IMDb > North Dallas Forty (1979) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 4 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Memento mori

Author: Moustafa_Q from United Arab Emirates
27 August 2011

Beautiful, powerful, cold and magnificent.

A superb piece of ice with some shadows of mud.

Poem, exploration of feelings and signs, parable and pledge for resignation.

New version of relation between Oedipus and the Sphinx.

Taste of ash and nostalgic dreams, slices of illusions and subtle search, corpses of hope and mist of fear. Same disillusion and vain desire. Same spider law and strange fight against the Angel.

It is not an atheistic pledge or aesthetic experience. It is only reflection of huge solitude and shadow of Kafkaesque Castle.

A "memento mori" and sounds of Texan voices. The silence of death and a lost football game.

No Fun League

Author: kenjha
22 March 2011

A professional football team makes a season-ending push for the playoffs. The film really tries to belabor the point that playing professional football is hard on the body, with Nolte wincing in pain with almost every movement he makes. Similarly, the ills of professional sports are exaggerated to stress the greed and ruthlessness of this cutthroat business. Nolte is fine as the aging wide receiver while Davis is surprisingly effective in his film debut as the quarterback. Also good is Spradlin as the stern coach who seems to be modeled after Dallas Cowboys coach Tom Landry. The cast features the late Oakland Raider Matuszak as a fierce lineman.

Differences in the book

Author: oldguybc2 from United States
12 September 2010

Just saw this on DVD again after many years and it is, in my mind at least, the best and most honest book about the doings and going- ons behind the screens of pro football out there. Peter Gent was a very good possession receiver, great hands, not much speed but definitely an asset to the late 60s "America's Team". Nick Nolte portrayed his character Phil Elliott pretty much as he intended. Both G. D. Spradlin and Mack Davis were right on the money as the Meredith and Landry characters, great typecasting and real good direction. The one thing different and that I felt really took away from the main story as it was written was the elimination of the "Clinton Foote" character, Tex Schramm in real life, and the sort- of breaking up the instances of his character influence onto the owner, his brother and the Charles Durning coach, all of which didn't even come close to the real story. Too bad, it would have been better with someone, say Telly Savalas or maybe Robert Duvall as Clinton. The ending of the book was also considered real shocking along with some of the characters that made it up which was all Hollywood's doing I am sure, and the Delma Huddle/ Bob Hayes character was also played down except where it was necessary with his injuries and the drama leading up to Nolte's quitting speech "B.A., B.A., you, the owners the coaches, you're the team... We're the equipment!" One thing I would like to know is if the movie director let Matuzak just take what he always took before his Raider games just to get the real life emotions coming out? Probably not but would still like to know. Bo Svendson was believable as Joe Bob but just barely, his manicured nails gave him away and he just didn't come across too good as an offensive lineman, the muscles just weren't in the right places and neither was the demeanor. Matuzak's pre- game hype up was OK but Svendson's reaction was pretty hokey.

One of the best sports' movies

Author: jeremy3 from United States
27 May 2007

This movie ranks up with Hoosiers, Remember The Titans, Eight Men Out, and other outstanding sports' movies. However, this movie may be one of the most accurate and realistic. Nick Nolte is excellent as an aging receiver with gifted hands. Nolte has taken a beating in his profession. Pain killers is not even an option to avoid. The intense pressure and training is portrayed in a very gritty way. The brutality and luck involved in surviving intact is portrayed no better in any other movie. And yet, I would say that this movie was from the football lover's perspective. The movie used some real pro footballers. No matter how bad things got, no one wanted to quit on the team. The footballer lived for the thrill of the game. Lastly, the money side/management side has never been portrayed better in a sport's movie. Dabney Coleman plays the soul-less main investor in the team. No matter how much Nolte's character gave, the business side was going to get him in the end. There was enormous tension between the coaches and the players. The coaches demanded perfection. The players thrived on the spirit of the game, not being treated like robots. The players feared the coaches, but also despised them. I was surprised how good Mac Davis was. He is a singer, but seemed to get how to play a quarterback on a pro team with great believability.

The book was better and had MORE ACTUAL FOOTBALL

Author: rs10r from columbus, ohio
28 February 2005

Peter Gent wrote the book several years before the movie came out. There are so many parts in the movie that just make you scratch your head and go "Huh? How does that fit in?"....or maybe it's just me after having read the book first.

VERY different ending too.

I liked the movie, but when you know MORE of the story than what's portrayed on screen, it kind of leaves you wanting more.

I gotta say B.A. was portrayed better in the movie than in the book. Seemed like Elliott ALMOST actually got the coach to understand him just a little bit.

I liked Nick Nolte. He did a great job in this movie.

I'd recommend it, but if you REALLY want this story, read the book for more drinking, drugs, sex, and on-field FOOTBALL ACTION.

flozz abound

Author: jonathan-577 from Canada
31 March 2007

The opening is perfect, with Nick Nolte's football pro waking up with a bloody nose and feeling every hit from the night before as he tries to navigate the kitchen. The ending is awful, with Duddy Kravitz (and, er, First Blood) director Kotcheff channeling Stanley Kramer in a big speechifying boardroom rigamarole. In between is a pretty fair expose of the business of American sports, with the players ENCOURAGED to remain stupid childish louts so they'll be easier to manage. Unfortunately this movie really wants it both ways on the gender thing - the Smart Girl who rescues Nolte from the daily grind is just a device to facilitate domestic bliss, nothing new there. And condemnations of misogynist violence are married to gratuitous boob shots. Not at all as bad as that makes it sound, but when I recall this movie I remember the lapses, not the many nice touches in between.

40 ways to play football

Author: Lee Eisenberg (lee.eisenberg.pdx@gmail.com) from Portland, Oregon, USA
5 July 2006

Nick Nolte gets the role of a lifetime as the receiver in a Dallas football team whose value to the team may be wearing out. The movie is overall a pretty scathing look at pro sports, showing in one scene how they give a player a shot so that he can keep playing even while injured. But of course, this is Texas, so football is king.

Nolte does very well in his role. Also starring are Mac Davis as the quarterback, and Charles Durning as the coach ("If you moved any slower, you'd be going backwards!"). One can just imagine if "North Dallas Forty" was set in the 21st century, how George W. Bush would probably own the team and everything would thus be connected to the oil industry - although it might have been even back then.

Anyway, this is a very good sports movie, even better than "All the Right Moves". You may not want to play any organized sport after watching this. Also starring Steve Forrest, G.D. Spradlin (the senator in "The Godfather Part II") and Dabney Coleman.

Just Plain Funny

Author: Kevin (isleofdawn) from Ypsilanti, MI
10 December 2003

Nick Nolte never was better. He really does have a flair for comedy. Mac Davis was a riot, too bad he could never follow it up. Even though the movie was an expose of pro football, the "serious" moments flew by quickly and soon got back to what this movie did best, made me laugh. It is one of my all time favorites.

Best Football movie ever

Author: jhopp21 from Scarsdale, NY
23 January 2000

This is by far the greatest football movie ever. Other than the Longest Yard, nothing compares. I recently, saw ANY GIVEN SUNDAY, and the only thing that it did for me, was make me realize just how good this is.

Nolte is tremendous, but to be honest Mac Davis is the real scene stealer. The greatest scene is when Haddon is watching him stretch in the morning...classic!

"Better football through chemistry, huh?"

Author: classicsoncall from Florida, New York
17 August 2014

I recall the book that this film is based on made quite a splash when it came out; I guess it was inevitable that it get a film treatment. I never read the book and only saw the film for the first time today, and man, it was a disappointment. Greatest football film ever? - I don't think so. There's nothing inspiring about the players, coaches or organization in the picture that says to me that football is or was a noble profession. Seriously, I've never, ever seen a more out of shape cast put to celluloid that was meant to represent a professional sports team. The drugs, booze, sex and general mayhem portrayed on screen may be the case, but the entire picture seemed more of a caricature than reality. And watching it today, very much anachronistic. Busted for a joint! - that's the least of a ball player's worries today, just ask a Cincinnati Bengal. I just couldn't get over how seamy the whole thing was. For a football picture I actually liked, I'd have to go with "The Longest Yard" - that would be the Burt Reynolds original, not the Adam Sandler one.

Page 4 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]