IMDb > Quadrophenia (1979) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Quadrophenia More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

If you like Mods, watch this!

Author: British_Revolver from United States
24 June 2005

"Quadrophenia" is a great story about a teenager living in Britain during the Rockers vs. Mods movement. Phil Daniels captured the film as Jimmy Cooper, the cool, yet, sophisticated, drugged out Mod who goes through many obstacles. I really think that The Who did a great job with this film and I wished that they could've done another one like this. It was also a good film because of Sting (Ace).

Not many people know about the Mods or what teenage life was like back then in 1963; so I'm glad that this came out. I would recommend this movie to anybody who likes The Who or just wants to lay back and watch a British drama.

Coming-of-age drama with neat music and a great cast

Author: Leofwine_draca from United Kingdom
3 May 2015

QUADROPHENIA is a cult classic movie that explores the life and loves of a Mod living in Britain in the 1960s. The lead character is played by Phil Daniels, a familiar face from British television, and he gives an exemplary performance as an awkward but likable youth struggling to grow up and make it in the adult world.

Produced by The Who, QUADROPHENIA offers as its backdrop a portrait of 1960s era Brighton and the like, where battles between the Mods and Rockers are just around the corner and a great soundtrack generally accompanies the action. I'll be the first to admit I'm not a huge fan of this era - I missed it by a long shot - but this likable drama paints a solid picture of the times.

It's also remarkable as a "before they were famous" movie, featuring performances from the likes of Ray Winstone, Timothy Spall, Leslie Ash, Phil Davis, Michael Elphick, even Sting before they hit the big time. Barely a minute or two goes by without a familiar face, and it's fair to say that everyone is putting plenty of effort into their performances. It's this level of enthusiasm all round which has led to QUADROPHENIA's well-deserved cult status.

Mods, Rockers and Pill poppers

Author: Connor James Stevenson Wright from Gorleston, England
20 March 2015

Quadrophenia is definitely one of the essential British films. If you want to get into British films this is definitely at the top of the list with films like Get Carter, A Hard Day's Night, Alfie and Trainspotting.

The film is based off the iconic 1973 album of the same name by The Who. Both the album or (or rock opera as a lot of people call it) and the film are both fantastic in there own ways.

The film throws you into an iconic era. London in the early 1960's to be exact. It puts us in the middle of the Mod movement through the character of Jimmy. A disgruntled young adult who wants to be somebody, hence why he's a mod. This includes popping pills like they are tic tacs, fighting the Rockers (The opposing group to the Mods), having sex, swearing like there is no tomorrow and trying to fit in.

To briefly finish as if you haven't seen this film you should really watch it. Here is 3 reasons why you should watch Quadrophenia. 1. The direction and cinematography. Frank Roddam who directed documentaries before this film came out was the perfect choice. The film has a social realist/documentary style yet it still looks stylistic to an extent. The lenses used gives the lighting in night scenes a beautiful look. 2. The cast. Full of British actors we all know and love. Phil Daniels. Who plays the anti-hero Jimmy. Then there is Phillip Davies, Lesley Ash, Mark Wingett, Toyah Wilcox, Ray Winstone and even singer Sting. The cast is huge and diverse. That alone warrants a watch. 3. The soundtrack. As I said the album is fantastic and It is great that the majority of songs are in the film. It adds the rock edge to the film. And there are some nice additions of songs like Be my Baby etc. Even there is a use of My Generation in a digetic fashion which doesn't make sense as the film is set in 1964 it doesn't take me out of the film.

So if you have not seen Quadrophenia watch it. It deserves much higher then a 7.3. And it deserves to be seen by everyone.

Quadrophonic excellence

Author: videorama-759-859391 from adelaide, australia
15 December 2014

I love this movie. Hell, I'd marry it if I could. It's my favorite rock movie with some British actors, who I really like, where in their younger acting years, they really impress, in a movie that can only be described as a faultless rock musical, masterpiece. Jimmy (Daniels) is a sixties rebel, who's so frustrated with his place in life. He has a courier job, is taking flack from his parents, that results in arguments, and he wants the girl his mate's doin'. We can relate with this character so well, us loners, where Jimmy's got a lot of bad energy, and it's going in the wrong places. Near the end of the film, he becomes such a desperate and pathetic mess, finally driving him to steal Sting's flashy scooter and total it off a cliff. Watch all the anger that pours out of Jimmy when he crashes his bike with a truck. But this is what Jimmy is, a very angry driven teen, and Daniels (one of my favorite British actors, and a bloody underrated one at that) plays him to a tee. I was thankful too, for the time a young Ray Winstone had in this, an old friend of Jimmy's who's popped back in town, and has decided to become a punk rocker, much to other people's disapproval, including Daniels. Two other actors from Scum have brief roles in this too. I loved the scene with Winstone, explaining and defending himself to Daniels in his backyard, a seasoned professional. The film, heavy on rock, is just one music pounding experience with a lot of bad language, where there are a couple of frighteningly violent moments. There's a foreboding of what crazy s..t, our unstable Daniels is gonna do next, but it's him, who sells this film. One notable feature is Sting's haircut. He's another rebel here with his own posse. Quadrophenia just managed to entertain me all the way through. It doesn't have fancy shots, though the long shots of a bleak Brighton were memorable, I felt so cold watching this town. It doesn't have fancy color, and the dialogue, isn't t the best I've heard. What it does have are engaging performances, amongst 60's culture, the environment, and it's conditions. With Daniels taking us through the story, it's one cool ride, and a cult rocker classic.

Modding does not get any tougher

Author: Prismark10 from United Kingdom
27 October 2014

From the creator of Masterchef, here is something Franc Roddam made earlier. A film about being young in the 1960s being part of the Mod subculture and alienation and angst with some good tunes and a lot of future cast members of Eastenders if The Bill had not go to them first.

Phil Daniels gives a career defining performance that should had got an Oscar nomination as Jimmy who has a mundane job , boring home life with parents who do not understand him and lives for the weekend clubbing with friends, popping pills and getting into scrapes with his mates.

Jimmy and his friends go off to a bank holiday weekend in Brighton, he wants to get close with girlfriend Lesley Ash, in awe to cool dude Sting and gets in a rumble with greasers.

However Jimmy gets more disillusioned losing his job, friends and family. Seeing Sting as just an ordinary bell boy sends him to the edge.

The film quickly became a cult classic, This Who produced film led to the revival of the late 1970s & early 1980s mod scene. It has some cool tracks, a lot of humour, earthy language and a cast of now familiar actors. In a sense its like a British version of Saturday Night Fever and director Franc Roddam gives this drama a sense of rawness and some vitality when you see the action scenes in Brighton.

The Who's 1973 Album come to life as a feature film staring Phil Daniels and Leslie Ash.

Author: Elliotb-butler18
3 September 2013

Quadrophenia is one of the best films i have ever seen. As me and my family are MODs we love this film. I am only 15 and when i first watched this film it instantly went to the top of my favorite films list. I own over 350 films and counting and this film is the top of my list. In my opinion you need to be a MOD or have an understanding of the concept of MODs and Rockers to fully appreciate this film. The film follows on the Who's 1973 album Quadrophenia which tells the story of Jimmy, a young MOD popping pills and out with his scooter riding mates. Phil Daniels gives a powerful performance as Jimmy with Sting as the Ace Face, the MOD who Jimmy idolized until he finds he is nothing but a bell boy in a hotel and is a nobody. In my opinion the end scene with Jimmy on the ace faces Vespa riding across the cliffs of Brighton with the Who's song I've had enough playing. This is one of the most powerful scenes in film history and i absolutely love it. Love, Reign o'er me. 10 stars out of 10 easy.

How much you appreciate this film probably has a lot to do with where you are from and when you were born.

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
26 August 2013

"Quadrophenia" is a movie that is based in part on the album of the same name by The Who. It also was co-written by Pete Townshend and some of the executive producers included the four members of the band. It's set in the early-mid 1960s in England and concerns Jimmy and his group of 'Mod' friends. The Mods were well before my time but apparently they liked to dress stylishly, drive mopeds and tended towards R&B instead of popular rock 'n roll. Also, the Mods in this film are mostly angry, directionless and seem in many ways like precursors to the punks of the 1970s--though with a much greater fashion sense. Plus, I really cannot imagine punks riding around in motor scooters. But, they both seemed to share a love of violence, drugs and anger.

As far as the plot goes, the film is much like the Mods--rather directionless. This isn't a complaint and the film deliberately chose to show the lack of structure and anger of the Mods. For the most part, these teens drink, fight, take amphetamines, listen to music and stay up all night. Jimmy seems to be among the angriest and most likely to get himself killed. Later in the film, Jimmy and his blokes head to Brighton for a holiday and mayhem ensues. Exactly what happens, you'll need to see for yourself.

As I said above, how much you like the film will depend a lot on you. If you grew up at the same time and place as these hooligans, then perhaps you'll have a feeling of nostalgia watching it. As for me, although the film was well made, it was also unpleasant and I got a bit tired of all the pointlessly angry and disaffected youth. It just wasn't my thing and it's hard to love a film where you cannot stand any of the characters.

A few final observations: I don't think it was unintentional that the leading man, Jimmy, sure looked quite a bit like Townshend. The film sure could have used captions. I saw it on HULU and had to really pay attention to get what they were saying due to the accents. There's also a bit of male frontal nudity--though considering all the violence and anger, I doubt if it's a film you'd show your mom or your kids! Also, the music was very nice--the best part of the film, really.

Good Adaptation of the Album

Author: Michael_Elliott from Louisville, KY
15 February 2013

Quadrophenia (1979)

*** (out of 4)

The Who's 1973 rock opera was turned into a feature film and centers on Jimmy (Phil Daniels), a teenager in the U.K. who deals with a wide range of issues but most of them surrounding growing up in the era. QUADROPHENIA, the album, is considered one of the band's greatest as well as one of the greatest ever made. I never was a big fan of the film TOMMY but I found this one here to be much better overall. I think the greatest thing going for this film is the soundtrack, which not only includes The Who songs from this album but we also get some of their older material (a memorable bit on My Generation) as well as songs from other artists. This soundtracks is certainly something terrific and The Who songs are put to good use here. Another thing working well is the performance of Daniels who perfectly nails this troubled character. I thought he was extremely believable from the start to the finish as he perfectly nailed the various emotions that this teenager is going through. I thought he was especially good towards the end once the guy starts to finally have a breakdown. Leslie Ash is also very cute and charming in her supporting bit. Director Franc Roddam doesn't add too much style to the picture but I found this to be a good thing. What the director does a great job with is the rawness of the picture. It almost feels as if you're watching a documentary on a real group of people because the look and feel of the picture are so on the mark.

a reenactment of a troubling generation

Author: lasttimeisaw from Cairo, Egypt
2 December 2013

Stumbling upon this eponymous tie-in of THE WHO's 1973 rock opera album QUADROPHENIA comes as simple as a happenstance out of a grab bag, haven't heard of the album and being an outsider to this period of mods fashion, it is a primitive yet purest experience to appreciate a film on its own terms.

It is another REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE (1955, 8/10) youth ill at ease, a telling zeitgeist encapsulation recounts a young mod's contradiction against the world in 1960s, his family, his job, his friends, his idol, and his love interest, all fail to gratify him. When the only thing he is left with is a revamped vespa, his destructive bravado indicates whether it is a resounding emblem of all perish together or a belated disillusion to bode farewell to his vapid and futile past? Fortunately the film chooses the latter (unlike the album's more radical stance), so it is a more generically pleasing alternative, but since our protagonist is not such a sympathetic character, a whiff of insouciance is irrevocable to eschew even in the culminating sequences alongside a magnificent precipice.

The mods vs. rockers commotions play a key role in venting the discontent among sociopaths, anarchists and boredom-driven young generation, which is universally pertinent to elsewhere in the world, we may blame youth for their narrow-minded prejudices, but the adult world depicted here is no more appealing neither. Phil Daniels and his pals (Wingett, Davis and Shail) exude excellent street cred of the fashion, although none of them galvanizes me into any further inspection, save Leslie Ash's promiscuous lass, she is the only one seems to be cool about what's happening around and understand the ephemeral phase of idiocy. Sting has a supporting role as mechanical as one can imagine despite of his gorgeousness, and a budding Ray Winstone in his seldom seen role as the injured party of a brawl.

The songs from the namesake album segues fluently throughout the film, nostalgia works much better in audio than visual this time I must say, it is a movie attracts its own cult followers and its socio-cultural astuteness may be worthy of a conscientious rediscovery if put inside a time capsule and wait to be exhumed a few more generations later.

Great Film with mesmerising soundtrack

Author: Wrapper30 from United Kingdom
11 January 2011

I love this film for its simplicity and its absolutely brilliant soundtrack by the Who. Phil Daniels stands out as the mod who changes from disillusioned to moody and then almost psychotic as he gets the 5.15 to Brighton out of his head on pills. There are some great supporting performances though. Michael Elphick is superb as Jimmy's dad and Mark Wingett as his mate and Leslie Ash as Steph are equally effective. Sting as the hero Ace Face has a great screen presence and Toyah as Monkey is infectious. There are so many great scenes in this film but my favourite is where Jimmy and his dad argue about the Who on TV. Who hasn't had that conversation with their parents. A great advert for British films.

Page 3 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]