IMDb > Moonraker (1979) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Moonraker

Moonraker More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 28: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Bond Meets Star Wars

Author: kenjha
3 May 2009

The eleventh in the series and the fourth to feature Moore, it starts off pretty well as Bond investigates the disappearance of a space shuttle, taking him from California to Venice to Brazil. The locales are nice and the action scenes are well executed. Then the action shifts to space and the film becomes tedious and drags on far too long. It's obviously an attempt to cash in on the recent success of "Star Wars" but the film would have done better to stay grounded. Lonsdale makes a capable villain while Chiles and Clery are lovely if standard-issue Bond girls. Kiel returns as Jaws, gets a girlfriend, and even gets a line of dialog. Barry provides one of his better scores.

James Bond at his.....er.....er.

Author: jubilee77 from United Kingdom
25 November 2008

Seems to me that James Bond was at his worst in Moonraker as some film critics would say and there appears to be a lot of flaws about this film. I have seen it loads of times and there obviously appears to be lots of good points about it and the plots worked out well while in other parts of the film's length, there are some weaknesses. I like the country settings particularly when set in Venice and Rio whereas the settings of Drax's "stately mansion" would actually have been impossible to be set in a heart of a Southern Californian vineyard or dessert as he would have been living in Las Vegas-style luxury instead while a giant 7.1 Richard Kiel steals the show with a second and one more appearance as a lovable steel-toothed henchman called Jaws. Around that time, much to his own embarrassment, Roger Moore had to complete two other films (North Sea Hyjack and Escape to Athena) that were issued the same year as Moonraker, neither of them were a success in the box office but a disaster and was this coupled with the reason why the critics rated Moonraker as "underrated" and a worst James Bond film and Roger Moore being either a typecast and can't act? In some philosophical point of view, this had little to do with the typecast actor's acting abilities but mainly due to "landing quite by accident" in some silly film plot that just didn't work of some kind.

Bond in space

Author: Marnix ten Brinke from Netherlands
19 November 2008

Moonraker went over the top, but it's still highly enjoyable.

After the success of The Spy Who Loved Me, the producers felt Bond movies could even be more outrageous.

The audience loved it and Moonraker became the most successful Bond movie ever, until 1995 when GoldenEye was released.

The actors don't have much to do between all the special effects, including James 'Roger Moore' Bond himself.

The storyline can't be taken seriously, but it doesn't attempt to be serious. The space-scenes, though admittedly ridiculous, do look real from a 1979 point of view.

Moonraker was a roller-coaster ride from beginning until the end and the people loved it.

Skywalker. Luke Skywalker.

Author: cordaro9418 from United States
10 September 2008

If you watched the end credits to 'Spy Who Loved Me', you read that James Bond would return in 'For Your Eyes Only'...

... that was until 'Star Wars' took over the known universe.

Loosely... very loosely based on the Ian Flemming premise, Moonraker takes us where no Spy has gone before. This film does for Moore what 'You Only Live Twice' did for Connery, it paid the bills.

Take a good female sung title song and John Barry score, mix it with great locations and exotic women, shake it up and then fling it into the upper atmosphere. It'll stick to the wall, but the epic length really doesn't lead to epic film.

Still, a good bond vehicle and popcorn movie.

Maybe too fanciful but still enjoyable

Author: michelerealini from Switzerland
4 October 2005

After "The spy who loved me" Bond producers wanted to do "For your eyes only". But the massive "Star Wars" success made them change their mind -sending 007 to space.

"Moonraker" (1979) is maybe too fanciful and slapstick, with too many special effects, stunts and gadgets. The film goes too far away also from the previous movie ("The spy"), which was perfect.

But "Moonraker" is very well done, from a technical point of view it's a masterpiece. It's surprising to see how everything was made with accuracy -for movies, in 1978-79, there were neither computers nor CGI effects.

The film is really funny and entertaining, with beautiful sceneries and sets. Venice, France, California, Brazil and Guatemala are the fantastic locations. Scenes in the space are only in the last 30 minutes of the movie -so it's not true that the film is entirely set in the space, as some detractors say.

The film contains also homages to "The magnificent seven", "Close encounters of the third kind" and "2001" -discover them! 7,5/10

Good movie.

Author: cd9652a from Washigton, DC
3 August 2003

Before watching this movie I had heard a lot of negative remarks about this movie. I was pleasantly surprised at how good this movie was. The plot was pretty interesting, the main villain was pretty charismatic and Roger Moore was actually better here then in many of his previous movies. He showed well his fragility when he refuses the helping hand of Dr. Goodyear just when he gets out of the space capsule that was turning around pretty fast in circles. Even the soundtrack sang yet again by Shirley Basset is pretty good. It has similarities with 'the spy who loved me' but is as good as that movie and in some aspects even better. Some people may not like the space battle but I thought it was quite cool for a 1979 movie. I enjoyed the part of the various people who were selected for the space station and we get to see them in the space shuttles with the heavenly theme being played.

Real entertaining! I had fun!

Author: Casey_Moriarty from Orange County, California
18 January 2003

Yeah, it's campy, far fetched and hokey. But I like that. A good villain, and Jaws, who gets some character depth, help the entertainment value. Technically, it isn't very good, but it's entertaining and that what counts. 7/10!

Champagne! If it's the '69, you've been expecting me!

Author: hugh1971 from London
23 July 2002

(may contain spoilers)

Yes, Moonraker has its bad points, but overall it's worth watching.

First of all here are the major flaws:

This was the first Bond film in which Mr Moore started to look just a little bit past it. He seems to have aged quite a bit in the two years since the excellent 'The Spy Who Loved Me' and his wardrobe doesn't help - naff looking flares, blazers and safari suits in comparison with the far cooler suits and naval uniform of TSWLM. The makeup team also seem to have gone over the top with the hairspray - perhaps to keep Mr Moore's hair in place during 'zero-g'?

Some great action scenes are spoiled by poor special effects and editing. For example, the fight scene on the cable car had an obviously fake backdrop - surely this could have been done more realisticly with a safety net or good camera angles (like in the Harold Lloyd films)?

The whole of Drax's evil plan is ultimately pointless. Why go to all the trouble and expense of building a space station for a few people? Why not use a sealed underground cave (which he already has) while the rest of the earth is gassed? Surely this would be easier.

The humour is poor. Bond films (especially those with Mr Moore) have always been funny but the humour has usually been verbal. In this film feeble attempts at visual humour abound, such as our friend from TSWLM who looks at his bottle when he sees Bond driving the gondola. (Hmm - remind me to buy some of that hallucinogenic wine from Italy.)

Now the good points!

Excellent score - the music is really atmospheric and there are some memorable tunes that I found myself humming after the film.

Superb locations, (even if Drax's Amazonian lair does look like a 1970s garden centre)

To balance the feeble visual humour, Bond has some good quips: 'If it's the '69, you've been expecting me'...'I think he had a crush on me'...'your perfume is a trifle overpowering'...'Heartbroken, Mr Drax'.

Good supporting work by Mr Lonsdale and Ms Chiles, as reasonably believable villain and Bond girl. Even though Jaws is played more for laughs, Mr Keil still manages to make him a frightening opponent.

You know back in 1979 they thought this was the best since goldfinger

Author: jaws-23 from Belmont, Australia
6 August 1999

This is one of my personal favourites, as Bond goes to some great locations (Venice, Rio, Space?). But reading reveiw's for the film 'For Your Eyes Only'(from the time of it's release) it actually said that this was one of the best Bond films around and was on par with the excellent Goldfinger and i'm pretty sure that most of you people will disagree with that these days

My second favourite

Author: Rrrobert from Australia
31 July 1999

Well after the quite serious "On Her Majesty's Secret Service", "Moonraker" is possibly my favourite Bond film. What I love about Moonraker is it fast paced style; jumping quickly from one dramatic stunt (and location) to the next. There are lots of good fight scenes and well-executed stunts throughout the film. I love the way in each location Bond spies a glamorous lovely eyeing him off and then when he finally arrives at Drax's Head Quarters, all those lovely girls assemble and we realise (well, we sorta already guessed) that they are all baddies who have been following Bond through the entire movie. The film is light-hearted with a comic-book style throughout, but that said I find many of its sequences quite dramatic and suspenseful. I also think the general plot is quite good; its all very suspenseful and mysterious and at each dazzling location we find another clue to the puzzle, but the truth is not revealed until the end. The musical score is great too.

Why do people go on about this film copying from "Star Wars" when in fact everything in the film is pure Bond. The closing battle is pure Bond. And it is not the first Bond film to feature space sequences... what about "You Only Live Twice" and "Diamonds Are Forever"? What is so wrong with outer space anyway?! I really can't understand why people don't like this film!!