IMDb > The Muppet Movie (1979) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Muppet Movie

The Muppet Movie More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 10: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection...

Author: mdm-11 from United States
1 June 2005

This film is one of my fondest childhood memories. Seeing the Muppets (at the height of their popularity) heading Hollywood, singing and dancing, with Miss Piggy googely-eying her beloved Kermit, Fozzie Bear doing his best as everyone's manager, and a generous cast of "extras" delivering a film that turned out to be "okey dokey".

Kermit's melancholy ukulele number "Rainbow Connection" was nominated for an Oscar that year, but was beat out by Norma Rae's "It Goes Like It Goes". I'll pick Kermit's song any day! Get the kids and enjoy this timeless fantasy...someday they'll find it, the rainbow connections, the lovers, the dreamers and me!

the joy of Muppets

Author: AC4077BD
6 October 2004

The Muppet Movie is a pure delight. I cant stop watching this movie. It has great catch phrases and one liners that will stick with you for years. A soundtrack to last a life-time. I consider Rainbow Connection to be a perfect song. Follow Kermit the Frog on his way to Hollywood. He is influenced to an audition for frogs wishing to become rich and famous. On the way he meets his future Muppet pals and a gaggle of legendary guest stars. This film has the last appearance of Edger Bergen and Charlie McCarthy. Kermit and pals must also doge Doc Hopper, a enterprising frog leg restaurant chain owner. The humor has a ridiculous charm. This is as close to Monty Python humor as an American writer can get. You will be beaming like a star all throughout the film. This film is a timeless and ageless classic. Add it to your collection now!!!

The Muppets make the big screen

Author: (wedaniel@email.com) from USA
5 June 2004

I have not seen this movie since 1979 when I was a teenager. I grew up with the Sesame street muppets and later realized how much effort and time went into bringing these characters to life. Jim Hensen was a genius and master muppeteer. When I watched this movie the other day it took me back in time when I was younger and things seemed so much simpler. For this bit of time travel I rate this movie a 10.

The plot line explores how Kermit goes from the swamp to Hollywood. The laughs and gags are classic muppetism. I am glad these films are still around for the next generation. I hope I never out grow the magic of the muppets.

Secretly one of the greatest films of the last 30 years

Author: lawnboy-5 from Seattle, Washington
24 April 2000

Too often it seems we run around in circles looking for things to satisfy our deepest yearnings- in music, in film, in life, whatever- only to find out, sometimes years later, that precisely what we wanted is right under our noses, or as the case may be, right in our past. The Muppet Movie was one of the first movies I remember seeing as a child, and it certainly enhanced my childhood and gave me a lot to think and dream about for a little kid, but the good news is that even now, it has lost nothing for me.

The Muppets have always had a tremendous and subtle sophistication about them-- it's the type of thing that Disney always shoots for and rarely perfectly gets- that cast of characters who for children are endearing and accessible, but for adults have a whole different dimension of wit and personality that is hard to come by for even human actors half the time. And yet every muppet in this movie posesses that- even Animal! In fact, the movie- where the Muppets seem to be doing battle with every bumbling human to come along and attempt to take advantage of them (usually Doc Hopper but occasionally the excellent cameo cast)- is a metaphor for what I'm talking about. At the end of the day, the only characters we really believe in are the Muppets, not the humans- the humans come across flatter, less imaginative, far less inspiring. Kermit's combination of an existential dilemma and drive to succeed within himself are still chock full of beauty and honor, even to someone long since past grammar school. It's easier to care deeply about these Muppets in this film than hundreds of real human protagonists I've seen on the big screen.

And as for emotional power- there are some movies that will cheer you up when you're down, and then there are films that will under no circumstances let you be down no matter how hard you try. This movie is definitely in the second category. It seems to achieve this firstly by the excellent script and aptly placed, well-written songs (when was the last time you could say that about a children's movie?), and secondly, oddly enough, by the directorial feel of the movie. Its pacing, its rambling-down-the-road quality, and its cinematic embellishments (the coziness of the restaurant that Kermit and Piggy go to, the eerie comfort of the desert fire, the smoky comedy club) all create this sort of intangible warmth that just radiates right off the screen. I wish someone today could recapture that again.

So yeah, make sure your kids see The Muppet Movie. But don't commit the sin of growing out of it yourself. We miss you, Jim...

The Beginning of a Quality Family Film Franchise,

Author: Dillon Harris from Ireland
8 January 2014

The Muppet Movie is a fantastic movie with a very well developed storyline that is sweet,very funny and filled with lovable characters.The film is packed with a ton of fun and laughs that the whole family will enjoy and also has many beautiful music numbers,of course the Rainbow Connection is a great song.The movie is the first of the many films starring the Muppets that follow,they are great films that have never failed to entertain me and bring me joy. The film is also packed with many well known celebrity cameos,and all of them are gold,my favourite would have to be Mel Brooks.Fans of the Muppet Show should definitely watch and will love the Muppet Movie.

Kermit recalls how he decided to try and make it big in Hollywood and how he met all his friends who end up coming with him along the way.

"I Guess I Was Wrong When I Said I Never Promised Anyone. I Promised Me."

Author: Benjamin Black
4 June 2013

Of course I love this movie! What's not to love about it? It's funny, it's musical, it's entertaining, it's emotional, it's everything that embodies the Muppets!

In this movie we see how the Muppets got their start to stardom and fame; it's sort of a very loose parody of Jim Henson's start to fame, if I understand it right. Kermit the Frog enjoys his life in the swamp, but begins riding his bike to Hollywood after an agent tells him he should go and "make millions of people happy." From there, he runs into a number of characters who have the same dream of making it big in Hollywood: Fozzie Bear, The Electric Mayhem, Scooter, The Great Gonzo, Camilla the Chicken, Miss Piggy, Rowlf the Dog, Dr. Honeydew and Beaker, and others. Since this is the first Muppet movie, it began the tradition of including celebrity cameo appearances. We see Bob Hope, Richard Pryor, Steve Martin, Madeline Kahn, Carol Kane, Orson Wells, Jim Henson's wife, Jane, Edgar Bergen - the man who inspired Jim Henson to go into puppetry - and many other celebrities. My favorite cameo, though, is Big Bird! Yes, Big Bird is in this movie! "I'm on my way to New York City to try to break into public television." I love that line!

So, why does this movie work so well? I think it goes back to the fact that the Muppets are giving us their own style of entertainment, rather than them trying to conform to something else. There are a lot of scenes in this movie that take place that, to be fair, don't really need to happen. They don't really move the story forward, but Jim Henson and his writers and producers knew just how to make this stuff work. Take the scene where Gonzo flies in the sky with the balloons. It's a nice scene, but does it get the gang to Hollywood any quicker? Not really. How about when they all get to Hollywood just to have the lady at the front desk tell them they can't come in? It lasts less than 2 minutes, and they get in anyway. Was it really worth it to have that moment there? Probably not. And with that, the ending is something straight out of a fairy tale. The Muppets go to Lew Lord and tell him they want to be rich and famous, and Lew Lord just grants their request just like that? There's nothing realistic about that! Had any of these scenes been done in any other movie by any other group of people or any other production studio, I would really hate them! But this talented group of people knew what to do to make it entertaining, delightful, and great. That's the magic of Jim Henson and his Muppets: he gives us something that normally wouldn't work, and makes it work so well that we'd come to love it! That takes a lot of great talent and creativity!

The songs are other elements that don't add much to the simple plot of the movie, but, again, they're done so well here that we come to love and remember all of them! "Moving Right Along," "Can You Picture That," "Never Before," "I Hope That Something Better Comes Along," "I'm Going to Go Back There Someday," "The Magic Store/Finale," but, of course, everybody loves and remembers the Oscar-nominated classic, "The Rainbow Connection." They're beautiful, they're fun, and they're so very touching. They stay with us, in our souls! That is powerful!

Everyone always talks about how funny the Muppets are, and that shows in this movie! But very rarely do you hear about the heartfelt moments as well. The Muppets remind you through the emotions they experience that they feel just like we feel. Kermit's overall objective in this movie is probably the best example of this. He doesn't want to go to Hollywood simply to become rich and famous, it's not as superficial as that. He wants to go to Hollywood because it's his dream. What Kermit wants more than anything is for his dream to come true. You really feel for him during the scene when he talks to his conscience. He actually begins doubting himself, saying he never promised he'd make it. I love his last line in that scene: "I guess I was wrong when I said I never promised anyone. I promised me." Kermit begins to believe in himself again, and is determined to make his dream come true. That's pretty deep! Again, it's not something as superficial as just making a lot of money. The magic of his dream comes from, as he shares with Doc Hopper, the fact that he shared his dreams with others and they shared the dream with him.

With that, sidebar, was I the only one asking what's wrong with Doc Hopper? You're really going to spend time and energy tracking down one frog all over the country? Why not get another frog? Why not do something that doesn't harm frogs at all? This man is stupid.

Once again we have great Muppet tricks that make us stop and ask how did they do that. If you look up the facts about this movie either on this website or on Wikipedia, you'll learn how the Muppets were able to drive. Everyone went crazy when they saw Kermit riding a bicycle for the first time! There's a lost episode of "The Jim Henson Hour" that explains it if you're still curious. It's called "Secret of the Muppets," look it up on YouTube.

Final thoughts: "The Muppet Movie" is a great, fantastic film! It has everything you want a Muppet movie to have. This movie has been a favorite of mine since I was a kid, and I still love it now! Check it out, you won't be disappointed, folks! BOOYIKA!

Will leaving you feeling warm inside

Author: tomgillespie2002 from United Kingdom
5 August 2012

Maybe it's my age, or maybe it was due to the fact that I was rarely allowed to watch children's television, but my early life was sadly without Jim Henson and his hugely successful creation The Muppets. Because of this, I've always felt somewhat reluctant, and almost undeserving, to tackle the Muppet movies, feeling that my lack of childhood experiences of Kermit, Miss Piggy et al with hamper my enjoyment of them, or I will somehow not 'get it'. Well, after 27 Muppet-free years, Marc swayed me into finally taking the plunge, and, I'm happy to say, The Muppet Movie was an amazing experience, and one that made me feel like I'd known the vast array of characters for years.

After a chance meeting with a Hollywood agent, Kermit the Frog leaves the comfort of his swamp in order to travel to Hollywood for an audition. Yet he is pursued by fast-food chain store owner Doc Hopper (Charles Durning), who sees Kermit as the perfect face to head his advertising campaign to promote his failing French-fries frog legs business. Kermit has other ideas, and after a punch up in the El Sleezo bar, he escapes with Fozzie Bear (a-wacca-wacca!) and his Studebaker. Further down the road he picks up more eager passengers, such as Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem, the Great Gonzo, and Miss Piggy, who falls in love with Kermit after winning a beauty pageant.

While the 'origin' movie is quite often the route that TV series take when taking the leap into movies, The Muppet Movie benefits from taking an almost classical take on the road movie. It is not about the destination, but the journey, and the journey is peppered from hilarious set-pieces, satirical swipes, and quite beautifully written (and performed) songs. The Muppets always appealed to all ages, and adults have the pleasure of enjoying many self-reflexive moments and audience awareness (Kermit turns to camera and says "I hope you appreciate I'm doing all my stunts!"), as well as cameos from the likes of James Coburn, Mel Brooks, Bob Hope, Steve Martin, Richard Pryor, Madeline Kahn, Elliot Gould, and Orson Welles.

Amongst all the mayhem, there is also a quite beautiful moment in Gonzo crooning "I'm Going to Go Back There Someday", recollecting his past in the sky and desire to return someday. "Rainbow Connection" is also a great song, but my favourite musical moment has to be "Movin' Right Along", gleefully sang by Kermit (on his banjo) and Fozzie - the movie really came to life for me here. It's moments like these that really make this movie special, and something that can hopefully still be cherished by modern consumerism-obsessed children (if they can pull themselves away from their i-Phone). Marc warned me that if this film didn't leave me feeling warm inside then there is no hope for me. Well, thankfully it did, so maybe there's hope for me yet.

www.the-wrath-of-blog.blogspot.com

Having not seen this in years, The Muppet Movie retains its charm to my child-like heart

Author: tavm from Baton Rouge, LA
26 November 2011

With The Muppets out on screens right now, I decided to rewatch the first feature that starred the late Jim Henson's creations for the movies-The Muppet Movie. This was pure entertainment from beginning to end especially with all those celebrity cameos that abounded with perhaps the most hilarious coming from Steve Martin and Mel Brooks. There was also an amusing and touching one from Edgar Bergen with his dummy Charlie McCarthy. Amusing because of what was said and touching because they were the inspiration for Henson's career and that Bergen would soon pass away afterwards which was the reason for the dedication at the end-"Dedicated to the memory and magic of Edgar Bergen". Besides the mostly hilarious screenplay by Jerry Juhl and Jack Burns, there were also wonderful songs by Paul Williams and Kenny Ascher of which the most inspirational was "The Rainbow Connection" as performed by Kermit the Frog at the beginning and which was later Oscar-nominated but lost to "It Goes Like It Goes" from Norma Rae. Oh, and Charles Durning was a hoot as the villain. Now I think I'll go rewatch The Great Muppet Caper...

Why Are There So Many Songs About Rainbows?

Author: kylehaines96 from United States
29 September 2011

Director James Frawley gives us the first in a line of many Muppet movies with The Muppet Movie. The movie is about Kermit The Frog showing us a film about how the muppets not only met but got their start. The film follows Kermit, Fozzie, Gonzo, Miss Piggy, Rowlf, and Dr. Teeth and The Electric Mayhem going across the country to find their start in Hollywood. Meanwhile Doc Hopper played by Charles Durning is chasing after Kermit to use him as a spokes person for his new french fried frog leg restaurant. The film includes cameos from Steve Martin, Richard Pryor, Bob Hope, Edgar Bergen(this is also his last film role),Elliot Gould, Big Bird played by Carrol Spinney and many more. The Muppet Movie is the first movie in a long time that has left me with a good feeling and a smile on my face. I definitely recommend The Muppet Movie.

Rated G.

1hr 35min/95min.

****/****

Lights, Cameras, Action! What a brilliant movie!

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
28 August 2009

I am 17, and a biased Muppet fan, and while I love Treasure Island, Christmas Carol and Great Muppet Caper, The Muppet Movie absolutely deserves to be up there with the best of them. It is enormously entertaining, thanks to the snappy script by Jerry Juhl, and the film looks lovely, with some beautifully staged musical numbers. Speaking of the songs, I really liked them, sure they aren't the best song score out of the Muppet franchise, but they were very nice to listen to, especially Never Before and Rainbow Connection. Rainbow Connection is now one of my favourite Muppet songs along with First Time It Happens and Professional Pirate. The Muppets as usual were fantastic, particularly the always delightful Miss Piggy, and the chemistry between Kermit and Fozzie was great. And what a brilliant human cast- from Bob Hope to Orson Welles, from Madeleine Kahn(the same wonderful actress who brought us hilarious movies like What's Up Doc?, Blazing Saddles and Clue) to Cloris Leachman, from Steve Martin to Richard Pryor, all of whom made memorable guest appearances, if careful not to overshadow the Muppets in a fantastic film. 10/10 Bethany Cox

Page 4 of 10: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]