only showing the English dub.

The design of the characters is more basic that I'd come to expect of Miyazaki but it is hardly surprising that an earlier work would be as detailed as his later works. This also has a more cartoony feel too, with characters doing things that are only possible in cartoons such as swimming up a waterfall. That said I don't think these things are bad, in fact I'm sure they will earn a laugh from younger viewers.

The story is fun and exciting from the start; our hero, although he is called Wolf in the dub I saw I will still refer to him as Lupin, and his sidekick have just robbed a casino and are fleeing in a car stuffed with cash. Lupin realises that the money is in fact a very good forgery. He works out that is must be being made in the tiny country of Cagliostro. Soon after arriving there he witnesses a car full of goons attempting to catch a young lady driving a 2CV. He manages to rescue her from this group but later loses her to another group on a boat. His only clue to who she is is a distinctive ring. He finds out that she a princess who has been abducted by the evil Count of Cagliostro who intends to marry her in order to fulfil a prophecy which says a great treasure will be revealed when their two families unite.

Once Lupin has made his way into the castle he must outfox the count, his goons and Inspector Zenigata, an honest policeman who is has been after Lupin for some time. He also meets up with Fujiko, a female cat burglar who is after the treasure. The action that follows includes an autogyro, running across the rooftops and a dramatic confrontation on the tower's clock face.

This is a really fun caper film. The characters are great; Lupin is pretty funny and the counts is suitably evil. I recommend it to anybody who has enjoyed Miyazaki's later works. I can't say how it compares to other Lupin stories as this is the only one that I've seen.

First Miyazaki film

Author: emasterslake from United States
11 April 2005

This is a great movie. And the first Lupin the 3rd film I've ever seen. Specially when this was Hayao Miyazaki's first movie entitled as the director.

The movie starts out in Monanco where Lupin(a master thief) and Jigen(a smooth guns man) pull off a robbery at a casino. They successfully stole the money from the casino. And escaped by car. As they drive on the freeway, Lupin notices that the bills are all fake. Jigen couldn't believe that they stole worthless money. But it gave Lupin an idea on what their next heist should be. And that's at the country of Cagliostro. Which is a small European country that's home to the Goat Bill counterfeiting that make copies of the world's currency. They encounter a girl who was chased by a group of thugs by car. After that encounter, Lupin obtains a ring from that girl before asking questions. The ring in fact is something Lupin has seen before 10 years back.

First seen this movie back in spring 2005. I wasn't familiar with the franchise at first. But I soon learned the theme and characters right away.

Animation is excellent for an anime from 1979. Despite it only made within 4 months of time. This movie proves Castle in the Sky isn't Miyazaki's only film containing an actual villain. It's not as breathe taking as Nausicaa or Castle in the Sky, but it's still a worthy Miyazaki movie. It's one of those films I can see over and over.

Highly recommended for the die-hard Miyazaki and Lupin the 3rd fans.

I rate it 8/10, after seeing this film, it made me a bigger Lupin the 3rd fan than before.

Page 3 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]