IMDb > Quadrophenia (1979) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 9 of 10: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

Some incredible moments

Author: Scott Helmke (scott-381) from Ann Arbor, MI, USA
22 February 2003

I've never been able to appreciate the "Catcher in the Rye" sort of character, so the film's protagonist is rather annoying to me.

However, there are some moments which surpass any other problems - definitely a nice match of music to images, such as the Brighton beach shots and a few other areas.

Overall worth seeing once. This is not a documentary, but then nobody else has really covered the mods vs. rockers period so you might as well consider this a historical document.

Fine film adaption of classic Who album

Author: JeffG. from Boston, MA
1 December 1999

The memebers of the who do not appear in this movie, but it features music from the Quadrophenia album and is based on the story told on that album. And it works much better that the Film adaption of Tommy. Fine performances all around, including Sting in his acting debut.

The bottom line is that the story in the film is about adolescence. While Jimmy may be a mod in the early 60's, the whole subject of being a teenager and the insecurities, fears and souls-searching that come with it are timeless. The focus in this movie is not on the Who or their music, but the subject of adolescence.

Deuteronomy chapter 28 meets post-Christian anomie

Author: Nobby Burden from Ibansk
17 January 2015

Some films need to be watched to witness subtleties in the actors' faces, and other films need to be listened to as the plot unfolds; even now with all the technological wizardry, the dialogue is what carries the motion picture. Sadly Quadrophenia lacks both of these necessities. It gets 2 stars for the soundtrack by The Who. That, and the line about comparing Brixton to Calcutta. The 1960s should have been a good time, because WW2 was over, Europe was at peace, we landed on the Moon, and made huge gains in medicine and science. What we got instead was Kennedy's assassination, the Vietnam War, drug abuse, hippies, mods and rockers, and the sexual revolution. The upshot is Jimmy -- a loser at best, and a lost soul at worst -- seeks to find himself by imitating all the losers around him. He has a job, but doesn't do it, he has a girlfriend for whom he feels nothing, and parents who somehow neglected to raise him properly. It's just awful. Simply awful with no redeeming value. Toxic.

hasty pudding alert

Author: jkalen from Rochester NY
28 June 2001

This is an interesting and seemingly accurate account of a 1960's British Mod. However, the film deserves at least one "hasty pudding" award. During a party scene, you can clearly see a compilation album of The Who that was not released until the late 1970's. Fun to see Sting pre-police.

the best movie of the world

Author: Juan Ra from Zaragoza, Spain
10 November 1998

We are the mods¡¡¡¡¡

dissapointing movie but incredible album

Author: charface from New York, New York
26 April 2004

I just bought the movie, Quadrophenia and I must say that I'm quite dissapointed. I love the Who and this album blew my mind away. Since I'm a teenager I could connect to it very well. So i bought the movie this afternoon and just thought it was pointless. The first 3/4 of it is pointless with only a few interesting things happening, but the ending is alright. Sting is pretty cool in the movie, even though I'm not much of a Sting fan and it's funny what happens to him later at the end. Overall, I guess i'll give this movie a 7/10... It is probabably a biased answer since i'm a big Who fan. But if there was no Who music in the movie, I'd give it a 3/10...

So, maybe rent it if you like the Who.

Grange Hill version of Taxi Driver

Author: frankiehudson from UK
19 January 2007

On the 'special features' section of the DVD, the director, Franc Roddam, rightly regrets the cheapness of the opening credits, just cheap old block yellow lettered credits, a bit like Taxi Driver. And that is the film for me, another mythical and legendary yet over-rated film about an anti-hero who goes crazy.

This film is legend, pure and simple. I've obviously heard of it yet, for some reason, took 28 years to get around to watching it. Quadrophenia is in the same mythical realm of legendary films as Gone With the Wind, The Wizard of Oz, The Exorcist, and so forth. It's one of those films that is part of the folklore, although in this instance purely in England (not even Scotland or Wales).

Quadrophenia is totally English; music by The Who, the infantile Mods versus Rockers debate, all down by the seaside at Brighton (where I lived for a year in 1991-92).

Jimmy is just a confused, childish 19 year old (played very ably by Phil Daniels), who gets a bit too obsessed with the whole Mod thing. For some reasons, they throw in this big drug thing, where Jimmy and his mates keep taking tablets. Were Pete Townsend and Roger Daltrey that obsessed – in their mid-thirties by the time they wrote this film – really so childish? Quadrophenia is an interesting social commentary, however, a sort of musical version of the Blue Lamp, or even Hell Drivers, with the scooters a sort of teenage version of the lorries driven by Stanley Baker.

Just about worth watching for the nostalgia and the outside shots of Brighton.

Quadrophenia

Author: Jackson Booth-Millard from United Kingdom
26 November 2011

I should say that the title is based on the name of the song by the band The Who, and they are a band that the lead character of this film likes, anyway, the reason I wanted to see this was purely because of the good looking cast list. Basically, set in 1965, London, Jimmy Cooper (Blur - Parklife's Phil Daniels) is a young man who lives a near reclusive life when it comes to his parents, his job as a mail room worker for an advertising company, and being part of regular society in general. He escapes what he considers the boring side of life by hanging out his fellow Mod teenage pals, including Dave (Mark Wingett), Chalky (Collision's Philip Davis) and Spider (Gary Shail), and they have their rivals, in the gang the Rockers led by Kevin (Nil by Mouth's Ray Winstone). The rivalry between the Mod and the Rockers comes a big head on a bank holiday on the seasides of Brighton when battles and rioting spread, and the police are out to catch all involved in whatever way. After "quickie" sex with long time crush Steph (Men Behaving Badly's Leslie Ash) in an alleyway, Jimmy does end up caught and arrested by the police, alongside the Mod he calls Ace Face (introducing singer Sting), and he gets fined £50, while his companion is fined £75 and mocking the court magistrate. Jimmy returns to London and becomes highly depressed, his mother throws him out for stashing amphetamine pills, he quits his job, spending his last payment on more pills, and he finds out Steph is now the girlfriend Dave. After fighting with Dave, getting a definite from Steph, and his treasured Lambretta scooter ruined in a road accident, Jimmy travels by train back to Brighton, and he is devastated to see that Ace Face is a hotel bellboy, and in the end he decides to finally end his life by driving near a high cliff, and eventually driving the stolen scooter off the edge. Also starring Toyah Willcox as Monkey, Michael Elphick as Father, Timothy Spall as Projectionist and EastEnders' Nasty Nick actor John Altman as John. Daniels as the young man with the love for 60's rock music, and Sting in his acting debut, along with the rest of the cast of young then rising stars in the British film and television industry, do really well, it is fascinating to see them all younger and making their mark for the rest of their future careers, as for the film itself it is realistic in terms of the time period, it has funny moments, it is filled with some dramatic moments, and it is certainly an interesting social drama. Very good!

Very fine rock movie

Author: Mario Bergeron from Cap-de-la-Madeleine, Canada
23 August 2000

I think, as a fan of the Who, that 1969 Tommy's album was very good, but the movie from Russell was awful. I think that the Who Quadrophenia album was boring, but this 1979 movie is very good! As a rock fan, I also think that rock movies are always dumb and stupid. Like say... Detroit Rock City! Because in the USA and Canada, we also think that what's old is necessary stupid and dumb. This is not the case here. Quadrophenia is very realistic of the British youth of the 1960's and the mod movement. Young actors here are all doing a very fine job. For me, Quadrophenia and American Graffitti are the two most valuable rock movies of all time.

Things I like about this film...

Author: Paparazzo-1 from United Kingdom
12 November 2009

* The "who's the daddy now" guy from Scum.

* The Bisto advert dad from the 80s.

* The guy from Boon.

* The King of 'sensible pop'.

* The girlfriend from Men behaving Badly who isn't fat

* Some bird in Eastenders

* Mr Bennet from Pride and Prejudice

But despite all the B-listers, it's a pretty dull movie. Like modern British movies, it's full of over-polished 'northern' actors getting their accent stereotypically correct, with over over-simplistic images of 60s British culture, to appeal to an American audience.

There's nothing truly 'gritty', 'uncompromisingly realistic' or even particularly interesting here.

If you've got a fast forward button, proceed to 70 mins in for a mildly entertaining riot / fight scene. Otherwise you're not missing too much if you reach for the next DVD.

Page 9 of 10: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]