IMDb > Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro (1979) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Rupan sansei: Kariosutoro no shiro

Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro More at IMDbPro »Rupan sansei: Kariosutoro no shiro (original title)

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Worthy of respect it's denied

Author: Ryuji Henderson (ryujinospam@umich.edu) from University of Michigan
16 January 1999

Hilarious comedy, tasteful romance, intense action, and colorful characters.. . No one who sees this movie would believe it was a low-budget 1979 flop. With world name director Miyazaki (few of his movies rank under 9 even on this database), the highly successful Lupin cast and the angelic Shimamoto as Clarisse, who WOULD believe it failed? This movie is the most underrated movie of all time.

Just make sure you acquire a GOOD translation, if one exists. Carl "the Butcher" Macek's Streamline Pictures release got horrible ratings due to his unchecked editors, unfaithful translators and third-rate voice actors. Fan-made subtitled copies are far more enjoyable, but quality is still not guaranteed. Good luck hunting; this movie is gold.

Best Animated Movie Ever

Author: Shawn Watson from The Penumbra
28 January 2001

The second big screen outing of Lupin III is already one of the best Anime movies ever made, while rivalling anything Disney or Pixar has to offer. Green ogres, fat superheroes or a zillion gigabytes of computer animation still cannot compare to 12 frames of hand drawn charm.

For the uninitiated, Lupin III is the grandson of Arsene Lupin, the gentleman thief, created by Maurice Leblanc in the Twenties. He's always breaking into some impenetrable vault, or has a zillion gadgets up his sleeve to help with escaping if things go awry. He's also rather wacky and buffoonish, which makes his antics a joy to watch.

Hayao Miyazaki (Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle), in his movie debut, tones down the out of control wackiness of the Lupin III TV show and gives Lupin a rather decent plot to dig his teeth into. This is not an excuse to string together a bunch of insane set pieces.

Seconds after robbing a Monte Carlo casino, Lupin and Jigen discover that every dollar note they have swiped is a fake. Only one place in the world is known to make these counterfeits and Lupin's underworld knowledge leads them to the tiny European country of Cagliostro (think Luxemburg, only much, much smaller).

Half a moment after crossing the border, Lupin and Jigen are involved in a car chase and rescue the Lady Clarisse from a bunch of goons. But she's promptly kidnapped again, though manages to leave Lupin a clue in the form of a strange wedding ring.

Their suspicions over the kidnapping lead them to the titular castle where they discover that an evil Count has seized control of the country, using - guess what? - funny money. And the ring is the key to a great treasure that can only be uncovered when the Lady Clarisse is married to the Count.

Lupin deliberately blows his cover to Inspector Zenigata (the perpetually stressed Interpol officer who is always chasing him) as a diversion, while he breaks into the castle to rescue Clarisse. What follows is scene after scene of hairs breadth escapes and impossible scenarios.

Miyazaki's attention to detail is what truly elevates this beyond typical animation quality. There are enough moments of quietness and atmosphere to balance out the loud scenes. A strong sense of setting also comes from the imaginative "photography". Too many animated movies disorientate the audience with frenetic direction and over-indulgence, but Castle Of Cagliostro works so much better by taking its time and choosing the best angles to cover the action. His trademark flying machines and overeating scenes make their first big screen appearance here.

Far from his typical sub-genre of eco-friendly animation, Miyazaki is obviously a big fan of Lupin and has made a movie that refuses to be missed. Even Spielberg called CoC "one of the best adventure movies ever." Any fan of Miyazaki should check out this film immediately.

One should be aware that the Maurice Leblanc estate doesn't entirely approve of the Lupin III franchise. As a result he is mostly known in the new Optimum Region 2 DVD version as "Wolf" (get it?). The Manga release of this film was entirely re-dubbed in English with Lupin restored but the new Optimum DVD uses the original English voice actors.

WAY better than expected!!

Author: princesszandra from usa
5 September 2004

I don't like Japanese anime most of the time. In fact, the only anime I genuinely love comes from Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli. Now, I knew this movie was a Miyazaki film, but the fact that I'd never even SEEN or READ Lupin the series made me veeery hesitant to check this movie out. I'd seen it at the Library movie section but wasn't willing to fork over the one dollar to rent it.

I finally saw it yesterday, thanks to my sister, and MAN! was it awesome! I didn't expect it to play out like a regular Miyazaki film, but it did in every aspect I can think of: the animation style, the facial expressions, the plot, storyline and script, and the overall feel of the movie screamed Miyazaki. By the end, I even learned to love Lupin and the whole cast of characters who were all strangers to me at the beginning of the movie.

Aside from the corny 70's music, this movie was fun every step of the way. It was funny, romantic, dramatic, action-packed: everything! So I guess that sums it up well. I'm sorry I didn't watch it before, so now i'm telling you--GET THIS MOVIE! I'm sure you will find at least something in it that will entertain you.

What a movie!

Author: Jeremy Bristol from Plattsmouth, NE
26 February 2002

I have two Japanese animated feature films from 1979, this one and one of the sequels to Space Battleship Yamato. Compared to the animation in Yamato (which is flat and often motionless), Lupin is Snow White. There is so much movement (more than some of Miyazaki's later films), and there are some truly incredible "set" pieces (Lupin scaling a sheer castle wall, for instance). One of the things that has always been noted about Japanese animation is that while it's not as fluid as Disney animation (12 frames per second as opposed to 24, not to mention the animation is generally before the voice track), it has incredible style and originality in its design and cinematography. Lupin is a perfect example of this, and it's no wonder the movie is still so well revered in Japan.

The grand debut of the master of anime

Author: action-6 from Froland, Norway
22 February 2004

"The Castle Of Cagliostro"(TCOC) from 1979 is the grand debut Hayao Miyazaki, one of the world`s finest filmmakers and a master of anime. TCOC is a movie that has it all; action, adventure, romance, comedy. It is a superb movie that appeals to everyone. The main character is Lupin, the master thief, who you may know already if you have read the manga which this is based upon. Lupin travels to a European country called Cagliostro, where he intends to uncover the secret of The Castle Of Cagliostro. This is a must see, and it is also my favorite of all the Miyazaki-films.

Check out the "Madman Cinema" DVD!!!

Author: dashfashion from Australia
9 March 2006

I just saw this on Madman Cinema DVD. I don't know if this is just an Australian distributor, but believe me, they've got their hearts in the right place! I swear I saw this movie when I was a kid, but I always feel that way when I watch Miyazaki's films. This one is my favourite. In terms of adventure movies, I'd say it's second only to "Raiders of the Lost Ark"! At first it's joyous, exhilarating and kind of sweet. Then watch it again and you'll see how clever the writing is and how tightly written the plot is. It does things in adventure movies that could never be done in live action. If this were a traditionally (Disney) animated film it would have sucked. Same if it were done with puppetry, stop-motion animation or CGI. But in the world of Manga, it's a perfect fit. I found it at a local library. See if you can do the same! It's a masterpiece!!!

One of those few Japanese animations that ANYONE can enjoy

Author: Archrival0001 from United States
21 August 2005

Lupin the 3rd is definitely not one of the most...well known franchises in America. It's a shame really, because the only real public exposure to the franchise was with 20 somead episodes they showed on Cartoon Network for a year or so. However, this is the real Lupin. The best in the franchise, and why, therein, it BECAME a franchise.

The movie's plot is...sparce. Frankly, how it ends is pretty predictable, and you know that the heros will win. That's not the fun in the movie though. This shows the old euphanism that "its not the end that matters, but the journey that it took to get there". The movie basically starts out with Lupin and his gun-ho buddy Jigen in a car chase from a very nice bank that they just robbed. They finally get away from the police, but to their shock, they realize that the money they stole was fake bills. So, in real Lupin humor, they just chuck it all out of the car and are done with it, as though the whole thing didn't happen. They then run into a girl being chased by suited men and well....thats pretty much all the spoilers I will give. The name of the day in this film is comedy. You will be hardpressed to find a serious moment in this film that doesn't have a sly, comedy edge to it. This film doesn't take its story too seriously, but instead lets its characters create the atmosphere, and the real reason to watch it. Whether it's Lupin doing the craziest stuff imaginable to save some girl he only slightly knows, Fujiko, the commonplace vixen who is trying to make a quick buck in this whole thing, seducing the villain only to find herself on the wrong end of a gun, or Goemon, Lupin's samurai buddy, blushing at the sight of a pretty girl at the flick of a wrist, you will laugh.

This movie is heavily based on sight gags, and just setting up characters in the right place at the right time to generate something hilarious. But don't let that make you think that it is ever forced, it isn't. It's as fluent as the pace in this movie, which has no wasted moments, just nonstop action and fun. If there is one thing that this movie might fail in, and it is really hard to do that with something like this, it is with the animation. Granted, this movie is, at this writing, approximately 26 years old. And, trust me, the age shows. But really, when you get engrossed enough into the movie, that fact becomes a null factor with all the fun this movie has to offer, and pretty soon you will not even notice that it is animated at all, if not for the superhuman stunts Lupin is able to pull off with his gadgetry.

At the end of this movie, it's hard to say that it wasn't enjoyable. Sure, the movie isn't everyones cup of tea. But, if you have a funny bone that needs tickling, this is definitely something to consider. Even if your not a fan of Japanese anime, this is worthy of a viewing. If "Grave of the Fireflies" is the king of anime, then "Lupin the 3rd-Castle of Caligostro" is the joker.

Awesome!

Author: blind wood
1 March 2006

This movie totally blows my mind.

I've heard of it prior to seeing it but never really expected the movie to be an awesome experience. One of the greatest anime of all time.

Great use of colors. Great flow of storytelling. The landscape is really spellbinding.

Not surprising since it is produced by Ghibli Studio, directed and written by Hayao Miyazaki. This man is the mastermind behind great anime movie such as Totoro:the neighbour, Kiki delivery Service, Laputa the floating castle. That man is a genius with storytelling and spellbinding anime direction.

The movie starts of in cliché style of action movie. As it progress, you are brought along to experience the world of Lupin adventure.

Its really hard to find fault in a movie that delivers such great feeling. Euphoric!

Great early effort by Miyazaki

Author: zetes from Saint Paul, MN
21 December 2000

Ever since I first viewed the Disney-released version of Princess Mononoke last year, I have done everything in my power to see Hayao Miyazaki's other films. My Neighbor Totoro and Kiki's Delivery Service, at least the dubbed versions, were readily available, and they were perfect. The next one I found was this film. It was released on DVD by Manga company. This one does not contain the visual mastery, or even the storytelling mastery, as the other three films of his that I've seen, but there is definitely great promise shining through. The animation is not great. It's a lot more stiff than what would come later. There are a few physics-defying scenes that kind of made me cringe (the car driving sideways up a steep incline, Lupin jumping off the roof of the castle is still able to catch the side of a turret). The story is quite good. It has a lot of excitement, reminiscent of the Indiana Jones movies. The characters are fun. In short, it is just a very entertaining film.

So if you have any interest in anime or in Miyazaki, by all means, the DVD is worth buying. Unfortunately, the Japanese soundtrack is a little weak. The English side is much better for its sound quality, but I realize most animephiles despise dubs; this one is particularly good, and the remastered soundtrack makes it worth it. The DVD has a really nice layout. I was kid of expecting it just to have been thrown on a DVD and sent out. At least they took their time. Now, if Buena Vista Home Entertainment (which had no part of this pre-Ghibli film) would release all of his other films to DVD!!!

The Adventures of Arsene Lupin III

Author: Teebs2 from Kent, UK
22 January 2006

Early feature directed by the now world famous Japanese animator, Hayao Miyazaki. A roguish thief, Lupin III, attempts to save the Lady Clarisse de Cagliostro from an evil Count, both of them well aware that she holds the secret to a legendary hidden treasure.

The animation is, unsurprisingly, much less sophisticated than in the later Studio Ghibli films, or even those released only a few years after such as "Nausicaa". However, the quality is still very high and Miyazaki's trademark attention to detail, particularly with machines, is noticeable already.

The character animation is much broader and more obviously cartoon-like but this matches the very light tone of the film - this is an all-out action comedy adventure, after all! The details in the film give it a very European feel, from the costumes to the cars (wonderfully animated Fiat 500 and Citroen 2CV), and I was most reminded of Herge's "Tintin" adventure series.

This film is good fun, though I did find the pacing a little uneven, and particularly recommended to those who enjoy their animated films a bit simpler and more conventional than most of Studio Ghibli's output.

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]