IMDb > Quadrophenia (1979) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 3 of 10: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

Quadrophonic excellence

Author: videorama-759-859391 from adelaide, australia
15 December 2014

I love this movie. Hell, I'd marry it if I could. It's my favorite rock movie with some British actors, who I really like, where in their younger acting years, they really impress, in a movie that can only be described as a faultless rock musical, masterpiece. Jimmy (Daniels) is a sixties rebel, who's so frustrated with his place in life. He has a courier job, is taking flack from his parents, that results in arguments, and he wants the girl his mate's doin'. We can relate with this character so well, us loners, where Jimmy's got a lot of bad energy, and it's going in the wrong places. Near the end of the film, he becomes such a desperate and pathetic mess, finally driving him to steal Sting's flashy scooter and total it off a cliff. Watch all the anger that pours out of Jimmy when he crashes his bike with a truck. But this is what Jimmy is, a very angry driven teen, and Daniels (one of my favorite British actors, and a bloody underrated one at that) plays him to a tee. I was thankful too, for the time a young Ray Winstone had in this, an old friend of Jimmy's who's popped back in town, and has decided to become a punk rocker, much to other people's disapproval, including Daniels. Two other actors from Scum have brief roles in this too. I loved the scene with Winstone, explaining and defending himself to Daniels in his backyard, a seasoned professional. The film, heavy on rock, is just one music pounding experience with a lot of bad language, where there are a couple of frighteningly violent moments. There's a foreboding of what crazy s..t, our unstable Daniels is gonna do next, but it's him, who sells this film. One notable feature is Sting's haircut. He's another rebel here with his own posse. Quadrophenia just managed to entertain me all the way through. It doesn't have fancy shots, though the long shots of a bleak Brighton were memorable, I felt so cold watching this town. It doesn't have fancy color, and the dialogue, isn't t the best I've heard. What it does have are engaging performances, amongst 60's culture, the environment, and it's conditions. With Daniels taking us through the story, it's one cool ride, and a cult rocker classic.

Modding does not get any tougher

Author: Prismark10 from United Kingdom
27 October 2014

From the creator of Masterchef, here is something Franc Roddam made earlier. A film about being young in the 1960s being part of the Mod subculture and alienation and angst with some good tunes and a lot of future cast members of Eastenders if The Bill had not go to them first.

Phil Daniels gives a career defining performance that should had got an Oscar nomination as Jimmy who has a mundane job , boring home life with parents who do not understand him and lives for the weekend clubbing with friends, popping pills and getting into scrapes with his mates.

Jimmy and his friends go off to a bank holiday weekend in Brighton, he wants to get close with girlfriend Lesley Ash, in awe to cool dude Sting and gets in a rumble with greasers.

However Jimmy gets more disillusioned losing his job, friends and family. Seeing Sting as just an ordinary bell boy sends him to the edge.

The film quickly became a cult classic, This Who produced film led to the revival of the late 1970s & early 1980s mod scene. It has some cool tracks, a lot of humour, earthy language and a cast of now familiar actors. In a sense its like a British version of Saturday Night Fever and director Franc Roddam gives this drama a sense of rawness and some vitality when you see the action scenes in Brighton.

The Who's 1973 Album come to life as a feature film staring Phil Daniels and Leslie Ash.

Author: Elliotb-butler18
3 September 2013

Quadrophenia is one of the best films i have ever seen. As me and my family are MODs we love this film. I am only 15 and when i first watched this film it instantly went to the top of my favorite films list. I own over 350 films and counting and this film is the top of my list. In my opinion you need to be a MOD or have an understanding of the concept of MODs and Rockers to fully appreciate this film. The film follows on the Who's 1973 album Quadrophenia which tells the story of Jimmy, a young MOD popping pills and out with his scooter riding mates. Phil Daniels gives a powerful performance as Jimmy with Sting as the Ace Face, the MOD who Jimmy idolized until he finds he is nothing but a bell boy in a hotel and is a nobody. In my opinion the end scene with Jimmy on the ace faces Vespa riding across the cliffs of Brighton with the Who's song I've had enough playing. This is one of the most powerful scenes in film history and i absolutely love it. Love, Reign o'er me. 10 stars out of 10 easy.

Good Adaptation of the Album

Author: Michael_Elliott from Louisville, KY
15 February 2013

Quadrophenia (1979)

*** (out of 4)

The Who's 1973 rock opera was turned into a feature film and centers on Jimmy (Phil Daniels), a teenager in the U.K. who deals with a wide range of issues but most of them surrounding growing up in the era. QUADROPHENIA, the album, is considered one of the band's greatest as well as one of the greatest ever made. I never was a big fan of the film TOMMY but I found this one here to be much better overall. I think the greatest thing going for this film is the soundtrack, which not only includes The Who songs from this album but we also get some of their older material (a memorable bit on My Generation) as well as songs from other artists. This soundtracks is certainly something terrific and The Who songs are put to good use here. Another thing working well is the performance of Daniels who perfectly nails this troubled character. I thought he was extremely believable from the start to the finish as he perfectly nailed the various emotions that this teenager is going through. I thought he was especially good towards the end once the guy starts to finally have a breakdown. Leslie Ash is also very cute and charming in her supporting bit. Director Franc Roddam doesn't add too much style to the picture but I found this to be a good thing. What the director does a great job with is the rawness of the picture. It almost feels as if you're watching a documentary on a real group of people because the look and feel of the picture are so on the mark.

"Uppers and downers - either way blood flows"

Author: pyrocitor from Ontario, Canada
10 August 2016

If Easy Rider proved the elegiac tombstone for the 1960s American dream, Quadrophenia happily tosses up a v-sign as its British counterpart. It's as rousing and evocative a portrait of youth culture and the stagnation and self-destructive impotence of aimless rebellion as any, with a scrappy sense of "f*ck it" helping keep its angst in check. A cornerstone of '70s British cinema, Quadrophenia may tread (debatably intentionally) familiar ground in its microcosmic coming of age parable in 1960s mods 'n rockers England, but with the guitars, synths, and Daltry blaring and the scooters growling, it's hard not to be swept up in its infectious, furious, and often beautiful listlessness.

Although Quadrophenia is adapted from the second rock opera by the almost peerlessly superb the Who, gone are the trippy, surrealist musical trappings of Tommy's big screen debut. Instead, director Franc Roddam skews for gritty period authenticity in conveying the war for 1960s British youth culture, which is strikingly immersive in the uncanny disjuncture between immaculately precise fashion, and the grimy, bloody, and emotionally fraught world the mods and rockers throw down in. We have our uppers: Jimmy grinning infectiously as he trawls around in his beloved scooter, dancing like a maniac on the rafters of a mod club, and the film's centrepiece beach brawl/riot, startlingly believable in its kinetic, infectious, "we are the mods" braying frenzy. We have our downers: Jimmy's burnout downward spiral, being thrown out by a screeching mother and erupting at the prissy boss of his soulless day job, is so flamboyant even one of his mod buds whispers "Is there trouble at home?" like a concerned parent, in one of the film's many viciously funny-sad moments. "Either way," as the band themselves quip, "blood flows," and the music is the film's life-blood here, pounding away with an ace soundtrack by the Kinks and Yardbirds, as well as the incomparable Who.

Granted, even in 1979, Quadrophenia's howl of adolescent angst felt like something we'd heard too many times before, amidst the countless radio broadcasts warning of the psychotic epidemic of the "teen-agers" and their flamin' rock music. Still, Roddamn and the Who cough up every ounce of passion in revisiting it, while the inevitable Sting-bellboy twist collapses the entire pipe dream with a hilarious sombre reflexivity. All the while, Roddamn rounds the package with a pinch of haunting iconicity - Jimmy brooding and pacing by the pier at Brighton like a mod Rebel Without a Cause and zooming across the cliffs on his scooter are the definitive ones, but his bug-eyed manic panic, slathered in eyeshadow, on the 5:15 train as the Who's titular track blares is also one for the ages. Familiar as Jimmy's tribulations may be, Quadrophenia pulses with vibrant urgency, lending his journey the all-consuming urgency that only a teenager's crisis can conjure.

Apart from the ongoing game of 'spot the future star' in the cast of wholly convincing British supporting players (hi Ray Winstone and Timothy Spall!), Phil Daniels gives a blistering, harshly believable performance as Jimmy, embodying the overstimulating torments of adolescent life with enough of a frantic, scrappy magnetism to remain wanly sympathetic even in the midst of one of cinema's most petulant teen burnouts. Leslie Ash is luminously unpredictable as the object of Jimmy's young lust, and Ash is entirely believable as the party girl out for a lark, but unafraid to lash out at those more hypocritical than her. Finally, an on-the-cusp-of-mega-stardom Sting is beyond perfection as the impossibly suave figurehead of the mods, radiating effortless cool, but with the sublimely, sadly funny twist of him sulkily emasculated, subsumed by the system in his menial bellboy job, looming under his scruffy jacketed nonchalance.

Jimmy may feign struggling with a four-way split personality, but his film couldn't be more cohesive and in tune. Rough and tumble, gritty, moody, fun, and genuine as they come, all while roaring along with a riotously awesome set of tunes, Quadrophenia is the real deal. And if it has more passion than profundity or innovation to shed on the angst of growing up, seeing 'the real me,' and finding one's way in a barmy world? Well, that's part of the point, my son. So, grab your bellboy hat and mod jacket, and hop on your scooter. Because no matter what generation you are, Quadrophenia is the lament of 'my generation,' and worth experiencing at full-tilt.

-9/10

Mods, Rockers and Pill poppers

Author: Connor James Stevenson Wright from Gorleston, England
20 March 2015

Quadrophenia is definitely one of the essential British films. If you want to get into British films this is definitely at the top of the list with films like Get Carter, A Hard Day's Night, Alfie and Trainspotting.

The film is based off the iconic 1973 album of the same name by The Who. Both the album or (or rock opera as a lot of people call it) and the film are both fantastic in there own ways.

The film throws you into an iconic era. London in the early 1960's to be exact. It puts us in the middle of the Mod movement through the character of Jimmy. A disgruntled young adult who wants to be somebody, hence why he's a mod. This includes popping pills like they are tic tacs, fighting the Rockers (The opposing group to the Mods), having sex, swearing like there is no tomorrow and trying to fit in.

To briefly finish as if you haven't seen this film you should really watch it. Here is 3 reasons why you should watch Quadrophenia. 1. The direction and cinematography. Frank Roddam who directed documentaries before this film came out was the perfect choice. The film has a social realist/documentary style yet it still looks stylistic to an extent. The lenses used gives the lighting in night scenes a beautiful look. 2. The cast. Full of British actors we all know and love. Phil Daniels. Who plays the anti-hero Jimmy. Then there is Phillip Davies, Lesley Ash, Mark Wingett, Toyah Wilcox, Ray Winstone and even singer Sting. The cast is huge and diverse. That alone warrants a watch. 3. The soundtrack. As I said the album is fantastic and It is great that the majority of songs are in the film. It adds the rock edge to the film. And there are some nice additions of songs like Be my Baby etc. Even there is a use of My Generation in a digetic fashion which doesn't make sense as the film is set in 1964 it doesn't take me out of the film.

So if you have not seen Quadrophenia watch it. It deserves much higher then a 7.3. And it deserves to be seen by everyone.

a reenactment of a troubling generation

Author: lasttimeisaw from China
2 December 2013

Stumbling upon this eponymous tie-in of THE WHO's 1973 rock opera album QUADROPHENIA comes as simple as a happenstance out of a grab bag, haven't heard of the album and being an outsider to this period of mods fashion, it is a primitive yet purest experience to appreciate a film on its own terms.

It is another REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE (1955, 8/10) youth ill at ease, a telling zeitgeist encapsulation recounts a young mod's contradiction against the world in 1960s, his family, his job, his friends, his idol, and his love interest, all fail to gratify him. When the only thing he is left with is a revamped vespa, his destructive bravado indicates whether it is a resounding emblem of all perish together or a belated disillusion to bode farewell to his vapid and futile past? Fortunately the film chooses the latter (unlike the album's more radical stance), so it is a more generically pleasing alternative, but since our protagonist is not such a sympathetic character, a whiff of insouciance is irrevocable to eschew even in the culminating sequences alongside a magnificent precipice.

The mods vs. rockers commotions play a key role in venting the discontent among sociopaths, anarchists and boredom-driven young generation, which is universally pertinent to elsewhere in the world, we may blame youth for their narrow-minded prejudices, but the adult world depicted here is no more appealing neither. Phil Daniels and his pals (Wingett, Davis and Shail) exude excellent street cred of the fashion, although none of them galvanizes me into any further inspection, save Leslie Ash's promiscuous lass, she is the only one seems to be cool about what's happening around and understand the ephemeral phase of idiocy. Sting has a supporting role as mechanical as one can imagine despite of his gorgeousness, and a budding Ray Winstone in his seldom seen role as the injured party of a brawl.

The songs from the namesake album segues fluently throughout the film, nostalgia works much better in audio than visual this time I must say, it is a movie attracts its own cult followers and its socio-cultural astuteness may be worthy of a conscientious rediscovery if put inside a time capsule and wait to be exhumed a few more generations later.

Great Film with mesmerising soundtrack

Author: Wrapper30 from United Kingdom
11 January 2011

I love this film for its simplicity and its absolutely brilliant soundtrack by the Who. Phil Daniels stands out as the mod who changes from disillusioned to moody and then almost psychotic as he gets the 5.15 to Brighton out of his head on pills. There are some great supporting performances though. Michael Elphick is superb as Jimmy's dad and Mark Wingett as his mate and Leslie Ash as Steph are equally effective. Sting as the hero Ace Face has a great screen presence and Toyah as Monkey is infectious. There are so many great scenes in this film but my favourite is where Jimmy and his dad argue about the Who on TV. Who hasn't had that conversation with their parents. A great advert for British films.

A film with a heart

Author: (quadmodbook@yahoo.co.uk) from United Kingdom
21 April 2006

This is a film whose central theme remains pertinent to us all, at any age: the quest for self-knowledge. The concept of attempting to discover just who and what we are is of course, a massive undertaking but in Quadrophenia, young Mod Jimmy Cooper, perfectly portrayed by a frown-some Phil Daniels, sets forth on his own path. Living in a life of an office boy during the day it is only at night and across the much-anticipated weekends that young Jim and his Mod mates that includes a host of telly and film faces that you will probably, come to life. Living their multicoloured lives by popping pills, chasing girls, socialising and riding their modern day horses, their Lambretta and vespa scooters. Of course, being absorbed in the modly world eventually proves problematic to an intense lad like Jimmy and things proved not to be as they seem for him. It is a film which I have seen many, many times and loved so much that I wrote a book all about it titled Chasing the Wind: A Quadrophenia Anthology. Quadrophenia is a tale that despite its shortcomings is rightly held as a true cult classic. But it is so much more than that. It's accessibility makes it more watchable than you would imagine if you only know Quadrophenia by way of reputation. Full of pain, passion, longing, confusion and humour. See it.

Only film portraying the Mod Scene from the 6 T's

Author: nowitsgone from York, England
3 July 2004

I First saw quadrophenia in 1979. It played a massive part in my life and i have watched this film over and over again. The film has some funny, sad, and some exciting moments which will appeal to all audiences. Quadrophenia is probably the first major film to encourage the onslaught of youth culture movies from the eighties, nineties to the present day. I think its true to say that this movie really bites hard and portrays in a factual way the life of a young guy from London in the 6T's. Jimmy Cooper is a Mod (short for Modernist) and the film tells the tale of his life growing up under difficult circumstances - his family are working class, his girlfriend is an easy lay, his job is dead end and the only real thing thats keeps him going is his love for mates, his music, his scooter and his drug taking! It is a sure watch for all Mods, fans of British films, lovers of the Who, 6 T's throw-backs and all......This film launched the careers of a cast of young British actors and actresses like Sting, ray winstone, toyah wilcox toname a few. the film also has some great acting from the likes of Boon favourite Michael Elphick! Buy it , rent it or wait for the 25 year revival in July.... Remember : There are millions like us :

Page 3 of 10: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]